Awoo.

Sonic's ideal characterization topic

Chaos Warp

Even though I just did in my previous post? And pointing this out right now as a result is me having to do it again?

That I had to do it twice and you still claim no wrongdoing convinces me you're just not going to see it (or at least claim to not see it, anyway). Whatever. I'm not really interested in continuing this discussion any further.

All you did was point out a bunch of blocks of text without any explanation on my transgressions. That is unsatisfactory.

Concession accepted lol

• Thumbs Up 1

I already stated that its understandable to want people to be respectful but when that is all you can say you are basicaly just whining and honestly nobody likes whiners either. If you wanted to point out 100rings tone than you should have done what omega kuzu did. first debate the actual topic and then comment on the attitude. this way you are actualy having a conversation, you just complaining about tone makes you a hypocrite since your own tone isnt likeable either at this point.

Nice one, talking about people being respectful and such but then calling me a whiner in the same post. Especially amusing considering that my "hypocritical" whining about tone was linked to the discussion of the topic because other people took issue on how 100Rings was explaining his posts...which was related to his tone.

But again like I said I'd prefer not to continue from this point forward.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice one, talking about people being respectful and such but then calling me a whiner in the same post. Especially amusing considering that my "hypocritical" whining about tone was linked to the discussion of the topic because other people took issue on how 100Rings was explaining his posts...which was related to his tone.

But again like I said I'd prefer not to continue from this point forward.

I didnt adress you personaly and just explained myself but if thats how you wanna look at it fine then let me ask you if you think your answer had a better tone than mine? I said that wanting people to be respectful is understandable in other words i am meeting you half way and then proceed to argue my point. now lets take a look at your answer. *Nice one, talking about people being respectful and such then calling me a whiner in the same post* your insulting me here my friend and i dont find that likeable since you could just have pointed me to thatlinked dicussion in a friendly manner.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I may slide on in to this discussion...

Okey dokey, the way I see it, I think Sonic’s characterization would benefit from being a blend (of sorts) of his characterizations done in Sonic Adventure, Sonic Unleashed, and Sonic Lost World

For starters, when he’s alone, he’d be like in Unleashed, being more on the… calm and reflective side. When amongst others, especially among his friends, he’d be more like in Colors and Lost World (to a degree). Being somewhat of a snarky jokester, he tries to lighten up the mood with his humor. It may not always be successful, but they’d know that he means well when he does it. However, when things get serious, he’d be like in Adventure, where he’s on top of the matter with little to no jokes uttered. Instead of just talking the walk, he’d also be “walking the walk,” doing his utmost to solve the problem as fast as possible. This focus on getting things done can make him act a bit reckless at times, however. Still, though, he’d never turn down the chance to help anyone in need; above all else, he values freedom and life, as judged by his own rules.

...And there’s a brief summary of how I think it could be done. Feel free to comment on it as you so choose. Just... keep the basics of proper netiquette in mind, yeah?

Man Komodin, it's almost like you read my frickin' mind without permission XD.

But seriously, I really do like your pitch on your ideal Sonic characterization. I like it when characters aren't on one end of the spectrum as far as personality traits go entirely, and having a huge range of emotions makes it much easier for people to relate or feel something for a character they're meant to root for.

I think they're all respectable portrayals that you mentioned in each game, honestly, but I can get down with how you see it, totally.

• Thumbs Up 3

If I may slide on in to this discussion...

Okey dokey, the way I see it, I think Sonic’s characterization would benefit from being a blend (of sorts) of his characterizations done in Sonic Adventure, Sonic Unleashed, and Sonic Lost World

For starters, when he’s alone, he’d be like in Unleashed, being more on the… calm and reflective side. When amongst others, especially among his friends, he’d be more like in Colors and Lost World (to a degree). Being somewhat of a snarky jokester, he tries to lighten up the mood with his humor. It may not always be successful, but they’d know that he means well when he does it. However, when things get serious, he’d be like in Adventure, where he’s on top of the matter with little to no jokes uttered. Instead of just talking the talk, he'd also be “walking the walk,” doing his utmost to solve the problem as fast as possible. This focus on getting things done can make him act a bit reckless at times, however. Still, though, he’d never turn down the chance to help anyone in need; above all else, he values freedom and life, as judged by his own rules.

