Awoo.

Sonic is a boring character

Chaos Nightmare Moon

I wouldn't be phased about someone killing me either, because I'd be dead. You see, science has proven that people die when they are killed.

Besides, if you really want to hold onto the assumption Sonic cared about being killed you could interpret his attacks against Solaris as revenge for being stabbed and not just for rendering it unable to consume all of space-time laugh.png

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sometimes reading stuff like this topic makes me feel like the only one who is looking forward to Generations having Sonic as the main focus? My favourite Sonic Character is and always will be Tails but I am glad that Sonic has the main focus this time round. smile.png

Sometimes reading stuff like this topic makes me feel like the only one who is looking forward to Generations having Sonic as the main focus? My favourite Sonic Character is and always will be Tails but I am glad that Sonic has the main focus this time round. smile.png

If what I'm grasping here is correct, your one sad being...

So, you like Sadness, Depression, and Violence in your Real Life as well as in Games?

Then WHY are you playing Sonic games to begin with?

We play these games to escape all of that, so go grab your bag of sadness and take it somewhere else. It's not needed here.

On the note of Sonic being more like the Real World:

Sonic's World doesn't have Crime(Other than Eggman)

doesn't struggle financially(I mean really Rings just lay EVERYWHERE!)

doesn't suffer from starvation.

doesn't have world leaders.

doesn't have War.

doesn't have Armies(other than GUN).

doesn't fight over religions. (Chaos and "The Sun of Soleanna" get along just fine, it seems)

Shall I go on??

That said... go grab your self a copy of Shadow the Hedgehog and leave Sonic alone. Plain and simple.

Edited by WhoZ
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mario is tied to protecting Peach and the Mushroom kingdom, thats his purpose, John is a Spartan trained marine commander who fights for the sake of the universe safety and is detached by human emotions so he won't forget that duty, thats his purpose.

What is Sonic's purpose exactly, running and beating bad guys for fun with no consequence.

So when Sonic has a narrow emotional track it is because of bad writing, but when JOHN THE FUCKN SPARTAN is emotionally absent throughout the games it is because the writers purposefully portrayed him as distant to fufill his duty. You know... I always thought he was emotionally distant because he didn't care, because he can fall from space, hit the earth, and get up a few minutes later. If the writers wanted to express his emotional distance because of his duty, maybe they could write some dialog to reference that, instead of just having him say a line every ten levels.

Edit: CAPS because I still giggle when hearing JOHN THE FUCKN SPARTAN

Edited by SpikeyPurple

On the note of Sonic being more like the Real World:

Sonic's World doesn't have Crime(Other than Eggman)

doesn't struggle financially(I mean really Rings just lay EVERYWHERE!)

doesn't suffer from starvation.

doesn't have world leaders.

doesn't have War.

doesn't have Armies(other than GUN).

doesn't fight over religions. (Chaos and "The Sun of Soleanna" get along just fine, it seems)

Shall I go on??

Not that I agree with him, though I would say just because Sonic Team does not touch on these aspects does not mean they don't happen at all. It's that they are merely irrelevant to the stories they write.

"Hey guys, let's turn Sonic into an unlikable mess so he can be "deep" and shit. Only bitchy characters are realistic and meaningful."

Honestly, it is sad state of affairs when the above is basically the argument, that the only time a character is meaningful to some people is when they're pissed off all the time. And it doesn't address the two proverbial elephants: Why are we singling out Sonic when he's not the only optimistic character (better get to raping Cream, Sega; we can't have happiness in this series, no siree.) and how can you implement this so-called development without changing the universe or characters into something they've not been for 13 years? I want these questions reasonably answered by the Sonic Offense Force.

Since when did I say happiness was not my thing, I have not said that. I like happy heroes, I like Superman, Spidey and Finn and Jake. Seriously. I also never said depression was needed in Sonic.

Edited by Chaos Nightmare Moon

If you like happy heroes, especially Finn and Jake, then why in the blue blazes does this topic even exist? Because that's been the general sentiment of yours and others' argument: Sonic is too happy, therefore he needs to be depressed more often to be interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since when did I say happiness was not my thing, I have not said that. I like happy heroes, I like Superman, Spidey and Finn and Jake. Seriously.

Oh hell no. Finn & Jake are always happy, no matter what ,and you find them interesting, yet find Sonic boring. Finn & Jake haven't gone through anymore than what Sonic has, actually has been through more, Sonic has taken down gods, demons, dark doppelgangers and has had to leave a lot of friends behind in his adventures, but because he doesn't cry a river he's uniteresting? Meanwhile most of the stuff Finn & Jake go through range from: A selfish self proclaimed King, and some other weird oddities, but nowhere near to the world threatening caliber that Sonic has gone through, but they're ok to you?

