Awoo.

Zones we hate

Gaming Misfit

There are many zones I hate, but which I deeply respect, for the reasons they made me hate them for are interesting and enriching to the game. There is only one zone I hate and can't understand at all.

mqdefault.jpg

MOTHERFUCKING BLUE MARINE

Now, we all know Sonic Blast is not the most brilliant Sonic game, but this zone is downright fucking stupid. D'you know Scrambled Egg from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for Master System and Game Gear? It's something like that, EXCEPT UNDERWATER. I'd rather be Napoleon and build a beach house at Waterloo than play this zone ever again.

And take a listen at this tune.

It's somewhat interesting - the kind of thing I'd whistle to while playing... if it wasn't so... fitting for the article on atrocity that this zone is.

• Thumbs Up 2

My feelings for Mad Space depend on how long it takes me to find the emeralds. If I find them in a decent amount of time, then I don't find it so bad. If not....

BULLET STATION. - Specifically the Team Sonic version.

I was stuck on this level for years after the release of Heroes. All because of Heroes' shitty grinding mechanic. And six year old me.

But seriously, if it wasn't the bad grinding that caught me out, it was that kart section in the middle. Christ.

I didn't beat this level until about 2008 or so. Five years after the release of Heroes. And I still had the rest of Team Dark and Chaotix to do. 

Now, however I can beat this level and this game with ease. I hate past me. Dx

I still retain the hate for the level though.

Ugh, Heroes shitty grinding mechanics really make any team's version of Bullet Station annoying...

I always found it easier to use the Team in Flying formation (Tails as the Leader) when doing the grinding sections that could lead to death. This was a really handy thing to do when on Final Fortress, towards the very end with the multicolored lazers while grinding. 

And take a listen at this tune.

It's somewhat interesting - the kind of thing I'd whistle to while playing... if it wasn't so... fitting for the article on atrocity that this zone is.

It's amusing that all four comments on the video of the music are complaining about the zone itself. Such is the unspeakable clusterfuck that is this zone. I could deal with the pipes because at least you get air in them but the stiff controls only getting WORSE underwater is just so horrendous.

Sonic 1: Marble Zone 

Sonic 2: Oil Ocean

Sonic 3: Launch Base

Sonic and Knuckles: Sandopolis Act 2 (I actually really enjoy Act 1)

Sonic CD: N/A (They're all brilliant)

Edited by The Pit of Mystic Cave

Sonic CD: N/A (They're all brilliant)

Wait. Are you telling me you didn't hate Wacky Workbench? Everyone I know hates that zone because of the bouncing floor.

Sonic 06: Flame core
Too me, that place has the most glitches.

Jungle level: can't remember the name but timing those jumps while swinging on the vine were not for me so i'm always guessing when to jump.

Sonic colors asteroid coaster:
i'm not sure what act was it but it was the one that kept switching up the gravity. I'm always falling up, falling down, getting hit. It's hard for me.

Wait. Are you telling me you didn't hate Wacky Workbench? Everyone I know hates that zone because of the bouncing floor.

No, I honestly don't. I'm sure I did when I first played it, but if you know your way around, you don't even have to touch the floor.

Or Collision Chaos Act 3? 

Shit, I forgot about that boss. You win

Well, am I the only person here who loves Flame Core?(Not for the glitches, but on a related note, I love Asteroid Coaster)

I really hate Starlight Carnival for reusing the same parts of a stage for 3 separate act. 

• 1 month later...

Sandopolis (WAY TOO LONG), Metropolis (F**KING SLICERSSSS!), Oil Ocean (Dunno why just don't like it) , Oil Desert (Same as Oil Ocean), Wacky Workbench (I don't really hate it, but I HATE THE FLOOR THAT BOUNCES YOU UP!!!),  Volcano Valley (LAVA!!!) There are some others I don't like but those are the ones that came to mind first.

Edited by SonicDude

Oil Ocean and Hill Top feel so bland and uninspired.They're just kinda... there.

• 1 month later...

I not hate no zones than again Level Wing Fortress in.

Sonic 1 - Not Played.

Sonic 2

Level 2 Chemical Plant Act 2 - The water and jumping platforms.

Level 7 Oil Ocean - Those seahorse things that get you!

Level 10 Wing Fortress - Keep falling off platforms. Last level of course boss very hard.

Special Stages - Nearly Impossible.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles

Level 4 Carnival Night Act 2 - That spinning barrel when little kid torture and usually always get "Time Over" on this level act.

Level 6 Launch Base Act 2 - Sonic 3 By Itself the boss is nearly impossible to beat even with cheat and if you lose it takes 5 minutes to slowly get back to that point. With Sonic 3 and Knuckles they remove hard boss leaving only normal boss in.

Last Level Boss Before Doomsday - Yes it pretty hard without super form.

Special Stages - Easier on the Genesis, harder on computer.

Sonic 3D Blast (Flickies Island)

Level 5 Volcano Valley Act 3 - It not possible to beat boss without getting hurt much at.

