Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

And I don't blame Nintendo for doing what they did, it makes sense in theory by not shoveling money into one-shot advertising.

But the problem was this wasn't just any run of the mill event. I hope they realize this now.

No, they did actually show up at the event (they even had quite a substantial area on the show floor), they just didn't have an on-stage conference. What I meant is that when the news went out that Nintendo was swapping out the on-stage conference for a Direct, a lot of people proceeded somehow didn't notice the latter bit and proceeded to think that Nintendo weren't showing up period. I think the gaming media were mostly at fault for that one, though I think Nintendo should've made the effort to let everyone know that they were showing up, just with a different format.

tl;dr: If Nintendo made the absolute effort to make sure everyone know about the Direct and its advantages, a lot more people would see it.

Yeah, it was posted here that they had a booth there.

Honestly, last year was probably the absolute worst year to back out. Both of their competitors showed off their new consoles to the world, and that was Nintendo's chance to beat them at their own game.

and with how awful that E3 was, it wouldn't have been hard.

Why does the change to the Nintendo Direct somehow signify that they 'backed out'? They didn't back out, they just changed the rules. Their main problem was that they didn't put enough effort into making sure everyone was aware of what they were actually doing.

Because they divided themselves from the event. That can come across as backing out, conceit, or any number of things.

E3 has been the centerpoint of game announcements for more than a decade, you can't just out of nowhere decide to hold an entirely separate conference.

Funny you should say that, that's what Nintendo had been doing for a while before last year's E3 came around.

Why should E3 be the be-all and end-all of gaming industry announcements? The closest thing any other medium has for that kind of event is Comic-Con, and even that is done multiple times a year, most of the time, works of other mediums are announced on their own, usually with a trailer. Why limit yourself to the status quo, especially in the age of the internet? Nintendo is pretty much, surprisingly, the most progressive company in this regard, they've realized that with the internet, they can announce their shit whenever they damn well please and the gaming media will do the rest of the work for them.

In a way, it is kinda more beneficial to game developers as well not to be limited by an expectation to show up at a certain event - creating demos for such events is surprisingly a time-consuming process that takes away from the development of the actual game (though that's sorta their fault for not making their games more modular so they can split things up easily when they need to).

• Thumbs Up 1

Would it help at all that this would be the second year running that they've had an E3 Direct instead of an E3 stage appearance?  I want to say yes, but if people didn't think Nintendo were at E3 last year, that's probably all they remember this year.

All I really think Nintendo can sensibly do is tread water and actually leverage their franchises rather than Mario This and Wii That U.  I'd say they could try and pitch the Wii U to developers as a console for lower-budget titles, but realistically, that's what handhelds are for, and it's probably part of the reason why the 3DS is doing so much better.

It certainly wouldn't have been as bad if they had allowed other websites to stream the direct for them. I remember listening to the Giant Bombcast and hearing how even the journalists were stuck watching a laggy as shit stream that constantly had to stop and buffer.

I also really hope this year's showing is more interesting than last year's "oh this again" showing. Was there even a single real surprise last year? Donkey Kong was one of the most disappointing surprises ever, Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, and Smash were all games we knew about. "Another Mario" was another Mario (and yes, I've played it and know it's a great game, but the stuff they showed off at E3 was really, really boring), and... I think that's it.

Hopefully they have something in store, but considering their current situation I can't imagine we're going to get much experimentation from them. The least I can personally hope for is for Zelda to actually interest me again. And a bunch of news on X.

Why limit yourself to the status quo, especially in the age of the internet? Nintendo is pretty much, surprisingly, the most progressive company in this regard, they've realized that with the internet, they can announce their shit whenever they damn well please and the gaming media will do the rest of the work for them.

Yes, but the problem here is that it doesn't quite work that way when

1. You funnel everyone who wants to watch into a single stream host, making it practically impossible to watch in the first place.

2. Nobody watches them apart from Nintendo fans.

Why throw away something that's worked for over a decade to be "progressive" when doing so gets you less viewers and less attention?

Heres a thought, Reggie shows up in a Captian Falcon costume and Photo-Bombs everyone elses conferences

They better not jump out of E3 this year. They can't afford to not show the goods.

And I don't just mean for Zelda & Smash, I mean for basically everything they have in store in the next year to year-and-a-half. They're gonna have to convince other gamers this is a console worth getting, and owners that they're not gonna spend this gen underwhelmed.

It kinda makes me wonder since Nintendo are announcing games through Nintendo direct is their any point for seeing them at E3 besides seeing people play the games on stage?

In regards to Nintendo at E3 14, they really should have a flat out press conference. Yes, their last ones weren't so great but it would be a great way for them to show off what they have in store for the Wii U and 3ds. To be frank, the Wii U needs some POSITIVE exposure after all the negativity surrounding the poor system, and its not like Nintendo can't hold their own against Microsoft and Sony (remember E3 07 with Mario Galalxy, Twilight Princess, Smash Brothers Brawl, Wii Sports and Metroid Prime 3? That wow us even though Sony and Microsoft showed off other games like Ratchet and Clank Future, Halo 3 and Uncharted...)

The Wii U can be salvaged as a great Nintendo Box, but in order to do that, gamers need to know that its worth buying and to see that, shove the system in their faces with Mario Galaxy caliber games at this years E3; it worked for the Wii happy.png.

In regards to Nintendo at E3 14, they really should have a flat out press conference. Yes, their last ones weren't so great but it would be a great way for them to show off what they have in store for the Wii U and 3ds. To be frank, the Wii U needs some POSITIVE exposure after all the negativity surrounding the poor system, and its not like Nintendo can't hold their own against Microsoft and Sony (remember E3 07 with Mario Galalxy, Twilight Princess, Smash Brothers Brawl, Wii Sports and Metroid Prime 3? That wow us even though Sony and Microsoft showed off other games like Ratchet and Clank Future, Halo 3 and Uncharted...)

