Awoo.

Sonic is a boring character

Chaos Nightmare Moon

He's just to optimistic, lighthearted and ignorant for me, it's sad that Sega won't give him more than 2 emotions every game(Happy and Action). Sonic can never be anything but a silly, empty, children's character. Yes I aware he's shown rare instances of sadness and rage, but it's as subtle as a white hair on a grey hound.

Maybe because Sonic is the star of a silly and fun video game series? Do you want Sonic to start having cutscenes of him crying and feeling a soar of depression crawl over him? I sure hope not. Besides, if that were to happen, something would have to cause it....Like a character being hurt or dying....so no thank you.

Meaning that his character is stuck in status quo mode, and can't behave out of his normal childish teenage persona. I honestly don't know why main protagonists like that exist, especially japanese shonen heroes. Are the authors afraid to touch on the reality of life through the characters they created as the main role, I guess it's a idealistic moral thing. But I like my heroes with flaws and real life scenarios that mimic ours like Spider-Man or Batman or Naruto.

Something to keep in mind: I don't watch much Naruto, but I am a huge fan of both Spidey and Bats. And I can say this much: Spiderman acts like a goofball when in costume. Following the same personality you describe Sonic with. Bats acts all dark and mysterious all the time as The Batman, so same concept, different personality. What I'm getting at is that 99.9% of their "emotional" troubles take place as the REAL people they are. Batman not as much as Spidey, but it still applies regardless. With that said, Sonic is not a super hero with a double identity. He's one character. He IS that hero. Not a regular guy by day, Hero by night. So he keeps with that heroic and comedic side all the time. Makes sense when you think about it.

But on the topic, Sonic is kinda bland and Sega won't expand on his character to a more relateable level. He's the colorful mascot who bounces around without meaning or purpose; just pretty lights and loud noises.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Responses in bold.

• Thumbs Up 2

It seems that some people in this thread feel that Sonic shouldn't have any angst because the franchise is not of the kind where such a character would fit (due to reasons such as that the series is aimed at children and/or since it's about cartoon animals). But remember that the series does feature several characters with various amounts of angsty or other negative feelings; for instance Blaze is (at least was in her first apperance) torn between her sense of duty and her truer feelings that longs for friendship, Omega is pretty much driven almost purely by rage, Merlina was obviously sad and battled with existentiall questions, Shadow used to be... well, lets just say he was anything but emotionally healthy.

My point is that since the series features several angsty characters anyway, the "an angsty character character couldn't/shoudln't exist in the Sonic franchise" isn't a good argument... unless of course one also believes that all of these already-existing angsty characters doesn't fit with the series either and shoud never have started "angsting" in the first place (which i feel is an understandable position, even if i dont completely agree with it).

And just for the record, you can count me to the people who prefer Sonic being happy-go-lucky and 100% angst-free.

Edited by batson

It seems that some people in this thread feel that Sonic shouldn't have any angst because the franchise is not of the kind where such a character would fit (due to reasons such as that the series is aimed at children and/or since it's about cartoon animals). But remember that the series does feature several characters with various amounts of angsty or other negative feelings; for instance Blaze is (at least was in her first apperance) torn between her sense of duty and her truer feelings that longs for friendship, Omega is pretty much driven almost purely by rage, Merlina was obviously sad and battled with existentiall questions, Shadow used to be... well, lets just say he was anything but emotionally healthy.

My point is that since the series features several angsty characters anyway, the "an angsty character character couldn't/shoudln't exist in the Sonic franchise" isn't a good argument... unless of course one also believes that all of these already-existing angsty characters doesn't fit with the series either and shoud never have started "angsting" in the first place (which i feel is an understandable position, even if i dont completely agree with it).

And just for the record, you can count me to the people who prefer Sonic being happy-go-lucky and 100% angst-free.

There is a difference between a character breaking down crying and having deep looks into his life, and a cartoon hedgehog saying "Damn!" (which was too far as well BTW).

*headdesk* you say sonic is such a boring character. Then you go right around and say you like "happy heroes" and then try to compare sonic to Adventure Time? You haven't played that many sonic games have you?

There is a difference between a character breaking down crying and having deep looks into his life, and a cartoon hedgehog saying "Damn!" (which was too far as well BTW).

Um, i dont believe i said anything about... that. All i said was that the series features characters with lots of angsty emotions, so saying that Sonic himself should remain completely non-angsty because an angsty character "doesn't fit" in the series is pretty hypocritical unless you also believe that all of those already-angsty characters should loose their angsty traits. Which, like i said, is a perfectly understandable position.

Just so there are no misunderstandings, im not saying that there aren't any arguments for why Sonic should continue to be completely angst-free. Im only directing criticism at one particular such argument which doesn't hold up.

I however feel that one valid argument that the main character in specific should be mostly free of angst in a silly/cartoony/lighthearted series such as this, even if he is surounded by angsty supporting cast members, is due to the fact that the personality of the main character obviously does more to determine the mood of the series as a whole than the personalities of minor characters.

Edited by batson

Here's my thoughts.

