Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

That wasn't what I meant, sorry if it seemed like it was. I know it's well remembered, very much so! :v

I'm saying that despite focusing on plot and character arcs of sorts, Digimon's original series still managed to be hugely successful as well as be a good show, and people remember it very well. The later ones fell to obscurity, but the series didn't quite have much else to keep it relevant, unlike Pokemon which has... well... everything to keep it relevant.

Kids aren't as dumb as some execs think they are. They enjoy a good story as much as anyone else. Dragon Ball was successful too, ya know! And that grabbed as many children as it did youth and young adults.

Though I think they saw it as looking for the easiest route to success and thinking that making a new story would only make it harder on them to keep it relevant, but I would've taken a few great series with one or two somewhat-flops over one long running one that gave up on substance too early in. 

Edited by Azoo

They keep Ash because Ash is safe. Making a new protagonist is a risk because they wouldn't have nostalgia to fall back on if the character failed. Parents of the current generation of kids likely see Ash and have fond feelings or at least some recognition.

But tbh, while I don't hate Ash, I don't understand why they're so insistent on keeping him in the spotlight. What about new protagonists isn't marketable if done right? They don't have to get rid of Ash, but I think they should retire him from the spotlight and try something fresh. It worked well with the Legend of Thunder.

Well... Red was okay in Origins. Jimmy was awful, I could not stand him. Don't remember any other temporary heroes. Hm... I think Ash's design is part of why he's my favorite.

They keep Ash because Ash is safe. Making a new protagonist is a risk because they wouldn't have nostalgia to fall back on if the character failed. Parents of the current generation of kids likely see Ash and have fond feelings or at least some recognition.

But tbh, while I don't hate Ash, I don't understand why they're so insistent on keeping him in the spotlight. What about new protagonists isn't marketable if done right? They don't have to get rid of Ash, but I think they should retire him from the spotlight and try something fresh. It worked well with the Legend of Thunder.

Honestly what nostalgia is there to fall on. The writers hardly acknowledge Ash's past and when they do I can bet you that the new kids are confused to see that Ash has all these pokemon they haven't seen him develop with,  just like us with the 30 Tauros showing up out of nowhere in the english dub. 

Honestly what nostalgia is there to fall on. The writers hardly acknowledge Ash's past and when they do I can bet you that the new kids are confused to see that Ash has all these pokemon they haven't seen him develop with,  just like us with the 30 Tauros showing up out of nowhere in the english dub. 

Its mainly his design that's the nostalgia factor, almost everyone knows who Ash is.

But yea, the writers don't want to risk changing things and alienating their core audience, which is why Ash & Pikachu will be the ones in the spotlight, for better or worse.

• 2 weeks later...

What you talkin about son, despite its problems, I don't think there's anyone among our generation that doesn't know about the original series, there are arguments to this day wanting Brock and Misty to return. There's no doubt that the original Anime series  is something almost everyone remembers.

Really? Who is asking for Misty or Brock to return besides people who stopped watching the anime a decade ago during their childhood? Everyone else moved on from them years ago, especially since Misty's been gone for what...almost 13 years now? Brock was also incredibly stale in the anime for years particularly in DP, hence nobody asking for him back like when he was replaced by Tracey, since Cilan and especially Clemont/Bonnie are better received.

If anything the only thing that keeps the show fresh is the new travel companions, and it was the writers mistake of bringing Misty and Brock back for multiple gens that dragged the anime down for years.

• 3 weeks later...

So in the last episode before XY&Z, Ash and Serena are given ORAS Pokedexes. For some reason.

Gotta shill that new stuff somehow. Even if it makes no damn sense whatsoever.

*HACK COUGH SPLUTTER HECK HACK HUCK ECH I HATE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH BLECH HACK*

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/4745346/mewtwo-awakening-gif-o.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

What about that doesn't make sense?? The Pokedex thing, I mean. It doesn't really contradict anything, unless it's been established elsewhere that that particular design exists only in Hoenn or something. :V

When I say "it doesn't make sense" in regards to the Pokédex, I mean that it seems like an arbitrary thing from how Panda described it. As in, there was nothing wrong with the Pokédexes before, yet all of a sudden they go "Here, have some new ones," for some odd reason.

