Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

Damn road trips made me miss a day. Day Most difficult game for me would've been...

F-Zero_GX_box_artwork.png

for reasons previously stated.

Anyways, favorite story would be:

250px-The_World_Ends_With_You.jpg

THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU

The story in this is just awesome. One of my favorite things about the story is that the characters are more realistic than your typical RPG protagonists. These characters face problems that many people around the world have faced, and that way more people can relate to the game. Also, the storytelling was really well done. There were definitely a lot of "OH SHIT" moments for me. Also, there's an awesome use of the "Chekov's Gun" principle. This is probably the only game where I felt sympathetic about more than 2 characters. Well done Square, you made a masterpiece. *still waiting patiently for a sequel*

DAY 14 - FAVORITE STORY

Kingdom Hearts

Kingdom_Hearts_logo.png

What is this? The third time I mentioned Kingdom Hearts? The series has GOT to be good for me to do that.

Kingdom Hearts has several small stories that all branch into one.

BBS_Aqua.jpg

It all started with this game. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. Even though it came out way after the other titles, it still doesn't change the fact when this game takes place. I'll cut the story short.

Basically, some guy named Xehanort wants to start a keyblade war. He tries to forge the X-Blade and reveal Kingdom Hearts from the sky. He fails but he succeeds in branching out his plans. He takes over Terra which is the plot for every other game.

Terra turns into a heartless and a nobody after his heart was released from his body. Terra's heartless - Ansem is the plot for Kingdom Hearts.

kingdom_hearts_005.jpg

Sora, the new keyblade hero has to stop Ansem from destroying all the worlds. He succeeds by going through all the different Disney Worlds slowing down his plan for domination.

Kingdom Hearts COM and 358/2 Days happen after I.. but I've already talked about those games before.

Kingdom Hearts II happens, which is set right after 358/2 Days. Sora has to stop Xemnas from releasing Kingdom Hearts for his own use.

Kingdom-Hearts-3D-Dream-Drop-Distance-Jump-Festa-2012-Full-Screen-Trailer-English-Subs.jpg

Or maybe it was Darth Vader? I couldn't tell.

RE:Coded happens which is about a hidden message stuck inside Sora's journey journal. Mickey goes out and decodes the message.

Basically... almost all the main characters are in deep suffering (excluding Sora/Riku) so Sora has to save them.

Which is where Dream Drop Distance takes off. Xehanort (Terra's body) has had his nobody/heartless defeated so his original form is back.

kingdom_hearts_dream_drop_distance_young_xehanort_by_punktormaline-d4jm377.jpg

Then we have to impatiently wait until Kingdom Hearts III comes out.

Other stories I loved?

marioluigibowser_guide_1255140912.jpg

The humor was hilarious and the overall story was awesome. Who knew that a Mario game could have a deep story? I loved every moment of this game and the tons of twists thrown in the game. The game also throws you into two different viewpoints which was pretty unique.

WII53.pre_zelda.box_01--article_image.jpg

A young boy has to save the princess. Original, right? I loved all the intense moments that made you sit on the edge of your seat.

I have more, but I have to go. D=

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 14 - Favorite story

gaminfamous2titlescreen.jpg

I'll just go with Infamous again. I keep gushing about this game, but I enjoy it so much. Infamous is built around your decision to be good and evil. That itself indicates a good story most of the time. You can see how Cole's life changes throughout the story. You see his pain, he see his betrayl, and you see his want to become stronger. You feel his helplessness against the beast, and his struggle to save humanity.

The end was also neat (both Evil and Hero). You learn that throughout an important struggle, you have to sacrifice something.

Edited by Victory Defender

Majora_box.jpg

This is one of the best stories.

It's so very subtle and so much is open to the player's interpretation that it's just an enjoyable semi-open world experience and probably one of my favourite games of all time.

Not only does this game have an interesting main plot, there are numerous sidequests all with their own plots that are all linked in some way, and it's always enjoyable putting the pieces of the puzzle together. I've replayed the sidequests far more often than the actual main quest, in fact.

Something that also sticks out is that many common Zelda elements such as Ganon or Princess Zelda herself are not in this game (barring one flashback of Zelda giving Link the Ocarina of Time). It's generally a great game and if you only play one Zelda, make it this one.