...And there’s a brief summary of how I think it could be done. Feel free to comment on it as you so choose. Just... keep the basics of proper netiquette in mind, yeah?

Ok wow....you actually found a suitable spot in Sonic's personality from Lost World...

Well done! I can agree with this. It's natural to assume that Sonic would want to lighten a heavy mood with a joke or two since Sonic is inclined to the lighter side of things by nature Whether it works or not is something interesting to observe I think. All I would like to ask is make his jokes not "exclusively" snarky. He can do some ribbing because it's only some harmless fun between friends. Maybe calling Knuckles an " " for sitting up on Angle Island and taking his guarding duty a *bit* too seriously. I'll even go as far as to say Sonic should intentionally and even unintentionally antagonize some of his friends. Friends get on friend's nerves at one time or another. Just make sure Sonic's friends can take it and hold their own against Sonic's smart mouth as well. Maybe some pranks as well? Since sonic is more of a "Let me show you rather than tell you" type of guy, it makes sense for Sonic to "show" his humor rather than always saying it through clever quips. I would like to take it a step further and suggest sometimes Sonic and friends are just goofing off enjoying each other's company without making any jokes at anyone's expense. I always felt that Sonic would be the type to gather up the gang and star an impromptu chill-out session. That would be nice to see on screen. Even the SA games didn't show that too well. I guess SA1 did it to a degree...but I would like to see more. But the snide remarks made to the Deadly Stereotypes seemed mean spirited and perhaps even vain.(especially that one quip to Zeena.) That should just be off limits.

And finally than you for getting the discussion back on track. I wanted to but it seems some users were mad at my tone but never explicitly stated what exactly pissed them off. I'm glad it's productive once again. Thanks and you have a good idea of characterization!

• Thumbs Up 3

I still don't get how Sonic's comments to the Deadly Six are "mean spirited", they're trying to kill him :\

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 6

I still don't get how Sonic's comments to the Deadly Six are "mean spirited", they're trying to kill him :\

Well to me its because he is joking about their stereotypes, he tells the fat one to diet and excersize in way that is just mean. he was not worried, he just made fun of a fat person.

To the teacher someones gonna get taken to school alright, he is pretty much just saying that your not much of a teacher ( again this is mean ) to the pink one he is doing a fortwall breaking joke that implies that this guy needs to chill, again sonic is just making fun of their stereotype and since no d6 is nothing but this its just mean.

• Thumbs Up 2

And Sonic knew....without a Shadow of a doubt...they had absolutely no hope of doing so lol

Seems more like Sonic poking fun at their inadequacy than anything else. Sonic never really needed to make fun of Zomom's fatness at all even if "they were trying to kill him" xD

• Thumbs Up 1

Well to me its because he is joking about their stereotypes, he tells the fat one to diet and excersize in way that is just mean. he was not worried, he just made fun of a fat person.

Let's say a fat person is trying to fucking kill me and I'm someone that makes light of a situation through humor. Do I either  make a jibe and call something like I see it to slightly ease the tension, or think to myself, OH NO! I can't offend this threat that wants to eat me, how cruel is that?!

Are you people shitting me right now?

• Thumbs Up 1

To the teacher someones gonna get taken to school alright, he is pretty much just saying that your not much of a teacher ( again this is mean ) to the pink one he is doing a fortwall breaking joke that implies that this guy needs to chill, again sonic is just making fun of their stereotype and since no d6 is nothing but this its just mean.

So basically, Sonic makes fun of their characters therefore he is being a bully...

Once again, :\

So I guess we're just going to ignore the big fact that THEY ARE TRYING TO KILL HIM.

And Don't take this the wrong way, but are you quoting roger from Sonic dissected because you're parroting a lot of what he says.

And Sonic knew....without a Shadow of a doubt...they had absolutely no hope of doing so lol

Seems more like Sonic poking fun at their inadequacy than anything else. Sonic never really needed to make fun of Zomom's fatness at all even if "they were trying to kill him" xD

He makes fun of them because that's what he does, Sonic makes light of almost all of his foes. Why is now any different?

Or rather, why is Sonic making fun of the D6 "mean spirited", when he's been doing this as far back as SA1?

Like, it honestly feels like you're grasping at the smallest straws to support your argument.

