Awoo.

First look at Sky Sanctuary

speedfreak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEABevfCKlI&feature=feedu

Thanks Woun! In this interview, Takeshi Iizuka says that the way they chose the levels was by a survey with the Sega employees, they didn't choose the most popular levels, but they chose the top ranked levels.

I heard a remix of Live and Learn playing in the background of that interview... sounded like the same mix that was used in the "Through the Years" video. I wonder if a remix of that will be the game's vocal theme? Also, there will be bits where you'll play as both Sonics? Hmm....

Edited by Classic EXshad

Mushroom Hill's inclusion was a huge dissapointment. It's horrible that MH got in over iconic stages like Ice Cap, Hydrocity, Flying Battery, and Lave Reef. Never mind the fact that it's another 'Green' and first stage .

Mushroom Hill is so far the only stage I got a problem with. The only plausible reason I can come with of why it made the cut was probably because Sega had a knee jerk reaction to seeing that fan made 3D mushroom hill.

Oh and to add to the disappointment, a remix for tropical resort was heard. Meaning that it could represent colors in the 3rd version. -_-

Which Ice Cap?

I would prefer the adventure one. Since story wise it's ice cap from s3 classic sonic could have it looking similar to that. While modern could have a modern take on his ice cap from sa1.

But this should go in the what levels you want topic since i don't want the topic to go off topic.tongue.png

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

Which Ice Cap?

This Ice Cap

ice1000.jpg

Back to Sky Sanctuary- visually it's wonderful. But it doesn't look like Sky Sanctuary. Without the iconic yellow stone, green towers and blue and purple pillars it's more like an entirely new stage of the same tope. A little disappointing, but still, very, very pretty. The glass floors are an especially nice idea.

• Thumbs Up 6

I heard a remix of Live and Learn playing in the background of that interview... sounded like the same mix that was used in the "Through the Years" video. I wonder if a remix of that will be the game's vocal theme? Also, there will be bits where you'll play as both Sonics? Hmm....

That would be pretty awesome (though while I know it won't happen, if "Tenderoni" from the trailers was the game's theme I would actually be pretty happy.) Maybe they could play different parts of different songs and make the ultimate compilation song. :P

The Ice Cap from Sonic 3, you know, the one that everyone wants more representation from.

But the adventure one is the same ice cap from sonic 3. just re-imagined. You'd get the best of both worlds in ice caps case. You'd get classic ice cap for classic sonic. and something for modern(which i assume will be sa1 remade ice cap).You could consider it from either game.

On topic Yeah sky sanctuary looks different but I'm fine with it. it's still beautiful! All though this kind of design would have made Kingdom valley look amazing!biggrin.png

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

But the adventure one is the same ice cap from sonic 3. just re-imagined. You'd get the best of both worlds in ice caps case. You'd get classic ice cap for classic sonic. and something for modern(which i assume will be sa1 remade ice cap).You could consider it from either game.

The music, dude.

The music.

well...I guess they could go vise versa on my idea and use the sonic 3 one. Wouldn't really make a huge difference.

Maybe they'll have it as a DLC ice pack of Ice Cap Zone (S3), Ice Cap Zone (SA1) and Holoska (SU.) That would be freaking awesome if they did it, particularly since Ice Cap Zone was one of my favorite levels from Sonic 3, and Holoska one of my favorite UnWiished levels.

Damn dirty ice levels all look the same to me.

/racism against ice levels.

Honestly, Idon't

The music, dude.

The music.

Touche.

Oh topic though, am I really the only one who doesn't give a armpit about the colour issues? Yeah, it's different, but I honestly always found the original greenish yellow a bit off putting myself. My only complaint is it looks too good for ruins, of course we've yet to see it all. Even what little of the Death Egg I've seen is stunning, screw any misconceived misgivings about it's color or size, I noticed it immediately(dat mustache). Besides, we've never gotten a reputable 3-d render or concept art of it so most fans left it's appearance up to their own perception(and most instances were it was seen was when it's shadow made it look like a darker shade of metal, save for Sonic 3 where it just looked really dark regardless. Honestly though, I got used to it after a few seconds. It's good to know what it would be in 3-D and I'm pleased with it. It's a shame that it isn't an actual stage.

• Thumbs Up 1

The music, dude.

The music.

