Awoo.

This Week On PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Free Avatars, Oh Kratos... you continue to goof.

Badnik Mechanic

The first party roster is as good as it's going to get. Sony would probably be way too prone to be scraping the barrel if they tried digging out some more. Whether they're doing the current inclusions justice with it is debatable.

I feel Sony got ahead of themselves a bit with how they wanted to handle it, letting people in on whoever was the highest bidder. It could have been a fantastic downloadable, an "experiment" for a future series if it just calmed down a little and didn't set out from the get-go to squarely compete with Smash. Sort of build it's own, y'know?

I hope this gets sequels that can expand upon itself and improve but I'd rather that not happen within this generation. Make us really long for it and then come back with a bigger budget, better marketing and more structured development.

• Thumbs Up 3

I see why people may not like the current roster since it lacks Crash, Spyro and a FF rep, but what we have by now its also pretty good if you grew up with the Playstation consoles and their games.

Well, then... I think I didn't grew up with PS consoles at all, even having all of them. I know how much paper they and other companies would have to sign to add the character at least I consider vital to the PS legacy. I guess it's just my childhood talking, because this game will always looks imcomplete to me without Crash, Spyro, Tomba, Lara Croft, Gex, a Gran Turismo rep, an ICO rep and even a Resident Evil/Dino Crisis rep...

But you guys, have lots of fun playing it, please.

Edited by Jango

Well, then... I think I didn't grew up with PS consoles at all, even having all of them. I know how much paper they and other companies would have to sign to add the character at least I consider vital to the PS legacy. I guess it's just my childhood talking, because this game will always looks imcomplete to me without Crash, Spyro, Tomba, Lara Croft, Gex, a Gran Turismo rep, an ICO rep and even a Resident Evil/Dino Crisis rep...

But you guys, have lots of fun playing it, please.

Not trying to sound rude, but most of the characters that are in the game are way more important to Playstation than half of the ones you mentioned, being 98% of them only associated with the psx.

Crash, Spyro, GT and Team Ico's games I understand, but stuff like Resident Evil and Gex?

Like you I'm pretty sad that we will not be able to play as Crash and Spyro since they where basically the face of the psx, but guys like Lara Croft, Jill Valentine or Gex where multi platform after some months/years or even since day 1.

I can't see how GT can be fully represented in this since there are some copyrights and stuff, but we still have the Black Rock Stadium stage for racing games crossovers, that's for sure.

Team Ico's games like I said before would be better represented with stages, when I think about SotC for example the colossi come right into my mind, not Wander.

I can't really talk about Tomba since I never played much of it and it doesn't seem to be a huge Playstation name like PaRappa or Crash Bandicoot to compare to some of the other psx titles.

Other than that, Kratos, Nathan Drake, Ratchet, Crash and PaRappa for example are what made Playstation what it is today and also what people associate with the brand, of course 3rd parties also had an important role, but not as much as the 1st party.

Edited by Tmsp

Ok so I finally got to play the game today twice at Eurogamer and I'm really liking it. I was a little iffy that there was no health bar in the game but now I actually quite like how you get kills in the game. It's Smash Bros but more combo heavy.

I won't bag on the roster, that's the only thing I like about this game so far. It's fairly diverse, covering important characters from the 3 eras of PlayStation. I'll continue to say that I just do not find the game fun but, the roster isn't a problem.

Apparently the guys who did Odd World really wanted Abe to be in the game, him being on disk or even DLC with certain sectors of Sony expressing big interest in Abe's inclusion.

So, today at Eurogamer Expo 2012 during Abe's Oddysee HD developer session someone asked about Abe and PSASBR, the answer was "I can't talk about it right now".

(at 46:40)

So, what if Abe really makes into the game? Would you guys be intrested in him or just indifferent about his inclusion?

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oddworld is one of my favorite series and Abe is one of my favorite protagonists in any game.

That said he doesn't have a single way of actually performing combat. The point of his being is that he's a pathetic character and his only form of fending is either tossing grenades or possessing enemies. It's kind of like how people always talked about Yorda being a rumored character, although in the latter scenario I'd have to seriously smack someone at SuperBot for thinking it'd have been a good idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

Abe could simply summon posessed paramites/scrags/whatever or trigger all sorts of traps for his attacks. Sackboy already makes gadgets appear out of thin air. It's not hard to imagine a moveset in this manner and would make for an interesting style.

On the previous genre discussion, I would have loved if this was a MOBA (see: DotA, LoL) game rather than a fighter/party hybrid. Underrepresented on consoles, allows and benefits from radically different character appearance/mechanics, easily monetized with the sale of cosmetic addons, no butthurt fanboys, etc.

(Well, I'd personally have loved a RPG but these don't have the pull they used to)

Paul Gale sent an e-mail to SuperBot talking about the game characters that he knew about: http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2012/10/01/the-final-list-of-characters-that-paul-gale-network-has-in-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-has-been-sent-to-superbot-heres-the-e-mail/

In the e-mail he just covered the non-revealed characters names with *'s and people are now trying to guess them.

Detective Gaf is already at work and well, this seems to fit:

Furthermore, it was being speculated that your team was in a negotiation state with Ubisoft, in determining whether to use Altair, Ezio or Connor. Connor was said to be the most likely Assassin's Creed candidate, as it would correlate with the new retail release.

What do you guys think? If any of those are in the game it will not be shocking news to me, surprising would be not having any AC rep in the game DLC or not.

It's a bunch of nothing. Paul Gale essentially saving face by going back on his "shock" over Shuman's tweet about the launch lineup being revealed despite him saying in this post he had no idea what characters would be offered for DLC.

