Awoo.

Stop Online Piracy Act & Protect IP Act

Mega

The script being used is an endorsed one from one of the official SOPA Strike websites and is automatic.

Not quite - our JS is my own creation - but there is a script linked on sopastrike.com that does the same thing but censors only certain words. The Wordpress plugin by default redirects to a propaganda page once, then lets visitors use the site as normal.

So, yes, there are myriad ways of taking part. The full site blackout is just the most extreme and reported one, for obvious reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

So apparently the company that runs E3 supports SOPA.

Ah, beat me to it. Kind of a bold proposition, developers boycotting the largest press event in the industry, but considering the ESA's place in all this as a major lobbyist, getting them to change their stance would really have an sway in the liklihood of SOPA and PIPA getting through.

EDIT: Awesome youtube comment:

In Greek

Sopa: Shut up

Pipa: Blowjob

So, basically, the government is telling us to shut up and suck it?

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 4

I've been spreading the word about SOPA and PIPA as far as I can throughout the different web communities and how it affects them while this site was blacked out. I've also been helping to put pressure on the companies part of the ESA through the various petitions that are circulating on the net. Plus I've been contacting my congress person via phone and e-mail to urge them to not support these pieces of legislation. I'll keep doing my part in trying to stop these pieces of legislation.

Tomorrow, we have a new job- for those at school/work still unaware, they will come in utterly confused tomorrow if they didn't bother to read any of the information being passed around. If any of us hear anyone else confused at school/work, we need to hop in and give the most biased, anti-SOPA/PIPA monologue them information and, with the likelihood that they're not avid internetian likes ourselves, point out the specific examples as to how it hurts them.

Edited by Nitwit_Speed
  • Thumbs Up 3

^ which is funny because I would think that the Republicans would be against it ohmy.png

It's mostly the Republicans that are for SOPA and PIPA. But some Democrats are for it, too. In New York City, there was a loud protest against PIPA and the two Democrat senators that support it.

Link: http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/18/10183154-sopa-pipa-protest-held-outside-senators-ny-offices

It's mostly the Republicans that are for SOPA and PIPA. But some Democrats are for it, too. In New York City, there was a loud protest against PIPA and the two Democrat senators that support it.

Link: http://technolog.msn...tors-ny-offices

Which kinda shocks me because the Reps are usually conservative and last time I checked, conservatives are against government intervention for the most part. A reason why I am one as well ;

• Thumbs Up 2

You can delete this post, not sure how i can.

It was extremely political xD

Edited by Nitwit_Speed

Ron Paul is the only GOP candidate against this SOPA garbage. I have posted him several times in my statuses. Here's the article:

http://dailycaller.c...-denounce-sopa/

He's one of the very few people in the U.S. gov't who has brains.

I'm sorry. You mentioned "Ron Paul" and "brains" in the same breath. Please fix this glaring typo.

• Thumbs Up 1

So apparently the company that runs E3 supports SOPA.

Ah, beat me to it. Kind of a bold proposition, developers boycotting the largest press event in the industry, but considering the ESA's place in all this as a major lobbyist, getting them to change their stance would really have an sway in the liklihood of SOPA and PIPA getting through.

EDIT: Awesome youtube comment:

So...when I post about E3 everyone ignores it. But when someone else posts it everyone acknowledges it! >_<

Edited by Shyanne Firefox
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm sick of these all these idiots on facebook comments that still think "lol dumbass dey cant censur da internetz itz imposable!" I wish people would just wake up and smell the coffee and realize that they can and will should this damn bill pass for christ sake. I've already written and sent my letter voicing my disapproval of this bill.

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm sick of these all these idiots on facebook comments that still think "lol dumbass dey cant censur da internetz itz imposable!" I wish people would just wake up and smell the coffee and realize that they can and will should this damn bill pass for christ sake.I've already written and sent my letter voicing my disapproval of this bill.

This is facebook you're talking about. It's the same site that had a lot of people saying Japan deserved that earthquake and tsunami for bombing Pearl Harbor.

• Thumbs Up 9

I'm sick of these all these idiots on facebook comments that still think "lol dumbass dey cant censur da internetz itz imposable!" I wish people would just wake up and smell the coffee and realize that they can and will should this damn bill pass for christ sake.I've already written and sent my letter voicing my disapproval of this bill.

But that's the truth. This bill will accomplish no significant censorship, because it doesn't have to power to outright remove sites, only block them. And that's something a ten year old can circumvent.

The real problem with these bills is not the censorship they will cause, but the precedent for it that they will set.

No word on PIPA, though, and he could just be talking only to "reconsider" later. And even if that's not the case, Congress can turn around and punch the veto in the face.

No word on PIPA, though, and he could just be talking only to "reconsider" later. And even if that's not the case, Congress can turn around and punch the veto in the face.

It's an election year. The election is probably going to be close. These bills are WILDLY unpopular.

President Obama will not pass these bills in their current form unless he's trying to commit political suicide.

• Thumbs Up 9

But that's the truth. This bill will accomplish no significant censorship, because it doesn't have to power to outright remove sites, only block them. And that's something a ten year old can circumvent.

I know it can't remove sites completely but I still shouldn't need to go through the effort to bypass. I haven't looked as deep into this part of it as much as most of you guys but I don't want to risk having a criminal record for trying to get onto SSMB or other such sites.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know it can't remove sites completely but I still shouldn't need to go through the effort to bypass. I haven't looked as deep into this part of it as much as most of you guys but I don't want to risk having a criminal record for trying to get onto SSMB or other such sites.

Edited by Dan-imeJ86
  • Thumbs Up 2

Awesome blog post by RPS's John Walker on SOPA/PIPA.

Fantastic read, particularly the final paragraph. I wish I could say I was shocked that Kotaku hadn't taken part in the protests yesterday, but Gawker Media is rapidly becoming the Fox of online news corps. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that they stayed online for financially-motivated reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm on the fence about this bill. Yes, piracy is horrible but there are other ways to do it. I mean, for one they shut down Limewire which was a smart move on their part but you still have sites like Napster and all that still there. I think if they really wanted to stop piracy, they should shut down the sites that offer free downloads of music/movies and what not, you know the ones that you originally are supposed to pay 99 cents to $2 on. I'm mean, even youtube is cracking down.

Even if they found and shut down said sites, it still won't stop piracy. Pirates will still find other ways to get their pirated content up somewhere else. The only way they would be able to effectively shut down online piracy would be to shut down the entire internet itslef. And we all know how much of a ****storm that would cause....

Also, the funny thing is that some of these big entertainment sites that are heavily supporting SOPA also caused some of this piracy, as shown in this video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy shit! biggrin.png

the blackout did some serious damage to the senate's PIPA support.18 senators; of which 15 were cosponsors have switched sides due to either pressure from the blackout yesterday or a combo of that and being swamped wioth phone calls. read it here:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/pipa-support-collapses-with-13-new-opponents-in-senate.ars

• Thumbs Up 3

Stewart and Colbert had some funny takes on the bills. Although I'm shocked that Jon Stewart wasn't well up to speed on SOPA before now, considering how tech-savvy the show is and his previous issues with Viacom taking down clips from his show on YouTube.

Edited by SuperStingray