Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Soooooo basically, there was no point to that interview? Why bother doing interviews if you've literally got absolutely no new information whatsoever to reveal?

Lol sorry. I didn't watch it, but for some reason expected something new. I'll delete myself now.

*walks to the corner of the room and sits down in shame*

I suppose it is preferable to their "build hype and announce games that aren't even in the planning stage at this point" platform that they used for the 3DS.

• Thumbs Up 3

Console looks exactly like the Wii. Naturally, he controller is STATED to be the only point of differentiation they're going to press. Reggie's brilliant strategy.

"So it's just like the 3DS, with that little extra screen"

"Yes!"

No!

Reggie, i wish you actually knew a darn thing about, um, Nintendo. You're gonna give the Wii U the 3DS is just another DS complex by making the Wii U just a Wii upgrade to make it into a DS.

Edited by santalord767

I never understood why people like Reggie so much (unless if its a joke or something), because he never actually says anything that means anything. Granted I haven't seen all the Key-notes he's delivered, but the last few were just him waffling on about how the "hardcore" gamer needs to be pleased and how this new system will resolve the issue of "casual-centric" games that plagued the DS and Wii.

Well thats at least what I absorbed from his speeches.

Its no different in this interveiw.

I never understood why people like Reggie so much (unless if its a joke or something), because he never actually says anything that means anything. Granted I haven't seen all the Key-notes he's delivered, but the last few were just him waffling on about how the "hardcore" gamer needs to be pleased and how this new system will resolve the issue of "casual-centric" games that plagued the DS and Wii.

but but but but his body is ready to kick ass and take names and making games.

I believe his popularity soared in 2006 when the Wii was actually a huge deal at the time, not to mention his favorite phrase, "Kicking ass and taking names."

Edit: Whoops dear, am I late.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

Whatever the Wii U does, I hope it has a very aggressive online strategy and hardware specs as powerful as the upcoming Xbox and the PS4, so that the 3rd party companies will actually give it a chance.

• Thumbs Up 2

Got some updates for the Wii-U. Mostly old stuff with some new sprinkles (eating ice cream now).

First off, Some important things Reggie said at CES about the Wii-U. Nothing really new, but some interesting things.

- Will come out between E3 and end of 2012

- when asked about surprise launch at E3, Reggie says 'Who knows?'

- Wii U news throughout the year, not just at E3

- won't confirm a new Mario game, but says it might be early in the Wii-U's lifetime (2013/2014 maybe)

- 90 million Wii units sold worldwide

- want a broader, larger audience with Wii U

- full range of different entertainment on Wii U (interesting, maybe this means Nintendo won't focus on the games only this time)

- not talking launch lineup or date today

- reconfirms that Mr. Miyamoto is working on something new, didn't specifically say Wii U (wierd)

- making sure they'll have great stuff for launch day and launch window of Wii U (Don't wanna make a repeat of the 3DS.)

- Nintendo doesn't care what gaming competitors are doing

- they want to drive a great, new experience with Wii U that have consumers ready to buy

- everyone is taking motion gaming for granted now, Reggie says

One thing I wanna point out is that we will recieve more Wii-U news throughout the year instead of all at E3. Maybe they might have a little mini confrence like the 3ds or something. We'll see.

Another thing Reggie said at CEs is that while the system has a unique controller, and HD entertainment, it certainly isn't enough.

"Yes, the system is HD capable; it'll generate the most gorgeous pictures. But for us that's not enough.

"We need to continue pushing the overall experience forward. We need to bring new types of entertainment. New types of gaming and the combination of a big first screen -- your home TV -- coupled with a second screen in your hands, in our view, is going to bring gaming to a whole new experience and to continue driving the industry."

Finally we have a video that shows off Panarama view, and while the name sounds like something off Futurama, it's a neat camera trick.

The T.V. is showing off the main game doing something (like driving) while the Wii-U controller shows off another camera that allows you to look off pretty much anywhere else while the T.V. is focused on doing the main action. Looks pretty neat.

