Awoo.

Sonic Generations Impressions, Help, & Discussion Topic

Agent York

I've finally 100% the entire Genesis era. All red rings, all S-ranks, and wow! I really underestimated the length and challenge of this game. I didn't really realise how ridiculously many missions there are when picking out a chosen 3 to advance the story. Frankly, most of the missions would count as a full act in Sonic Colors, so this game maybe short to beat, but it's huge for completionists.

If I didn't have work and the full night of sleep necessary to function at work, I'd pull an all-nighter on this game easy.

• Thumbs Up 1

You get a skateboard whenever you want by 100% completing City Escape? That sounds like so much fun, this game in general is just full of fun ideas, I'm really happy with it so far.

To be honest the Shadow fight made no sense what so ever. Why did I have to get the shiny thing and why am I headbutting purple meteors?

yea I don't get it either tbh.

I like the almost Mario Galaxy kind of progression this game has. You're given a series of levels that you can tackle in any order, and to advance the game you must complete not only the level, but challenges within the levels as well. Not quite the same, but it's a little less linear than the usual Sonic fair of going from level to level, and I like it. It allows for more room to take it easy and do things at your own pace if you don't want to rush things.

• Thumbs Up 2

For the love of chili dogs,

I CAN NOT get that stupid red ring in City Escape that's suspended in mid-air way above the round-about during the boarding section. I've tried launching off that ramp right before it on the side to get up there and then ramp off that little jump up there, but I fall short by a bit, O_o. I've over-shot it a few times too. So my question is, HOW DO I GET IT RIGHT, T_T!?

For the love of chili dogs,

I CAN NOT get that stupid red ring in City Escape that's suspended in mid-air way above the round-about during the boarding section. I've tried launching off that ramp right before it on the side to get up there and then ramp off that little jump up there, but I fall short by a bit, O_o. I've over-shot it a few times too. So my question is, HOW DO I GET IT RIGHT, T_T!?

That in my opinion, is the most obnoxious and frustrating Red Ring in the game. I've obtained them all and I found that one to be the worst. Try to straighten yourself out before you hit the ramp and try jumping at different points on the ramp itself. Your distance depends on when you jump.

I played the Shadow fight and beat him in about a minute. My reaction?

"That was fucking AWESOME. Bring on Hard Mode!"

Hard mode made the fight quite a bit longer; up to three minutes, IIRC. This was definitely a much better fight than the original.

Wow some of these missions suck (Ex. Amy in Modern Chemical Plant) but others like High Speed Hijinks in Modern Sky Sanctuary or Toxic Skies in Classic Chemical Plant are absolutely fantastic!

I updated the list above! Seaside Hill Classic took me quite a while to get all the red rings. It was quite a pain to find all the hidden Red Rings due to so many paths. I am telling you to stay at the top route at the start of the level. When you hit the first robot that is in the background, keep going down. When you see the moving pillars wait for them to go down,go left, and you will a Red Ring.

Just beat it a couple of hours ago and I'm at a loss for words. This is the most fun I've had with a Sonic game since SA2 on the dreamcast and I'm so glad I've avoided the Generation forum like it was syphilis for the past few months. Playing this game with unspoiled, virgin eyes was magical, it reminded me of the first time I played Sonic and Knuckles after not even knowing the game existed and having my mind blown.

Modern Sonic is perfect now, controls are tight, boost is nerfed, level are huge, unique with tons of alternate paths. I can't wait for the next game to use this gameplay with completely original levels.

Classic Sonic however, feels like the weaker of the two styles IMO. It's fun to play as the mini-hog of course but despite what the reviewers claim the physics and controls are just slightly different from the classics, although only hardcore fans would even notice this. Only other gripe is the fact that C. Sonic has no air mobility options despite being the more platform heavy of the two styles. I know you can unlock his S3&K shield abilities but I feel he should have at least had a (weak)jump dash or double jump from the start. Anyway those are my only real complaints, I'm just glad to see the series finally turn around for the better.

I just defeated the final boss and yet, there are plenty of missions and red rings to find. But that's okay, I'm glad there is plenty to do in this game. Classic Sonic is back in action and Modern Sonic plays like a well-oiled machine. I'm definitely enjoying this game. smile.png

yo dudes, Cyberman65 is doing a playthrough of him finding all Red Rings and shortcuts.

He's also done the red rings for Sky Sanctuary and Chemical Plant, very helpful.

You REALLY got search up and down for those things.

Edited by Dantemustdie00
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm up to Speed Highway and... Honestly? I... I liked Colors better... I've ran into several glitches on average runs so far that did suck me out of the experience, but none of them were really game breaking. (My biggest gripe is how Modern Sonic can't make sharp turns while moving. It's REALLY annoying when you're trying to backtrack a bit to get to another platform.) I'm probably missing something, but so far this game just isn't what I was expecting. .-.

(Also, Speed Highway is The Shizz. I wish I never spoiled the other modern levels for myself, because that was when the nostalgia for ME truly hit...)

BUT Y NO AT DAWN!?!

Edited by Onyx Leo

I haven't experienced any glitches yet, but yeah, the drifting controls aren't as good as they were in Colors, even without boosting.

