Awoo.

This Week On PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Free Avatars, Oh Kratos... you continue to goof.

Badnik Mechanic

I don't think Evil Cole was that big of a waste. Besides, he plays completely different.

It's not like he's Dr. Mario in Melee.

i gotta agree with that. if this game does one thing better than smash bros it's the diversity in character movesets. while there are similarities, ultimately everyone is different unlike in smash bros.

You are not getting my money SuperBot, feck you traitors! SInce that guy I don't remember the name said Crash would NEVER be a DLC, my will of buying this game is zero, nothing, nada, necas de pitibiriba, nonono.

And now I shall leave this thread... FOREVAH!

*zoings away*

Edited by Jango

*enters senile rage mode*

I've just read that SE PR is in some deep shit, I hope they cancel this effin game!

*leaves senile rage mode*

Edited by Jango

If it's anyone's fault Crash Bandicoot isn't in the game it's Activision's, but I digress.

Naw, I get what you mean loud and clear.It's what I suspected from the start.

I...really don't know what to say. Superbot did say however that there are more reveals so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

My decision of purchasing this game hasn't changed, I'll get this game but not on day 1.

I think the line up is pretty weak and not really interesting, but maybe that's just because I grew up with Nintendo. But personally, I think 20 characters is a bit...I dunno, I wish there would be more.

Oh, DLC sucks btw.

I think its safe to say that a lot of people didn't want to like the game and in the end, they don't like the game, so nothing much has changed in that respect. Also I fail to see how PR fail means the game is no longer worth buying.

Oh well. I hope there's a sequel which changes things up. Chances are there won't be, because at this stage I doubt anyone will actually buy the game, but I honestly think this game needs a rethink and needs somebody else to give it a shot.

The game was kind of handicapped from the start. Either they made it similar to SSB and have everyone call it a ripoff, or they change enough of it to have everyone call it a badly made ripoff/poor man's version.

Honestly, it's not so much the changes to make it different from SSB that's the problem - pretty much everyone SSB clone tries to make itself stand out somehow and the majority of them tend to be rather enjoyable (the Jump Super Star games, for example, use health bars and breakable panel walls for optional out of the stage KOs), but this game not only feels like it's doing the whole crossover thing wrong, the way it's trying to differentiate itself and the mindset behind it (the super-to-KO mechanic) is such a stupid idea that, from what I can tell, really doesn't work in practice either.

Have you actually played the game? Or did you watch vids and go by impressions from biased haters? I i was skeptical of the super kill system until i actually played the game also. but after playing, i can say that the system is fun and almost as satisfying as smash bros ring out system.

Still a day 1 from me, from what I've played it was fun even with the whole 1-hit kill super. For me it was antcipating your opponent's supers and trying to dodge them is something that was part of the thrill. I also have friends on psn that have never played SSBB but want this game. So it seems like a good party game and something to fill the gap till SSB4 is announced for me.

That feel when you get all three characters with Parappa's level 1.

Roster wise I got most (Kat) of the characters on my wanted list like Toro and Sir Dan. I honestly didn't really have high hopes for Crash and Spyro.

Honestly, even though there's just 4 third party characters, they really should've just focused on Sony exclusives for this game.In comparison to Smahs Bros ,cause fuck it, it's the closest most relevant damn thing we can compare this game to. Yes Smash Bros. 64 didn't start out with 25+ characters, but they did get most of the important characters and franchises a spot in there first. After that game, they focused on what other characters they had left out/were forced to leave out for Melee. Then finally in Brawl they started with TPC's. Look at Sonic, he was never planned from the beginning, he was pretty much the last character to be added in.

Look what I'm trying to say is I think it would've been smarter for Superbot to have focused on Sony Ip's only for the launch line up, then maybe either do some TPC's for DLC, or the next game. 4 TPC's is actually alot for the very first Sony crossover (Playstation Move Heroes does not exist), and even though it may not sound like a big difference compared to the 16 other characters, those 4 spots could've gone to other Sony worthy franchises for this game (Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Gravity Rush, etc). I'm not saying the roster sucks or anything, but it could've been much better.

If it's anyone's fault Crash Bandicoot isn't in the game it's Activision's, but I digress.

I still do wonder what's up with SuperBot and Activision. We don't even know if SuperBot even tried to contact Activision about Crash/Spyro, and all Activision has said on the matter is "Ask SuperBot". That tweet made it seem like they were waiting on SuperBot to ask for permission to use their characters, and to me it just seems strange to me that Activision would have any problems lending one or two characters to Sony for this one game. Even now the aspect of one of them appearing as DLC characters seems incredibly unlikely. I do wish Superbot would be more open about subjects like these, and like Carbo said earlier, not resort to mainly using Paul Gale's cryptic as a fucking mammogram unreliable pictures.

Edited by Nintendoga

I think its safe to say that a lot of people didn't want to like the game and in the end, they don't like the game, so nothing much has changed in that respect.

I'm a huge Smash fan, and I wanted the game to succeed at first, despite my sarcasm. I wanted to revisit the old haunts of Sony's past, I wanted to use the game to find great new franchises to play with like I did with Smash, I wanted it to play well, and I wanted it to be respectful. Everything released about the game has only shown me just how little of these elements are going to be a part of the endgame.