At the SEGA Offices right now:

Employee 1: Fans want more Classic levels, but we have to do one zone per era for DLC....they're gonna be pissed

Employee 2: Okay...well let's do Hydrocity from Sonic 3 and Ice Cap, but say its the one from the Adventure Era!

Employee 1: But the music...

Employee 2: We use the Genesis music! You really think the fans are going to complain?

• Thumbs Up 2

*Can't even remember what Adventure's Ice Cap sounded like

I can't hear the original Ice Cap without hearing Jack Black shouting "OCTAGON" from the back of my head. Damn you, Youtube.

But I think that would raise a problem. When you say "Ice Cap", I think most people think "Sonic 3". If we got the Adventure version (which, like you, I have no idea what that even sounded like), you'd have a remixed rock version of that Adventure song, and a Genesis sounding version of it as well. I think what makes people enjoy Ice Cap (from Sonic 3) is the accompanying music. Unless they were to remix the Adventure song to have Classic elements or riffs, then I think it'd be necessary to have the Sonic 3 version.

But on topic: I love Sky Sanctuary, both the original and this new imagining. I think it captures the essence of the original 16-bit level (bouncy clouds, hovering pillars, fountains, etc.) and added the not too over the top realism that the past modern games have been going for. Yeah, things were more yellow in 1994, but they also had constraints with what they could convey in a sprite. I think this is a great representation, and I look forward to playing though it.

Edited by Solofiveo

The Adventure version had 3 different tracks: "Snowy Mountain," "Limestone Cave," and "Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy."

The song to pick would probably be the last one, since its an actual upbeat tune while the others are background ambiance. Really, though, the version from Sonic 3 sticks out as the best.

I'd say Ice Cap for Classic Era, Egg Fleet/Final Fortress for Adventure Era, and Sand Oasis for the Modern Era. (I choose Sand Oasis since Secret Rings was represented in the retrospective video, and we could use a desert level, too)

Edited by Indigo Rush

Am I the only person who honestly doesn't see what's so great about Sonic 3's Ice Cap? I'm talking both the music and the stage itself. It's.. boring, honestly.

The Adventure version was a hell of a lot more interesting to play and while Sonic 3 Ice Cap's theme isn't bad by any means, it hardly holds up to most of the other themes in the game.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 4

Am I the only person who honestly doesn't see what's so great about Sonic 3's Ice Cap? I'm talking both the music and the stage itself. It's.. boring, honestly.

The Adventure version was a hell of a lot more interesting to play and while Sonic 3 Ice Cap's theme isn't bad by any means, it hardly holds up to most of the other themes in the game.

Well, I guess this is where it comes down to personal opinion. A vast majority of people inside and outside of the fanbase absolutely LOVE Sonic 3's Ice Cap Zone. There's nothing wrong with not liking it, though.

Edited by Indigo Rush

In general I'm a believer that when it comes to Sonic 3 and Knuckles, the Sonic and Knuckles portion is the better half of the game anyway, so that in turn affects my judgement in regards to Sonic 3 stages.

Regardless of that tho', I really find Angel Island, Hydrocity and Carnival Night to be far more interesting stages. If I had to choose between Sonic 3's Ice Cap and Hydrocity I would choose Hydrocity every time.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 3

If I had to choose between Sonic 3's Ice Cap and Hydrocity I would choose Hydrocity every time.

For representation in Sonic Generations, or for your own personal favorite? Hydrocity might not be a good choice for the former, since we're getting some underwater action already with Seaside Hill and Chemical Plant.

(don't get me wrong, I love Hydrocity too)

At the age of 7, Bombing the hill on the snowboard to the awesome Ice Cap music after spending what felt as a lifetime at the barrel + annoying circusmusic was among the coolest things ever, with Sonic 3 being one of the hottest games on the market. Seeing Sonic land on a snowboard, just flying down the mountain and hearing the music...it was just...AMAZING. Belive me.

So yeah. That's why i love ice cap. And i know alot of people feel the same.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic 3 Ice cap shits all over Adventures Ice cap in almost every way possible. Well except for that snowboarding part. That was and always will be something I'll never forget. Wait why are we talking about Ice cap in a Sky Sanctuary topic?

Aside from the snowboarding part, I found Ice Cap Zone to be rather bland and uninteresting. There was no slippery ice-physics. There wasn't much interesting platforming. I dunno, I just found it boring.

Its funny though, how people found the initial snowboarding section so memorable and captivating, even though it was playing itself.

• Thumbs Up 2