Edited by Nintendoga

- Nintendo doesn't care what gaming competitors are doing

Stay classy Nintendo. You better hope it doesn't blow up in your face. For the third time.

• Thumbs Up 1

It worked with the Wii.

It absolutely didn't work with the N64 or Gamecube, which are far more relevant for reasons that have been beaten to death several times in this thread.

Edited by Tornado

You could argue it worked with Gamecube since it came in second worldwide and Nintendo turned a tidy profit. That's sort of all a company cares about. N64, though? That was a disaster for sure.

XBAWKS outsold the Gamecube despite going out of production a year earlier. To say nothing about how terrible support for the thing was before 2003 was even over, when developers started releasing ports of games developed on the XBox that were even worse than the versions that ended up on the PS2.

Sure, from Nintendo's point of view, who cares. But they would be well served to cut that shit out when they have gone on record as trying to win back support of people who abandoned them within the last decade. I mean, hell, half of those Reggie talking points contradict each other.

Edited by Tornado

XBAWKS outsold the Gamecube despite going out of production a year earlier. To say nothing about how terrible support for the thing was before 2003 was even over, when developers started releasing ports of games developed on the XBox that were even worse than the versions that ended up on the PS2.

Sure, from Nintendo's point of view, who cares. But they would be well served to cut that shit out when they have gone on record as trying to win back support of people who abandoned them within the last decade. I mean, hell, half of those Reggie talking points contradict each other.

And the funny thing is that the Gamecube was pretty powerful and no one gave a rats ass. The Wii? Not enough power :lol:

And the funny thing is that the Gamecube was pretty powerful and no one gave a rats ass. The Wii? Not enough power laugh.png

No one gave a rat's ass about the Gamecube's "power" because it was on par with the other consoles at the time, so there wasn't that much to discuss or complain about unless you wanted to get into specifics. Meanwhile, the Wii was at least half a generation behind the PS3 and 360 in terms of "power", so understandably, people gave a rats ass and complained.

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually, the PS2 was a crock of shit while the Xbox and Gamecube were significantly more powerful. Anyone could tell that.

Edited by Hero Of Fate
  • Thumbs Up 1

Actually, the PS2 was a crock of shit while the Xbox and Gamecube were significantly more powerful. Anyone could tell that.

I never did.

Then again, I never owned an X-Box. PS2 sometimes got the short straw when it came to graphics in cross-platform games, but the difference was usually if not always negligible. Old PS2 games had terrible load times, but that was eventually fixed as well.

Sooo basically they are going to show off that tech demo until they decide to give us a sample of what it can really do. (GIVE ME A REAL DEMO)

Sooo basically they are going to show off that tech demo until they decide to give us a sample of what it can really do. (GIVE ME A REAL DEMO)

Edited by Ekaje

3rd Party developers need to stop thinking about the quick buck at least a few times and start innovating again. There were too many 1st person shooters in the 7th generation of gaming.

You say that like it's something new. There have always been tons of games influenced what's popular at the time. Back in the 90s, everyone was trying to make their own mascot platformer. Now everyone is trying to make a FPS because of CoD's current popularity.

Edited by Ekaje

3rd Party developers need to stop thinking about the quick buck at least a few times and start innovating again. There were too many 1st person shooters in the 7th generation of gaming.

Not to mention the GTA-clone fad of the 6th gen. That got old as well imo.

Early 2000s it was 3rd person shooters.

Oops, Tornado already covered it.

Edited by Inferno

If you looked at games that were multi platformed games at the time, barley any noticeable between PS2- Xbox and GC. EVEN back then, the Xbox and PS2 had online, while the gamecube.... suffered greatly. It had many games, but it didn't go "far" at all when it came to online gaming (I think only double dash and some other game only made use of the GC online adatper but no one ever used it)

Did Double Dash have online? I only remember it having a LAN mode. The only game that used the adapter I can think of off the top of my head was PSO. Nintendo has a thing with creating accessories that only ever get used with a few games (e-Reader, GBA Link Cables, WiiSpeak, etc.).

Edited by Ekaje