Awoo.

Stop Online Piracy Act & Protect IP Act

Mega

Now THAT is something fun to wake up to in the morning.

Needs Guile's Theme... (Protect Internet freedom for AMERICA.)

This IS revelant! US is fighting now All of us from European Union must fight too!!! Its worse than SOPA!!! HEAD here: https://www.laquadrature.net//acta

ACTA wasnt even negotated in democratic way. Goverments were just negotating it beetwen theyself! Now EU parlament will vote on it!

Here watch this!:

I you are from European Union act now!

If any mod sees this. Can we add ACTA to the topic name? I think all fighting for internet discussion should be kept here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now THAT is something fun to wake up to in the morning.

Needs Guile's Theme... (Protect Internet freedom for AMERICA.)

Edited by Tailikku
  • Thumbs Up 1

This IS revelant! US is fighting now All of us from European Union must fight too!!! Its worse than SOPA!!! HEAD here: https://www.laquadrature.net//acta

ACTA wasnt even negotated in democratic way. Goverments were just negotating it beetwen theyself! Now EU parlament will vote on it!

Here watch this!:

If any mod sees this. Can we add ACTA to the topic name? I think all fighting for internet discussion should be kept here.

vintage-war-propaganda-posters04.jpg

In any case, shit is getting serious. o_o""" The leaders of the world are really intent on destroying the internet.

http://mashable.com/...ith-pulls-bill/

It's dead.

We did it. The internet bloody did it. HELL YES.

EDIT: Also, PIPA has been 'bagged'.

Wait, we actually beat this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpkBP6dL8AY

HELL YEAH! That's right, don't mess with the internet, or we will kill you with fire!

"Final boss of the Internet cleared. S RANK!"

Problem is, the battle's not over. There is still ACTA in the U.K. But I have faith we will beat it!

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 8

SOPA's down, PIPA's been 'bagged'. This is phenomenal. What's with ACTA now, though? Is it just a European SOPA/PIPA? I'm still kind of worried about the big picture, especially considering that SOPA itself could reemerge, having only been pulled.

They say that if SOPA/PIPA got passed, it would break the ice for future acts all over the place to be passed. Wouldn't ACTA do the same thing?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Major victory. The war ain't over, but it is proof that we won't go down without a fight.

EDIT:

Here watch this!:

OH FUCK.

Now I see why the US stepped down on SOPA and PIPA. They found something much, much worse.

Edited by Phantomime

http://mashable.com/...ith-pulls-bill/

Um, yeah it is. For starters it's not "theft" as per the dictionary defintion.

This. For starters, theivery removes the original product where piracy makes a copy. In other words, piracy is copy and pasting where theviery would be cutting and pasting. It's not any less criminal; it's actually even more detrimental to a business, but it's a different act with a different result and I think it's important the distinction is recognized. If I steal a bag of chips, the store no longer has that bag of chips; further more, I can't clone it and distribute it in a way so that no one has to buy chips ever again.

Edited by SuperStingray

It's been shelved "indefinitely" which means it'll probably come back next election or under a new name, or something. But yeah, for now it's not something to worry too much about but I wouldn't say it's really gone away either.

This defines my stance. SOPA never really mattered. The US gov can always do whatever shit they want to do, with or without legislation "allowing" them to. Hence Megaupload.

When the US gov has always had the power to shut down websites, why do they need a bill like SOPA stating it? Maybe to make the medicine go down easier... but it's still cyanide in disguise.

Edited by Legendary Emerald

I almost feel like Megaupload was a threat. "Yeah, you think you can protest? Ha no." This is becoming less and less about the lobbyists and the companies being pirated out for a vengeance (or fulfilling their ultimate CNET scheme) and more and more about the government just looking for leverage and power. At first i thought it was the companies really pushing for it and the government was piggybacking along for the added power, but with this display the above video? No, it's the companies cashing in on the government's power craze because they happened to nail the timing. It happened to coincide with the government taking insanity to the next level.

I say the pledge in school every morning for the American ideals. "With liberty and justice for all." There always seems to be a bigger picture. The one above SOPA? Internet censorship. Above that? General censorship. And above that? Government corruption in general.