• Thumbs Up 1

>ask question about the day's category purely for the purposes of saying Pheonix Wright

>decide not to say Pheonix Wright

Snatcher

I've always thought that Kojima is an extremely intelligent man. Perhaps even the George Lucas of our time, regarding his ability to intertwine, update and redesign classical ideas and plot ideas so that they can be better related to modern audiences. Hell, I'm of the opinion that MGS2 was just a dozen hours of him fucking with people because he was aware of how people viewed him like that.

So what happens when that vision and intelligence is filtered through someone (Jeremy Blaustein) who understands that vision, respects that vision but also knows that certain pieces of that vision are just too damn crazy/obscure to deal with? You get Snatcher.

Ostensibly Blade Runner glued to Invasion of the Body Snatchers, ultimately the story far outshines such a summary. It is a tale riddled with (believable) plot twists, clever story decisions, believable multifaceted characters who make intelligent realistic decisions to move the story along rather than it just being a guiding hand that moves them. There is constant strain in the background caused by the setting that makes everyone at least somewhat emotionally fatigued, which even shows in the decisions some of the characters make and the paths that they go down.

And even though it drags a little bit in places, and a couple of parts of it are kind of predictable once the pieces are in place, overall it is an enjoyable romp. Even better, unlike the Metal Gear games (with the third one perhaps being the exception), the game was designed in a way that you can just play it and enjoy it, but if you take the time and effort to learn the backstory (which is carefully and extensively detailed in the game), it is so much more rewarding.

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 1

Have I done this todays yet? I don't think so...

In story terms, I always enjoy a touch of humour in everything. And while I could have a Disgaea game as my entry, I think I'm going to pick this game again...

zhpboxart.jpg

I've already mentioned how the story begins, so here it is, again.

The hero, the Unlosing Ranger is on route to a duel with the big bad final boss, Darkdeath Evilman. Only to die in a hit and run, right in front of me. What's that? You want me to take your place? Alright! What's the worse that could happen?

And so the story begins as you are killed at the hands of Darkdeath Evilman and now you must train yourself as a new hero to defeat this evilman...only...it ain't easy...

It sounds very silly and might be off putting for some. But if you give it a chance, you won't regret it. The story has some real heartwarming moments. As the entire world witnessed your defeat as the Unlosing Ranger at the hands of Darkdeath Evilman, the civilians begin to lose hope and while your training to become a stronger hero, you help out these individual civilians who have a personal problem that can re-open there heart and accept that the Unlosing Ranger can beat this evil.

You start by saving an old man, that died of a heart attack when the Unlosing Ranger was defeated. The world you train in is an alternate universe of our normal world, and everyone has a counter version in this alternative world. The old man of the alt world hadn't passed away yet, so all you have to do is stop it from happening and the old man of the real world will be brought back.

As you progress you help out many others too. Like a young girl being bullied, a normal man turned terrorist, a young couple running from all there problems, the American President, your own family and even Darkdeath Evilman himself.

Okamiden-image.jpg

Okami

Undeniably one of the best stories that I have ever gotten the chance to see. Just everything about the story just hits me in the heart, from the overall Japanese mythology elements, incredibly loveable characters, a proper blend between light and colorful and serious and dark, as well as all of the twists, turns and touching moments it holds. I could go on about Susano's rise to epicness, Issun's blips of development, and everything about Waka, but I don't really have the time for all of that.

Sonic_Advance_2_-_11_Cream_%26_Cheese.png

Cream's Story from Sonic Advance 2

I know that there is like nothing to the story for this game, though Cream actually gets a bit of one in the end. Her story is basically her, a six year old little girl, along with her pet killing machine, kicking robot ass and saving her mother from the clutches of the most infamous villain on the face of the planet, and that's what I adore about it.