• Thumbs Up 1

So compared to Finn and Jake, Sonic is the happy one, where not even a silver bullet to the skull can phaze him.

get out of here...

Fun doesn't cut it for me, I like my heroes to actually have responsible awareness to them, and how much they effect the plot, Sonic is just the kinda character who is to invincible to root for because he's so predictible and linear, you know he's going to win and save everyone, and he's always somehow happy and non phased by the fact he got killed or one of his friend almost got killed. Many protagonists with Sonic's personality, at least notice they have crossed the line and take a time to realize it. Then they go back to the way they were but is now knowing whats at stake.

@ Bolded section

It wouldn't be much of a videogame series, if you can't fucking win.

Sonic needs to win, if it is to give the player is to get any kind of satisfaction for completing the game. If Sonic loses, it feels cheap to the player, because despite the fact they won the final boss fight (they likely spent a great deal of time on), Sonic still lost. It would also be blatant sequel-bait.

@Red section

Have you watched the opening cinematic of Unleashed?

Sonic loses. He turns into Super Sonic, (what is essentially the equivalent to Naruto's Kyuubi-mode or Ichigo's Hollow-mode) and he fucking loses. He is defeated by a machine that Eggman made, and is turned into the Werehog by the negative energy emitted by Dark Gaia. After that, just before he's thrown out of the spacecraft, by Eggman, and left to fall to his doom, he specifically says:

"You've really gone and done it this time Eggman!"

Is that not enough for you?

• Thumbs Up 1

Since when did I say happiness was not my thing, I have not said that. I like happy heroes, I like Superman, Spidey and Finn and Jake. Seriously.

objection.png

Uh...Excuse Me? Sonic is boring and campy but Finn and Jake are A-Ok? What kind of paradox are you pulling? Not to compare and this is just me saying but Sonic and F&J seem to have that same level of campy for me.

Come on now, bro chacho...

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh hell no. Finn & Jake are always happy, no matter what ,and you find them interesting, yet find Sonic boring. Finn & Jake haven't gone through anymore than what Sonic has, actually has been through more, Sonic has taken down gods, demons, dark doppelgangers and has had to leave a lot of friends behind in his adventures, but because he doesn't cry a river he's uniteresting? Meanwhile most of the stuff Finn & Jake go through range from: A selfish self proclaimed King, and some other weird oddities, but nowhere near to the world threatening caliber that Sonic has gone through, but they're ok to you?

Unlike Sonic, they go through tough times and character development, especially Finn with Princess Bubblegum and being the last human. That and he's much more realistic character compared to Sonic, he loves havign fun but he takes things seriously when it gets down to it and knows that Jake needs him and vice versa.

You have to watch the show to understand, of course Finn is one of the best cartoon heroes thast fits my description of a complete hero.

Unlike Sonic, they go through tough times and character development, especially Finn with Princess Bubblegum and being the last human. That and he's much more realistic character compared to Sonic, he loves havign fun but he takes things seriously when it gets down to it and knows that Jake needs him and vice versa.

You have to watch the show to understand, of course Finn is one of the best cartoon heroes thast fits my description of a complete hero.

I watch the show and I think you're really overthinking some of the stuff in it considering most of it is downplayed. The parts I bolded in your post best describes Sonic as well as F&J.

EDIT: Basically, when I say 'downplayed' I mean that Finn being the only human is relatively minor in regards to the episodes and humor. The show isn't telling a big overreaching story arc about Finn and his existence in the land of Ohh, but just having each episode as a side-adventure with little to no continuity.

Edited by DarkLightDragon

he loves havign fun but he takes things seriously when it gets down to it and knows that Jake needs him and vice versa.

So what you're saying is, you have absolutely no idea what Sonic's character even is. Like, not even a sliver of an idea.

No he doesn't, I've watched Adventure time and what you described is minor compared to what the show is actually about, hint: Its the name of the show. The show isn't about Finn being the last human its got nothing to do with that, at all, all of the promos for the show are comedy based, the "character Development" that you're describing is so non-existent that it shouldn't even count. Adventure Time is just as much as Adventure series as Sonic, its the fucking title for Christs sake.

Go ask anyone what they think of Adventure Time, and I guarantee that "Finns' development" will never come up.