The Wii U can be salvaged as a great Nintendo Box, but in order to do that, gamers need to know that its worth buying and to see that, shove the system in their faces with Mario Galaxy caliber games at this years E3; it worked for the Wii happy.png.

I agree with this, and honestly Nintendo has some major Titles coming up that are extremely impressive if presented right, Like Monolith Soft's X(it blows any other exclusive JRPG on other systems, wait a minute there arent any XD), SSB4(they really need a subtitle though), Hyrule Warriors, and a bunch of new titles too, like Zelda U, Starfox, F-zero, Metroid, or new IPS

The thing is though, do they have those huge games ready yet? The new Zelda, rebooted F-Zero, Star Fox, and the like would really make people buy Wii U's, but with them taking so long to get games to the system (look how long Wonderful 101, Mario 3d World and Pikmen 3 to come out....), I hope they are ready to show them off.

I would love it if they would revive some classic IP and give them to new developers outside of Nintendo like Obsidian/Level 5 getting Earthbound, Platinum getting Star Fox, some team in Sega getting F-Zero, Kid Icarus given to Treasure, or even Nintendo developing some exclusive 3rd party games like them developing a Wii U Mega Man or the 3rd exclusive Sonic being developed by the Galaxy team (that would turn some heads wink.png). Or Nintendo just doing some simple things to better the Wii U hardware (having more games use the dam GamePad if they are keeping it, having a account system, Sony-like Cross Buy with some VC tittles, ect). There is alot Nintendo could do....I just hope they do something at least unsure.png.

http://www.gamekicker.com/gaming-news/nintendo-now-the-least-powerful-gaming-companies-in-japan

To be expected considering the massive stock drops and such, but Nintendo's public image is dropping fast and as a result so are Nintendo's funds. They seriously need to start acting asap, where the hell is the damage control for things like this?

I've said it before I'll say it again, I'm relatively certain that if hackers can get a PC to stream on the Gamepad Nintendo should be able to put up digital eShop content within a minute's notice. Put up tons of great VC games for cheap asap, including N64 and GC games.

Damage control! Where!

• Thumbs Up 2

The thing is though, do they have those huge games ready yet? The new Zelda, rebooted F-Zero, Star Fox, and the like would really make people buy Wii U's, but with them taking so long to get games to the system (look how long Wonderful 101, Mario 3d World and Pikmen 3 to come out....), I hope they are ready to show them off.

I would love it if they would revive some classic IP and give them to new developers outside of Nintendo like Obsidian/Level 5 getting Earthbound, Platinum getting Star Fox, some team in Sega getting F-Zero, Kid Icarus given to Treasure, or even Nintendo developing some exclusive 3rd party games like them developing a Wii U Mega Man or the 3rd exclusive Sonic being developed by the Galaxy team (that would turn some heads wink.png). Or Nintendo just doing some simple things to better the Wii U hardware (having more games use the dam GamePad if they are keeping it, having a account system, Sony-like Cross Buy with some VC tittles, ect). There is alot Nintendo could do....I just hope they do something at least unsure.png.

What's there to reboot with F-Zero?

They better hurry up with the next Direct and just spill some beans / do some damage control already. This shit ain't good for them. =(

• Thumbs Up 1

I meant that it could be a potenal game Nintendo may be working on. Sorry if I confused you man :(; its been so long since the last F-Zero that a reboot may be need if a new one were to come out...

http://www.gamekicker.com/gaming-news/nintendo-now-the-least-powerful-gaming-companies-in-japan

To be expected considering the massive stock drops and such, but Nintendo's public image is dropping fast and as a result so are Nintendo's funds. They seriously need to start acting asap, where the hell is the damage control for things like this?

I've said it before I'll say it again, I'm relatively certain that if hackers can get a PC to stream on the Gamepad Nintendo should be able to put up digital eShop content within a minute's notice. Put up tons of great VC games for cheap asap, including N64 and GC games.

Damage control! Where!

Wow, Nintendo is a worse position than I thought....they really need to do something fast or the Wii U will end up being another Dreamcast :(.

It's just so frustrating to see Nintendo fall when they have so many aces in there sleve they could be using. They could license out some of their dead IP to western developers to get then to come on board the Wii U (or even giving them to top-tier Indie Developers), have a unified account system, have a PS+ like service (they have the library to do so via VC), and having more 3rd party games (even if you have to port it your self ala Sony's Vita ports of Borderlands 2, Epic Mickey 2 and Walking Dead). 

After years and years of the same crap with Nintendo systems and the promise the Wii U would not have them...its disheartening to see them happen yet again :(.

They killed black shadow and i think blood falcon

...How is Capcom more powerful than Nintendo?

While it scored almost perfectly on safety, profitability and growth were just terrible.

Something to do wit dat probably, Capcom is a lot less safe than Nintendo but is powerful for other things.

A better question: How is Bamco the #1 gaming company?

It's not that weird, they're the only big Japanese developer that is still doing things right by the industry and by their fans.

Ya something is very wrong with that list, especialy since the 3DS is a major powerhouse in Japan

but safety, growth, and profitability is what Capcom is fucking up at. How did they come to the conclusion that a company that's almost broke is more safe than Nintendo?

but safety, growth, and profitability is what Capcom is fucking up at. How did they come to the conclusion that a company that's almost broke is more safe than Nintendo?

Monster Hunter?