Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

I love the Wii U controller, but I'll agree the replacement factor was poorly thought out.

I'll agree with Goomy as well, replacement is a problem with it, but otherwise its a great, and extremely comfortable, controller, and quite light for its size, and its size is not a problem at all

• Thumbs Up 3

I love the Wii U gamepad too. I just think that when making gameplay for it, they should focus more on the "stick/button" part of it, and less on the "second screen" part. That alone makes it where using the Pro Controller as your regular is /always/ an option, and makes where the second screen just enhances the experience instead of adding anything mandatory or gimmicky.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo doesn't even need to be the #1 best selling console out there to be very successful this generation, at least in my eyes. PS1 beat out N64 financially but you can't walk two steps without hearing about the legacy the N64 left behind. If they could make it fit that position without losing steam, they have it good.

I just want Nintendo to up their game. Make a less confusing, streamlined dashboard. Build all potentially MP games with online in mind, patch the games without it to have it, and center the entire online community on Miiverse around it. Stop building games with Wiimotes or even Gamepads in mind, focus on the Pro Controller first and everything else second. Shell out loads of AAA+ games with lots of variety and fan favorites. Build bigger hard drives. Etc.

And none of those things I listed sounded like they couldn't be done with what they have now.

They launched this console prematurely, yes, but Xbox One and PS4 just came around and they have much more time to iron out their mistakes with this machine because of it. Nintendo's got one hell of a chance (with Iwata actually acknowledging the problem), but the only question is: will they take it?

But what's the point? Why spend so much time, money, and resources trying to make a meager profit on a failed idea? Why not put those resources towards R&D on a successor console that might actually make them money?

The Wii U can ride it out until the next system is ready, sure. Have some big games every year like Zelda and X to keep people satisfied. Hell, more niche stuff like F-Zero could he cheaper to produce which helps.

Anything more than that is just pointless now, honestly. It's just too late.

The GamePad essentially makes the U function like a less practical DS, where in the second screen can rightly be ignored almost entirely for the benefit of the game. Most DS games are able to benefit from the touch screen in some way, even if it's just a perma-menu or map, because it'll always be in your field of view. But the U? Nope.

do we really need to go over why the Wii was a success again? The Wii was a success because Nintendo decided to go outside the box and appeal to more people than just gamers.

True it but alienated a lot of gamers in the process. Also a lot of people that bought them eventually sold them after the "novelty" wore off. Great marketing strategy but its left a lasting murky impression for Nintendo that they need to get rid off.

I am saying this with hindsight but maybe Nintendo should of hanged back a bit before releasing the Wii U? Then again they would had little to offer in the home console as Wii had pretty much ran its course. Also they could  focused on the 3DS but their energies into it before releasing the Wii U. I don't maybe if did their loses would greater than it is now?

I will say one thing is Nintendo have some loyal fans maybe they should focus on them, invest in giving them some new titles of old franchises build some hype that way. There also the Hipster and retro audiences they could cater for?

When Iwata was going on about Smartphones I am concerned maybe I am reading too much into it but is he hinting about tapping into the Smartphone market. If he is then he has his work cut out for him.

Also how many price cuts has the Wii U had so far?

But what's the point? Why spend so much time, money, and resources trying to make a meager profit on a failed idea? Why not put those resources towards R&D on a successor console that might actually make them money?

The Wii U can ride it out until the next system is ready, sure. Have some big games every year like Zelda and X to keep people satisfied. Hell, more niche stuff like F-Zero could he cheaper to produce which helps.

Anything more than that is just pointless now, honestly. It's just too late.

*sigh*

Once again, the thread is going in circles.

"Why even try to fix what's obviously a failed product?". Once upon a time, the Playstation 3 was a failed product. They realized their faults by a swift kick in the head. Then they picked up their shit, delivered the goods, and it became considered the most well-rounded console of the three last generation. 

To say that there's no worth to the console trying to do the same just because of some graphical specs and a gamepad is just dumb. 

• Thumbs Up 8

The Wii U has a hell of a lot more problems than the PS3 had though, so eh. 

And? They could still be fixed.

