Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

Hey guys, I need some help here. I want to try the Full Metal Alchemist manga because I heard it was better than the anime (I love the anime though), but when I went to Waldenbooks yesterday, they didn't have the first issue, and each issue was $20 each, so I decided to buy something else, I went with the MGS novel. My mom might not be too happy if she saw me paying $20 per issue, so does anyone know if there's a website where I can read the manga? Please reply.

Catching up on this thread:

FLCL is awesome, no question.

Digimon is by far my biggest guilty pleasure as far as anime is concerned. Still love the first season. Although Savers just doesn't cut it for me.

Haruhi is the best. Love it to no ends.

I'm liking FMA : Brotherhood so far, but I'm hoping it sticks close to the manga as much as possible.

I liked Lucky Star. Liked, not loved. I really tried to love it. It has a quite a few LOL moments and cutesy moments that make me smile, but in the end, it felt only a little above average to me. But it definitely had great art and animation.

I still say if it wasn't for it's opening (dance) sequence and it's connections to Haruhi, the show wouldn't have been anywhere near as popular as it is.

And on my side of things, I'm trying to get into watching the 2nd and 3rd seasons of Familiar of Zero, but I'm having trouble finding versions that run well on my PC (no video/audio playback issues). My PC sucks sometimes. :(

Edited by Snatcher2047

^ I knew of Lucky Star and watched that before Haruhi, when I first watched it I didn't know of the connections to Haruhi. So...yeah lol X3

I'm liking FMA : Brotherhood so far, but I'm hoping it sticks close to the manga as much as possible.

While I intensely disagree that the manga was actually better than the original anime and will debate it 'till I'm blue in the face, it does seem like kind of a waste to do another anime that promised to be faithful and then make it branch off anyways.

I still say if it wasn't for it's opening (dance) sequence and it's connections to Haruhi, the show wouldn't have been anywhere near as popular as it is.

Connections to Haruhi?

Edited by Tornado

^ same voice actress for Konata and Haruhi, Haruhi appears in an advert, Konata has a figure of Mikuru, same animation studio, Konata does the Haruhi dance when she's at work, Konata cosplays as Haruhi, they sing the song/use them quite often in episodes, the director who sings at the end of qutie a few episodes sings Haruhi songs etc

Edited by Mollfie

'Tis only my first reply because I just finished my first REAL anime.

Pokemon:

This was my first taste of Japanese animation, and it was epic win. I watch the new versions, but they just don't seem to have as much substance. As far as the difference between original and dubbed versions go, it was small at first, but it increased slowly with time. I think now, it's not as bad as Sonic X's is, but then, the original Sonic X was better than the original Battle Dimension episodes in the first place. Overall, a very well-made series. Especially the movies, where the dubbing isn't as severe.

Sonic X:

I kind of got caught up in this, and I watched episodes in the mornings with On Demand, all the way through, except for a couple episodes that I knew would be fail. It's still a great dubbed version, but the lack of a movie of any kind, especially considering the number of episodes, hurts it. Overall, a decent dub version, but not as good as the Jap version.

Megaman NT Warrior:

I have seen up to book 11 for the manga, and a fair portion of the dubbed episodes. The magna was incredible, the anime was... well, for most of the episodes, dull. :B Now, the Japanese episodes were excellent, and that's because the original, unedited versions always are. It had a movie made for it, and I saw it with captions, because it was never dubbed. And it was magnificent. But I feel the reason the anime died anywhere with Canada's dubbing or higher is because the gap in win between the Japanese version of the show and the Not-anywhere-near-Japan-ese versions is several magnitudes larger than Sonic X's. Especially due to the fact that the original was ohh-so-slightly better than Sonic X's original, and the dubbed is worse. It's a great series, but Kids WB hit it where it hurts as far as dubbing goes, and taken it to a level of fail not even 4Kids TV is capable of.

Sentō Yōsei Yukikaze:

What can I say? My first REAL anime series, at only 5 episodes, is still pure and epic win of half-holy proportions. It has incredible graphic quality, believable charachters (hard to do for an anime, let alone a sci-fi one), a furiously-fast-paced plot that sucks you into itself so you can't escape until you're done... It's just so incredible for something based on a book. And the win gap between the original and the dubbed version is at the opposite end of the spectrum from NT Warrior's: Tiny to non-existant. I think the only difference is the language. Overall, an incredible series, worthy of a movie (although it doesn't need it, but, then, it didn't need it's own video game either). I can't wait to find (and read/buy) the book!