Personality

Personality doesn't make up who you are. There is no "personality gland" in your brain, it is all cognitive to your interactions with other people. I could act like a dick-faced blunt and that would be my personality in front of whoever I was acting this way. It's our choices, not our personalities, that make us who we are.

The same should go for Sonic.

Who is Sonic? He chose to fight against evil literally 30 times. He chose to save his friends and the universe and occasionally cosmic eternity on more than one occasion.

Backstory

Why does he need a reason to fight Eggman? Okay, want a reason? He's fucking evil.

Backstories in Sonic only confuse the hell out of people.

He was a brown hedgehog who worked for Doctor Kintobor but the Doc went mad and captured animals and turned Sonic blue and he lives on Mobius and Planet Freedom and Earth and he's a freedom fighter and he is a prince and he has two siblings that fight evil with the superpower of music

Having a motive doesn't give the character layers, it just gives the writers of Naruto an excuse to further stall the closure that would inevitably end the series.

On Gilligan's Island, the professor can make these intricate devices...but not a raft.

Because then, the show would end.

Sonic is fast, and taking thirty minutes time for whining about dead relatives exposition would drastically break the pace.

Um, i dont believe i said anything about... that. All i said was that the series features characters with lots of angsty emotions, so saying that Sonic himself should remain completely non-angsty because an angsty character "doesn't fit" in the series is pretty hypocritical unless you also believe that all of those already-angsty characters should loose their angsty traits. Which, like i said, is a perfectly understandable position.

Just so there are no misunderstandings, im not saying that there aren't any arguments for why Sonic should continue to be completely angst-free. Im only directing criticism at one particular such argument which doesn't hold up.

I however feel that one valid argument that the main character in specific should be mostly free of angst in a silly/cartoony/lighthearted series such as this, even if he is surounded by angsty supporting cast members, is due to the fact that the personality of the main character obviously does more to determine the mood of the series as a whole than the personalities of minor characters.

I'm not even sure that's the problem or the point considering how flip-flopish the OP is, although I can easily see how people here have been assuming it.

But what's worse? The OP makes direct references to other happy-go-lucky series and has the nerve to claim that the character goes through a rough time with one of those being that he's the only person of his kind in his series and calls that "development". You honestly couldn't be anymore hypocritical with that kind of comparison to the Sonic series, which is a lot heavier on drama than a series like Adventure Time which is made to be downright silly. The Adventures, and (however bad they were) ShTh and Sonic 06 more than highlight that. And even Unleashed had some somber moments despite not reaching levels of angst. The only game that could be used would be Colors, and that's just one over the several others that precede it.

Any further than that, and I'd say that the OP has been trying to troll us.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Personality

Personality doesn't make up who you are. There is no "personality gland" in your brain, it is all cognitive to your interactions with other people. I could act like a dick-faced blunt and that would be my personality in front of whoever I was acting this way. It's our choices, not our personalities, that make us who we are.

...what?

Backstories in Sonic only confuse the hell out of people.
Either people are dumb or the backstories are shit; that doesn't mean he shouldn't have one.

Having a motive doesn't give the character layers,
It's one element that can be used to, tho'.

...what?

Either people are dumb or the backstories are shit; that doesn't mean he shouldn't have one.

It's one element that can be used to, tho'.

+1 to Indigo for referencing C:M and therefore the truth :D

Like I said, Sonic is a character with many facets and has incredibly complex characterization. You have to look for it and I personally recommend the Storybook games for the 'deeper' aspects of Sonic's character such as contemplation of emotional states, realization of mortality, ethical purity, a guy so apparently content with life that wishes for only simple and/or required things is all he needs to be satiated and dedication to following his heart.

I really really don't see how Sonic, at the end of the day, can be labelled as being 'bland', 'boring' etc. I consider him to be so fascinating and such that he's like a gift of a character regarding how he can be interpreted and the depth of his character.

• Thumbs Up 3

Concept: Mobius' description of all that is really great. I should go back to reading up on all the character profiles, there.

When was last time they updated?

When was last time they updated?

It says when each profile was last updated in them. We don't update until it is necessary i.e Upon the release of new games that demand changes in VA's, cameos, moves, likes, dislikes etc. Some profiles may be slightly outdated regarding GAME INFORMATION on the profiles but we'll get 'round to that soon enough. They're all still as true and authentic as ever, dabbling in the REAL facts.

...I should know, I greatly contributed to them.

Concept: Mobius' description of all that is really great. I should go back to reading up on all the character profiles, there.

You should. There is a lot of really good material discussing the Sonic characters.

And the webmaster, Ryan the Game Master, made great topics dealing with their psyche. I hope he'll get the chance to return someday like Professor J.

sad.png

That said, Chaos and Chaosish, I really doubt you paid ANY attention to the series based on your poorly thought-out, lazy opinions of Sonic. He's actually a really grand character in the series, not boring like you claim him to be, and you have to look at the nuances whenever you decide to get out of your close-minded shell and give him a chance. Stories like Sonic & the Black Knight and Unleashed HD brought out really good, well-executed characterization of him. From his cockiness to his impatience to how laid back he can be to his determination to his pride. Heck, we even see his shame following:

a. Amy hugging him and took off after she thought it wasn't him;

b. Sonic's quip of Caliburn as "sorry-looking" and getting both ridiculed and embarrassed for it.