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's say a fat person is trying to fucking kill me and I'm someone that makes light of a situation through humor. Do I either  make a jibe and call something like I see it to slightly ease the tension, or think to myself, OH NO! I can't offend this threat that wants to eat me, how cruel is that?!

Are you people shitting me right now?

Well to begin with sonic isnt acting like they are trying to kill him, if he makes a joke like this after he has handled the situation i would let it slide. sonic was in danger and acted like it then after its dealt with he gives a cocky oneliner as a sign of victory. its not the joke itself but the context of it-

• Thumbs Up 2

Being threatened with imminent, gruesome death is no excuse not to mind your Ps and Qs. Imagine if the Deadly Six, in the middle of skewering Sonic on a pike, were to hear Sonic calling them a bunch of poopyheads. It would utterly shatter them to the core, the sheer emotional wreck to outlast Sonic for decades upon decades to come, haunting them in their moments of peace for the rest of their days. Is that the kind of hero you pay $60 to follow?

Honestly, there's barbarism, and then there's just plain cruelty. For shame

• Thumbs Up 6

Well to begin with sonic isnt acting like they are trying to kill him, if he makes a joke like this after he has handled the situation i would let it slide. sonic was in danger and acted like it then after its dealt with he gives a cocky oneliner as a sign of victory. its not the joke itself but the context of it-

b-but this is the same person that has been known to wise crack in several situations like this. Adding to that, this is the same god damn character that has faced much worse than some fat fuck ogre of a character that can do no worse to him than Eggman, Perfect Chaos, Dark Gaia, etc.

How is this even considered a character assassination kvfjkg-ejg-ejgjwrkmmhG--BMBPMm

• Thumbs Up 1

b-but this is the same person that has been known to wise crack in several situations like this. Adding to that, this is the same god damn character that has faced much worse than some fat fuck ogre of a character that can do no worse to him than Eggman, Perfect Chaos, Dark Gaia.

How is this even considered a character assassination kvfjkg-ejg-ejgjwrkmmhG--BMBPMm

yes he is wisecracking but not to the degree that he ignores that he is in danger, when sonic saw chaos the first time in sa1 he didnt insult him right of the bat, it was after he won that he called him a big drip ( dont remember the actual word but you get it ). To joke like he does in slw when standing right next to the threat and not knowing what they are are capacle of is just weird and tells me that ah ok no threat here.

But the snide remarks made to the Deadly Stereotypes seemed mean spirited and perhaps even vain.(especially that one quip to Zeena.) That should just be off limits.

Well, let's be fair now: right from the get-go, all six of the Zetis were out to kill him. It's hardly the sort of situation where one would expect niceties to be exchanged.

In addition, let's put his quip to Zeena in context. That scene takes place after the cutscene where, following Zeena's first attempt on Sonic's life, Zavok and Zazz made clear their plans to turn the Earth and all of its inhabitants into dried-out, dead husks. Considering that Zeena is in on that plan, but was far more concerned about her nails than that she, along with her brothers (?), were about to commit an omnicide, I think Sonic is very much justified in being snarky towards her. It's not even that he was being all that insulting to her--he just poked fun at her skewed priorities and her sarcasm blindness.

yes he is wisecracking but not to the degree that he ignores that he is in danger, when sonic saw chaos the first time in sa1 he didnt insult him right of the bat, it was after he won that he called him a big drip ( dont remember the actual word but you get it ). To joke like he does in slw when standing right next to the threat and not knowing what they are are capacle of is just weird and tells me that ah ok no threat here.

Lawl, I don't think you seem to understand the fact that Sonic can tend to be a cocky guy sometimes. As I already stated, it's highly unlikely Zomom is much of a threat to him, hence the fact that he has nothing to worry about. It's not always bad to have a slight ego in these situations, dude.

Lawl, I don't think you seem to understand the fact that Sonic can tend to be a cocky guy sometimes. As I already stated, it's highly unlikely Zomom is much of a threat to him, hence the fact that he has nothing to worry about. It's not always bad to have a slight ego in these situations, dude.

if thats the case then we are back at where i started, sonic is just making fun of people based on their stereotypes. there is no layer to the jokes and he is basicaly making fun of weaker people.