• Thumbs Up 2

No he doesn't, I've watched Adventure time and what you described is minor compared to what the show is actually about, hint: Its the name of the show. The show isn't about Finn being the last human its got nothing to do with that, at all, all of the promos for the show are comedy based, the "character Development" that you're describing is so non-existent that it shouldn't even count. Adventure Time is just as much as Adventure series as Sonic, its the fucking title for Christs sake.

Go ask anyone what they think of Adventure Time, and I guarantee that "Finns' development" will never come up.

Basically what I tried to say.unsure.png

I believe that he is boring because he shows no personality except "I'm the fastest thing alive!" "We're the Sonic Heroes!!!" He needs something to happen so that Sonic will have a personality, e.g. someone gets killed by Eggman.

I believe that he is boring because he shows no personality except "I'm the fastest thing alive!" "We're the Sonic Heroes!!!" He needs something to happen so that Sonic will have a personality, e.g. someone gets killed by Eggman.

Some random person getting killed by Eggman won't change anything. There really isn't a need either for a change in Sonic's attitude. He's not boring, he just hasn't been placed in any games recently that focused on his character development. Sega is currently trying to find its roots, and that involves going back to a time where there were no dramatic cutscenes, death of recurring characters, or anything other than gameplay that made us fall in love with Sonic in the first place. I'm just curious what world you're in where Jake is a more developed character than Sonic?

Also if you want backstory and character development, maybe read the comics, or you know, go watch some more of that Naruto thingy.

'He's Sonic the fucking Hedgehog' doesn't mean anything, when we're trying to argue his personality in the first place. If anything, his portrayal in the 90s and game mechanics would suggest something closer to Dante than anything else. I mean, so many people hold SatBK Sonic as the ultimate Sonic portrayal, when in that game he's more generic shonen hero (and thus further than his original roots) than he's ever been.

I said that because I had to go at the time. I would have put why he was different then, but I got tied up in a bunch of stuff. I guess I should start getting to that now. I put it in my bottom paragraph as I don't want to copy paste or retype everything. Sonic was never really like Dante, I'm just saying, you're coming off to me as if you wanted him to be Dante. In SatBK, I wouldn't look at him as a Shonen hero as I would an American Revolutionary, especially toward the end. When the world was doomed to either destruction, or eternally bunking with the likes of the underworld, Sonic stepped up and said "GIVE ME LIBERTY, OR GIVE ME DEATH". So if Sonic is Shonen, then so are the founding fathers.

naruto_shippuden-762428.jpg

"We, the people, demand for the King to read this in my voice. Believe it." ~Thomas Jefferson, Declaration of Independence

I guess though, I'm not expecting Sonic to be a total anti-hero, but just someone who's not TOO nice. It's should come as a surprise that I like his Fleetway portrayal the most.

No comment, as I haven't read the Fleetway comics, nor am I going to go read them to argue.

Unlike Mario, Sonic had a personality from the beginning (through his sprite animations). If I had to rewrite Sonic, it would be derived completely from the Genesis games, because that allows for a much more interesting interpretation of the character than what we have today. I mean, 'insensitivity' is probably the biggest personality trait of Sonic you can draw from the early games. Not 'oh, he cares so much for his friends and doesn't want anyone to get hurt and he wants to save the world blah blah blah.' And doesn't the S1 manual suggest that his conflict against Eggman has been ongoing, even before the first game? Sounds like a pair of trickster culture heroes to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demiurge

I never said Sonic was a White Knight. I've been referencing a lot of the songs, if you couldn't tell. Songs that are generally about Sonic and his personality. He doesn't care if what he thinks is right to everyone else or not. It doesn't matter. What matters is what he does on reaction; What he thinks is right. If he ends up saving some girl, he does that. If he ends up having to fight a friend of his, he'll do that. If he ends up sticking a hand to help someone up, and halfway through he kicks them in the nuts back onto the ground, he does that. Sonic does whatever he wants, because frankly he's saved the world so many times he practically owns it and everyone in it, but thankfully he's not amoral. At least not very.

I don't expect ANYONE to agree with me though.

There are a couple new members, as pointed out by Hogfather, that conveniently agree. Could be legit, could be alts, I don't know.

Edited by Mr.Awesomest

... so basically a character doesn't have a personality until he deals with extreme grief/suffering/pain? That's what I'm getting from you right now, which I feel implies that you don't feel that characters have a consistent personality unless they're angsty and constantly suffering.

Also, Sonic has a huge amount of personality. It just seems that his personality doesn't appeal to you, which is very different from simply not having one, period.

• Thumbs Up 4