Awoo.

First look at Sky Sanctuary

speedfreak

Ice Cap stands out not only because it's the first traditional snow level in a Sonic game, but it opens up with a pretty unforgettable snowboard section and actually features 3 environments in one: an alpine mountain (snowboard part) a blue cave with glowing crystal structures, and an oceanside arctic setting with icebergs in the distance. That's like, Ice Cap from Sonic Adventure and Cool Edge already combined into one level, only in 1994. And that music is probably the crowning jewel in all of Sonic 3, if the opinions of many are to be accounted for.

Okay, I can understand everything else, but I never saw what was so special about the boarding section?

I mean, it was you going down on a snowboard through a trail of snow, which you couldn't control. So it was all visual!

Even the sled in Cool Edge had moments where you could slip and slide around like a maniac and control the sled itself, the same with Adventure's Boarding section.

Personally, I see Cool Edge as the best Ice Stage. I'll delve deeper into that later, though. :V

The snowboarding section is pretty much the most memorable bit of Sonic 3 because it was the first level in any Sonic game to open up like that, and any other ice level that followed Sonic 3 couldn't really top the initial wow factor that it carried back in the early 90s. Ice Cap from Adventure was great too, but that's mostly because you were outboarding (?) an avalance, in THREE DEEE!!!

Sssssssooooo what it amounts to is Ice Cap being the first boarding section in a Sonic game ever, pretty much. It's a matter of doing something unexpected. That's why that boarding section was special. Chooch went on how Sky Sanctuary was so epic, I should be able to explain how Ice Cap was so cool and extreme.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 1

You're only using that stage intro to support S3 Ice Cap.

Uhm... no I'm not.

Ice Cap stands out not only because it's the first traditional snow level in a Sonic game, but it opens up with a pretty unforgettable snowboard section and actually features 3 environments in one: an alpine mountain (snowboard part) a blue cave with glowing crystal structures, and an oceanside arctic setting with icebergs in the distance. That's like, Ice Cap from Sonic Adventure and Cool Edge already combined into one level, only in 1994. And that music is probably the crowning jewel in all of Sonic 3, if the opinions of many are to be accounted for.

Let me add a few more points: the super-fast slippery slopes, the platforms that depend on your build momentum to help you ascend up the level, and the falling icicles to platform on were pretty cool too, that and the freezing hazards were a nice touch. There's even some water to look out for, too.

(We really ought to start a topic for this if we want to continue this discussion)

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 2

Generations is doing two things: Remaking memorable levels, yet adding new things to the architecture and level design. If only on the basis of its BGM and opening sequence, Ice Cap is inarguably one of the most memorable stages in Sonic's history. Had it been added, Sega would've undoubtedly punched up its design elements by allowing the player to approach memorable obstacles from another angle and add new areas to run through altogether. I really don't see the issue here.

• Thumbs Up 3

Generations is doing two things: Remaking memorable levels, yet adding new things to the architecture and level design. If only on the basis of its BGM and opening sequence, Ice Cap is inarguably one of the most memorable stages in Sonic's history. Had it been added, Sega would've undoubtedly punched up its design elements by allowing the player to approach memorable obstacles from another angle and add new areas to run through altogether. I really don't see the issue here.

WHY DO I ALWAYS AGREE WITH YOU?!

• Thumbs Up 2

So umm, what are we talking about now, cause the Generations levels picked weren't based on BGM and Opening Sequence.

So umm, what are we talking about now, cause the Generations levels picked weren't based on BGM and Opening Sequence.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Team would've probably had hell making a more memorable BGM for the Ice Cap...that's probably why they didn't add it in. :P

No but seriously, Ice Cap's BGM kicks ass. The level itself wasn't entirely too special, but it was really beautiful. If only it wasn't a pain in the ass for me when I was 9. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh ok, I get half of it. But I'm saying from where I look at it S3 Ice Cap isn't all that special or different from the other Sonic ice stages. I would've thought Angel Island to be the most popular stage in Sonic 3, but that'd be another "Hill/Grassy" stage that people wouldn't like.