Pokemon-Black-White-Record-Breaking-Sales.jpg

Pokemon Black & White

Personally, this is the pinnacle of story in the Pokemon series, the characters were all loveable on their own merit, but what I loved most about them is how they test your very moral. N is the best example of this, seeing as throughout the game, he's confused, not only does he make you question yourself, but you make him question his goals. Then there's Belle and Cheren, two examples that give you a bit more depth when it comes to story elements, and even provide examples of how pokemon professors (Belle) and gym leaders (possibly Cheren) end up going for those goals. Plus the progression is nice, though the game is much easier than most other games in the series, I honestly had to cry and clap once i reached the end of the main story.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 14: Favorite video game story

fc066q.jpg

There's no way to really explain this game's story beyond the first chapter without giving any surprise away, but like Carbo said earlier, it is an amnesia plot done right. Every single chapter leaves you guessing, and it is seriously fucking amazing just how well Takumi made sure that the audience knew exactly the amount of information that these characters know. Sometimes, the audience knows more or less, but this game treats them as part of the cast, if that makes sense. The writing is top-notch, and the characters are amazing. Everything is carefully crafted, and this is one game where you do not want to spoil yourself even just a little bit.

Sissel is one of my favorite protagonists of all time. Something about him just oozes "cool," and throughout the beginning of the story he struggles with determining the right time to help someone if it means helping himself, or if he should play the selfless hero by bringing someone back to life without getting anything in return. Everything about him is believable and heartfelt, and I feel like Takumi does a great job at designing characters like Sissel and Phoenix who wish to do the right thing, but do it for reasons other than "I just have to be good." They want to uncover the truth to their situation, and they'll stop at nothing to learn it, even if it means their potential downfall.

The climax is one of the most emotional climaxes I have ever experienced in any game. Each character's story is satisfyingly wrapped up, and this is the point where everything feels at stake. Overall, I love the Ace Attorney series but Ghost Trick trumps it in every way, and this has truly made me hope that Takumi goes on to make more original projects rather than just restrict himself to what's popular and already known.

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 14: Favorite Story

OkamiNTSCcoverFinal.jpg

Okami

Well shit, practically everyone here already said what I wanted to say about this game. The world is very rich, colorful, and charming with this game's wonderful use of Japanese lore (which in turn, just like everything else in this game, blends in perfectly with this game's art style). The characters are all likable and well rounded, developing as the game progresses. I like Amaterasu in particular because I'm quite fond of silent protagonists when they're done right and Ammy is just full of life as a character. The best part about this game's story I think are the twists the game throws at you. Just as you think the game is going to end, it doesn't and sends you off on a bigger and better journey, and you see just how large this land you travel in is.

Runner ups go to the entire Ace Attorney series, and Lost Odyssey.

Edited by Nix

My favorite story out of a video game? That's a REALLY tough one to give definitively. So I'll break it down into favorite comedic story, favorite tragic story, favorite branching story, favorite adventure story.

Favorite Comedic Story

sam-max.jpg

Sam & Max (Telltale Series)

I never played Sam & Max Hit the Road, so I didn't know what to expect out of this series. As it turns out, it's not really a series that you can even make expectations of. Here you have a well-dressed dog and a psychopathic rabbit who run a freelance detective agency. It only gets crazier from there. Literally; no episode has been less bizarre or outlandish than the last; the first episode of the first season starts with you tracking down a former child star who's started a hypnosis scheme in a desperate attempt to become successful again and by the last episode of the last season, Max becomes Cthulu and you have to turn him back to normal from the inside. As for the writing, think Homestar Runner meets L.A.Noire. Anarchic, semi-cultural, self-referential and self-deprecating humor across the board mixed with improvised forensics. It almost parodies the lines of logic the medium's given in the past, as you're very rarely going to save the day without making a line of bigger, easily avoided problems along the way while pretending it never happened. Like in the first episode, you shoot a guy's brakelights and give him a $10,000 ticket so you can buy a cheap item that you need to use once or twice. What else to say but that there's really never a dull moment. It's one of the few franchises that's made success out of the episodic formula, and when you beat Valve at something, that's no small feat.

