Awoo.

Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver Discussion

PSI Wind

Cause they may be lazy. To be honest though, I'm only interested in having a the Totodile and Cyndaquil lines follow me. Not at the same time of course, but the starters always seem special to me. If they let you take others, then the only others I'd want would be the Bulbasaur and Piplup families. That's not to say I want them not to put in the ability to have anyone follow you, I genuinely am just not that bothered. That fact that you can get stalked by just the starter Pok

Edited by Blue Blood

Actually I'd give anything to have a Jirachi or Gardevoir following me. It sounds FUKKEN AWESOME. D:

Thanks, now you've converted me. T-T Hopeless denial time.

I hope it does. Dittoface is awesome on just about anything.

PWNED! :lol:

ts-1.jpg

XD.

Cause they may be lazy. To be honest though, I'm only interested in having a the Totodile and Cyndaquil lines follow me. Not at the same time of course, but the starters always seem special to me. If they let you take others, then the only others I'd want would be the Bulbasaur and Piplup families. That's not to say I want them not to put in the ability to have anyone follow you, I genuinely am just not that bothered. That fact that you can get stalked by just the starter Pokemon is cool enough!

fixed

chill out newbie i didnt mean to offend. translate if you would.

Eh, s/he's right. I find it quite upsetting.

I'd translate but I guess info is already available in English?

Edited by Vasco

Shouldn't the fact that there's lots to program and too much memory to store also factor for some of the "lazy limitations" in these games? And consider the fact that these're all games programed into small cartridges, that I doubt they'd have the capacity of a big console games.

Though I think they might have any Pokemon follow you, I think it might be preferable for them to stick to a handful. Dunno why, but it seems like it.

Does anybody have any information on the capacity of the DS' SD cards, and how much space D/P took up?

What exactly did you "fix"? :blink:

I think he fixed the e in Pokemon because the e with the dash above it comes out glitch on this forum. What is it with this 'fixed' craze the past few months? Every forum I go to people have this annoying habit of quoting people's posts and 'fixing' them, does it really matter as long as you know what they are saying wether its badly typed out or not? Some people have too much spare time on their hands.

Anyway, on topic -

I think the wind blowing through the grass is a cool little effect in D/P/Pt and these games. I'd love to see more touches like that added to these games.

Another reason I think Pokemon following you will be limited to the starters is because it wouldn't make sense for some water Pokemon to follow you on land. I wonder if the starter Pokemon will still follow you after evolving?

Does anybody have any information on the capacity of the DS' SD cards, and how much space D/P took up?

Well looking at the fact that it uses sprites and doesn't do much 3D it shouldn't be too much.

That is the most awesome picture of "Pikachu" I have ever seen.

Know whats odd, google cant bring up a good picture of ditto-pikachu. the only other one i found was a dvd cover i would've had to edit.

Honestly i would like it if they did have all Pokémon follow you and not just the starters. I probably go yellow version and wait until i caught a pikachu for it to follow me around but what I'm wondering is what about the giant Pokémon? the ones like wailord, groudon and kyogre, rayquaza, onix, etc. how would gamefreak pull that off? My assumption is that theres probably going to be a limit on what Pokémon can follow you.

Oh and the pikachu emotion thing in yellow version hope thats back too i liked it when pikachu was pissed at me.

how would gamefreak pull that off?

Torterra's pretty hefty, but in the Platinum bit where you can have one following you about it only takes up one tile. I think that'll be the case for most of the biggies here, but if not I could see them using the bigger tile they use for the Surfing blob.

Most games cards are under 100MB, but the DS supports up to 256MB cards. I think the biggest game made so far is Archaic Sealed Heat, which is about 2Gb. Keep in mind that there's a definite reason developers choose smaller sizes over bigger ones, probably development costs.

I think he fixed the e in Pokemon because the e with the dash above it comes out glitch on this forum. What is it with this 'fixed' craze the past few months? Every forum I go to people have this annoying habit of quoting people's posts and 'fixing' them, does it really matter as long as you know what they are saying wether its badly typed out or not? Some people have too much spare time on their hands.

Generally the "fixed" thing is when people actually quote and edit words to make them say something else. a typical example of "fixing" can be seen below:

360 sux.

Fixed.

I never actually see it used for grammar or spelling mistakes. Also I generally spell Pokémon properly, regardless of the fact most forums I go on have accent glitches.

Anyway, on topic -

I think the wind blowing through the grass is a cool little effect in D/P/Pt and these games. I'd love to see more touches like that added to these games.

Another reason I think Pokemon following you will be limited to the starters is because it wouldn't make sense for some water Pokemon to follow you on land. I wonder if the starter Pokemon will still follow you after evolving?

Water Pokémon just seem to float in the 3D Pokémon games, so I dunno if that'd be much of a problem xD although I still think it'll only be a very select few Pokémon, probably only starters too.

I don't always type the é because usually I don't feel like pressing Alt+130 to do so.

"Alt gr", should be on the right side of the keyboard O_O

EDIT: Right to the right side of the spacebar. On some keyboards it's just a second alt key.

Edited by SuperLink

Hey guize.

Since Ruby and Sapphire, they've had custom mini sprites for EVERY single Pokemon ever created. For example:

Pokesfullo.png

Who's to say that all of the Pokemon won't be able to follow you?

And don't use the "It'd be too much work to incorporate the sprites for every single Pokemon to follow you" excuse. because the common sense and proof I've just displayed totally debunks that.

