Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

I'm wondering; I heard of GB/GBA games preparing to be ported onto the WiiU. Since I like this idea, I was curious to know who else would play any GB/GBA games on their WiiU. Personally, I'd play any of the Pokémon games on the WiiU, especially if it were FireRed, LeafGreen, Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald. I'd play the Sonic Advance trilogy as well. I can't really recall having any other GBA games besides those and some crappy third-party games meant to pander to kids, but I remember GB games like Gargoyles and Pokémon: Crystal. Though I think GB games could be heavily pixelated on an HD TV, it could work just fine on the gamepad. It'd work especially well on GBA games, and Nintendo could make even more money. I just wanted others' thoughts on this possibility.

I finally got the Club Nintendo reward, I ended up getting the 2014 Calendar and Each month comes with it's own Nintendo picture. It's pretty nice. 

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--X_dfr7rsbA/UsdI6v5ZJaI/AAAAAAAAAFU/m76RVMNtRX8/w768-h576-no/Nintendo+2014+Calendar+Pic+2.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-XsLdWWtWt9w/UsdIgU7xHEI/AAAAAAAAAEs/VXA_FjcPAf4/w768-h576-no/Nintendo+2014+Calendar+Pic+1.jpg

Anyone else got any rewards

For some reason, Wii U is trending on Twitter right now. Absolutely no reason for it as well, always a good sign.

Depends on what the trend is.

"I bought a Wii U a few months ago, it's done a good job keeping dust off my TV #WiiU"

• Thumbs Up 4

"I bought a Wii U a few months ago, it's done a good job keeping dust off my TV #WiiU"

Could be worse.

The Wii U could had made the original Wii or an older console start trending, like the Xbone did with VCRs.

"My mom bought me a new door stop! #LoveYouMom #WiiU"

I need to address something real quick.

This shit needs to stop. There are no tiers in gaming. The game is either good or it's not.

Calling games with stupidly large budgets "AAA" is problematic for 2 big reasons:

1. It puts pressure on developers to waste as much money as they can on pointless shit to make them sound like hot stuff

2. It causes titles not considered "AAA" to be overshadowed by the mass market.

I'm tired of this modern tier system gamers use. I've played some of these so-called "AAA" titles and thought they were garbage.

Its simply what their considered in today's industry though, whatever game has the largest budget just ends up being called this and unfortunately I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

And that's a problem with the industry, it has been since the PS1 era.

Pretty much. When it comes to game development, playing with all the cool toys is neat and all, but someone needs to be the grown-up once in a while.

It refers to budget and marketing, not the quality of the game. Seeing as how three of my top five favorite games are anything but "AAA" I don't see how it hurts to have some kind of classification.

It'll pass, there have always been out-of-nowhere phrases to separate certain kinds of games that are for different kinds of people that are the hot topics. Last gen it was the "casual" "hardcore" split, which people don't talk about as much anymore. Now it seems like "AAA vs not AAA" is the in thing.

I think it's just topical talk more than anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

It refers to budget and marketing, not the quality of the game. Seeing as how three of my top five favorite games are anything but "AAA" I don't see how it hurts to have some kind of classification.

Because "AAA" is a term that refers to absolutely nothing other than quality. Unless it's a battery.

Whether intentional or not, it puts down games with smaller budgets.

And for clarification, I'm not attacking you Dissy, it's just something in general I have a beef with.

• Thumbs Up 1

"My mom bought me a new door stop! #LoveYouMom #WiiU"

Thought this was more appropriate to the 2DS... XD

And that's a problem with the industry, it has been since the PS1 era.

As much as many people would like to stop using these terms, it's difficult to get rid of them. We end up referring to them. Same thing goes to other terms: 'hardcore and casual', 'next-gen and last/current-gen'...

And mind you, I am not keen on how the media refers to these terms either. But in the topical form, it's difficult not to mention them in any conversation. It's a mentality that as much as me and many others would like to change, it's not gonna disappear soon and especially when they keep on bringing up even more differential terms. =/

• Thumbs Up 1

It'll pass, there have always been out-of-nowhere phrases to separate certain kinds of games that are for different kinds of people that are the hot topics. Last gen it was the "casual" "hardcore" split, which people don't talk about as much anymore. Now it seems like "AAA vs not AAA" is the in thing.

I think it's just topical talk more than anything.

Exactly.

The games industry is huge nowadays - there are several different audiences to cater to, a ton of different types of games, and a big difference in perception between games that are well marketed and budgeted versus games that are not. 

Because "AAA" is a term that refers to absolutely nothing other than quality. Unless it's a battery.

Whether intentional or not, it puts down games with smaller budgets.

And for clarification, I'm not attacking you Dissy, it's just something in general I have a beef with.

I get what you're saying, but that's just the term that gained traction. It's the games equivalent of a summer blockbuster and nothing more. I understand not liking the specific term itself, but I really do think that some kind of classifications are necessary.