Like Verte said, he's an absolutely complex character and is endearing simply because there are multiple layers inside him. He's not just "happy," "action," and "too nice," like you believe. Sonic's blue is his external shell; his heart is gold; and his personality is shades of gray. He's been that way whether you two like it or not.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 3

He's just to optimistic, lighthearted and ignorant for me, it's sad that Sega won't give him more than 2 emotions every game(Happy and Action). Sonic can never be anything but a silly, empty, children's character. Yes I aware he's shown rare instances of sadness and rage, but it's as subtle as a white hair on a grey hound. Meaning that his character is stuck in status quo mode, and can't behave out of his normal childish teenage persona. I honestly don't know why main protagonists like that exist, especially japanese shonen heroes. Are the authors afraid to touch on the reality of life through the characters they created as the main role, I guess it's a idealistic moral thing. But I like my heroes with flaws and real life scenarios that mimic ours like Spider-Man or Batman or Naruto.

But on the topic, Sonic is kinda bland and Sega won't expand on his character to a more relateable level. He's the colorful mascot who bounces around without meaning or purpose; just pretty lights and loud noises.

Wait? But aren't Naruto and sonic alike? Except the times where Naruto shows emotion (EXTREME) he stays lighthearted and cheerful just about all the time. And if it were not for the NINE TAILS stuck inside of him he'd be a normal uber happy cheerful guy.

BAD COMPARISON!

And next time you try that, use a character worth mentioning. Hell spider-man (PARKER) would have been a better character to mention. I would have taken Batman (bruce wayne) over orange jumpsuit, super sayian looking hair naruto. And what kind of emotion do you want Sonic to have? Random explosions? I mean the guy is living life to the fullest. If I were to do that, I'd be happy everyday of my life without any worries. He's just a VERY optimistic guy who if all else fails can transform into Super/Darkspine/Excalibur/Hyper/Ultra sonic. Did I miss a super form?

Edited by Eternal X

Okay, I'm very late, but I need to get this off my chest:

Lastly if he cares for others, why?

What. mellow.png

Do you seriously need a reason to care for others?

The very fact that that was written makes me worried about the personality of the person I'm talking to.

It says when each profile was last updated in them. We don't update until it is necessary i.e Upon the release of new games that demand changes in VA's, cameos, moves, likes, dislikes etc. Some profiles may be slightly outdated regarding GAME INFORMATION on the profiles but we'll get 'round to that soon enough. They're all still as true and authentic as ever, dabbling in the REAL facts.

...I should know, I greatly contributed to them.

You're an admin?

or his necrophilia fetish or shit

If you mean the infamous kiss in '06, he wasn't a willing participant you know, being dead and all at the time.

b. Sonic's quip of Caliburn as "sorry-looking" and getting both ridiculed and embarrassed for it.

I thought he dropped Caliburn and yelled as a result of the shock of this sword suddenly developing a face as well as talking XD I know I would if I were in that position!

You're an admin?

Yup. I help in the writing-up and updating of the profiles/Additions to them and I also write Game Relations. Quite a lot of what you read is those profiles was actually written by both me and Ryan, we massively expanded upon what was left by the previous Webmaster.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yup. I help in the writing-up and updating of the profiles/Additions to them and I also write Game Relations. Quite a lot of what you read is those profiles was actually written by both me and Ryan, we massively expanded upon what was left by the previous Webmaster.

Then good job I must say, its rare to find a fan site with profiles that lack bull shit, so kudos.

Then good job I must say, its rare to find a fan site with profiles that lack bull shit, so kudos.

Well thanks :D Mine and Ryan's extremely strict adherence to factual accuracy and elaboration is what made us so utterly pissed-off when a certain Wikia plagiarized (Read: Copied and pasted entire sections of profiles) our hard work and even changed the facts within the stolen text to suit their own incredibly fancrufty views.

We are very defensive over the results of our combined efforts because of the sheer degree of research we both invested in Sonic in order to make these profiles so 'deep' as well as the amount of time we spent personally editing each and every profile in Administration.

If you're interested, Shade's REAL Profile is currently being written on my DA page. However, at the current moment it's very much work in-progress.

How complected a character is and how developed they are is important. Why? Because that makes the way they react to events interesting. An interesting character isn't interesting until said interesting character does interesting things in an interesting way. A character could be extremely complex but the plot of the showcasing story could be non-excistant, thus the character is boring. The reverse can be said and an extremely static, lackluster character could do extraordinary things, making the character interesting and enjoyable, albeit not good.

That arguement would be perfect is Sonic was a static, lackluster character. Good freaking thing he's an extremely complex, not to mention unique, character. Plenty of heroes save the world out of the goodness of their heart. But he just does it because "it's gotta be done?" Who else does that again?

• Thumbs Up 2