Awoo.

Metal Gear Solid

SuperStingray

I watched this interesting video on youtube about whether David Hayter will be voicing Big Boss in MGS5.

The guy thinks that David Hayter will voice Big Boss in MGS: Ground Zeroes. Then in The Phantom Pain that takes place nine years after the events of GZ, Big Boss will be voiced by that new voice actor that we heard in the trailer. Maybe David Hayter will be used to do the voice of a young-teenage Solid Snake at the end of TPP. Richard Doyle of course did Big Boss voice in MGS4, so changing the voice actor as BB gets older to distinguish him from Hayter's-Solid Snake does make sense.

Edited by -Bender-

Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection for PS3?

A new Metal Gear Solid collection appears to be on the way for PlayStation 3. First outed by a Korean ratings board listing, the set appears to be titled the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection and is listed only for PlayStation 3.

BIGVgBaCEAAm4r3-610x849.jpg

Adding fuel to the fire, series creator Hideo Kojima tweeted an image of a Metal Gear Solid logo that appears to include images from all four Metal Gear Solid games in addition to Peace Walker.

In 2011, Konami released the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection on PS3, offering Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Peace Walker in one set. We’ve reached out about the Legacy Collection and will update this story with any comment we receive

Source - http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/18/metal-gear-legacy-collection-outed-by-korean-ratings-board?abthid=51705fb0ee399f7e5d000022

Edited by Lobo
  • Thumbs Up 1

This would be a perfect opportunity for me to get into the series and see what all of the fuss is about.

• Thumbs Up 2

This would be a perfect opportunity for me to get into the series and see what all of the fuss is about.

Wait, that doesn't make sense. PS3 already has Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, which contains MGS2, MGS3, MGS: Peace Walker, Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. The original MGS (PS1) can be downloaded from PSN, and of course MGS4 is on the PS3. Why would they suddenly release another collection so soon? Maybe the legacy collection could be for PS4? I still find that hard to believe.

Okay, I would be interested if it had Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Gamecube), which is basically MGS (PS1) only with better graphics, and MGS: Portable Ops (PSP), as I have not played those games, but still this is strange. Kojima isn't normally the kind of person to keep releasing collections just like that.

Shouldn't they be putting all their efforts into Ground Zeroes?

Edited by -Bender-

Shouldn't they be putting all their efforts into Ground Zeroes?

Game collections/ports are usually made by other studios.

Well, this certainly is a long shot, but let's take a look anyway. Just moments ago (April 20)

(also embedded for convenience) emerged on the net under the YouTube channel moniker "OnigawaraV," hinting at... something.

What we now know based on what Hideo Kojima (the creator of 'Metal Gear') has told us earlier this month is that David Hayter's departure as Snake's long time voice actor in the upcoming 'Metal Gear Solid V' signified a change and a step in a different direction with the series' gameplay and story mechanics, much to the dismay of long time fans. What's strange about this is that the Japanese voice actor has not been changed.

It would be difficult to imagine a 'Metal Gear Solid' game where we play as Snake without David Hayter beneath the veil. And it would seem even stranger that they would change voice roles out of the blue with little to no explanation and, as Hayter himself told us on Twitter, no heads up or "Thank you and goodbye" to the legendary voice actor himself.

With that all said, could this video be a fan's ruse? More viral marketing? Something completely unrelated? Of course. This is a 'Metal Gear Solid' marketing campaign after all and if you've been following what has been going on with 'MGSV: The Phantom Pain' thus far, you'll know what to expect. Or to be more accurate, what not to expect.

If this does turn out to be related in some way and not just an elaborate fan prank/cry for help, this could mean astronomical changes to the Metal Gear Solid universe. For instance, the voice we heard in the latest trailer for 'The Phantom Pain' was not David Hayter, meaning that perhaps this is someone entirely new, despite all signs pointing to it being Big Boss aka Naked Snake.