But I admit I haven't seen this new series, so I might be wrong about something.

When I say "it doesn't make sense" in regards to the Pokédex, I mean that it seems like an arbitrary thing from how Panda described it. As in, there was nothing wrong with the Pokédexes before, yet all of a sudden they go "Here, have some new ones," for some odd reason.

But I admit I haven't seen this new series, so I might be wrong about something.

I thought that Ash always got a updated Pokedex each season...

I thought it was because that the ORAS Pokedex had info on the Mega Pokemon that were introduced in ORAS.

It scans Mega Pokemon in general, which their old dexes couldnt before...so...yeah there's a reason

Edited by Soniman

I'm actually shocked we are seeing all of the Team Flare Admins as well as Malva, That's two Elite 4 members down, (one more than last region), hopefully we'll see the other two before the league or after, depending on what they'll do.

It scans Mega Pokemon in general, which their old dexes couldnt before...so...yeah there's a reason

Well, that's kinda what I meant.

You guys seen the epic new opening to the Z season of the XY anime yet?

This has me hyped, too bad the season itself won't likely live up to that hype though<_<

Edited by CD Sanic

Now Now, let's not diss on this season yet.

They've been generally handling XY series as a whole hell of a lot better than BW, let's not jinx it now. On the plus side I'm glad that Pikachu has been getting a lot less focused lately and both Frogadier and Talonflame have been cleaning house a lot.

• Thumbs Up 5

So is Greninja gonna become stronger or get new powers when he gets the Ash upgrade, or is it purely aesthetic? And when is Chespin gonna evolve, already?!

There seems to be some tension between Ash and Greninja. Looked almost like Ash was upset that Gren couldn't Mega Evolve, or he was lagging behind Alain and... That creepy kid. Shouta?

Either way seems cool. I seriously need to catch up though.

There seems to be some tension between Ash and Greninja. Looked almost like Ash was upset that Gren couldn't Mega Evolve, or he was lagging behind Alain and... That creepy kid. Shouta?

Either way seems cool. I seriously need to catch up though.

If that's the case, that's an extremely stupid reason.

Ash shouldn't get mad at Greninja for not doing something his species isn't capable of doing.

• Thumbs Up 5

If that's the case, that's an extremely stupid reason.

Ash shouldn't get mad at Greninja for not doing something his species isn't capable of doing.

I don't think Ash is upset at Greninja for not being able to Mega Evolve. I think what might happen is that Ash lost to the trainers with the Sceptile and Charizard. Thus, Greninja temporarily leaves the team to find a way to get stronger.

Of course Ash won't know this for a while and that's why he sheds a tear in the opening because he thinks Greninja has done what he did to his previous trainers and leaves him for good.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm just throwing ideas around. XP But yeah you're right, that wouldn't make sense.

It looks pretty dramatic, whatever it is, but Johnny has a good theory.

So, I'm gonna start joining in on the Pokemon anime bandwagon seeing as how the anime is going into what I assume is Pokemon Z's main plot. And I really want to learn a lot about Zygarde and possible things that will be involved in Z as we aren't getting it this year.

If anyone wants it by the way, I don't like how the subbers use the Japanese names, so I'm editing the subs before I watch it. Just say the word and I'll upload the .ass file I used after watching it for any mistakes. I'll make some other edits that I feel make more sense. I get rid of Japanese honorifics, but that's just me. I also changed Lysandre, Xerosic, and one instance of Celosia calling "Z" into "Zygarde" as well as Xerosic calling Z-1 a Zygarde Core when he firsts mentions it as I feel like they would know about it and call it that, even if the Japanese script does make them only call it "Z".

• Thumbs Up 1