Awoo.

Sonic is a boring character

Chaos Nightmare Moon

For the record, I'm not advocating Sonic turn into someone like Shinji Ikari, an over emotional teenager, I just wanted to explain how I don't buy Sonic one shoe size fits all personality and should be more convincing as a protagonist, convincing me why I should cheer for him while saves the day and why his character is endearing.

Otherwise, he's no better than Mario. Simple and Empty.

Who is that even? The obscure anime reference aside the difference is that unlike a show like Naruto you aren't watching this. You're playing the game. Characters in games have been much more one-dimensional than Sonic and still developed a fan base behind them, because it's a different story to play the character than watch him on TV.

Don't see what's wrong with Mario, people love him despite having almost no back story surrounding him. Not every character needs a history of revenge and betrayal to have an interesting story.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic's character is endearing because it's quirky, funny, and positive. People like quirky, funny, and positive characters. People also like winners. Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Mario, and Goku; all classic positive characters and winners, which are universal characterizations. Sonic easily fits this mold too, and that's why he will last longer in the collective subconscious of international culture than Naruto can even hope to despite all of internal drama the character is burdened with.

• Thumbs Up 1

For the record, I'm not advocating Sonic turn into someone like Shinji Ikari, an over emotional teenager, I just wanted to explain how I don't buy Sonic one shoe size fits all personality and should be more convincing as a protagonist, convincing me why I should cheer for him while saves the day and why his character is endearing.

Otherwise, he's no better than Mario. Simple and Empty.

What do you mean convincing? As for the other two things, obviously he's the good guy and you should root for him, but since you want detail: Sonic fights for freedom, not just his, everyone's, he's a firm believer that people should go down their own path and live life the way they choose and not let anyone tell you otherwise. Sonic doesn't necessarily hate evil(He's obviously going to stop a bunch of crooks if possible though), but he hates oppression, he hates it when people abuse their own power to control people, and he ain't gonna put up with it, whether its considered good or bad. Sonic does whatever he feels is right, and won't let anyone stop him, be it Eggman, The military, or an insane sorceress. He's kindhearted, compassionate, and sensitive considering that these traits are very rare in real life, a character with these traits will obviously be smiled upon more than someone like Master Chief or Marcus Phoenix.

Is that deep enough for ya?

Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 9

The funny thing is that people outside the fanbase don't even care about Sonic's personality at all. If it were up to them, Sonic would be stripped of any personality, and there would be no story whatsoever.

Sonic's character is endearing because it's quirky, funny, and positive. People like quirky, funny, and positive characters. People also like winners. Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Mario, and Goku; all classic positive characters and winners, which are universal characterizations. Sonic easily fits this mold too, and that's why he will last longer in the collective subconscious of international culture than Naruto can even hope to despite all of internal drama the character is burdened with.

Yet Batman is the most popular superhero in the world. He's also the most universal superhero along with Supes and Spidey and has the highest grossing movie of any fictional comic book/cartoon character ever.

And batman is far from quirky unless you count the 60 campy batman.

As for video game icons, people like the Master Chief, Altair, and Marcus Phoenix in todays culture more than Mario.

The funny thing is that people outside the fanbase don't even care about Sonic's personality at all. If it were up to them, Sonic would be stripped of any personality, and there would be no story whatsoever.

Nobody cares about video game characters to be honest, I don't hear people talking about how deep Altair, or Ezio are so its understandable.

People buy games to play them, they could probably give two shits about the characters involved.

I don't think Sonic is boring, I rather like him as he is. I would however love it if he would be more of an asshole sometimes and less preachy about his friends, but I thought how he was in Colours (personally) was just the way I like him. Could maybe use with less of the jokes all the time, but I do consider Sonic to be kind of corny as well in an endearing way. I'd rather them not try to fuck him up with being troubled by everything. I don't mind it here and there, Sonic shouldn't just be a one dimensional character, but I don't want those things to ever become his primary traits or for the games to ever explore that side of him in depth. I just want him to stay the way he is because that's the way I enjoy his personality best. Sonic wouldn't be Sonic if he was any different

What do you mean convincing? As for the other two things, obviously he's the good guy and you should root for him, but since you want detail: Sonic fights for freedom, not just his, everyone's, he's a firm believer that people should go down their own path and live life the way they choose and not let anyone tell you otherwise. Sonic doesn't necessarily hate evil(He's obviously going to stop a bunch of crooks if possible though), but he hates oppression, he hates it when people abuse their own power to control people, and he ain't gonna put up with it, whether its considered good or bad. Sonic does whatever he feels is right, and won't let anyone stop him, be it Eggman, The military, or an insane sorceress. He's kindhearted, compassionate, and sensitive considering that these traits are very rare in real life, a character with these traits will obviously be smiled upon more than someone like Master Chief or Marcus Phoenix.

Is that deep enough for ya?