Persona 4 is literally my favorite game of all time, but I really don't think it's in a similar category to something like The Last of Us in anything but the fact that they're both video games. When someone says they want a game that's grand in scale and pushes the hardware and all that, it's really not a game I would recommend. 

edit - wait what does this have to do with the wii u

I do think it's pretty unprofessional for the games industry to latch onto buzz-terms and treat them like they've always used that lingo before discarding it in favour of some other weird-ass definition system 5 years later, but the industry is still infantile so I can kinda forgive it.

It's not really because the market is infantile. The Movie industry has been around for nearly a decade and we still use terms like "B-rate" or "Blockbuster"

EDT: fuck you past me, I ment century

It's not really because the market is infantile. The Movie industry has been around for nearly a decade and we still use terms like "B-rate" or "Blockbuster"

Those are firm industry phrases now though, they've been around for decades and have set definitions and everything even if they're not exactly helpful.

It's inevitable that the games industry will end up with something similar long-term, but unlike film, "AAA" isn't the game industry's primary source of income by a large margin, tons of other "non-AAA" games sell better and well generally the playing field is a lot more balanced worldwide rather than being absolutely in America's favour 100% of the time like the film industry is lately.

Of course, it doesn't help that the games industry has virtually nothing to fill the gap between smaller-scale releases (indie, mobile, etc) and big-budget "AAA" releases. That is seriously not healthy for any industry, and it's effects are quite apparent. There has to be a middle ground at some point.

Of course, it doesn't help that the games industry has virtually nothing to fill the gap between smaller-scale releases (indie, mobile, etc) and big-budget "AAA" releases. That is seriously not healthy for any industry, and it's effects are quite apparent. There has to be a middle ground at some point.

For some developers at least. Some developers on the other hand are fine never going "AAA" but also not exactly making phone games all the time (Atlus, Nintendo and Namco for example)

EDT: fuck you past me, I ment century

Well, it doesn't help the game industry is assimilating the movie industry in some way or another...

EDIT:

edit - wait what does this have to do with the wii u

Suppose it was all because of the whole Nintendo IPs debate and how it evolved into which one is AAA and non-AAA. Not strictly related to the Wii U, but it was Nintendo-related in some way. Sooo yeah...

Anyway! Gotta bring something different on the table for discussion, and this one has been on for a few days I cannot believe we didn't mention it at all...

Namco Bandai launches Wii U Anime App

Only in Japan though. Over 580 shows (including Gundam and Sgt Frog), over 10,000 episodes, only 1050 Yen (£6/$10/7€) per month.

Dunno about you guys, but if only they ever brought this one overseas (or something similar) I'd consider giving it a go. Seems good as a little extra for the console.

Edited by Kaabiitorori

There is nothing wrong with these companies wanting to make AAA games like they are right now, but there is a problem when they spend way too much on thee games to where their sales expectations are astronomical to even break even on the game. Seeing all these games that get good reviews and decent sales but because they didn't sell something like 5 or 6 mill+ to even just break even and have them be considered failures is just ridiculous. Honestly, it seems to me usually there is a problem with people being able to do budgeting or people are very poor at doing forecasting on what their sales numbers will be when the game is released. Many of these big budget games are good, and some not so much. If you can't budget properly and have realistic expectations, then you are just going to lose money every time.

"You will not be able to check out my back room, I have my reasons"

O.O

"Could you screenshot each girl dead, don't ask plz"

WHAT

"Could you screenshot each girl dead, don't ask plz"

WHAT

I actually saw that guy's posts way back around Wii U launch, he kept commenting on the Ninja Gaiden community asking people to post screenshots of the girl characters dead in suggestive poses. Luckily I think he was banned.. genuinely creepy guy x-x

The fact that this post is in this ep of That's On Miiverse means he's probably looking on the internet for screenshots of bad deleted posts too.

• Thumbs Up 7

Well, I did it. I got the newfangled TV box with a mini screen square remote with a picture of that red plumber and green elf kid on it. It only cost me all of my leftover vacation savings. ;v;

I got the Zelda Deluxe bundle that came with Wind Waker HD and Hyrule Historia, and I also bought Mario 3D World to compliment it. Also purchased Art Academy Sketch Pad since it was really cheap, and I'm trying out Wii Fit U into smaller pants right now. 

This thing is just great. You can control the TV stations and volume while you're playing the game or watching YouTube, so that's really useful if you need to adjust the volume right quick. My roommate and I agree that this thing is fantastic. I haven't found much use for TVii (since we do not have any cable hooked up to any of our TVs) but the ability to stream Netflix and Hulu would be very useful for us. 

All in all, I'm delighted with this system. I'm just a little bothered that it cost me as much as it did. It's not that it isn't a fair price for the quality of the console, I'm just having buyer's remorse I guess, lol. It was kind of a "now or never" purchase. As time rolls buy, I think I'll get Nintendo Land and possibly Wonderful 101 when I save up some more. Plus, I have Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros 4, Donkey Kong and the inevitable new Zelda title to look forward to. 

• Thumbs Up 6