Runners up: Paper Mario: TTYD, Mario & Luigi 3, Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, Poker Night at the Inventory

Favorite Tragic Story

demon_soul.jpg

Demon's Souls

This game is very understated and subtle, and it's not hard to feel like there's a lot going on that you don't understand. Which is fine, because the people of the world it takes place in seem to feel the same way. People cling to the idea of a loving God in a world he has forsaken. Disease and hardship plague the world so the people desperately seek something to believe in. People turn to religion and miracles, believing them to be the only escape from this nightmare, but the miracles only exist because souls exist, and souls exist because there is no longer an afterlife now that God is gone. In their quest for absolution and salvation, people consume the souls of the dead for power, so even the only good thing left about this world is a sin. There are only two people left in the world who realize this and choose to try and repair the world, Maiden Astrea and Garl Vinland, and you kill them. And the ending? You either choose to perpetuate this crapsack world by sacrificing your will or to destroy the world entirely. You'd be hard pressed to find more of a downer title, but it's a very beautifully told story with interesting Nietzchian undertones.

Runners up: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Fallout 3, Metal Gear Solid 3

Favorite Branching Story

Deadrising_boxart.jpg

I'm kind of fed up with zombies as a whole, but while they were still interesting to me, this game was at the peak of my intrigue. While the sequel kind of falls into the Hollywood-ized ironic, over-the-top and quirky story catagory, Dead Rising 1 felt more like what would actually happen in a zombie outbreak. Some people would go crazy, others would fight back. Some would run for their lives and others would just kill themselves. What's more, these felt like actual people. They weren't hot babes or hilarious goofballs, these were average-looking people with average needs. Husbands looking for their wives. Grown, tough men decending into paranoid terror. Veterans suffering from PTSD going crazy. How you react to all this, what you make your priorities in every situation determines the outcome of this story. Who survives and who dies, whether or not you escape and how your story plays out after.

Runners up: Armored Core For Answer, Fallout 3, Bioshock 2

Favorite Adventure Story

2.jpg

This interesting twist on mystery stories has the murder victim looking for their murderer. As a ghost. The only way you can interact people is as a specter possessing everyday objects. It's not really about how good this game's story is, though. It's about how well it's told. All the characters are unique, memorable and likable, and while there are several plot twists and red herrings, not one is too outlandish to believe and in retrospect, they all seem pretty brilliant. Finding out how your character died was one of the most brilliant moments in game writing I've ever seen. The ending is a bit too happily ever after for my tastes, but I can't say I wasn't hoping for the best for this wonderful cast.

Runners up: Metroid Prime, Mass Effect, Bayonetta, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Half-Life (series)

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 4

Day 14: Favourite story

EdRgc.jpg

Only God knows how much I love this game. Every single part of this masterpiece is amazing. Every character, even the bad guys, like Ultros and Kefka, is well-written and lovable. Every plot-twist doesn't come as predictable. It's my favourite Final Fantasy, for a reason. It's a shame that not a single character of this game was used as a cameo in a Kingdom Hearts game. NOT A SINGLE CHARACTER. CERTAINLY NOT SETZER.

pzOjo.jpg

Yeah, there is nothing more that I can say about this game that hasn't already be told. Just...Wow. Even Mario has some character development in this game. MARIO THE FRIKKIN MUTE PLUMBER. Coming to think of it...I love every single Mario RPG, story-wise, but this one takes the cake.

Edited by Phantom Nald
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day 14 - Best Story

This made me realize I don't really play a lot of story heavy games, and if I played something like that I can't really remember it. laugh.png

So my choice is not award winning novel material... But it's what I have...

starcraft.jpg

Starcraft

I mentioned this before, but the story in Starcraft is quite interesting, divided in 3 chapters in the first game and other 3 for the expansion (and who knows how many there will be with the sequel... But I guess they are just 3), this game puts you behind the 3 (I say 3 a lot... Conspiracy...) main races, and each of this races has it's own different flavor and characters one could feel related to (I guess some people can relate to a Zerg Cerebrate).

Just to name a few the Terrans has overall nice guy Jim Raynor, Charismatic leader Arcturus Mengsk, 4 stars badass and 5 stars jerkass Edmund Duke. The Protoss have hero fallen from grace Tassadar, Blood Knight but otherwise pretty cool guy Fenix and Badass angster Zeratul. And the Zerg have... Whatever controls them I guess. :V (despite what I am saying they managed to put characters in this side of the story too! IE: Everyone loves the overmind!... Well... I guess that's understandable, being the Overmind and whatnot...)