I've always hated Sandopolis, when I was younger and finally made it to that god awful level I got a freaking time over because I got lost. And those ghosts are a pain in the butt when the lights go out. >_> Of course I don't like Carnival Night Zone Act 2 either because of the barrel, but I remember my best friend and I figured out a different way to make it pass that dreaded object. I used to dislike Chemical Plant 2 for the same reasons as most of you, but I grew to like the level a bit more especially after figuring out that shortcut not too long ago. If there's any level I dislike from Sonic 2 it's the final level because the last boss is a pain in the butt due to his hitbox. >_< For modern games I completely hate all of Knuckles levels from Sonic Adventure 2 as they're way too big for emerald hunting. Same goes for Rouge since her levels are pretty much the same. I also hate Lost World from Sonic Adventure, I can't get the A rank because it seems impossible to beat the level within the giving time. I'm sure there are more, but these ones come to mind first.

• Thumbs Up 1

The levels I hate the most are all the Tails and Eggman levels in SA2. I love the game, but I don't tend to finish it these days because as soon as I hit one of those levels, I tend to turn it off. I also really, really hate the final boss phases in Sonic Unleashed. It's just sooooo slow and I was working on it for well over 2 hours! Argh!

But I think my ultimate level hate has to be Sky High Zone from Sonic The Hedgehog 2 for the MS/GG. The single reason, because of that Hang Glider! For years I could never figure it out and even now it's sheer luck if I can get it to work. I also cringed at Green Hills Zone act 3 because of all the causes of death in that zone!... actually, I think despite loving the level designs of that game, I have a lot of reasons to hate that game's levels.

The levels I hate the most are all the Tails and Eggman levels in SA2. I love the game, but I don't tend to finish it these days because as soon as I hit one of those levels, I tend to turn it off. I also really, really hate the final boss phases in Sonic Unleashed. It's just sooooo slow and I was working on it for well over 2 hours! Argh!

I'm the same way with Knuckles and Rouge's levels, myself. The moment they start throwing in the hidden rooms nonsense, I start to groan as it means exploring all the different portraits to find exactly where it's located...

Hated Egg Quarters in particular because of the obnoxious beetles.

Well, my opinions have changed a lot.

My most hated level in the series is still Metropolis Zone, but Eggmanland has really grown on me. To be fair, I really don't find it that hard anymore.

Then again, Sandopolis is my 100% favourite level in the franchise, sooo~... Never listen to my opinions because they just blow your mind.

...oh and I hate Hydrocity more than Marble Garden now. I'm sorry. :/

I like Labyrinth, Aquatic Ruin and Tidal Tempest because they break the fast flow and allow you to explore and platform around. As weird as it sounds, I really enjoy doing this in the classic Sonic games, as speedrunning these slow-paced levels feels so rewarding. The thing is, Hydrocity is "GOTTA GO FAST WOOSH WOOSH WOOSH WOOSH GOALPOST".

My current record in Sandopolis act 1 is 3 minutes, 22 seconds. I'm still trying to get sub 3 minutes, and it really opens up a brand new challenge to the level which I largely enjoy.

also SA2's city escape is overrated and just hold analogue up to win

Edited by Super Spindash

• 3 weeks later...

Oh. There's a topic here too?

Well in that case:

Security.

Hall.

That level is a bloody nightmare, and the one reason I've always put off 100%ing SA2. It's a pain in the arse through and through, and it was pure luck that I managed to beat it on the DC. On the Gamecube version, I sat there for 9 fucking years unable to beat that hellhole.

• Thumbs Up 5

the end of Empire City Night Act 1, particularly the spiked walkway. I cannot count the number of times I have died due to that 90 degree turn I have to make and inevitably fail at doing. I can't even try to get back up due to the damn spikes and the face that the walkway is FALLING down as well. Overall, a really dicksh end to an otherwise cool level.

Security Hall in Sonic Adventure 2.

How do they expect us to find three Chaos Emeralds in five minutes? Especially in a level like that, where everything looks exactly the same. Every time you run out of time, the emeralds reset, to completely random positions, and the monitors really don't help. Made worse by Robotnik complaining every two seconds. I still cannot complete that level.

Minor complaints about the level: I hate Rouge's walking animation and the background music. Might be because I've had to listen to it on an infinite loop.

I'd have to go with Aquatic Base in Sonic '06, I honestly fill with dread every time I begin to play it.

I rage quit so hard making an S Rank on Very Hard Mode x_x

Second would have to be Eggman Land in Sonic Unleashed, I haven't played it in a couple of years, but I always remember disliking that level because of how confusing it was or how long for some reason.

Besides those two, I can't think of another. I used to dislike Lost World in Sonic Adventure, but I've easily began to like the level again.

EDIT: Security Hall, and Mad Space in Sonic Adventure 2 as well.

Edited by ThatOneSonicFan

I remember being stuck on Crazy Gadget for the longest time in SA2 when I was younger.

Now, however, I really hate Eggman Land in Sonic Unleashed. Screw that level!

Metropolis. Sandopolis. Mad Gear. Terminal Velocity (initially). Ice Cap (Adventure). Any hunting levels.

Death Chamber; So confusing, so many intertwining paths. It's a wonder I made it through the 4th mission.

All of Altitude Limit. It wouldn't be as bad if those fricking spaceships weren't there.

I remember being stuck on Crazy Gadget for the longest time in SA2 when I was younger.

Oh God how I used to ragequit on that level.