Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Yeah, Orange Islands ain't worth squat and is often forgotten in the first place.

His victory of the Battle Frontier is more notable than that.

I'd probably drop the show if they got rid of Ash. I didn't like Jimmy and Alain's kinda meh.

Besides, unless the new protag would be someone who almost never loses, people would probably hate on him or her just as much as Ash. I don't see much of a point unless they have a completely different personality.

3 hours ago, Gambling Idol Luka said:

I'd probably drop the show if they got rid of Ash. I didn't like Jimmy and Alain's kinda meh.

Besides, unless the new protag would be someone who almost never loses, people would probably hate on him or her just as much as Ash. I don't see much of a point unless they have a completely different personality.

If they did drop Ash for someone new, then I would probably be at least interested in the show again.

If they actually give us a new protagonist, then they have to give him a personality that's radically different from Ash but just as likeable and also I would rather see him lose a few battles, but winning many battles as he continues growing as a Trainer to make him a believable one. That's just my thought for that one though.

1 hour ago, Omega Pipe said:

If they did drop Ash for someone new, then I would probably be at least interested in the show again.

If they actually give us a new protagonist, then they have to give him a personality that's radically different from Ash but just as likeable and also I would rather see him lose a few battles, but winning many battles as he continues growing as a Trainer to make him a believable one. That's just my thought for that one though.

I dunno. Red in Pokemon Origins was pretty boring to watch since you pretty much knew he was gonna win every single battle after the first one. They'd have to really strike a good balance for it to be entertaining... Honestly I don't think Ash is losing too much, but it's been a while since I watched it, so IDK.

I mean technically if you wanna be believable you could just have the character completely destroy every trainer since the games are just that easy nowadays :^)

Well, thing about Ash is...he's not much of a character on his own, but rather a stand in for the target audience. So even if he did get replaced, the next main character would more than likely be the same. Series doesn't really run on deep and well written characters.

So at this stage in the game...I don't see much of a point; they could at least let him fucking win a league tho. You're not really sending a good message by having Ash work his ass off to get better and he can never win the big one when it matters.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Just give the new protagonist a Pikachu of their own.

As mentioned, Team Rocket want that very specific Pikachu, as they claim it has unique power (and over the series have gained a respect for him).

I admit it would be kinda off putting with the show suggesting Pikachu is just that interchangeable as a character as well. From what I know cases such as May's Squirtle were unpopular for this reason, lame attempts to replace a more memorable first use of the species.

1 hour ago, E-122-Psi said:

As mentioned, Team Rocket want that very specific Pikachu, as they claim it has unique power (and over the series have gained a respect for him).

I admit it would be kinda off putting with the show suggesting Pikachu is just that interchangeable as a character as well. From what I know cases such as May's Squirtle were unpopular for this reason, lame attempts to replace a more memorable first use of the species.

Even as a kid, I thought, "catch one of your own, you morons - do you only ever know how to get Pokémon in an evil way, like really". I don't think that explanation was ever even brought up after a certain point, so TR might as well be the definition of "sunk cost fallacy" at this point.

Also, if Pikachu didn't have main character status, I would not be surprised if they did just that - I mean, Genesect and the Legend Awakened made a new Mewtwo out of its own arse. They could do that to anyone if they so desire. All sins are equal at this point.

In their first appearance they were unimpressed by Pikachu at first, though after he defeated them in a huge burst of power (albeit through convenient circumstances) they claimed he must behold more power than any other, which is sorta like them trying to whitewash a defeat they suffered by claiming their opponent was 'special'.

It's not really out of character for Team Rocket. A big premise about them is that they could easily make a successful living for themselves if they didn't keep trying to be big time villains with a nasty reputation. They're the standard fanatical villain who redoubles their efforts long after they've forgotten their aim. I mean, after all their failed attempts at stealing Pokemon, they always get their legitimate catches without even trying. Look at how they caught Inkay and Pumpkaboo.

After all the anime's done with Pikachu, it's hard to take away that notion we're supposed to see that particular one as unique. He's the star, just like no other Meowth could replace Team Rocket's. You could have every companion have a different Eevee or Squirtle or whatever, but those two stay no matter what.

• 2 weeks later...

So in todays Japanese episode we learn that the anime incarnation of the Kalos League is going to take place in Lumiose City.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

So in todays Japanese episode we learn that the anime incarnation of the Kalos League is going to take place in Lumiose City.

Back to where it all started, nice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I like that the League is actually taking place in the main City of the region for once, I always thought that leagues should take place in a large metropolis like Castelia/Nimbasa, Saffron or Lilycove City rather than some small country side town like most of them in the anime have been.

• Thumbs Up 2

I want Ash to leave after XY. This is Ash at his best again, next saga you know they're going to screw him over like the DP-BW transition again. Now that the cast has changed so much there's no reason to stick to one particular character anymore. Most older fans don't watch the show anymore outside of hardcore anime fans and young kids have no idea Ash has 20 years worth of history.

The fact that its been nearly 14 years since Misty was written off in 2002 and people once thought the original trio and/or Misty were what the show was about proves my point even further. You don't need the same characters around at all to advertise pokemon. 