Whatever the case, be sure to subscribe to Dalton right here on Examiner and stay updated with all things 'Metal Gear' as they emerge. We're all in this together and one thing is for certain: We'll know exactly what the hell is going on soon enough. Let's just try not to collapse with anticipation as the date draws nearer.

Feel free to speculate.

Edited by Kareemadeem
  • Thumbs Up 1

David Hayter changes Twitter avatar to Solid Snake, posts this status:

(Link)

'Mr Oni' says something about the 11th of June, 2013, which happens to be when E3 is.

I'm loving the marketing for this game, reminds me of the good old times of MGS2.

And you guys thought Hayter was gone. lol u guise r silly billys.

Edited by goku262002

Very good. One worry less. Maybe even two, as Kojima's reasoning for getting rid of Hayter was that they wanted to go in a different direction with the series and I was worried that meant they wanted go for a more serious and... "realistic" approach and lose the quirkiness and cheese of the series.

Pfffffffft as if I ever believed that Hayter wouldn't be voicing at least one of the snakes in MGS5.

Thank you god!

I guess we will find out for sure at E3. Kojima is so awesome for trolling us <3.

It'd be cool to have an updated version of Twin Snakes, but I'm not sure if that'd work out. And they'd have to remove the Nintendo references and redo some Psycho Mantis dialogue.

The above gamespot article has now updated with a full explanation of the Legacy Collection:

"Konami marking franchise's 25th anniversary with PS3-exclusive bundle that spans the entire franchise.

The rumor was right. Konami today confirmed Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection, slating the comprehensive PlayStation 3-exclusive bundle to arrive this June. A price was not specified.

MGS_Legacy_BoxFront_01691_embed.jpg

Hideo Kojima teased the project last week, revealing an image of the game's box art. In addition, the Korean Game Ratings board had published an entry for the bundle.

The Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection will be released to mark the franchise's 25th anniversary. The bundle includes Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid 3: HD Edition (including the original MSX versions of the first two games), Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, and Metal Gear Solid 4: Trophy Edition.

On top of the games, the compilation pack will also include two Ashley Wood digital graphic novels, though they were not specified."

The only thing in this collection that you can't already get on PS3 is Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, which was only released on PS1 in 1999 (I think) about a year after MGS was. Also, at least one of the graphical novels is downloadable from PSN, but it's for psp only.

So no MGS: Portable Ops or Twin Snakes sad.png

Edited by -Bender-

Ugh, PS3 only. fuck...

I think it would be easily possible to port the original MGS1 to the 360, MGS4 on the other hand would be a bitch until we get to the next generation Xbox.

I forgot, the HD versions of MGS 2&3, was the soundtracks kept in tact? or were they changed due to the idiot legal dispute with the main theme?

I forgot, the HD versions of MGS 2&3, was the soundtracks kept in tact? or were they changed due to the idiot legal dispute with the main theme?

In the HD collection, MGS2, MGS3 and MGS: Peace Walker all kept their original - awesome - soundtracks.

Edited by -Bender-

I'm pretty stoked. I've been meaning to get into the MGS series for a while, but the only game I've gotten thus far is the MGS1 PSone classic.

No big loss, especially since I can play that one on my Vita.

I'm not sure MGS1 could just be put on the 360. Psycho Mantis requires you to switch controller ports, which isn't possible on the 360.

I already have MGS1 on the PSN, MGS2&3 HD versions, MGS4 on PS3, and Peace Walker on the PSP/Vita. What extra content is going to be in the Legacy collection that would validate me re-buying all those games for practically the same console.

I mean I'm still gonna whore myself to Konami and buy the Legacy Collection, but damn it I'd like some extra content packed into it.

Since this is PS3 only, will we get stuff like Snake vs. Monkey put back in? I hope MGS2 Skateboarding and MGS3 Secret Theatre make it in there, but I doubt it.

