Awoo.

Sonic is a boring character

Chaos Nightmare Moon

Well, I understand that; he broke out of prison in SA2, after all, which is illegal no matter what. But it seems this was only made some real moral conundrum with SatBK, and because people champion that characterization, it feels more overstated than it should be. That little bit doesn't suggest Sonic isn't pure of heart. The fact that he sticks only to his natural inclinations of right and wrong regardless of authority actually favors the opposite. Bad deeds aren't inherently bad in a vacuum, (which is why you can argue the morality of X Shadow's actions in that episode).

So killing a girl who unknowingly helps the villains is perfectly fine then?

For Pete's sake, I didn't even imply it was "perfectly" fine. But by the same token, you act like he was attempting to kill her just to get his rocks off. It wasn't a dichotomous moral situation considering Cosmo was basically the whole reason everyone else nearly died beforehand from Meterex attacks, thus taking one extreme side in the matter completely misses the entire point of the situation.

I find it ironic, though. She died anyway. =/

• Thumbs Up 1

For Pete's sake, I didn't even imply it was "perfectly" fine. But by the same token, you act like he was attempting to kill her just to get his rocks off. It wasn't a dichotomous moral situation considering Cosmo was basically the whole reason everyone else nearly died beforehand from Meterex attacks, thus taking one extreme side in the matter completely misses the entire point of the situation.

I find it ironic, though. She died anyway. =/

I'm not saying Shadow didn't have a good reason, his reasons we're completely justified and probably would've been better. Doesn't make it any less messed though, that's all I'm saying.

Honestly I think that's giving them a little too much credit. Most likely they just added the grimdark because that's what the kids are into, and were smart enough not to force it on Sonic himself, instead creating an angsty little clone to dump it on.

Perhaps, but at least they were smart enough to create an angsty little clone to dump it on. :P

Perhaps, but at least they were smart enough to create an angsty little clone to dump it on. tongue.png

Or dumb considering what direction they took it in.

Why is this bad?

In fact, it isn't true at all...

It certainly wasn't true in Black Knight, where he explicity states, that he isn't above becoming the bad guy in order to do what he believes to be right.

I believe the line was:

Exactly, Sonic's not even all that pure, he's got no problem doing what he thinks is right, fuck what society thinks.

I never thought that line suggested Sonic himself possesses the personal ability to do inherently evil acts. I mean, is Robin Hood a villain because he stole money?

Regardless of your answer, it doesn't matter. There's nothing wrong with Sonic being a good guy, so there's no use in defending it beyond that.

Boredom is in the eye of the beholder.

I happen to enjoy sitting down and having a cup of coffee or tea while I mellow out to jazz music. Some people find that boring. I find it relaxing.

I happen to find reading to be a cumbersome endeavor. Some people find it relaxing. I find it boring.

I happen to think Sonic's I-don't-care-what-you-think attitude and smug optimism is pretty interesting. Some people find that to be stale and boring. I find it to be unique and indicative of Sonic's character.

We have enough fictional brooding anti-heroes in the world. Can we at least have one hero like Sonic?

You guys do know that one, that game was non canon. And two, Sonic's heroic compass are nothing original, that his actions fo heroism are primarily based on the Japanese shonen standard of heroism. Which is mostly common in most action shonen in one piece and bleach.

Many Shonen Japanese Heroes are personal belief whorshipping heroic douce bags. Thats how Japanese like thier heroes. Luffy and mostly Yusuke are a few examples of what Sonic is like.

You guys do know that one, that game was non canon. And two, Sonic's heroic compass are nothing original, that his actions fo heroism are primarily based on the Japanese shonen standard of heroism. Which is mostly common in most action shonen in one piece and bleach.

Many Shonen Japanese Heroes are personal belief whorshipping heroic douce bags. Thats how Japanese like thier heroes. Luffy and mostly Yusuke are a few examples of what Sonic is like.

Well Sonic being a mix of both Japanese and American philosophies, I would imagine he would have a Shonen vibe to him. And weren't you the one who said that you preferred Naruto? He's in the same class as the other series and characters you listed, so your claim about not liking Sonic because of his personality is bull shit, because you yourself said that you like heroes like Naruto, who Sonic bears a resemblance to in personality.

Sonic is free. Sonic is fresh. Sonic only follows his law. Sonic is happy. We love him like that. You don't. End of story.

Then what makes him different than Shadow in concept. Minus the happy.