• Thumbs Up 2

To add to this, it's not like Sonic's diss went unchallenged--Zomom not only called out Sonic's misuse of the "Two Words: Obvious Trope," but also socked him upside the head with his five-meter-long sandwich.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic is supposed to be a courageous, cocky, impulsive guy right? I'm surprised he wasn't taking shots at the bad guys much BEFORE now honestly. Him throwing out a crack or two at the villains that are screaming death threats at him every two minutes seems reasonable to me. If someone is dishing out insults at him, it would be in his nature to get a comeback or two in.

To add to this, it's not like Sonic's diss went unchallenged--Zomom not only called out Sonic's misuse of the "Two Words: Obvious Trope," but also socked him upside the head with his five-meter-long sandwich.

A slapstick that was kinda amusing cause honestly sonic deserved it.

Sonic is supposed to be a courageous, cocky, impulsive guy right? I'm surprised he wasn't taking shots at the bad guys much BEFORE now honestly. Him throwing out a crack or two at the villains that are screaming death threats at him every two minutes seems reasonable to me. If someone is dishing out insults at him, it would be in his nature to get a comeback or two in.

I dont agree with having sonic constantly making such remarks cause that would turn the story to almost colors levels where the plot is a comedy. Now i agree that if the opponent is saying something thats challenging sonic in any way that he should answer back but can you tell me what exactly the deadly six are saying that is worth sonics time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unless the Villains can show that they are an actual threat right from the start, there's not reason Sonic can't let out any sort of snark or cockiness at all before he beats them. It basically means that Sonic would pretty much have to treat any villain that he faces like they all = the same amount of threat factor and then wait for him to boast a one-liner at the end... That doesn't seem very interesting, since Sonic rarely one liners anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

So basically, Sonic makes fun of their characters therefore he is being a bully...

Once again, :\

So I guess we're just going to ignore the big fact that THEY ARE TRYING TO KILL HIM.

And Don't take this the wrong way, but are you quoting roger from Sonic dissected because you're parroting a lot of what he says.

He makes fun of them because that's what he does, Sonic makes light of almost all of his foes. Why is now any different?

Or rather, why is Sonic making fun of the D6 "mean spirited", when he's been doing this as far back as SA1?

Like, it honestly feels like you're grasping at the smallest straws to support your argument.

b-but this is the same person that has been known to wise crack in several situations like this. Adding to that, this is the same god damn character that has faced much worse than some fat fuck ogre of a character that can do no worse to him than Eggman, Perfect Chaos, Dark Gaia, etc.

Question: Aside from the big confrontation resulting from the kicked conch, when were any of the D6 members even remotely come close to killing Sonic?

Sonic making fun of a person because he's fat is immature and puerile. I know Sonic doesn't always act his age but for God's sake is it acceptable in today's society to walk up to someone who is sitting there eating a sandwich and burst out with a joke at their weight. No. That isn't even appealing as weight joke's are just insensitive. I don't know why I'm explaining why making fun of someone's weight isn't cool haha xDD

I know you might bring up SA1 where Sonic calls Eggman "a giant talking Egg."  Ok yeah weight joke. But it has context since Eggman and Sonic have some sort of weird "frienemy" thing going on so Sonic making fun of Eggman feels more natural since Sonic and Eggman have always hated/rivaled each other.

As for facing other threats like Dark Gaia. Yeah I know. But the thing is that Sonic took those situations far more seriously and didn't go out of his way to insult gigantic primordial creatures. Sonic has the capability to take his adversaries seriously and while I'm not saying Sonic should have taken those "ogres" as you put it (haha!) seriously.  Why should Sonic lower himself to such standards when he can handle things much worse? I don't see why Sonic's character needs to insult those that are obliviously and woefully incompetent. They couldn't even stop Tails from shooting at them...when they have control over machinery! I don't see why these character's were even threats to the Sonic and why Sonic needed to stoop to their stereotypical level. Now Sonic trading insults with someone who can actually match him would be a REAL battle! biggrin.png Sonic taking his usual cheap shots only to be greeted with something equally as stinging would catch Sonic off guard and perhaps even evoke a sense of fun since he has met a worthy challenge. Sonic picking at incompetent villains didn't come off as cocky and awesome to me. It lacked the depth to be interesting. 

• Thumbs Up 1