Poor Marine =(

Another thing I can appreciate from this game is the atmosphere, there is quite dark and depressing setting here and some cutscenes do a really good job at showing you how much of a crapsack sector you are in (despite technological limitations), equally dark humor is abundant too!

biggrin.png

Lester & Sarge, OTP <3

As for the story itself, I could make a wall of text describing the whole thing but I don't have the time nor the will to do such a thing, instead, I'll just leave you with the first (of at least 9) chapter(s):

This part of the story puts you in the head of a Terran Magistrate, you and ordinary marshal Jim Raynor are in charge of the defense of Mar Sara, after making contact with an hostile alien species known as the Zerg (who began infesting the whole planet) you get arrested by the Terran Confederacy (the guys in charge of this side of the Terran sector) for property damage after destroying an infested station.

After that you make contact with Arcturus Mengsk, leader of a rebel faction known as the Sons of Korhal, who offers you liberty in exchange of your services for the cause, seeing as the only other option you have is being devoured by the Zerg swarm, you and Raynor take his offer and join forces to escape (with the rest of the colonists).

Later you find out that the reason behind your arrest was because the Confederation was using the Zerg as a weapon to destroy disloyal colonies (I don't remember if it was stated that your colony was one of those) with the help of some devices called psi-emitters.

You also find that whatever colony got overrun by the Zerg was also soon "incinerated" by another race called the Protoss (I forgot the mention that before tongue.png )

Later you go to Antiga Prime and met Sarah Kerrigan, a telepath and former confederate ghost (a specialist unit in the game), help her defeat some Confederate forces, then you receive a transmission from the very same man who pretty much sentenced you to death, asking for help before the Zerg destroy whats left of his forces (funny how life works)... Mengsk see some opportunities here and sends you to rescue him in exchange of his services (much to Raynor's disgust).

After that you decide to make a leave of the planet before the rest of the Confederacy catches you, but you don't go without a bang! Mengsk orders to set some psi-emmiters in the center of the Confederate base, upon succeeding in this mission the Zerg pretty much killed every single Terran left... And the Protoss came behind and lighted his very own pretty fireworks after that... Um... You can start telling here that this is not your typical "rebel against evil empire" script... Or at least you start doubting about how much of a good guy Mengsk is...

After that the Sons of Korhal start an attack at the Confederate capital of Tarsonis, Mengsk doesn't seem to be too confident with the forces he gathered so he decides to use the Zerg again to deal a fatal blow against the Confederates, Raynor protests because unlike Antiga, there are also innocent people living down there! Mengsk ignores him and proceeds with the operation, in the meantime he also orders Kerrigan to stop any possible attack from the Protoss to let the Zerg "finish the job"...

And she succeeds... But the Zerg start attacking her position too! She starts calling for any sort of help but Mengsk also ignores this and orders to leave the planet... ... Um... Maybe helping this guy wasn't a good idea after all...

With Tarsonis destroyed the Confederation fell to pieces... Arcturus Mengsk rises himself as the emperor of the new Terran Dominion, both you and Raynor decide to escape this mess you got yourselves into, betrayed and with the blood of millions of innocents in your hands...

So yeah, the chapter doesn't really end in an upbeat note. >_>

Wasn't that a nice story? I hope you enjoyed it because things get worse and worse for the whole sector as the story progress! YAY! biggrin.png

And the game is not the only thing that makes this story so interesting, there are a lot of information in the manuals that is not really stated in-game, many little maps and sort of official campaigns that add even more things and of course we couldn't forget the novels that expand the universe and characters even more!

Heaven%27s_Devils_SC2_Art3.jpg

The old gang.

