Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

So wait, all of this was sudden? like their wasn't a rumor or anything just 1 week it was on CN next week its on D:XD?

Given how CN's been working these days (i.e. like crap), I'm not surprised one bit they lost Pokémon, regardless of the long history together.  Wouldn't be surprised if Sonic Boom went a similar route should it continue beyond a third season.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wow, and here I was thinking that Cartoon Network would start doing better since Stuart Snyder stepped down. But boy was I wrong.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hopefully the dub can finally will go back to having openings longer than 5 seconds, i'm also curious to know whether or not the older seasons and movies will air on XD as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

I watched the first two episodes of Sun and Moon today:

I absolutely loving the animation! The characters look much more lively and it's a great change of pace from how things were done! The school concept is interesting as well.

Also, the move to Disney XD is quite a surprise. But given how CN has the treating the show, I can't blame them. I'm surprised how fast the dub came out as well. It used to be we'd have the wait awhile before we'd see it.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know when you're worried for the worst to happen and you end up being 100% wrong?

Cause let me tell you, thank GOD I was wrong about how this would turn out. In all honesty, I loved these episodes. Ash is definitely a lot more excitable than before, but not to the point of it being overbearing. In fact, it's kinda cute. At the same time, he's still the pro-battler Kalos Runner-Up that I know and love from XY&Z. That's all I really wanted and cared about and it's what I got. A happy medium. Plus, he has every intention of taking on the trails to earn another Z-Crystal, so I don't have to worry about the school part overtaking the plot that actually matters. While I do prefer an art and animation style that looks good both in motion and when paused between frames like XY&Z, the show does do it's job of looking good while moving and it does it fairly well. Especially for the action and battle scenes. Also, the music is very catchy and on point. Great for the start of a new series. All around, I'm impressed.

Premiere was good. Gave me great vibes for the beginning of this series. Best Wishes 2.0 this is definitely not! At least, not so far. I now have decent sized hopes for this series an have decided to follow it after all. Looking forward to the second 2-parter next week. ¦)

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh hey these were pretty good episodes, ill miss XY's more serious tone but what replaced it is something im in love with. I hope SM can keep it's momentum and not pitter out into complete garbage like BW did since they're both going for similar tones.

And Ash is still a monster in battle so no reset thankfully!

Yep, they didn't dumbed down Ash or Pikachu this time.

The animation is WAY better when in motion, extremely fluid. 

Also Mallow is best girl.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Oh, so now everyone likes the Sun and Moon anime? What a twist.

Ok fine I'll admit you were right. Although it's the show just started so it can go anyway at this point. Oh who am I kidding the show will most likely be fine

But I digress the show is so upbeat and happy I love it. I spot an easter egg that I don't think anybody has noticed because the scene went by too fast.

CxfIR0yUkAE0iXy.jpg

CxfIc0TVIAAjVI0.jpg

CxfIgT8VIAAU-8W.jpg

Ah those Gen 1 sprites how I miss you

• Thumbs Up 7

3 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Oh, so now everyone likes the Sun and Moon anime? What a twist.

Lets see how things are 100 plus episodes from now and we'll know if arc  fatigue has set it 

• Thumbs Up 2

No, y'all were saying it was gonna be garbage from Day 1 just because they changed the animation style. Now we have to see if it lasts for 100 episodes? Fine. I'll play the game, although I'm still on the side of it being consistently entertaining and fun. =P

Spoiler

I honestly cried at the Bewear part, just because of that high-pitched screech it does when it's on the attack. Also, these glorious facial expressions on display. It warms my little heart.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

No, y'all were saying it was gonna be garbage from Day 1 just because they changed the animation style. Now we have to see if it lasts for 100 episodes? Fine. I'll play the game, although I'm still on the side of it being consistently entertaining and fun. =P

Hide contents

I honestly cried at the Bewear part, just because of that high-pitched screech it does when it's on the attack. Also, these glorious facial expressions on display. It warms my little heart.