3 hours ago, precita said:

I want Ash to leave after XY. This is Ash at his best again, next saga you know they're going to screw him over like the DP-BW transition again. Now that the cast has changed so much there's no reason to stick to one particular character anymore. Most older fans don't watch the show anymore outside of hardcore anime fans and young kids have no idea Ash has 20 years worth of history.

The fact that its been nearly 14 years since Misty was written off in 2002 and people once thought the original trio and/or Misty were what the show was about proves my point even further. You don't need the same characters around at all to advertise pokemon. 

No matter the reasons, the writers have stated that Ash and pikachu are the face of the show

From what heard, both Ash and Team Rocket were seriously considered getting written off for Best Wishes, though fans vetoed the idea (in fact fans in Japan supported EVERYTHING about Team Rocket staying, they even demanded their comical Pikachu obsessed personalities come back and voted an official poll for Wobbuffet returning). One could argue this quick revision in plans may have played part in how different they were in said series.

No matter how much some fans think they've been driven into the ground, the original formula still has quite a fan base. One can only hope they at least manage to find some sort of new twist for Ash rather than just returning him to square one.

Nah, that was just about Japan not liking serious TR of Best Wishes, although the voice actors themselves had a hand in that and convinced the writers to change them back into what they were. As long as Ash gets a proper conclusion as in winning the league or going up against the Elite 4, and some final showdown with Giovanni disbanding TR as an organization once and for all, I seriously doubt any Japanese fans won't mind a new cast of characters.

Also keep in mind that as said, most older fans stop watching the show every few years and new kids come in and take their place. Even the kids who grew up watching DP as their first saga probably no longer watch the anime. DP went on for 4 years which is close to the OS 5 year run, and by the time BW began they became teenagers and likely lost interest.

The anime now has over 900+ episodes, I'd wager only 20% of all pokemon anime fans have watched close to all those episodes. I saw every episode of the anime from OS, AG and DP but then started missing episodes.

Turns out the Kalos League is starting alot sooner than we thought, at the end of June to be exact!

Since League arcs tend to last from anywhere between 6 to 8 episodes, I'd estimate the League would be finishing up somewhere in August, which leave room for a bit of post League episodes before Sun/Moon. Considering the Zygarde arc hasn't concluded yet, it's safe to say that's what'll he happening after the League.

Unless Ash makes one more Pokemon catch at some point during the next month that they've managed extra well to keep a secret, then Ash won't even have a full team by then. Do you think Ash will be calling upon some of his oldies?

So, the Zygarde plot might not finish until after the League? Huh, guess that'll be the first time they've done that. As for bringing in some of Ash's older Pokemon, don't they always do that for every new League anyway? (I mean, they definitely did for Adv. and DP, but I don't know about BW since I stopped watching early on in that series.)

1 hour ago, Captain Metallix said:

So, the Zygarde plot might not finish until after the League? Huh, guess that'll be the first time they've done that. As for bringing in some of Ash's older Pokemon, don't they always do that for every new League anyway? (I mean, they definitely did for Adv. and DP, but I don't know about BW since I stopped watching early on in that series.)

In BW he caught so many Pokemon that he actually rotated them between episodes, so he didn't need to.

1 hour ago, Captain Metallix said:

Actually he didn't do it in the advance series. Because he felt that his current team was good enough and did all the hard work.

I hope he brings back his older Pokemon like in Sinnoh. I wanna see Infernape again!

• 2 weeks later...

I see Mega Charizard Y! I wonder who that belongs to. Also do you guys think that Shota/Sawyer will be the one to beat Ash or will that be too predictable? I hope not but you never know with this anime.

11 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

I see Mega Charizard Y! I wonder who that belongs to. Also do you guys think that Shota/Sawyer will be the one to beat Ash or will that be too predictable? I hope not but you never know with this anime.

It's Trevor's.

So that new movie? We got the soundtrack... and they left a bloody spoiler in!

Spoiler

Seems like they're pulling the Disney Death trope yet again. Can't argue with a track titled "Volcanion Dies?", can you?

But yeah, you can pretty much piece together the plot from all this.

On 5/11/2016 at 4:27 PM, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Well, thing about Ash is...he's not much of a character on his own, but rather a stand in for the target audience. So even if he did get replaced, the next main character would more than likely be the same. Series doesn't really run on deep and well written characters.

So at this stage in the game...I don't see much of a point; they could at least let him fucking win a league tho. You're not really sending a good message by having Ash work his ass off to get better and he can never win the big one when it matters.

BW he didn't really work for crap. That was his worse league in my opinion since Kanto. But atleast in Kanto as a new trainer he did fairly well. And might have placed higher if Charizard was obedient. In XYZ, he's busted his ass with Greninja. I haven't seen him work that hard with a pokemon since Infernape. And even then, if he could have used his Primary DP team with Charizard he probably would have at least got top 4.....And if the writers didn't purposely put him against legendaries. But with that said he's beaten Articuno with Charizard, Recently went toe to toe with a Zapdos, And I'm sure he's beaten other Legendaries.

With all of that said, Isn't Greninja his only Fully evolved water pokemon besides Kingler? Or am I missing someone. And i don't know much about the Pokemon xyz games but it seems like he has a pretty good 5 pokemon team. And his greninja is basically one of the stronger Megas shown so far. He did nearly beat Charizard X (not like anyone will acknowledge that, and had an excellent match against the Kalos Champ.