Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

So, I'm gonna start joining in on the Pokemon anime bandwagon seeing as how the anime is going into what I assume is Pokemon Z's main plot. And I really want to learn a lot about Zygarde and possible things that will be involved in Z as we aren't getting it this year.

If anyone wants it by the way, I don't like how the subbers use the Japanese names, so I'm editing the subs before I watch it. Just say the word and I'll upload the .ass file I used after watching it for any mistakes. I'll make some other edits that I feel make more sense. I get rid of Japanese honorifics, but that's just me. I also changed Lysandre, Xerosic, and one instance of Celosia calling "Z" into "Zygarde" as well as Xerosic calling Z-1 a Zygarde Core when he firsts mentions it as I feel like they would know about it and call it that, even if the Japanese script does make them only call it "Z".

WELCOME TO THE CLUB, FRIEND

So are you only going to be watching XY&Z or have you already seen the older stuff?

I'll only be watching XY&Z as I don't feel arsed going through 92 other episodes and editing their subs lol. I'm impressed in the huge quality jump the show has gotten though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, okay. you're missing out on Diamond & Pearl though

I still have to catch up on XY. I'm gonna watch the dub and then once that's over with, I'll do the sub. That's generally how it goes with me.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't tuned into the anime much in ages, but I did check out one episode of XY, the Factory Fiasco episode. Being a Meowth fan, I loved it. I always felt sorry and frustrated for Team Rocket's Meowth in the early series, he was always on the opposite end of the power hierarchy compared to Ash's Pikachu. In this episode however he is downright relentless, not only did the team have a good plan, but Meowth took everything Pikachu thrown at him and was downright obsessed with catching him.

The battle scene at the end was awesome. I knew Meowth would go down quickly, but I didn't expect him to get some actual damage in. Has that EVER happened against Ash's Pikachu before?

I haven't tuned into the anime much in ages, but I did check out one episode of XY, the Factory Fiasco episode. Being a Meowth fan, I loved it. I always felt sorry and frustrated for Team Rocket's Meowth in the early series, he was always on the opposite end of the power hierarchy compared to Ash's Pikachu. In this episode however he is downright relentless, not only did the team have a good plan, but Meowth took everything Pikachu thrown at him and was downright obsessed with catching him.

The battle scene at the end was awesome. I knew Meowth would go down quickly, but I didn't expect him to get some actual damage in. Has that EVER happened against Ash's Pikachu before?

what do you mean by power hierarchy. Cuz Meowth back in the day was very close to popularity as Pikachu was when Pokemon came out.

what do you mean by power hierarchy. Cuz Meowth back in the day was very close to popularity as Pikachu was when Pokemon came out.

No, no, not STAR power, actual in-show power. Pikachu, being the main hero Pokemon, obviously got loads of badass moments, even ones his species' type and level shouldn't really be capable of. Meowth, being the incompetent villain Pokemon, had maybe a handful of battles where he didn't get his ass handed to him instantly without cheating. Anytime the two came to physical blows, it was pretty much 'Pikachu thundershocks, Meowth 'blasts off'. This is the first time I've seen Meowth actually get in a hit, not to mention his complete no-sell when Pikachu charges their van.

Edited by E-122-Psi

Yeah since the Black & White series, Team Rocket has been stepping up their game a lot, at the same time, they don't make them appear in every single episode now, Meowth himself has become more capable by only using his natural skills.

Yeah since the Black & White series, Team Rocket has been stepping up their game a lot, at the same time, they don't make them appear in every single episode now, Meowth himself has become more capable by only using his natural skills.

I've heard they've been going in and out with a competence shift (ie. going from even more useless than before, to serious, threatening villains, and then back). This seemed to be a transitional point, they were bumbling and sympathetic, but had a lot of valour and not-so-harmless wit about it (probably the best compromise).

I didn't know Meowth became more powerful as a battler though. Has he had anymore notable moments?

Edited by E-122-Psi

I can't remember specificlly, but I think in BW he actually managed to take out one of Ash's or someone else's pokemon or something with a Fury Swipes attack.

Also in one of the episodes while traveling with Korrina, Meowth, Pumkaboo and Inkay all wore attack enhancing tech gear that made them all really powerful, I don't know why Team Rocket doesn't make those things again cause it was actually pretty effective.

After countless months of hearing rumors that Pokemon anime was finally getting good again, I just had to see it for mself. Color me satisfied and kinda impressed so far, maybe they're FINALLY gonna  have a region anime end on a competent high note.

uhhh. Looks at Hoenn Kanto battle frontier and sinnoh region ends. You sure bro.

After countless months of hearing rumors that Pokemon anime was finally getting good again, I just had to see it for mself. Color me satisfied and kinda impressed so far, maybe they're FINALLY gonna  have a region anime end on a competent high note.

edit I was qouting you

I meant one ending with Ash finally legitimately showing us, what he's learned and winning in the end. 

I meant one ending with Ash finally legitimately showing us, what he's learned and winning in the end. 

Orange Island League and Kanto BatBattle Frontier

Orange Island League and Kanto BatBattle Frontier

I'm specifically referring to Ash becoming champion of the region. Not that I don't love the Orange Island saga. 

I'm specifically referring to Ash becoming champion of the region. Not that I don't love the Orange Island saga. 

At this point I'm beating dead horse but nothing is stopping the Orange Islands from being a region.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw the Hoopa movie.

It seems they've changed the music for the dub again. Which is a crying shame, because the Japanese soundtrack includes an out of nowhere remix of a particular piece of music from the Kanto era, which I'm sure would've flooded you guys with nostalgia: http://youtu.be/VXPQKyjtY7A?list=PLdLmG_xCrOCqfu_o1GZPjW3yCNkLDdy8m
  • Thumbs Up 1

Aw man. I haven't watched TV in a while so I must've missed the news.

Has it already aired in the US?

Also... I actually didn't recognize the song. I'll have to listen to the original again.

I've only seen parts on CN when it premiered and not in its entirety, but how is the movie overall and compared to the others?

It's enjoyable enough I guess.

The downsides are that the legendary Pokemon battles aren't all that epic, they didn't really do anything with the "Ash being possessed" bit, and Hoopa confined is irritating as fuck.

On the upside, it was still generally cool seeing some of the legendaries, and Ash actually remembers some of them for once.

Also, as far as English dub ending themes go these days, this one was actually rather nice.

Also-also, it's always nice to see Team Rocket actually do more in these movies.

Edited by TheFatPanda
  • Thumbs Up 1

Since it's been said that the Pokemon anime is getting good again, any suggestions on what episode to start out on?

Just start at the beginning of the XY series. There's no point to jump into the middle of a region. Although try to watch the Japanese version if you can, the dub is sub par with lackluster music tracks and poor voices.

The DP saga had a similar problem, and is far better in the Japanese version.