Apparently, you can homing attack the Helicopter from the very start of Modern Speed Highway, as Cream hint's when you talk to her, through It's hard to nab cause that copter speeds off so fast.

It would've been cool if they actually did a At Dawn section, at a downtown like setting.

You know I'm a bit curious, why didn't they use the proper hovering Badniks or the flying Eggpawns for Speed highway and Seaside Hill, their shouldn't be the Unleashed Spinner in those stages. Kinda odd.

I haven't experienced any glitches yet, but yeah, the drifting controls aren't as good as they were in Colors, even without boosting.

Apparently, you can homing attack the Helicopter from the very start of Modern Speed Highway, as Cream hint's when you talk to her, through It's hard to nab cause that copter speeds off so fast.

It would've been cool if they actually did a At Dawn section, at a downtown like setting.

You know I'm a bit curious, why didn't they use the proper hovering Badniks or the flying Eggpawns for Speed highway and Seaside Hill, their shouldn't be the Unleashed Spinner in those stages. Kinda odd.

That's just how they've redone them over the years. People say the same thing about Perfect Chaos.

I have to say, Classic Sonic feels awkward between levels. At one moment he feels floaty, then at others he feels heavy, particulary when you're trying to make a more careful jump on a platform. The controls feel WAY too tight, or maybe that's just the awkwardness I'm feeling. I actually died on the first boss because of this feeling. Weird, I know...

I'm gonna have to agree with this. Classic Sonic didn't really feel fluid at all and lacks control.

Here's my review though. I posted it on my own blog forum so: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Smash_SL/index.php?showtopic=589&st=0&#last

Dear Generations, thank you for making me love Sonic again because after Colors I seriously had my doubts. Also thank you for making a Green Hill zone rendition that I love playing. The last one was I thoroughly enjoyed was Sunset Hill Zone from Sonic Advance 3... all the others were bleh.

In mere hours I made it to the last boss (which I plan to topple today, but honestly I was out of lives and too tired to do it), but it was not so simple. On most level plays I never even made it to 100 rings. There's enemies, there's spikes, there's traps, and there are bottomless pits (for those people who nag about them) but THEY warn you of them. So don't even complain. The levels present challenge, but they are not cheap. Big difference.

Some levels were truly done justice (Rooftop Run was always great, but the Generations version does give it more flair, challenge and when I saw those hot air balloons while going down the railing I was so touched). While others while merely okay (City Escape didn't come of as a homage, but more so as it's own level, but that GUN truck massacring the level as Classic Sonic was scary, yet great as hell).

Both Classic and Modern Sonic are fun. Really they are! I was a little wary of Act 1 levels because it did remind me of Colors (because that game is pretty much a lame 2D Sonic game on a Wii), but they were quite enjoyable with multiple pathways, hints and touches of nostalgia, and huge obstacles to fear. I'm telling you, that GUN truck was scary. Modern Sonic is Unleashed with less emphasis on speed and more platforming, but unlike Colors the platforming doesn't bog down the gameplay. Simple as that.

PS: Racing Metal was AWESOME. If you haven't done it yet, go do it NOW.

Biggest complaint? Sonic seems small compared to the level... or it that just me?

...and why Sky Sanctuary? I always hated that place. Why not Lava Reef?

I honestly recommend it. I don't think I'll love it like I did Unleashed but its a solid Sonic game. Truly.

Edit: I totally forgot, for the first time ever, drifting doesn't make me feel like I'm going to fall off edge or get stuck in a corner.

Edited by eboni
  • Thumbs Up 2

yo dudes, Cyberman65 is doing a playthrough of him finding all Red Rings and shortcuts.

He's also done the red rings for Sky Sanctuary and Chemical Plant, very helpful.

You REALLY got search up and down and all around for those things.

Fix'd :P

So, they're tougher than the Colours ones? Good. Most of them were really easy in that game.

You REALLY got search up and down for those things.

Cyberman65 always 100% a Sonic game, dude has the eye of a hawk.

Oh has this been posted already?

The entire statue room, someone on gamefaqs found all the codes.

Edited by Dantemustdie00
  • Thumbs Up 1

!

Wow!!! Hey guys! Those characters statues are 3D Renders of their Sonic Channel Arts!!! You can totally see it when watching Silver, Shadow, Vector, Espio, Jet and Blaze!!! Pretty nice touch!

!

Hehe, a good number of those statues were lifted from Smash Bros. XD I think I think I'll just think of them as an homage to past spinoffs rather than lazyness. XDD

Also, played a bit more of the game today. I broke modern Seaside Hill twice, but overall the experience was fun! The modern stages could have gone through a bit more QA and polish, but the game itself is solid! Bumping my personal rating of a 7 up to a 7.8 from a gamer standpoint, and a solid 8 as a Sonic fan. .-. DAT MUSIC! If you haven't done it yet, play Sonic Boom on Modern Greenhill. It nearly brought a tear to my eye.

• Thumbs Up 1

By the way. Does any one know how to do TRICKS with Classic Sonic? I notice every once in awhile when I bounce off enemies, he'll pose in the air like Modern Sonic does. Does this just happen randomly? Or is there some kind of input?

EDIT:

nevermind. Here's a good explanation. Edited by Cephrien