^ well now you've finished watching your first proper anime, you'd better get back out there and watch some more!!

If you like Sci-fi maybe try Ghost in the Shell?

Ahh the Megaman anime, I was psyched when it was first announced, sorta miffed when it was battle network I was hoping for an the original megaman after reading manga about him, but I sorta got sucked into it when it was shown on jetix here in the uk XD I wish I continued watching it, but I never caught it oddly and I can't be arsed to catch up now.

Now an odd question, did anyone use to watch anime on the German channel RTL, jsut wondering cos I want to try and see what animes I used to watch on there, despite my lack of understanding German my first experiences watching anime outside of pokemon was on the german channels on my satellite box. I would watch the likes of dragonball, pokemon, One Piece, detective Conan and other shows I don't know (thus why I'm asking people) in complete German....although what was odd though I later found out my Dad lived in Germany for a while, did not think I'd had so much German aspects in mah history =P

Anyway the first German One Piece Opening is absolutely brilliant and I think topples both the Japanese and English openings >>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFQojabuzUs...PL&index=10

As nice as it is (I have the full version of the song somewhere), that German theme doesn't really fit the show, though. Besides, nothing can beat "We Are!", not even the other Japanese openings/endings. It's my all-time favorite.

If you want some kickass theme songs, check out the Italian openings by Cristina D'Avena and some guy I don't care about. Now these definitely scream One Piece.

The Italian theme sounds really weird too me, but it does have a sorta ALL TOGETHER NOW feel that makes me think of the strawhat we are XD

As for the german theme I think its cos I'm really attached to it XD took me years to finally find out what thte real story of one piece was instead of what I thought was going on =P

lol I had no idea what you were on about for a moment there Jakey. Why is there other language versions of the opening? Most animes stick to having the opening/ending in Japanese normally...atleast in my experience but then I never seek out other language versions because I have no need to lol

I used to love watching digimon, but around time when tamers came out I kinda grew out of it. During the fall though, I decided to re-watch seasons one and two for nostalgic reasons. It was nice to see all the old episodes, and some of the episodes I missed as a kid.

My favorite character was Izzy and his digital monster Etamon. I was into computers and insects back in the day (still today), so they were a perfect match. I was really disapointed that Etamon never got a mega form when I was younger. XD

You mean Tentomon, right? D=

If I have time though, I'll see if I can finish season 3. I don't plan watching season 4 or 5 though.

Series four is shite, but Digimon Savers is LOVE. Masaru~ He's the best character ever. EVER. >=3 Also Gaomon.

Edited by Mahzes

That series is hilarious. I especially like the episode where she

blackmails the Computer Research Society into giving her a brand-new PC

I also saw the third episode of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood today. It was really good.

I love that episode! Haruhi is such a sly minx :lol:

^ same voice actress for Konata and Haruhi

I thought it was also funny how they did this with the dub of MoHS and Lucky Star, I just wished they'd dubbed the ending songs, the transition from English to Japanese sounded strange.

^ could your order it online from Amazon?

I don't read manga online so I don't know any sites n__n

AXB gave me a link to a site in a PM, so I thanked him for it.

Sonic X:

I kind of got caught up in this, and I watched episodes in the mornings with On Demand, all the way through, except for a couple episodes that I knew would be fail. It's still a great dubbed version, but the lack of a movie of any kind, especially considering the number of episodes, hurts it. Overall, a decent dub version, but not as good as the Jap version.

A decent dub? How is it decent? The dub was terrible because of all the unnecessary censoring of things, and they ruined Cosmo's death!

The quality of the dub is really overexaggerated. Sonic X had one of 4Kids's most faithful dubs, as it maintained the same episode order/count as well as the same overarching storylines. The first series removed nothing of importance other than the music. I mean, I hate censorship too, but come on. 4Kids's treatment of One Piece is far, far worse, ranking up there as one of the most abysmal English dubs in recent history.