So yeah, you know... I started this post thinking I wasn't going to spend a lot of time speaking about Starcraft, but I guess I underestimated this game... Maybe what happens in the "K sector" is worth being in this list with all the other (I believe) more impressive titles some of you will post. biggrin.png

Honorable mentions:

- Command & Conquer (series): because of Kane <3

- Dungeon keeper (series): Because of the hilarious (I would dare to say a parody) setting that puts you in, also, you command the forces of evil in an equally evil campaign to destroy all the good from this world. (and the mentor... Ohh the mentor... Such a classy and hilarious diabolical entity. laugh.png )

Edited by gato
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day 14 - WHATS YO FAVORITE STORY IN VIDYA

AWRIGHT GUISE LET'S DO THIS

Favorite Overall Story

Legend_of_Zelda_Skyward_Sword_boxart.png

I had to pick this. This was a story that, despite having a foregone conclusion, has the same level as that of the installments of all the other entries in the franchise (other than Four Swords). All the new characters, how the kingdom of Hyrule was founded by spiritual incest upon incest in much later games, and how the inclusion of a 4th goddess and the original form of someone we LOVE to hate and all the new theories that this game created caused this game to turn into Nintendo's very own Final Fantasy IX.

Day 14 - Your Favorite Story in a Video Game

63219624.png

The Phoenix Wright Trilogy - Nintendo DS - 2005-2007

I couldn't just pick one of them. Every case (Except fucking 2-3) in every game has an impact towards a later case and/or in another game. This chain-reaction of events and how it surprisingly manages to intertwine with each other despite how unbelievable it seems at first glance is another reason why I love this series. And just this morning, this was announced:

0016ak.jpg

So you already know that I'm stoked.

Or, you know, it might turn out to be another Apollo Justice game...

WHICH I ALSO ENJOYED, HATERS GONNA HATE

Runner-Ups: Mother 3 and E-102γ's story (Sonic Adventure)

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 14 Mother 3

header_397_mother_3.jpg

(Spoiler Alert!)

The tragic story of Flint and Hinawa, the emotional scars left on Lucas, the mystery of the Masked man, and the hope and despair of the end of the world, Mother 3 is just one of those games that has it all in story.

I obviously won't go into detail as to avid spoilers, but Mother 3 is the first gam to ever make me feel emotional while playing it. The story spans from Flint the cowboy, searching for his wife and son, both found to be dead, to a disabled man named Duster, his father Wess, and a phsyic girl named Kumatora. After many fights, they actually lose to the enemy, who takes over the world. 3 Years later, the story then skips over to a shy scared boy named Lucas, Flint's other son who must find the 8 magical needles and save the world from evil.

From there, the story really begins, and this is in the 4th chapter, as Lucas, Duster, Kumatora, and Boney all traverse throughout the world, meeting news foes and friends, all before meeting the twisted mastermind behind this whole scheme (Who everybody should've seen coming if they played Earthbound), his cruel imprisonment, and the final epic battle between Lucas and the Masked Man, with the help of someone special. After the dark ending, the story ends.....that's it, it leans towards the good side winning, but you don't really know if the world was saved, or destroyed.

Just like the game's slogan "Strange, Funny and Heartrending", Mother 3 sheds the more lighthearted and quirky plot lines of the other two Mother games, in favor of a far darker and more emotional story. This is why Mother 3 is my favorite video game story, it's dark emotional yet quirky humorous and bizzare story makes it so enjoyable for everyone.

Day 14

Knights in the Nights in the nightmare

Perhaps I should think more, I have mentioning the game a lot lately.

Anyways, spoilers.

You know nothing the events that lead to the present are slowly revealed through flashbacks.

You find out what happens to many characters and their death, yes all your units dead, you are dead, though you have no idea at first you where even human at some point.

You could say you you are in a quest to save the kingdom, but everyone is dead and the kingdom has been ravaged by demons.

A bittersweetscenario I suppose.

Also this was me.

Day 13

Knights in the Nightmare.

I think one of the reasons, at least in later stages it is that I never sacrificed any unit to make the others last longer. There is also the limited weapons and their allow number of times they can be used. Or bad luck at getting the right enemies, thus getting new ones every once in a while and letting hurt ones healed. The time limit and the the the chaos/Law system.

Plus I never get that good at avoiding all those energy attacks, really became an issue in boss fights.

Runner up.

Super Robot Taisen OG 2

Here it came down to the bosses Many having over 1000,000 HP took little damage and could destroy weaker units in one hit, then appear the ones that regenerate health many healing most of the damage you did at the end of the turn.

