Awoo.

First look at Sky Sanctuary

speedfreak

Everyone's talking about the snowboading part in s3 as if that's exactly how it was going to turn out in generations. I can imagine a snowboard part being rather awesome if remastered in both 2d and 3d HD.

Edited by Jaouad
  • Thumbs Up 3

Everyone's talking about the snowboading part in s3 as if that's exactly how it was going to turn out in generations.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agreed, but the conversation involved explaining what made the level nostalgic in the first place, as well as how it compares to the more recent Cool Edge. It's not just been about how Ice Cap would turn out as a stage in Generations.

Edited by Lungo

Agreed, but the conversation involved explaining what made the level nostalgic in the first place, as well as how it compares to the more recent Cool Edge. It's not just been about how Ice Cap would turn out as a stage in Generations.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ice Cap is everything Cool Edge was, and more. Seriously.

Definitely. That pretty much sums up what I've been saying in this and the DLC topic. =]

Edited by Lungo

Well I still think Cool Edge was pretty great stage regardless. Screw what anyone else thinks. :DDDD

Yeah, good for me.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

Besides, if Ice Cap was included, Modern Sonic would be taking some cues from Cool Edge and Adventure's Ice Cap snowboarding section anyway. It's the same way how Classic Sonic is getting some Hydrocity/Labyrinth flavoring in Seaside Hill, except the ice level representation I mentioned is even less of a stretch.

So... speaking of mixing some level types:

Someone over at Retro posted a theory that Sky Sanctuary is more tannish-gray than yellow because it would look kind of like this:

Sonic_Advance_boss_mechaknux.png

...interesting idea. Though I think the faded yellow is because it's meant to make the place look old and abandoned, this explanation works, too. Apologies if this has been mentioned already, can't be arsed to dig through a quarter of a hundred pages.

Edited by Indigo Rush

I hope the bouncy clouds appear in SkyS (acronymwtf!!). Did the trailer show them? They were absolutely the best part of the zone.

cutefluffyclouds.png

I wonder how the modern music will be for Sky Sanctuary.

Uh, you can hear it in the trailer. All of the music accompanying the modern gameplay in the trailer has the modern music, and then the classic music for the classic gameplay. You should be able to hear that they're different.

Edited by Blue Blood

We had a new version of Ice Cap, it was in Sonic Adventure.

But that was over 10 years ago. (To be honest, I don't really care much for Ice Cap Zone, maybe it's because ice levels in general don't appeal to me)

We had a new version of Ice Cap, it was in Sonic Adventure.

We've had five new versions of Green Hill and two new versions of Seaside Hill. Your point. What is it?

• Thumbs Up 2

Things like that only remind me of why I hate ice levels.

That and, am I the only one who finds it hilariously backwards to whine about there not being an ice level rep and then expressing direct dislike of one of the fundamental characteristics of ICE!

That's like the equivalent of having a cake, eating it, and saying you're lactose intolerant immediately after.

Enough of that though, can we get back to Sky Sanctuary?

I'm loving that Death Egg, it just needs more guns. Like those giant lasers in All Stars Racing... makes me really wish they made it an all out stage, hanger, interior, core, etc. but I digress, HD render be legit regardless. I'm getting major Majora's Mask vibes out of dat grin.

Oh and holy sheet, Egg Robos have their own unique firing animation, did not expect S-Team to move away from the golden standard ball of slow. That makes me happy beyond belief, now I'll really get excited if they can aim with those bad boys in modern's version.

Edited by Autoburstfire

That and, am I the only one who finds it hilariously backwards to whine about there not being an ice level rep and then expressing direct dislike of one of the fundamental characteristics of ICE!
What?

Things like that only remind me of why I hate ice levels.

That's like the equivalent of having a cake, eating it, and saying you're lactose intolerant immediately after.

You're talking about me. When I say I want an Ice level, I don't want one so I can slip around, I want one because I like how they look. That's all.

Er, it wasn't just you for the record however. If I single someone out I normally let them know so, I'm all about my code of assholery now. At any rate, I mean't no direct offense by it, but it still makes no sense to me. I tend to dislike the presence of something with a feature or aspect I dislike. *shrug*

What?

Eto... nandesuka? wakarimasen.

You're talking about me. When I say I want an Ice level, I don't want one so I can slip around, I want one because I like how they look. That's all.

Yeah, but that ultimately removes any uniqueness you could get out of an ice-stage, other than the fact that it looks pretty.

Fact is, without the ice having a gimmick attached to it, such as slippery surfaces etc. it is just a texture placed over a level. That texture could easily be replaced with a rock texture, to turn the stage from Ice-Zone to Mountain-Zone.

Yeah, but that ultimately removes any uniqueness you could get out of an ice-stage, other than the fact that it looks pretty.

Fact is, without the ice having a gimmick attached to it, such as slippery surfaces etc. it is just a texture placed over a level. That texture could easily be replaced with a rock texture, to turn the stage from Ice-Zone to Mountain-Zone.

And I'd be ok with that? Ice Cap didn't have slippery surfaces and it was fine.

Also, why did Werehog slip? He had spikey shoes! D:

• Thumbs Up 2

Still "BAAWWW NO Ice Cap" bitching?

It had stopped. You brought it up again.

Avalanches, freezing traps, frozen items and entrances, snowboarding, balancing on snow balls/boulders, falling icicles etc. There are plenty of things to get creative with. Besides it's not like every feature has to inspired by the location itself. The corkscrews in Emerald Hill and those checkered spheres in Oil Ocean aren't exactly typical features of their respective tropes. Ice Cap itself had those swinging and bouncing platforms. Why must it be so restrictive?