Original version of Sonic X is still shit, though.

Yeah I didn't think the Sonic X dub was that bad. At least not the actual voice cast, like most people whine about. In all honesty I preferred the dub of Sonic's return in season 1 than the original. I didn't like the ambiguous muted reply Sonic gave Amy. Although I would have prefered Natsu No Hi to have been kept.

Edited by CreamyBagel

A decent dub? How is it decent? The dub was terrible because of all the unnecessary censoring of things, and they ruined Cosmo's death!

Censorship did come into play in the second season, but the first season was largely dub-faithful and was still pretty awful. The Sonic X situation is similar to that of Yu-Gi-Oh: The localization was bad in spots, but the source material largely wasn't particularly good in the first place. Now, One Piece, that's a different situation.

Most animes stick to having the opening/ending in Japanese normally...atleast in my experienc

A lot of animes (and video games with heavy anime influence, like those Working Designs brought over) in the 90s were localized completely, particularly those done by Pioneer. They stopped doing it around the turn of the century or so, either due to costs reasons or the never-ending "They changed it now it sucks" mantra that is so common in localizations. Now they either leave everything in Japanese or they do things the DBZ way.

A lot of animes (and video games with heavy anime influence, like those Working Designs brought over) in the 90s were localized completely, particularly those done by Pioneer. They stopped doing it around the turn of the century or so, either due to costs reasons or the never-ending "They changed it now it sucks" mantra that is so common in localizations. Now they either leave everything in Japanese or they do things the DBZ way.

Oh I know they did it back in the day, and some still are but most I know of don't. I find the Japanese fits better with the tune usually. But I also find that when they re-do disney songs into other languages some fit really well and others sound a little weird lol

I just rewatched all of Trigun with my little sister in about 5 days. I can't get enough of this show, it's fucking AMAZING. I've watched through the series like 3 times.

Wolfwood dieing

in the episode 'Sin' is probably the saddest thing in the world, I cry every single time ;_;. I even get a little foggy just thinking about it haha.

Oh, and I also started watching Cowboy Bebop, and I'm already hooked (just watched the 3rd episode). Awesome stuff :D

I gotta quick question though, where in the series timeline does the movie take place? Right after? Just wondering.

Edited by Blash

I gotta quick question though, where in the series timeline does the movie take place? Right after? Just wondering.
Mid way.

Closer to the end half then the beginning half though.

As nice as it is (I have the full version of the song somewhere), that German theme doesn't really fit the show, though. Besides, nothing can beat "We Are!", not even the other Japanese openings/endings. It's my all-time favorite.

If you want some kickass theme songs, check out the Italian openings by Cristina D'Avena and some guy I don't care about. Now these definitely scream One Piece.

I have to agree with this. We Are! is the theme of the series as a whole, so it's pretty tough to beat. I'm very pleased with Funimation's dub of it as well.

I am a VERY late adopter and have only just started watching Sonic X (Japanese version refuse to touch anything 4Kids have censored... oh I mean "dubbed"). I am not understand why every girns so much about it. I think it is OKAY for what it is. It is not meant to be like the old cartoons and is based in a sort of Sonic Adventure world so they do need some human characters for Sonic to relate with... of course Chris is a piss poor choice but none the less it has happened.

Anyway as of recent I have watched "Scrapped Princess" I don't think I have saw any other mentions of this. Quite a short running anime and a very unusual type of story. I won't spoil it or anything but if you like ones about future turned past and dragons etc I think you should give it a go. I am going to watch the final episode tonight so that will be quite satisfying to know I have finished it.

I have another 60GB worth of anime sitting waiting for me, but I like to finish each anime one at a time as it passes.

I am a VERY late adopter and have only just started watching Sonic X (Japanese version refuse to touch anything 4Kids have censored... oh I mean "dubbed"). I am not understand why every girns so much about it. I think it is OKAY for what it is. It is not meant to be like the old cartoons and is based in a sort of Sonic Adventure world so they do need some human characters for Sonic to relate with... of course Chris is a piss poor choice but none the less it has happened.

The first five episodes are an example of how the series should have been more like.

It all goes downhill from there - and gets even worse.