And the mini sprites for all Pokemon had at least two frames, and to show a mini Pokemon walking behind you, just as the main character, would only require two frames.

Oh and, fuck size theory. Throw it out the window. After seeing Lance's Dragonite out in the open on the original Gold and Silver, and taking up one square:

Lance.png

This completely shits on any arguments saying that the size comparison wouldn't allow for all Pokemon to follow you in Heart Gold and Soul Silver, because as we all know, a Dragonites size compared to a human, is actually this:

IMG00062.jpg

-Iceman

Best post of the past few days, completely validating my hopes/assertions, so thank you Iceman. Even if your signature does creep me the hell out.

And the mini sprites for all Pokemon had at least two frames, and to show a mini Pokemon walking behind you, just as the main character, would only require two frames.

2 frames for 4 directions (only 3 of which count, one is just flipped). Those mini sprites there are a good example, but they're facing diagonally anyway so they'd have to make another set of 4 sprites with 2 frames.

493 (with variations) x4 = 1479.

1479 x 2 = 2958

2958+ extra frames of animation required! =o

This completely shits on any arguments saying that the size comparison wouldn't allow for all Pokemon to follow you in Heart Gold and Soul Silver, because as we all know, a Dragonites size compared to a human, is actually this:

They're actually a lot closer in size than people think. A better comparison would have been the single space Lugia and Ho-Oh seen in GSC. Of course, they're no longer single space as of FR/LG.

Edited by SuperLink

They're actually a lot closer in size than people think. A better comparison would have been the single space Lugia and Ho-Oh seen in GSC. Of course, they're no longer single space as of FR/LG.

Hes right. i hate to bring in the anime as an example but:

dragonite.jpg

The anime clearly stated him at 7 ft. for a normal dragonite (not counting 'nitezilla in the early episodes...fuck were they thinking?!) thats pretty close to a human size. besides:

giratinaow.png

that DOES NOT look like 1 space. but if they would allow us to have that following in HG/SS that would win. ah only a dream though...

Edited by goku262002

<post goes here>

Completely shits on? Geez, what an overused and disgusting phrase. The only REAL reason for not allowing Pokémon other than your starter (or a select few) to follow you is that there would probably be reason that the Pokémon is out of it's ball. The min sprite you mentioned though don't actually work out as they're not the same ones used in the overworld.

giratinaow.png

that DOES NOT look like 1 space. but if they would allow us to have that following in HG/SS that would win. ah only a dream though...

Perfectly possible hypothetical scenario:

Assuming the map sprites of Ho-Oh and Lugia are 4 spaces like they were in FR/LG...

-Get Ho-Oh traded to you

-Get it outside its Pokéball in its 1-space glory

-Go find your game's Ho-Oh at Tin Tower

-Lulz ensue as your Ho-Oh suffers from inferiority complex.

Well since you want to be all critical about size, let's use the most recent evidence.

Chiko.png

Of course, everyone recognizes what this is, a screencap of the games new footage. Chikorita following it's trainer. However, if you all want to harp on size so much, then look here.

There's obviously a fatal contradiction with this screenshot if you take size so seriously. If we're taking everything so literal, then:

Chiko2.png

Chikorita is almost the same size of the trainer. Which is a clear contradiction to it's recorded size in the pokedex, TV show, and everyone's eyesight pretty much. A Chikoritas real size is this:

IMG00095.jpg

So, looking back. What does this all mean?

It's simple.

Size does not matter. The Pokemon Company can fit any Pokemon to one square. They can fit Giratina, Wailord, Mew, Shamin, Chikorita, Lugia, Ho-Oh, whatever-the-fuck you name it, to one fucking square. So forget size.

And in terms of the mini sprites needing animations to walk in all directions. They can do it. They proved that with having mini sprites that move two frames in party view. So they most certainly can go the extra mile. Mind you, the mini sprites with two frames were unleashed on Ruby and Sapphire, which were for the Game Boy Advance.

We're in the new era of Nintendo DS baby. I'm sure they have a lot more space, resources, and potentials to make this happen, they already proved it with the Game Boy Advance.

-Iceman

OK, let's look at more evidence.

In all 3rd/4th gen games, tiny Pokémon, including Diglett, Jigglypuff, Pikachu, etc, all take up ONE space, regardless of how tiny they are, on their map sprites.

Huge Pokémon always take up multiple spaces.

The Pokémon Company do care, pretty obviously, otherwise they would have just kept Lugia and Ho-Oh to single space sprites in FR/LG, rather than making them HUUUGE.

It's perfectly possible that the DS has enough space for all of them, but do you honestly think the Pokémon Company will allow more than a few Pokémon to leave their balls? Seriously?

Calm down, Iceman. It's nothing too serious, eh?

I would like to point out another thing that actually came up in a Sonic topic a little while ago. The characters and owerworld are not proportionally scaled. They rarely are in top down down games. The houses in GSC can be as small as four four times the players sprite from outside but are far larger from the inside. Reason? Convenience. Simplictity. It Giratina was as large as it's supposed to be in the D/P/Pt overworld, then half of your time in the game would be spent walking from it's back to it's front.

EDIT: I expect only the starters to leave their balls, unless an Amity Sqaure equivalent is added wherein a few more will also have this privilege. Remeber that Torterra, who it the same size as Dragonite, leaves it's ball in Platinum. Only one tile in used, however the same that sprites are done in the 4th gen an extra tile can be used without being solid.

Edited by Blue Blood