Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Some versions of Double Dash did actually. The earily versions apperently only had the "lan" mode. Theres still a (very small community) that plays double dash online. Its as small as the people who play Dreamcast online still XD

If you looked at games that were multi platformed games at the time, barley any noticeable between PS2- Xbox and GC. EVEN back then, the Xbox and PS2 had online, while the gamecube.... suffered greatly. It had many games, but it didn't go "far" at all when it came to online gaming (I think only double dash and some other game only made use of the GC online adatper but no one ever used it)

Yeah, Its always been Nintendo's policy to offer great gaming experiences very efficiently and cheaply. Online gaming back in the early 2000s on consoles were very expensive. Even in 2006 when Wii offered wireless gaming experiences online, it was not good as Microsoft's 360 because, like their policy, it was impossible at that time to deliver online gaming experiences that vast without paying a lot of $$$ for it. Now in 2012, The Wii U can do all of that and then some. I am hoping that Nintendo gets aggressive with the hardware power and online strategy.

Some versions of Double Dash did actually. The earily versions apperently only had the "lan" mode. Theres still a (very small community) that plays double dash online. Its as small as the people who play Dreamcast online still XD

Really? Looking it up, I see things that say an online mode was considered, but ultimately not included. You might be thinking of an unofficial online mode, because I know people were somehow able to get SSBM working online.

I believe Nintendo will get aggressive with the hardware. Look at Brawl, Metroid and Galaxy series. It used the Wii's power to the fullest. Whatever Nintendo makes, will use it to the full extent. (Expect online cause thats not really a hardware thing) Thats more like, if they will put money into servers ect.

Really? Looking it up, I see things that say an online mode was considered, but ultimately not included. You might be thinking of an unofficial online mode, because I know people were somehow able to get SSBM working online.

Oh I heard it was on some games and not. Unless they hacked the lan mode maybe I got confused there.

Edited by The Smexy Bat

I didn't know Gamecube had online. I also didn't know you could hack a game to get online. wacko.png

Edited by WhiteandNerdy-Hedgehog

I believe Nintendo will get aggressive with the hardware. Look at Brawl, Metroid and Galaxy series. It used the Wii's power to the fullest. Whatever Nintendo makes, will use it to the full extent. (Expect online cause thats not really a hardware thing) Thats more like, if they will put money into servers ect.

Nintendo needs to be aggressive with the new console right off the bat though. Both the Wii and the 3DS had really lackluster launches at the Wii-U can't afford that.

E3 this year Nintendo needs to come out and show some awesome first party content and it needs to show a lot of awesome third party content.

They need to show Mario HD this year and I think they need Metroid. Nintendo's so-called "kiddy" image has been a problem for some time and the Wii did nothing to help them in that department. They need an impressivetitle that shows off the system's capabilities while appealing directly to the "hardcore" gamers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't forget, third party support. If they can get Call of Duty 5 and the next ones (I know it will be in HD so thats no problem) and other third partiers on Nintendo's system the "kiddie" image might be lifted a few years from now IF its a constant thing.

Speaking of Call of Duty 5, do you think they'd go out of their way to make an inferior version for the Wii U while the Playstation 3 and XBox 360, less powerful, get the full version while the Wii U is the first next gen console out? It seems stupid, but if they really wanted to pan to their fanbase, they might. I'm certain someone's going to do it solely because of the kiddie image and hopefully take a ton of heat for it. But what if it's a game as critical as CoD 5?

That....or maybe since Wii U might be the "new cool item" on the block for an entire year, they might get the best stuff o.O? it depends on what the develepers think of it.

Speaking of Call of Duty 5, do you think they'd go out of their way to make an inferior version for the Wii U while the Playstation 3 and XBox 360, less powerful, get the full version while the Wii U is the first next gen console out? It seems stupid, but if they really wanted to pan to their fanbase, they might. I'm certain someone's going to do it solely because of the kiddie image and hopefully take a ton of heat for it. But what if it's a game as critical as CoD 5?

I know that the Wii U is significantly more powerful than the PS3, but what will happen when the PS4 and the Next X Box comes out? Can the games from the PS4 be run on Wii U on full power?

