Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

It doesn't.

Eh, even so, I buy a game console for, well, GAMES! Stuff like playing DVDs on consoles should be nearly less than secondary on what a game console should and would do. Why is this such a d@mn issue? People can still watch movies through freakin' Netflix anyway, and better than fumbling around with discs by switching them. Not to mention that they are clearly focusing on games more so than anything else. I say that this is just blatant console war/Anti-Nintendo bashing at most. Besides, I hardly ever use my gaming consoles for purposes other than gaming. Gamers these are such d@mn nitpickers with things like these days. 'Oh N1nt3nd0 WiiU do3$N't do DVDS! IT SUXXORS NOW!!!!'

...Sorry, my Nintendo fanboyism is talking and I just hate console wars. It spawns the worst in people.

• Thumbs Up 2

I buy game consoles primarily for games yes.

But I also fucking love my all in one game, blu-ray and DVD player.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't even use the PS3 for blu rays, probably because it's in my room and I'd rather watch a movie on the couch. Netflix is a must. It'll have that, Wii does.

I'm just saying if you want me to trade in my 360/PS3 in for a Wii U it better have the same features my old console had.

I know game consoles are for games, but you want to know a secret. I don't have a true stand-alone DVD player. I couldn't care less about Blu-ray, but a DVD player can't be THAT much expensive to add on in this day and age.

• Thumbs Up 3

Stupid? Including DVD playback functionality is COMPLETELY POINTLESS. Everyone and their dog has a DVD player in some shape or form, for pete's sake, I cannot fathom how a game console not having DVD playback is actually an issue in this day and age.

I haven't had a DVD player since I sold my Xbox 360.

>DVD player

>In game console

>Pointless

NOPE.jpg

There are actually 2 USB ports at the back there and another 2 USB ports next to the SD card slot behind the front panel.

The guy in that video is retarded if he really doesn't know what the other two ports are for (sensor bar/ac input) alas I stand corrected, although in those screenshots I personally couldn't see the second.

I'm just pissed about how people are losing their nuts because the Wii U doesn't have a particular feature and some of the morons saying that this 'will be their downfall and they will fail'. Then again the Wii didn't have that kind of DVD or Blu-Ray playability function when it first launched and I didn't hear much complaint about that or barely remember it. Not to mention how the console was still a major success in-spite of it. It'll probably be the same as it is here.

Edited by AdventChild

Eh, even so, I buy a game console for, well, GAMES! Stuff like playing DVDs on consoles should be nearly less than secondary on what a game console should and would do. Why is this such a d@mn issue?

Statements like this simply tell me that you haven't been paying attention to anything Sony or Microsoft have been doing for the past 3 years or so.

Then again the Wii didn't have that kind of DVD or Blu-Ray playability function when it first launched and I didn't hear much complaint about that or barely remember it. Not to mention how the console was still a major success in-spite of it. It'll probably be the same as it is here.

To be frank, this isn't even remotely the same situation.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Apparently, there are proper games that could have been demonstrated at E3, however they're being developed on underclocked hardware and therefore didn't look, graphically, very much better than their current gen equivalents. Hmm...

http://kotaku.com/5812391/report-developers-working-with-underclocked-wii-u-hardware

Developers have underclocked development kits, and worked hard to deliver titles running on that hardware to demonstrate live at E3. However, due to titles not looking much better than what is currently available on Xbox 360 and the PS3, Nintendo decided late in the game to not show those titles and focus instead on tech demos. In particular, THQ stated that Darksiders II was running on development hardware and could have been shown. Also, Epic vice president Mark Rein tweeted during E3 that Gearbox's Aliens: Colonial Marines was being made for Wii U with Unreal Engine 3, showing that Epic is bringing its tech to Wii U.

Is it their choice to underclock? Will they be.. regularly clocked by time of release? What's going on?

Edit: I have been informed that the development kits aren't going to be actual hardware, just what Nintendo thinks will be close enough to the final spec (an approximation if you will). So, if the developers are underclocking their dev kits, the hardware used in said development kits must be faster than what Nintendo is targeting for the finalised hardware.

I think that's what Microsoft did with the original XBox. Instead of real hardware, Microsoft gave developers PCs of the closest equivalent to the initial specs that Microsoft had planned for the system.