I think he IS boring. Which I why I focus on other characters like Shadow, Amy, Tails, ect.

But only because he's a (male) extroverted, optimistic, aloof, ect.

That personality bores me for male characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think he IS boring. Which I why I focus on other characters like Shadow, Amy, Tails, ect.

But only because he's a (male) extroverted, optimistic, aloof, ect.

That personality bores me for male characters.

• Thumbs Up 6

So if Sonic is boring because he's happy, then being sad makes him awkward, being angry at the world makes him fun to hang out with, being boring makes him sexy.....there's too much thought here. In fact, why/how the hell is he boring again?wacko.png

Sonic's about as boring as a talking blue anthropomorphic insectivore with the ability to run at the speed of sound and spin around and turn into a hybrid mix of a sentient sawblade and a bowling ball with the bouncing capabilities of silly putty.

SO BORING.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic is far from aloof, he may not visit his friends that often, but he's definitely not introverted about his feelings.

So Sonic is boring because he's happy? What is it are you looking for in a personality?

Why are you attacking Ishtar? Because she has a different opinion than you? Lame...

I agree with her, Sonic is dull and has a lame personality, even Tails has a better personality than Sonic.

Not once have I seen the people who label Sonic "boring" provide a compelling counter-argument to the points brought up by people who contest that he isn't boring. Comparing him to Shonen heroes is not a compelling counter-argument.

• Thumbs Up 7

Why are you attacking Ishtar? Because she has a different opinion than you? Lame...

An opinion doesn't save you from criticism, especially if the logic surrounding it is flawed. Shadic replied because Ishtar described Sonic as "aloof," which is NOT who he is. He had every right to counterargue and question her.

Also, you haven't explained why Sonic has a "lame" personality. Why don't you do so?

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree with her, Sonic is dull and has a lame personality, even Tails has a better personality than Sonic.

@thedude: Shadic wasn't attacking anybody. Disagreeing isn't attacking, and calling it as such is immature. Now I've seen SSMB do some attacking, and considering the subject matter we're all surprisingly kind of tame. I would suggest, for the opponents' sake, appreciating the current tone of the topic instead of inflaming it like that with baseless accusations, intentionally or otherwise.

Also, can you explain why?

Not once have I seen the people who label Sonic "boring" provide a compelling counter-argument to the points brought up by people who contest that he isn't boring. Comparing him to Shonen heroes is not a compelling counter-argument.

I think it's fair to say that you're not going to get any kind of compelling counterargument and that this topic is wholly a simultaneous exercise in fun and frustration depending upon your composure.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why is Sonic boring?

I don't take, "He's never gets angry, sad, or angsty, therefore he's boring" as an answer, mostly because it is simply untrue.

• Thumbs Up 1

An opinion doesn't save you from criticism, especially if the logic surrounding it is flawed. Shadic replied because Ishtar described Sonic as "aloof," which is NOT who he is. He had every right to counterargue and question her.

Also, you haven't explained why Sonic has a "lame" personality. Why don't you do so?

Because he's just a normal hero like Superman and Captain America. Like them he fights for freedom and for what he thinks is right, that's all. Nothing special, Sonic in a nutshell.

I don't think he's boring, however there are characters I like way more than him (like Silver) and I hope that isn't a bad thing.

It isn't. It's one thing to simply like other characters more than a certain character, it's another thing to hate said certain character, and even then, it's alright as long as you're being reasonable about it.

Because he's just a normal hero like Superman and Captain America. Like them he fights for freedom and for what he thinks is right, that's all. Nothing special, Sonic in a nutshell.

The superficial comparisons you and others keep making between Sonic and other characters isn't making your argument, but rather fueling the suspicion that you have no compelling reasoning to support your statement. It's like saying Sonic is exactly like Papa Smurf because they're both blue and have red shoes.

Can you guys honestly come better than "Sonic is a hero and heroes are boring" by actually explaining why his whole personality, not just a single belief, isn't good?

• Thumbs Up 3

The superficial comparisons you and others keep making between Sonic and other characters isn't making your argument, but rather fueling the suspicion that you have no compelling reasoning to support your statement. It's like saying Sonic is exactly like Papa Smurf because they're both blue and have red shoes.

Can you guys honestly come better than "Sonic is a hero and heroes are boring" by actually explaining why his whole personality, not just a single belief, isn't good?

How can I explain his personality when he has no personality?!