Okay so he is a hero(all heroes fight for freedom and against opression), Okay what compells him to fight for this things. Instead of because he just does. Batman fights for Justice because his parents were murdered and he was to seek vengence based on his experiences on those who preys on the innocent. Superman fights for Justice because he was raised by a humble family and was sent their to protect the world from his dad. Why does Sonic bother fighting against people who threaten his precious freedom to run around? What is origin and MO for being a hero? Lastly if he cares for others, why?

Edited by Chaos Nightmare Moon

Yet Batman is the most popular superhero in the world. He's also the most universal superhero along with Supes and Spidey and has the highest grossing movie of any fictional comic book/cartoon character ever.

Batman was a deconstruction of the archetypal Hero, and spawned an entirely new era of Heroes, he was The Anti-Hero, comparing Sonic to Batman is like comparing the Light Bulb to a MacBook, it just doesn't work, Batman has over 30 years against Sonic.

As for video game icons, people like the Master Chief, Altair, and Marcus Phoenix in todays culture more than Mario.

It sure as hell isn't because of their personalities if that's what you're thinking.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay so he is a hero(all heroes fight for freedom and against opression), Okay what compells him to fight for this things. Instead of because he just does. Batman fights for Justice because his parents were murdered. Superman fights for Justice because he was raised by a humble family and was sent their to protect the world from his dad. Why does Sonic bother fighting against people who threaten his precious freedom to run around? What is origin and MO for being a hero? Lastly if he cares for others, why?

Remember his theme song "It Doesn't Matter"? That should tell you everything you need to know about Sonic. Not all Heroes need a reason to fight, Sonic is one of them, he sums it up himself best "I've just gotta do what I've gotta do, that's all", he doesn't feel morally obligated, he's not motivated by his past, he just does what he does because its just who he is. And why shouldn't he care about others?

Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 1

That comic book honor probably goes to the X-men as they have the highest-selling comic book of the general American super heroes. The film honor undoubtedly goes to the Transformers.

Regardless, you said you didn't understand why Sonic was endearing. I explained why. The fact that there's depressed characters that have lasted the test of time doesn't really refute the fact that classically positive characters also have lastability, unless you want to argue that Batman being popular directly correlates with Mickey and Bugs being somehow not.

No they don't. Also:

Why does Sonic bother fighting against people who threaten his precious freedom to run around?

You just answered your own question. Does this need a Bible-length's worth of back story? Honestly? :|

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 3

I do wish you'd stop using Naruto or any other characters as to what you'd like Sonic to be...

'Cause, It sounds like the characters you want him to be like already exist, so why do we need another character to act like that? You want Sonic Shippuden? The Dark Hog? Spiderhog?

I like his "unrealistic" optimism. It makes me happy because he's not like all the other heroes. His endless optimism shows that we are in control of our personalities, if something is bothering us we don't have to let it get us down, we just have to overcome it. Take action and not waste time. Realistic, not always, but its a truth, an uplifting truth.

Its called Fiction. If I wanted realism in my heroes I would go watch the news, or go interview a firefighter.

I like that he's not wishy-washy, he's sure of his ways, That is what makes him a hero to me. I don't want to watch him brood and worry. That's what all the other characters do, and then he shows up to reassure everyone that things will be alright, and take action/do what needs to be done.

He's just how I like my blue hedgehogs, unrealistic.

I have enough realism in my real life.

Edited by Anarnee
  • Thumbs Up 1

Remember his theme song "It Doesn't Matter"? That should tell you everything you need to know about Sonic. Not all Heroes need a reason to fight, Sonic is one of them, he sums it up himself best "I've just gotta do what I've gotta do, that's all", he doesn't feel morally obligated, he's not motivated by his past, he just does what he does because its just who he is. And why shouldn't he care about others?

Sonic by your definition is a abstract concept then, ergo God. Yes heroes need a reason, because thats what makes them heroes, their actions are build up from their vast development from a begining moment.

Sonic never began or ends, he just is. So therefore is a ad infinite no limits fallacy of godliness.

So why should he be endearing to me, if I don't understand him?

Sorry but you're pulling all of your arguments out of your ass and I'm led to believe you don't know what in the world you're talking about.

Anyway, Sonic's motivation for his actions is to preserve freedom, protect his friends, and honestly probably above all, because he's bored and has fun. The fact that he lets his enemy go right ahead with his schemes just because he has a good time foiling his plans isn't a trait you see terribly often and I'd say it makes Sonic interesting. He doesn't need a detailed backstory or anything, he's meant to appeal to kids. They aren't concerned with details like that, they just want a hero to admire.

In all honesty if that doesn't do it for you, I can't imagine why you're interested in the series. Typically someone interested in kids' entertainment likes it because it's simple and lacks all that detail.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic by your definition is a abstract concept then, ergo God. Yes heroes need a reason, because thats what makes them heroes, their actions are build up from their vast development from a begining moment.

Sonic never began or ends, he just is. So therefore is a ad infinite no limits fallacy of godliness.

You just summed up Sonic in a nutshell, have a nice day. You're not supposed to understand him, he's a guy with his own way of doing things.

In all honesty if that doesn't do it for you, I can't imagine why you're interested in the series. Typically someone interested in kids' entertainment likes it because it's simple and lacks all that detail.

