Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

I don't get the complaints about the visuals either. Obviously the tech behind levels isn't going to rival that of say, Gears of War, but there's clearly a TON of imagination behind each and every level, and they all look great. Honestly, Generations is one of the prettiest games I've seen as of late, the levels are diverse with each holding a different trope (Even the supposed "rehash city stages" all look different in their own way), and it just looks like a lot of love went into each and every level in effort to make them all look unique and fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

Im wondering if GameInformer's review was made by the same person who previewed the game with his Classic Sonic centricism? Surprised I didn't read anything on Shitty Friends.

Also, am I the only one laughing at the user reviews rating the game before it came out? They might have gotten an early copy, but still...that 4 user review is laughable and I'm wondering if he or the one with a 10 actually played the game.

6.75? Are you ****ing kidding me?

GI has a 1000 point rating scale? How ****ing redundant.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/55954/sesslers-soapbox-i-hate-numbers/

Sessler is right, using number to express a level quality in works of creativity is deductive.

Actually its 40 points scale if they only count 0.25s

Edited by HUNTER297

Sigh....

Sonic on nintendo consoles have a better chance in rating due to the fact that there are not only different standards, but Nintendo exclussive reviews are not blind FPS fanboys that wont give anything that not a gritty shooter a chance. If this game out 5 years ago when the gaming public wasn't as retarded it would do much better honestly.

Anyway lets hope GI review is the last of the Bull Shit. It registered as a 68 on Meta...which isn't too troublesome. It think Worth Playing/1up/Joystiq will give it high scores too.

I don't know if is just me but I really want the 3DS version to score alot higher for someweird reason, mabye just to see everyone reactions

Game Informer's reviews are illegitimate.

Personally I do agree with this part

The last half of the game serves only to remind you of how far the series has fallen from its original form. I felt smothered by Sonic Team’s insistence on shoehorning recent Sonic games, no matter how awful, into the 20-year timeline. Why would Sega pass up full level tributes to Sonic 3 or Sonic CD in favor of a remixed version of a stage from Sonic Colors, which released only a year ago?

Having 1 stage per game was a choice, but they didn't have to make that choice with good reasons. Sonic 06 for instance could have best been forgotten if not only from a marketng point of view, since it almost killed off the franchise(allthough the outcome may not be bad from what i've heard), and unleashed being too recent resulting in a too far from unique experience in generations.(compared to other picks).

Replace that with a sonic 3 and sonic cd stage and we would have gotten something better. Yeah it's an old subject and I can't wait till the game comes out. I just felt like giving my 2 cents.

The score probably too low for my taste but they're gripes are maybe legitimate. I'll have to find out *shrugs*

Edited by Djawed

A 40 point grading system is still completely redundant.

I'm so tempted to email GI and ask them what the difference between a 6.50 and a 6.75 is? How can they justify this scale? Do they just pick the numbers on the right side of the decimal point out of their arse?

"Hey gameinformer, we need a Review of Sonic Generations. Are you going to be clear and concise about graphics and gameplay?"

"*pfffbth* lulz no, we're just gonna make an obligatory "Claysik Sawnich is teh sex, Mawdern Sawnich is teh sux" comment, and make one-off statements on the platforming and gameplay in a negative fashion and just not elaborate on it."

Literally what I got from that review.

Has this been posted yet? http://www.gamereactor.eu/reviews/9231/Sonic+Generations/

GR Sweden gave it 7/10

''The end result is a somewhat half-hearted celebration of Sonic's career. And perhaps that's just the kind of celebration he deserves. Part good, part bad. Ten good years and ten horrible ones. But most importantly I enjoyed playing it from start to finish. I still hope that this is the last we see of "Hedgehog Engine" and that Sonic Generations marks the end of that flawed perspective on what Sonic fans want. It's time to wipe the slate clean and begin a brand new story starring the world's fastest hedgehog.''

• Thumbs Up 1

Let me just say that the gripe from that review is full of crap. Sonic Team is celebrating all twenty years of Sonic from sonic 1 to Colors in one package. The 3-3-3 format is done to prevent a bias towards a specific era. Adding in Sonic 3 and Sonic CD and/or eliminating two or all the Modern Era games would've screamed a bias for the Classic Era/against the current one. A small time span between specific games makes no difference when it comes to celebrating Sonic's history equally as a whole.

Forgetting Sonic '06 makes no sense, either. Whether the game flopped or not, it's a main series game that's tied very closely to Sonic's fifteenth anniversary.