Edited by Tornado

Wait, why is it that the development kits often have lower specs than that of the released system?

Isn't the inverse true for almost ALL types of technology? :D

Wait, why is it that the development kits often have lower specs than that of the released system?

They usually don't (for example, the original PS3 SDKs were notably more powerful than the actual console so developers could get used to the complexity of the architecture).

But when you haven't finalized the hardware, you might as well lowball the system power. The launch games aren't going to be that impressive anyways, and you don't want to get developers to rely on hardware power that won't be there for the final system.

Edited by Tornado

The Wii U made a brief appearance on Jimmy Fallon last night

No gameplay footage shown though.

Nintendo sure has balls walking around with the Wii 2. You would think that they'd leave it in the office instead.

The Sun newspaper is reporting the Wii U as a new controller for the Wii.

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=161156

I can just see more members of the press and the public getting confused like this. Nintendo's going to have to present it better in the future and differentiate it when marketing it.

Woah....that's no good. Nintendo get on your job and correct these people. Wii U(2) is a new console getting prepared to rock the next generation of gaming. Not some rip off controller.

Casual gamers, the core of the existing Wii base, are going to be so confused by this.

Just change the name to Wii 2.

Considering there were (and still are) people who don't understand that the 3DS isn't a DS revision, this shows why it was a bad move to name it WiiU, as well as not showing the "box" off. Some people are going to think it's just a controller and possibly a redesigned system at first.

Edited by Ekaje

Casual gamers, the core of the existing Wii base, are going to be so confused by this.

Just change the name to Wii 2.

I think Stream would have been a pretty good name. It makes sense to what the Main Attention of the System is.

*insert inappropriate joke about urine here*

Okay, because of that, I can never think of Nintendo Stream or Nintendo Wii Stream the same way ever again.

I think Stream would have been a pretty good name. It makes sense to what the Main Attention of the System is.

Yeah, I like the name too, but I understand why Nintendo stuck with the "Wii" name.

If Nintendo was planning on abandonment casuals completely then dropping the Wii brand would make sense, but they're planning on catering to all gamers. Hardcore gamers won't care what the system is called as long as the games are good, but branding is important to keeping the casual audience.

For the same reason though, calling it the Wii U is stupid. Wii U isn't blunt enough, Nintendo has to make it clear to people who don't follow this sort of thing closely that this is a completely new console.

Yeah, I like the name too, but I understand why Nintendo stuck with the "Wii" name.

If Nintendo was planning on abandonment casuals completely then dropping the Wii brand would make sense, but they're planning on catering to all gamers. Hardcore gamers won't care what the system is called as long as the games are good, but branding is important to keeping the casual audience.

For the same reason though, calling it the Wii U is stupid. Wii U isn't blunt enough, Nintendo has to make it clear to people who don't follow this sort of thing closely that this is a completely new console.

How about Wii Stream tough? Or would that be overcrowded? They do have Wii Fit,Party and the like...

And I don't see how the System would be a major success at all tough. The Message with Wii,3DS was blunt and clear. But the U Controller...I dunno how they are gonna market this, especially seems it's more like a bunch of features rather than a clear focus like with the Wii.

I actually can see a Call of Duty game on the Wii U - IF DONE RIGHT -

The Wii U screen could work as the radar, and when you activate the Spy Plane the enemies show up on it as it normally does.

Anyway, no DVD playback? My ass. Hackers will find a way to hack the Wii U like they did with the Wii 1.0 and add DVD Playback as it has right now (WiiMC)

How about Wii Stream tough? Or would that be overcrowded? They do have Wii Fit,Party and the like...

Your comparison to Wii Fit just highlights exactly what is wrong with calling it the Wii U or the Wii Stream.

Since the launch of the Wii, Nintendo has been releasing peripherals and upgrades like Wii Fit or Wii MotionPlus. There will be casual gamers who will immediately assume that the Wii U or the Wii Stream is just the same sort of thing. They won't realize it's a new console because none of these other similarly named things were new consoles.

Wii2 leaves much less room for confusion. Is it as an exciting name as the Nintendo Stream? No. It's bland, but that's the point. Like I said, Nintendo needs to be take a sort of in-your-face approach with the fact that this is a NEW CONSOLE not another accessory.