• Thumbs Up 1

To clear things up, I am a man. New trailers for the game including a lengthy gameplay presentation are coming this E3. My identity will be revealed before in the coming weeks. Stay tuned. Another clue: I am at least 6 ft tall.

David Hayter is 6'1".

Edited by Kareemadeem

http://www.examiner.com/article/metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-publisher-reveals-franchise-sales

"Konami Digital Entertainment has revealed the total sales achieved so far in regards to the “Metal Gear” franchise. According to a report by The Slanted on April 22, the company behind the upcoming “Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain” disclosed that 33 million units of software have been sold so far for the series."

33 million units, *whistles* wow that is impressive. I wonder if Ground Zeroes, MGSV: The Phantom Pain and the Legacy collection will be enough to smash 50 million units?

Edited by -Bender-

http://www.examiner.com/article/metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-publisher-reveals-franchise-sales

"Konami Digital Entertainment has revealed the total sales achieved so far in regards to the “Metal Gear” franchise. According to a report by The Slanted on April 22, the company behind the upcoming “Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain” disclosed that 33 million units of software have been sold so far for the series."

33 million units, *whistles* wow that is impressive. I wonder if Ground Zeroes, MGSV: The Phantom Pain and the Legacy collection will be enough to smash 50 million units?

Depends on whether or not GZ and PP are the same game; not sure if that's been made clear yet.  I'd estimate (maybe a bit generously) they'd each sell around 6 to 8 million, but since the HD collection just came out, Legacy's mainly going to sell to dedicated veterans, collectors and a few people who failed to jump on the boat the first two times.  So around 2 million.

Hideo Kojima Posts Metal Gear Solid 5 Development Update :

Hideo Kojima hasn't been posting updates about the progress of his latest game, Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, on Twitter, for very long. But since he's began, he's been keen on updating his readers with what he's been up to on the project and how it's coming along.

Today, Kojima stated that all of the game's large-scale motion capture (mo-cap) is complete. He says that in spite of this development, much of the game itself has yet to be done, as the developers still need to shoot game motion, in addition to the voice acting and facial capturing.

"Such a large-scale Mo-cap is all done, but the game itself needs more time to be completed. We still need to shoot game motion, in addition to voice recording, facial capturing," he wrote. "And moreover implementing those tremendous volume of data takes tremendous amount of time and effort."

He added that should the game's development be referred to in terms of movie creation, it would be as if the studio still had to perform post-production and editing.

"If it were movie creation, post-production and editing will follow after shooting, plus adding audio but since it is game we have a lot to go," wrote Kojima. "But still I feel content as this is the 1st end of phases. This time it took over a year including auditioning, 3D capturing, military training, reading, rehearsing and shooting."

Edited by -Bender-

• 4 weeks later...

http://metalgearsolid.nl/?p=7836

"The Electronic Entertainment Expo, the biggest video game conference of the year, is only a few weeks away now. It’s safe to assume Kojima and his team are busy preparing at this moment. Today, some tweets posted by Kojima hint at a possible gameplay demonstration.

In the first post, Kojima talks about going on a business trip, despite his tight schedule getting ready for June (that’s when the E3 will take place). His second comment is more interesting. Kojima mentions that it’s difficult to show a gameplay demonstration for an open world game in a short video. This seems to suggest there will be a gameplay demonstration at E3, and the open world aspect will probably play a role in it as well.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain itself isn’t mentioned by name, but it’s safe to assume this is what Kojima is talking about.

Konami’s pre-E3 show will take place on June 6, Metal Gear Solid V is one of the games confirmed for the show. It will be live streamed on several websites such as GameSpot and Gametrailers, as well as on Xbox Live."

Source: Hideo Kojima Twitter

A possible open-world MGSV gameplay demo at E3? Fuck yeah! *Marks calendar*
Edited by -Clara Oswald-

• 2 weeks later...

I just hope I don't lose my voice."

Ha. good one.

It really looks like he'll still be voicing Snake/Big Boss. That definitely makes me happy,