Favorite Story:

Well in an effort to do something different from what has already been posted I'll choose some of my other favorite stories.

Solatorobo should have been an anime, considering that the story is fantastic in so many ways (it has to be since the gameplay is rather mediocre). The game is divided into two sections, each with their own plots that are closely related to each other, sort of like seasons of a TV show. Solatorobo may be a little dialog heavy at certain points (many, many points), but it crams so many memorable moments into each chapter that I don't regret the repetitive battle sequences and overall lack of customization. Really I can't explain the whole plot in such a short space, but you won't regret picking this title up.

alicemadness.jpg

American Mcgee's Alice: Madness Returns may have repetitive gameplay and rather shaky platforming mechanics (such a trend in my choices X3) but it makes up for this with an amazing art direction and narrative. In the first game there wasn't much of a story with Alice outside of Wonderland, yet in this installment we see how the choices in her troubled mental state affect the world around her. You also see Alice grow as a person and by the end of it you're left wanting more. This game may be flawed, but it has its moments.

Plus who doesn't love this version of The Cheshire Cat?

The-Legend-of-Zelda-Majoras-Mask.png

I had a very long passage to why this game's story is so great but it all got erased and im pissed as hell, so here are some bullet points.

• Characters that each have their own story tell, stories that make you care for them and actually want to save them for certain death.
  • Link isnt a character chosen by destiny, hes just a boy with a noble heart saving a foreign land in peril.
  • Deals with very mature and deep themes such as death, loss, the afterlife, and meaningful relationships.
  • Almost all of this you can discover at your own leisure and can be completely bypassed.

• Thumbs Up 2

Favorite story? That's a hard one, so I'm probably just going to grab some random thing I remember liking a lot.

The Story of Persona 4

I love me a good mystery, and though Persona 4 might not have as much drama as 3, I prefer it. I can't really say much about it, man. It's just the perfect story for me. People getting murdered by someone, you and a bunch of your goofy friends try to figure out who did it, discover a supernatural force behind the killings...and it keeps you guessing on who actually did it for some time. Finding the culprit seems like it came out of eliminating suspects, but, when you look back at things you'll suddenly realize it was there all along. All the characters are quite good too, and the things they struggle with are quite human, especially Kanji who is confused about what type of guy he is due to liking things that many would considering "girlish".

Edited by Crow T. Robot

DAY 14: Favorite Story in a video game.

270px-P4characters.jpg

Without a doubt, Persona 4. Its not so much its story, but the character involved, I don't think I've cared so much about video game characters in a long time, each one of them has their own personal issues and hidden depths and the whole story itself deals with facing your inner demons, and by the end you will be heartbroken, you actually felt like you made some worthwhile friends in this game, and I'm never going to forget it.

I'm going to have to add Threads of Fate again for this one.

As I stated previously, there are two separate stories that intertwine. If you play the story of Mint, former princess of East Heaven Kingdom, you get a rather humourous take on the game's plot but you don't actually get the whole story. You're just scratching the surface. However if you go and play the story of Rue, the white-haired boy who is on a quest to revive his friend Claire, you get a much more serious take on the plot and have a lot more fed to you in terms of story and how the characters fit in to it all (as Rue does in fact have a much greater role in the story than Mint). While both character are after the [relic], it's how each character approaches the story and interacts with the characters around them that at the best part of the game. It has a much deeper story than you would think at first glance, which is the primary reason why this game has continued to appeal to me all this time.

• Thumbs Up 1

mass-effect-2_wide.jpg

Being a PS3 owner I was not able to partake in sheapards first adventure but luckily I was soon to experience one game in the Mass Effect trilogy with a PS3 port of ME2. I was really driven by the story because all of the vast amount of characters you meet throughout the game. Each one including yourself has a story to tell, which I made me more connected with the characters as I played through missions with them. As the story progress you grow along with your shipmates to take down the reapers. I grew so attached to so some of the characters I was angry that they didn't make it through my play-through. ME2 is the only game thus far that really captivated me into its story.

Edited by Filno CapBusta

Day 14 - Your Favorite Story in a Video Game.