For the record I never said that, I was just defending past seasons as if everything before SM was bad which they weren't but regardless I was willing to give it a chance and thankfully I wasn't disappointed :P

(still don't care for Ash's design to much though but hopefully I get used to it) 

• Thumbs Up 1

This was fucking great. I like the setting and the expanded cast and the animation is a fucking joy to look at. Even Ash, who's face I wasn't sold on in screen looks waaayyy better in motion. It's also legitimately really funny which I didn't expect. This is the first time I've been on board with this show since Diamond and Pearl

I mean it's not hard to be better than the BW anime especially since they didn't try to make her Black Dragon Misty

• Thumbs Up 2

I love the Unova gym leaders so much. Scratch that, I love Unova, period. Wonder what the other Gen 5 shorts are going to be about...it'd be great if they adapted the infamous ferris wheel scene especially if it means seeing Hilda or Hilbert animated!

On another note, Sun & Moon is off to a really fun start. Honestly, I'm really excited to see the group dynamics with Ash and the other kids, there's a lot of potential there. Since it's likely Ash'll travel to the other islands at some point, I'd honestly love to see the whole group go with him. The second episode does seem kind of like it's setting them up that way, but time will tell I guess.

I'm also interested in how Ash's team is gonna turn out; the previews imply he's gonna catch Rowlet in the next couple episodes, at least, but beyond that I have no idea. 

Oh, and I'm still hoping that Team Rocket catch that Mimikyu...and maybe the Bewear, too. Just 'cause it'd be hilarious.

Pokemon Sun & Moon just finished airing here. I really liked it. The animation is great and Ash is much more lively than before. And, hey, it got me to kind of like Bewear! The scene with it was great. It definitely got me more excited for Sun to release here.

It was kind of weird that there was no real opening, though. Maybe, when the series starts fully airing it'll be there?

The Volcanion movie was good, too. I really liked how Magearna sounded.

Also, German Ash seems to have gotten a new actor. It was kind of weird, since it's the first time I've heard Ash voiced by a guy, but he did well.

The DVD for the latest movie, Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel, is set to release in Australia on December 7th. It is unknown about a Blu-Ray release or whenever it'll be in other countries, but I'm sure details about it will arise soon enough http://www.dvdwarehouse.com.au/pokemon-the-movie-volcanion-and-the-mechanical-marvel-9318500075291.html

p_95026.jpg

I've watch the Sun & Moon preview and I loved it. I was a little iffy about the animation but then I really got to enjoy it.

The voice acting is great, I think they fit the characters well, espeically Beware's voice, it sounds just as great in English as it does in Japanese.

I'm so hyped for the series when it airs proper.:D

The dub wasn't too bad. The dialogue is the same loyal but blander translation as XY, though the actors sound a bit more enthusiastic this time round. (We'll have to wait till Team Rocket appears before we know the true level of corny puns and alliterations though).

What is most significant however is that they kept the original soundtrack. Not only the music and sound effects, but the scenes where there isn't any. Almost none of the dub in the past kept the ambient silence moments, they always put in little home made jingles and notes. I at least hope they keep this level of loyalty for the rest of the series, especially after XY replaced nearly ALL of it's soundtrack with unmemorable noise.

• Thumbs Up 2

I only have one gripe with the SM dub, and I'd like to direct you to the pure embodiment of what it is:

IMG_7735.PNG

I point to Lillie, because she sounds an awful lot like somebody else we know, but I can't quite put my finger-

IMG_7736.PNG

She's Bonnie. It's the same voice actress, and after spending three years of hearing her as such, I caught it right off the bat, because it's way too similar.

TPCi, I really, really wish you'd expand your talent pool a bit.

And it's not even just in this series, we have the same guy playing James, Meowth AND Professor Oak for Christ's sake! And yes, it is obvious. Painfully so.