I know that the Wii U is significantly more powerful than the PS3, but what will happen when the PS4 and the Next X Box comes out? Can the games from the PS4 be run on Wii U on full power?

I would not be surprised if the next Playstation and XBox were comparable to the WiiU in power, to be honest, considering both Microsoft and Sony have both lost a metric ton of cash from this generation - next gen, I suspect they're not gonna risk selling their consoles at a loss.

I'm sorry, but when was it revealed that the Wii U is "significantly more powerful than the PS3"? I was under the impression that its power was either slightly less than the Xbox 360, generally comparable to that of the 360, or between it and the PS3, but definitely not (as I had at first hoped) significantly greater than Sony's product.

I'm sorry, but when was it revealed that the Wii U is "significantly more powerful than the PS3"? I was under the impression that its power was either slightly less than the Xbox 360, generally comparable to that of the 360, or between it and the PS3, but definitely not (as I had at first hoped) significantly greater than Sony's product.

Except the PS3 is the slightly more powerful one of the two. Just much more of a bitch to get to it.

And the Wii U is supposedly (and why wouldn't it be?) notably more powerful than both.

That was hacking the LAN mode to work over the internet like people did with the original Halo on the XBox. Not actual online play.

Edited by Tornado

http://mynintendonews.com/2011/09/25/nintendo-wii-u-thq-say-buying-wii-u-games-is-like-buying-blu-ray-over-a-standard-dvd/

You know, I think this generation is really going to be more focused around games than hardware this time, the only reason graphical prowess was a big deal this generation is because the Wii didn't offer. Because the Wii didn't offer, the competitors had a steady marketing campaign against the Wii. But now that the jump from 7th generation to 8th isn't going to see such a noticeable rise in graphical capabilities I expect this whole talk of graphics to just die away. If anything, this lack of comparison is just going to drive developers to make better gameplay experiences before, causing a massive surplus of competition, which shall in turn probably make for the 8th generation of games to be better than the 7th.

I'm pretty sure the Wii U will be miles ahead of the PS3 and 360. You do realize that the PS3 and 360 are 6-7 year-old technology right? Of course the WIi U will be significantly more powerful.

• Thumbs Up 1

The last time I paid any real attention to the power of the Wii U was many months ago, so I missed that piece from THQ. Thanks for the head's up though, I feel better about the machine now than I have in the past. I can't wait to see the line-up Nintendo will put on display at E3. I really like the demos they've had up at CES and the last E3; the cartoony Metroid shooty game makes me really want Super Smash Bros. to break away from being solely a Beat 'Em Up genre series. It could make an absolutely fantastic kart racer or shooter, or even a Wii Sports-like all-Nintendian minigame-fest.

I buy a console for the games it provides, not for the graphics. If it does happen to have great high-end graphics, that just happens to be a bonus. That's one of the primary reasons why I ultimately bought a PS3 instead of a 360. So, unless Wii U has enough games being released that catch my interest, regardless of its graphics, price or other fancy stuff, I'm not going for it. Heck, I won't even buy a PS Vita or 3DS for the same reasons.

Edited by eXtaticus

... the cartoony Metroid shooty game makes me really want Super Smash Bros. to break away from being solely a Beat 'Em Up genre series. It could make an absolutely fantastic kart racer or shooter, or even a Wii Sports-like all-Nintendian minigame-fest.

You're being sarcastic right?

Nope, I've been an advocate of Smash Bros. branching into different genres for years.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nope, I've been an advocate of Smash Bros. branching into different genres for years.

But I like Super Smash Bros. the way it is as a beat up game. I don't want it to go away from that. As great the game title will be (Super Smash Bros. Racing) we do have Mario Kart and they will never quit on that franchise.

Also this is a personal thing but I hate shooters with a passion. There are too many shooters this generation, we don't need another.

Edited by Spice on the Starlight

But I like Super Smash Bros. the way it is as a beat up game. I don't want it to go away from that. As great the game title will be (Super Smash Bros. Racing) we do have Mario Kart and they will never quit on that franchise.

Also this is a personal thing but I hate shooters with a passion. There are too many shooters this generation, we don't need another.

And it can stay a fighting game. But I don't see why it can't do other things, too. I'd love to see a Super Smash Racing.