It wouldn't have mattered if they resulted in more visually apealing and sounding stages. It is now what it is but while I see u and many defending their aproach, i'm sure nobody would have neither complained if they did decide to leave out unleashed's and 06 stages. I'm sure everyone would have understood it instead of considering it as "bias"

Edited by Djawed

It wouldn't have mattered if they resulted in more visually apealing and sounding stages. It is now what it is but while I see u and many defending their aproach, i'm sure nobody would have neither complained if they did decide to leave out unleashed's and 06 stages. I'm sure everyone would have understanded it instead of considering it as "bias"

...Oh you can be sure that I would've complained if they were left out. :V

Not everyone in the entire fanbase thinks the same way about everything ya know.

• Thumbs Up 9

It wouldn't have mattered if they resulted in more visually apealing and sounding stages. It is now what it is but while I see u and many defending their aproach, i'm sure nobody would have neither complained if they did decide to leave out unleashed's and 06 stages. I'm sure everyone would have understood it instead of considering it as "bias"

YOUR OPINION =/= EVERYONE ELSES OPINION.

On topic:

Has this been posted yet? http://www.gamereact...ic+Generations/

GR Sweden gave it 7/10

''The end result is a somewhat half-hearted celebration of Sonic's career. And perhaps that's just the kind of celebration he deserves. Part good, part bad. Ten good years and ten horrible ones. But most importantly I enjoyed playing it from start to finish. I still hope that this is the last we see of "Hedgehog Engine" and that Sonic Generations marks the end of that flawed perspective on what Sonic fans want. It's time to wipe the slate clean and begin a brand new story starring the world's fastest hedgehog.''

This frankly sounds like the least biased review I've seen so far, or at least slightly better written.

Edited by Enigma2

I think the main problem here is people letting their biases go out of hand. That's essentially what the case appears to be for the person reviewing Generations for GI.

It's funny when you consider how they rated Unleashed's Daytime stages, thought Colors was at least decent, but then all of a sudden once they get Classic Sonic represented in this game, everything else is shit. Okay, I understand Crisis City reminds you of Sonic 06, what the hell does that have to do with how it plays in Generations?

That part was essentially, "Oh great, they put in levels from games I didn't like. Because of that this game is terrible once you get to them." I can understand having a preference and defending what you like or voicing what you don't like, but that was ridiculous.

Edit: Also, here's a user review bashing the game before it even comes out. It's funny when he even gets called out on it.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 5

...Oh you can be sure that I would've complained if they were left out. :V

Not everyone in the entire fanbase thinks the same way about everything ya know.

Obviously there would be people questioning it at first but getting over it once it sinked in. I'm sure there have been aspects about generations you had to question at first too?... or maybe not?

Personally from day one I didn't even expect them to celebrate the last 2 games at all. They just seemed to recent for me personally. 06 I didn't expect for obvious reasons(quoting from my previous post: "almost killing off the franchise".)

Edited by Djawed

With GI logic....that means that if lets say... the last 3 Modern Levels were replaced with 3 whatever-the-fuck classic stages, but equally as hard has the modern stages in Generations that they would have given it a better score...

That's a CROCK LOAD OF BULLSHIT! And should be illegitimate from a review standpoint. That is blatant fanboyism bias right there and should be left out from a professional opinion on the game and you know it.

Edited by V0YANT
  • Thumbs Up 3

With GI logic....that means that if lets say... the last 3 Modern Levels were replaced with 3 whatever-the-fuck classic stages, but equally as hard has the modern stages in Generations that they would have given it a better score...

That's a CROCK LOAD OF BULLSHIT! And should be illegitimate from a professorial review standpoint. That is blatant fanboyism bias right there and should be left out from an over professional opinion on the game you know it.

So you think that the level picks are not a legitimate aspect to acount in reviewing the game? I thought that was the main attraction of this game *shrugs*. Apart from that, visuals and sound are part of the experience of a game, especially in sonic generations case the throwbacks mean that they would base the leveldesign of the originals too. Edited by Djawed
  • Thumbs Up 1

Obviously there would be people questioning it at first but getting over it once it sinked in. I'm sure there have been aspects about generations you had to question at first too?... or maybe not?

Oh yeah, there's stuff I've questioned about the game, but hooo boy have I not gotten over them yet.

I'm sure there's people out there who wanna strangle me over bringing up the game's story tone and the fact that it has no main theme time and time again, and their right to wanna do so, but like, I can stay butthurt over some things for a long time.

but guyz you don't understand they like FPS,manly games and thus are above us, we shoudn't talk.

Edited by ChikaBoing
  • Thumbs Up 1

So you think that the level picks are not a legitimate aspect to acount in reviewing the game? I thought that was the main attraction of this game *shrugs*.

The levels should be judged by how they are played and their fun factor not how they are selected. How do you know that Crisis City and Rooftop Run may not be YOUR overall favorite levels in the game?

and if they indeed end up being your favorites then what?

Edited by V0YANT