I can't enjoy any old haunts because the stages are so irreverently put together as to make me more annoyed than anything at the line-up. I can't enjoy the new franchises because even my favorite old franchises are being mistreated (how does one suck all the life out of Sackboy?), so I can't trust the game to give me a good look at what makes these guys great beyond what movesets they have. It seems I can't play it well, because people have already noted its glitches and terrible design choices can't all be fixed in time. And last but not least, I can't say that SuperBot's been all that respectful. They've admitted themselves that how they put the stages together and so on were just for comedy value, and it shows. The game doesn't look like a battle between cherished franchises, it looks like a farce.

I couldn't have known any of that were it not for SuperBot and the beta-testers. My apologies to Chooch for dragging out another negative argument, but I will not stand to have many people have their arguments just denounced because they aren't here to argue back.

(And on a side note, am I the only one who would have actually enjoyed a good Smash clone? I mean sure, even more unoriginal, but if they did it right it would be a blast).

I like all the first-party characters, they all are pretty good, but what I have a problem with are the third-party characters. Hardly any of the third-party characters have had anything to do with Playstation. Sure, they have been on Playstation systems, but have any of them been asked for? Did anybody ask for Dante, Big Daddy, Raiden or Heihachi Mishima? I'm not trying to sound like a dick to the people that like those characters and are happy because of them appearing in the game, but I think all of them are really bad choices. I like Raiden, but I still think he doesn't need to be in a game called Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. Now want to hear my ideas for third-party characters? No, you don't, because we both have different interests, I want characters you might not want. Now, this is different, there have been hundreds of people asking for Crash Bandicoot, Cloud, Lightning, Spyro, Abe, Lara Croft, Kat, etc. Why not include any of them? Mostly all of them have had a Playstation Exclusive game. I mean sure, Lightning hasn't had a Playstation exclusive game, but she's been asked for by hundreds of people. I might be wrong, but I don't remember people rioting for Dante, Raiden, Big Daddy, or Heihachi Mishima. I don't know what was going on during this games' production, for all we know, Sony might have tried to get all of these characters in the game, I have really no idea, but if my gut is telling me correctly, Sony/Superbot didn't try to get any of those characters in the game.

Edited by Winston
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to go ahead and guess that whoever paid Sony the most got their characters in the game. The roster is basically advertisement.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that whoever paid Sony the most got their characters in the game. The roster is basically advertisement.

+Parappa and that sounds about right

Wouldn't it be the opposite?

Wouldn't Sony have to pay the owners of IP to use them in their game? Like how Disney would have had to pay (far too much) to Nintendo to use Mario in Wreck it Wralph.

They totally should've went with my idea of making this a Mario Party-esque game.

I mean c'mon, playing Grab-Bag or Bumper-Balls with Kratos, Sweet Tooth, Parappa, and Toro?

Who the hell wouldn't buy that?

• Thumbs Up 4

Wouldn't it be the opposite?

Wouldn't Sony have to pay the owners of IP to use them in their game?

I only think it works that way if they asked them to use the characters, and I really don't think Sony/Superbot asked to use them.

Edited by Winston

They totally should've went with my idea of making this a Mario Party-esque game.

I mean c'mon, playing Grab-Bag or Bumper-Balls with Kratos, Sweet Tooth, Parappa, and Toro?

Who the hell wouldn't buy that?

Why bother? People would just complain about that being a ripoff, too and that the character choices suck and that Nintendo did it first and etc...

• Thumbs Up 1

Why would a game made in a similar fashion to Mario Party get a better reception than a game made in a similar fashion to Smash Bros.?

Fanboys will still tear it apart for the same reasons Slash mentioned. I've said it countless times. It's a lose-lose situation no matter what. :\

Well I was serious. I won't really deny it. I don't think I'll even bother going in this topic anymore.

Not really much of a point given the consensus around here. Maybe once the game releases. :\

Wow, people hating the roster? I can understand the hate for 3rd party characters, but the sony ones?

We got almost every characters that represents a portion of playstation story via sony characters.

The psx era is very well covered with gems like PaRappa, Sir Daniel, Spike and Sweet Tooth. The PS2 era as every character that represented it except Team Ico's characters (in my opinion SotC and Ico would be better represented via stages) with Ratchet, Sly, Jak and Kratos.

The PS3 era has pretty much every one of them with Nathan Drake, Cole and Sackboy.

The only things that aren't represented in this are the PSP and the Vita and that could change if TheMink is right.

While most people don't like the 3rd party characters, some make sense like Heihachi. The Tekken series have a really strong connection with Playstation being an exclusive until the 6th installment, the series where even called by some the "Playstation fighter" back in the days.

While people may not like Dante he is representing the DMC series which where a very strong Playstation 2 exclusive series, he is just a redesign and the complains sound like the Modern Sonic vs Classic Sonic argument all over again. Same character, different design/attitude/gameplay/whatever.

Sna... I mean Raiden, is still a character associated with the Playstation brand, not as much as Snake, but still has connections. People are just going crazy over Raiden since there is a multi platform game starring him coming out soon. That and because he isn't Snake...

Big Daddy... Well... all Bioshock games are in the PS3, I guess...

I see why people may not like the current roster since it lacks Crash, Spyro and a FF rep, but what we have by now its also pretty good if you grew up with the Playstation consoles and their games.

Maybe we may get those guys for DLC or a sequel, who knows?

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 4