Remind me why he even matters anymore when it's pretty clear that other people have proven to be far better providing information than he is while he'd rather spend his time beating around the bush and "hinting" things as an excuse to post model photos of himself.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's a bunch of nothing. Paul Gale essentially saving face by going back on his "shock" over Shuman's tweet about the launch lineup being revealed despite him saying in this post he had no idea what characters would be offered for DLC.

Remind me why he even matters anymore when it's pretty clear that other people have proven to be far better providing information than he is while he'd rather spend his time beating around the bush and "hinting" things as an excuse to post model photos of himself.

To be honest, Paul Gale has little to not a single bit of credibility by now (none for a long time now for me).

There are lots of stuff that he hinted before including 2 female characters, a RPG one and some other thing that I can't remember now and what does he do about it? Post pics of him doing pushovers.

I just posted this because it looks like his characters seem to be the same that TheMink knows about, I wonder why?

Anyway, there seem to be leakers everywhere now. Since last week the guy that has been leaking the beta started posting his own "hints" with videos about snakes and even the ending song from FFVII:CC.

I just don't care about those hints anymore, the most trustworthy leaker by now seems to be TheMink and going by him we get Kat, Ryu and some unknown character as DLC and that's pretty much it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, but i can't accept the fact that Mink said almost nothing and now he's like the prophet of this days. It's so easy to say "well guys, there will be nothing more exept probably this fan request character and this more obscure one just to be more credible as DLC" and just build your throne with it, that i myself could have done it.

At least Paul Gale even if he's a liar and wants only attention is creative.

Moral of the story: i don't want to listen anymore to anyone so called leaker, and just wait for SuperBot to say something about it.

Geez, at least after the game will be released a good chunck of people will shut up about it.

You know that before the "this is the full roster" and the DLC he leaked all the characters that we know by now before the beta leaks, even Evil Cole.

I'm not saying that he is the godly prophet of this game and in no way I believe at 100% in those leaks, but you do have to give him credit for leaking guys like DmC Dante, Raiden and Evil Cole.

Sorry, but i can't accept the fact that Mink said almost nothing and now he's like the prophet of this days. It's so easy to say "well guys, there will be nothing more exept probably this fan request character and this more obscure one just to be more credible as DLC" and just build your throne with it, that i myself could have done it.

At least Paul Gale even if he's a liar and wants only attention is creative.

Moral of the story: i don't want to listen anymore to anyone so called leaker, and just wait for SuperBot to say something about it.

Geez, at least after the game will be released a good chunck of people will shut up about it.

"I don't care for the Mink, because I've never heard of him/her before and a lot his/her leaks/predictions are proving true. I don't want accurate predictions if they're not creative. Now stop speculating about who's going to be on the roster and just stop talking about this game you're excited for."

?

From GAF:

0U3su.jpg

This is the best thing I've seen about this game. Yes, I know it's a joke.

Regarding Connor be in the game, he and SuperBot can go feck themselves. Silly of me thought this game was supposed to bring a bit more that a drop of nostalgia, it's just a cash grabber and marketing shit, but I can't blame them... much.

• Thumbs Up 9

Or maybe we could all stop being passive aggressive about casting choices? Surely there is a more respectable way of conducting ourselves.

Yes it's totally not going for any sort of nostalgia appeal whatsoever when one of the most prominent characters in promotional material is Parappa the Fucking Rapper. It also doesn't have Spike from Ape Escape and Sir Daniel from the MediEvil series.

Oh yeah and it's not like I wasn't still a kid when I played Ratchet, Sly Cooper and Jak for the first time. I didn't play Twisted Metal for the first time when I was a kid either!

Just a total mindless cash grab. Not like it was made for people like me who actual pay attention to and give a fuck about Sony IPs and their history outside of fallen titans like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon. Yep, yep.

How dare you forget that you can only be nostalgic about platformers!?

Yes it's totally not going for any sort of nostalgia appeal whatsoever when one of the most prominent characters in promotional material is Parappa the Fucking Rapper. It also doesn't have Spike from Ape Escape and Sir Daniel from the MediEvil series.

Oh yeah and it's not like I wasn't still a kid when I played Ratchet, Sly Cooper and Jak for the first time. I didn't play Twisted Metal for the first time when I was a kid either!

Just a total mindless cash grab. Not like it was made for people like me who actual pay attention to and give a fuck about Sony IPs and their history outside of fallen titans like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon. Yep, yep.

You got a point, but the fact is, my nostalgia is not the same as yours :P I still think they could have added more first-party chars, or at least, Lara Croft for a third-party, since makes better for nostalgia.

By the way, sorry if I overreacted about this whole cast thing and if I've offended someone, I think I'm on my period.

You got a point, but the fact is, my nostalgia is not the same as yours tongue.png I still think they could have added more first-party chars, or at least, Lara Croft for a third-party, since makes better for nostalgia.

By the way, sorry if I overreacted about this whole cast thing and if I've offended someone, I think I'm on my period.

The guys that own Lara Croft now where pretty direct and a bit rude about her inclusion:

HiBlV.png

Anyway, a fighting game is too violent for the new Lara. Remember you'll want to protect her!

Edited by Tmsp

Anyway, a fighting game is too violent for the new Lara. Remember you'll want to protect her!

Well who knows, maybe they could make it work. Does anyone in the line-up happen to have a bear-trap and/or psychopathic rapist available?

i feel terrible that i can make that joke D:

Edited by Soma

Well who knows, maybe they could make it work. Does anyone in the line-up happen to have a bear-trap and/or psychopathic rapist available?

They'll just use Daxter.