Because I'm trying to select different games each day.... I'm not sure what to pick, also I'm not sure what my favourite story is since I tend to judge stuff like that differently. like right now I'm thinking Ico, yet most of the reasons for that are due to the things I've come up with to fill in the blanks as apposed to what the game presents. And I've already mentioned Catherine so... .. ....

Meh sod it.

ICO

256px-Box-l-jp.jpg

I've only just finished playing ICO and it's story was definately one of the best. It's so simple in it's presentation yet as the game goes on you suddenly realise whats going on and who everyone really is.

The plot is amazingly simple, Ico has horns growing out of his head, which according to his villlage is a bad omen, so they take him to a castle on an island and seal him in a sacrificial chamber, but during an earthquake Ico is able to escape, he soon finds a young girl named Yorda who speaks a strange language, shortly after a shadow monster appears and tries to drag Yorda into a black portal/hole. Ico rescues her and they try to escape the castle.

However the queen won't let them (who is also dark and scary) and says that Yorda cannot leave it.

Ico however doesn't listen and tries to escape the castle with Yorda, after fighting more monsters and solving puzzles the two make for the exit... however the Queen appears again and captures Yorda forcing Ico to fall to his doom. Ico survives and attempts to rescue Yorda, finding her turned to stone by the queen. He then has to fight a mass of shadow monsters.

It's now the game pulls a big twist on you... the monsters you fight, are the souls of the children who have been sacrificed by your village over the years.

You comfront the queen and she tells you that Yorda is going to be her new body, she will continue her life in her, Ico fights and kills the queen but is knocked out afterwards, Yorda's spirit then carries Ico to a boat and sends him out of the castle to safety, When Ico awakes on a beach he runs along it and finds Yorda in her human form, she wakes up and they share a watermellon (secret ending ho ho!).

Ico_Yorda2.jpg

The games plot is so simple yet you always have a feeling that something much larger is going on, Yorda is important in some way to whats happening in the castle but it's never revealed until the very end.

A really simple story... but one thats told very very well.

Honorable Mentions

Demons Souls: I'm not going to go into detail, but if you were to look up the characters Garl Vinland & Maiden Astraea.

In a wonderful world, where things are wonderful and things can happen with a clap of your hand, these two would have their own game by now, or even a movie. These two characters are boss NPC's, yet their story is so deep and touches almost every aspect of demons souls (even though the game is not about them) that you could make a game about them just as deep and just as compelling as the game that they're in is.

Catherine: I cannot think of another game that deals with adult subject matter like relationships or cheating in a... semi-serious tone like Catherine does, nor can I think of one that actually has a good story to go along with it. The plot is a really cool mystery, even when you find out who the "bad guy" is it's a big... WHOA! Didn't see that coming!

Tetris:

NES_Tetris_Box_Front.jpg

Yes Tetris... yes I know theres no plot... but... well... if you put it in this context....

Tetris can be seen as a representation of many many things, one such thing could be seen as the endless demands of modern man and his struggle against 'the man'

For the sake of trying not to sound like someone who goes ZOMIGOD down with the government *stirn eye'd* we'll go for 'the boss.' I should also state that this is not based on my life...

You work from 9-5 trying to do a job and at first it's really really easy (stages 1-3), then when you have a system in place you get more and more stuff with little extra reward, your carefully planned stratergy begins to get harder and harder. The blocks fall, the deadlines tighten, you try to think the best way to do it, but due to the limitations (game rules/tools given) you can't break the system, you might say 'can I have a co-op partner' but NO theres no resources. So you're on your own! WTF WHERE DID ALL THIS WORK/BLOCKS COME FROM!

Frantically trying to fill the spaces trying to clear the backlog, the boss is wanting more and more and more! And you don't know you dare not try to fail or it's game over/you're fired.

AND THEN!

Game over, theres a meeting and before you know it you're trying to explain why you never did call back Mr Smith about his god damn tax code problem...

So you start again, but you know it'll have the same outcome again and again, when you reach level 12 you'll go insane!

Because you see what should happen but it won't change as you are the man who arranges the blocks who makes the machine go round and round. No matter what you keep arranging the blocks you keep doing your job for a pitiful reward.

tetris_gb_game_over-11183.jpg

Game Over.

• Thumbs Up 7