I get being pessimistic for the sake of being realistic, but gosh doodly dingus can I not be happy in knowing there's a possibility Iwata (and thus Nintendo) will actually learn from their mistakes? Because it seems like that can't be done now without a mopey debbie-downer fest about not trusting them at all. :v

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not entirely sure about this, but has this news been posted here yet? I know that some things Iwata said have been debated here today, but not sure about this:

"We cannot continue a business without winning," Iwata said on Friday during a press conference attended by Bloomberg. "We must take a skeptical approach whether we can still simply make game players, offer them in the same way as in the past for 20,000 yen or 30,000 yen, and sell titles for a couple of thousand yen each.

"We are thinking about a new business structure," Iwata added. "Given the expansion of smart devices, we are naturally studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business. It's not as simple as enabling Mario to move on a smartphone."

Investors and analysts have urged Nintendo to broaden its horizons and boost profits by embracing smartphones on multiple occasions over the past few years, but Iwata has always insisted that his responsibility is to plan for the long term, not simply to make a quick buck.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/445870/nintendo-thinking-about-a-new-business-structure/

What does the future hold for you, Nintendo? A partnership with a major smart phone manufacturer to create a DS/smartphone hybrid?

It's just another marketing push in order to get people to buy their dedicated game machines. It's exactly what Iwata said, it's not just putting Mario on iPhone and calling it a day.

So, does anyone think the Wii U, or even Nintendo itself will be okay? I am kinda uncertain about the future here.

Its Nintendo, they survived the game crash, they can survive this, they have shown they are one tough cookie, honestly Sony is in worse condition than they will be.

And in regards with the Wii-U, it looks like it has a chance to be a N64, and have an extremely strong game heritage, X, SMTXFE, SSB4, and Hyrule warriors alone will assure, not to mention whatever tricks Nintendo have up their sleeve

So, does anyone think the Wii U, or even Nintendo itself will be okay? I am kinda uncertain about the future here.

If Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, the new Zelda (not Hyrule Warriors, although it might sell well especially in Japan since they love Dynasty Warriors) or even X doesn't help the Wii U THEN I would be worried. As for Nintendo themselves, they can make 5 more failing consoles and still have money left in the bank. The people saying that their current problems will "kill them" are silly IMO.

• Thumbs Up 2

Its Nintendo, they survived the game crash, they can survive this, they have shown they are one tough cookie, honestly Sony is in worse condition than they will be.

And in regards with the Wii-U, it looks like it has a chance to be a N64, and have an extremely strong game heritage, X, SMTXFE, SSB4, and Hyrule warriors alone will assure, not to mention whatever tricks Nintendo have up their sleeve

If Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, the new Zelda (not Hyrule Warriors, although it might sell well especially in Japan since they love Dynasty Warriors) or even X doesn't help the Wii U THEN I would be worried. As for Nintendo themselves, they can make 5 more failing consoles and still have money left in the bank. The people saying that their current problems will "kill them" are silly IMO.

Okay, if you say so. I guess I just asked that because I needed some reassurance, after seeing some people talk negatively about Nintendo and the Wii U.

Even if what Tornado said (Nintendo not being in the industry back then) wasn't the case, the two situations are utterly incomparable. 30+ years in the electronics industry? Everything about the market and the companies involved has changed beyond recognition several times over.

Nintendo wasn't even in the industry when it crashed.

Yes they were!

They were just *gasp*.....

atari_2600_mario_bros_cartridge.jpg

making games for other consoles D:

Okay, if you say so. I guess I just asked that because I needed some reassurance, after seeing some people talk negatively about Nintendo and the Wii U.

I still have faith in the system (I have one myself so why shouldn't I) but I'm not gonna be in denial and say that it's doing fine...cause it's not. I'm just saying that people are declaring the Wii U AND Nintendo themselves dead way too early.

I still have faith in the system (I have one myself so why shouldn't I) but I'm not gonna be in denial and say that it's doing fine...cause it's not. I'm just saying that people are declaring the Wii U AND Nintendo themselves dead way too early.

I do have SOME faith myself, though I can see what you do mean. It's obvious that the Wii U isn't doing too hot, but like you have said, it is too early to say that the Wii U is doomed right now. Some people just jump the gun way too sooner than they should.

Yes they were!

and gasp, they didn't have a load of money riding on the sales of consoles

because gasp, times change and companies grow

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes they were!

I believe those ports were not authorized by the Japanese unit. (Communication in the early 80s-hah) The Japanese unit still used their own hardware in arcade machines.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was making fun of the hivemind that Nintendo not being first party anymore would destroy the industry when they've already been there, but okay.