He likes guys like Shadow, that should tell you everything you need to know about the way he thinks.

• Thumbs Up 1

That comic book honor probably goes to the X-men as they have the highest-selling comic book of the general American super heroes. The film honor undoubtedly goes to the Transformers.

The batman franchise in general is bigger than any general comicbook based franchise on earth, and The Dark Knight was a better reviewed movie. It's up thier with Toy story 3 on rottom tomatoes. And really the X-men franchise isn't known for it's ideal postive messages either.

Regardless, you said you didn't understand why Sonic was endearing. I explained why. The fact that there's depressed characters that have lasted the test of time doesn't really refute the fact that classically positive characters also have lastability, unless you want to argue that Batman being popular directly correlates with Mickey and Bugs being somehow not.

Okay I concede that.

No they don't. Also:

You just answered your own question. Does this need a Bible-length's worth of back story? Honestly? :|

I just want some sort of clear perspective on Sonic. Which is why Shadow is known for being the most developed of the Sonic character.

He likes guys like Shadow, that should tell you everything you need to know about the way he thinks.

Hey, hey, hey. Hey.... Hey. Let's leave Shadow out of this discussion. [/shadow fan]

I just want some sort of clear perspective on Sonic. Which is why Shadow is known for being the most developed of the Sonic character.

He's also the most divisive character in the franchise, that should tell you something.

Hey, hey, hey. Hey.... Hey. Let's leave Shadow out of this discussion. [/shadow fan]

It was a forgone conclusion, whenever people talk about depth in this series he's mostly the first to come up.

There's nothing wrong with liking Shadow, but more often than not there's something wrong with liking Shadow and not liking Sonic simultaneously. It's usually a sign that the person wants everything to be grr edgy and dark with overly complicated backstories that sound like something out of a bad shonen. Which is hella far from what Sonic should be like.

I think there should be a rule that you're not allowed to like Sonic games if you are one of these people. What you want is Nurutu.

Sorry but you're pulling all of your arguments out of your ass and I'm led to believe you don't know what in the world you're talking about.

Anyway, Sonic's motivation for his actions is to preserve freedom, protect his friends, and honestly probably above all, because he's bored and has fun. The fact that he lets his enemy go right ahead with his schemes just because he has a good time foiling his plans isn't a trait you see terribly often and I'd say it makes Sonic interesting. He doesn't need a detailed backstory or anything, he's meant to appeal to kids. They aren't concerned with details like that, they just want a hero to admire.

It makes me wonder does this series have an identity crisis, theres themes of death, revenge and even grimdark and philosophical messages in this franchise and yet the protagonists acts like he comes from a Looney Tunes cartoon.

Anyways as for your response, I get that because of Sega he can't really be touched, and people love his here today gone tommorow attitude, but it just feels like nothing phases him. Like he takes nothing seriously, the only times I can remember since Elise was dead and on the Ark he was trapped in a capsule.

It makes me wonder does this series have an identity crisis, theres themes of death, revenge and even grimdark and philosophical messages in this franchise and yet the protagonists acts like he comes from a Looney Tunes cartoon.

Yes, it did, and thankfully it's been crawling out of that pit since Unleashed.

Anyways as for your response, I get that because of Sega he can't really be touched, and people love his here today gone tommorow attitude, but it just feels like nothing phases him. Like he takes nothing seriously, the only times I can remember since Elise was dead and on the Ark he was trapped in a capsule.

You're right that he doesn't take things seriously. It's part of his personality. It's why he's not boring.

Sonic has as much of a reason as Mario, Maser Chief, Altair, or any random nameless character in Call of Duty.

He fights because kicking Eggman's but is fun. It's obvious from dialog in games that he enjoys beating Eggman, what more does he need for a reason?

Sonic games haven't usually had an emphasis about the story. It's usually been about the gameplay, unless it's a game like Sonic Adventure in which the story is focused on more heavily.

Frankly at this point I don't think Sonic will be endearing to you unless he gives a dramatic speech before each level on why he fights for truth, justice, and the American way.

The batman franchise in general is bigger than any general comicbook based franchise on earth

On Earth? I highly doubt that. Find me some numbers.

and The Dark Knight was a better reviewed movie. It's up thier with Toy story 3 on rottom tomatoes.

Not only are you suddenly changing your parameters for quality, (first financial worth, now critical quality), but why is this relevant? I can find you a shit-ton of movies on Rotten Tomatoes that have a higher score than The Dark Knight. Hell, TDK was only #29 that year.

And really the X-men franchise isn't known for it's ideal postive messages either.

"Be yourself and fight for the greater good even in the face of societal adversity" isn't a positive message?

I just want some sort of clear perspective on Sonic.

What in the world isn't clear about Sonic? His motivations are amazingly simple to understand. He likes freedom, therefore he fights against anything that seeks to repress that freedom. Why in the world do you need some in-depth justification for this simple fact other than to see Sonic molded to fit your current love affair with dark and grimy heroes? That isn't his character, and it doesn't need to be his character. Ever.

• Thumbs Up 6