Everyone knows Marble Garden Zone is the best stage in Sonic 3

░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░

░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄░░░░

░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█░░░

░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░█░░

░▄▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░░█░

█░▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒░█

█░▒█░█▀▄▄░░░░░█▀░░░░▀▄░░▄▀▀▀▄▒█

░█░▀▄░█▄░█▀▄▄░▀░▀▀░▄▄▀░░░░█░░█░

░░█░░░▀▄▀█▄▄░█▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀█▀██░█░░

░░░█░░░░██░░▀█▄▄▄█▄▄█▄████░█░░░

░░░░█░░░░▀▀▄░█░░░█░█▀██████░█░░

░░░░░▀▄░░░░░▀▀▄▄▄█▄█▄█▄█▄▀░░█░░

░░░░░░░▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░█░

░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░█░

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░█░░

• Thumbs Up 3

Everyone knows Marble Garden Zone is the best stage in Sonic 3

░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░

░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄░░░░

░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█░░░

░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░█░░

░▄▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░░█░

█░▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒░█

█░▒█░█▀▄▄░░░░░█▀░░░░▀▄░░▄▀▀▀▄▒█

░█░▀▄░█▄░█▀▄▄░▀░▀▀░▄▄▀░░░░█░░█░

░░█░░░▀▄▀█▄▄░█▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀█▀██░█░░

░░░█░░░░██░░▀█▄▄▄█▄▄█▄████░█░░░

░░░░█░░░░▀▀▄░█░░░█░█▀██████░█░░

░░░░░▀▄░░░░░▀▀▄▄▄█▄█▄█▄█▄▀░░█░░

░░░░░░░▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░█░

░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░█░

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░█░░

Edited by Vec

Cheers Vec happy.png

Haha but being serious now, I don't care what stage we get for Sonic 3, I'd just like a stage to actually be in Generations. Although there's a bit of Hydrocity in classic Seaside Hill and maybe Lava Reef in

Crisis City

Edited by Ananze

You watch, next trailer we'll see confirmed classic versions of Knuckles and Team Chaotix (minus Mighty T_T). Okay, maybe not, but even though Knux Chaotix is non-cannon, they are still technically "younger forms," chronologically speaking. If in the off-chance the classic Chaotix models did make an appearance, I would be one happy Chaotix fan.

Ice Cap left a very strong nostalgic impression.

And at the end of the day, this is exactly why Green Hill and Chemical Plant were chosen.

Sky Sanctuary? Lemme just quote this because I'm lazy:

..Why do we want Ice Cap again? This is just three of the stages that I think are more interesting choices.

It's funny that you say Ice Cap is so bland while Sky Sanctuary's so amazing, given that there is very little to the latter in its original state. People are asking why the snowboarding is so memorable when you take no part in it, yet the majority of Sky Sanctuary that you describe in your quote is pretty much cutscene material. Aside from the battles with Mecha Sonic, which I severely doubt made it into Generations, there was little else going on in the level. It's obviously had a serious overhaul, most likely implementing elements from other levels from Sonic's history. If the introduction to and the overall aesthetic of Ice Cap made such an impression, as Sky Sanctuary clearly did for you, why shouldn't Ice Cap also get the same treatment?

Many people have pointed out just why they would like to see Ice Cap get the HD treatment in this thread. There's not much point in repeating what others or I have already said, but as Indigo Rush pointed out: it's easily worthy of a place in Generations when you consider the massive amount of nostalgia people have for it.

Edited by Lungo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Its funny though, how people found the initial snowboarding section so memorable and captivating, even though it was playing itself.

And to think that we modern fans get our heads torn off for liking Unleashed's flashy stuff. ph34r.png

inb4 death

• Thumbs Up 1

About ice levels: Since when is have slippy floors a good thing? :-/

And Ice Cap is definitely better than Cool Edge. No crappy bobsled parts =D

• Thumbs Up 1

About ice levels: Since when is have slippy floors a good thing? :-/

Since ice was slippery. Also, no one gets on Mario when he has slippery floors in Ice levels..

And Ice Cap is definitely better than Cool Edge. No crappy bobsled parts =D

Yeah, it's just got 1 short zigzagging snowboarding part at the start yay. Atleast the bobsled had you doing more, hitting enemies and such.

Since ice was slippery. Also, no one gets on Mario when he has slippery floors in Ice levels..

I think it's annoying in any game. Mario, too.

Yeah, it's just got 1 short zigzagging snowboarding part at the start yay. Atleast the bobsled had you doing more, hitting enemies and such.

Atleast the snowboard part isn't horrible.

Edited by MarcelloF

I do. It was awful in New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

It was short and therefore didn't overstay its welcome and detract from the core experience. The controls also made the 3D bobsledding sections a real chore to play.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Edited by Lungo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Atleast the snowboard part isn't horrible.

I think that's subjective but look at it this way, if it was completely scripted like the snowboarding part where you couldn't do anything, people would still complain about it either way just for existing so it's a lose-lose type thing.

I do. It was awful in New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Confound those physics police- how dare they make Ice slippery. D:

It was short and therefore didn't overstay its welcome and detract from the core experience. The controls also made the 3D bobsledding sections a real chore to play.

So you'd rather have a 2 minute level of boost hallways and water running? I thought it broke up the pace and added padding to the level rather well. And controls? *Sigh* Maybe they should've just made the whole thing short and scripted after all..

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 3