Awoo.

Sonic Generations: Special E3 Topic [[UPD: E3 Trailer | 3DS Gameplay] Go watched City Escape Videos]]

Woun

Wait, you're actually Johnny from the BSC? OMG, I'm one of your biggest fans! ^__^

Me too ^^ BSC and the SuperGamingBros are so awesome. I make sure to comment on almost all their videos XD

Yea but Destructiod is well known for rating amazing games low scores. Like for example they rated LittleBigPlanet 2 at 7.0. WTF

Really?! WTF that game doesn't deserve a score below 8.5

Anyway i'm pretty sure he's doing that tp get a few free stuff from Sega :P but enough of that.

I never read or make decisions on others opinions. Especially when those others aren't people who don't know me and i don't know them.

I always play the game for myself to see if i like it or not. Ex: Sonic 4 has no physics etc etc. At first i thought this game is going to bomb but guess what i liked the game and played to my hearts content.

Edited by Michael Michaelides

Well jim did give Sonic colors the same score as assassins creed 2 so those two are equal in quality. Maybe generations will be as good as another best seller. And also coincidence that both colors and creed have the same voice actor for the main character? :huh:

Edited by dudehedgehogfan1996

Yea but Destructiod is well known for rating amazing games low scores. Like for example they rated LittleBigPlanet 2 at 7.0. WTF

It's a good information site, but it's a crap review site. This is coming from a member of Destructoid.

And also coincidence that both colors and creed have the same voice actor for the man character? :huh:

:blink:

You've convinced me. Roger Craig Smith is the bane of Sterling's existance, much like Nolan North to yahtzee.

Edited by Balding Spider

The Virtual Boy begs to differ

What are you talking about that console was GREAT

Alright. lets get this shit out of the way:

Classic Sonic:

He's heavier than Modern Sonic. A lot heavier. This takes some getting use to but after a while you get a hang of it. Jumping is a lot better than its ever been since the Genesis days. It's not perfect but it's not Sonic Rush either. Bouncing off badniks functions more like a double jump than it did in the original game. No matter how high you bounce on them from you always jump back at a fixed height. I actually like this change because it was used extensively in the level design. Now my second biggest problem is the rolling.

Like I said before, it's completely useless. It shouldn't even be there if that's how its going to work. I tried numerous the demo numerous times to try and in numerous locations. I tried it the Genesis way and the Sonic 4 way (hold forward while rolling) and no matter what, Sonic would eventually slow down. I found a sweet ass steep hill with a loop there and tried rolling. Still nothing. It's worthless and you're better off spin-dash canceling than rolling if you want to go down those hills fast.

My biggest problem with the game is not the controls. It's the scripted events. I'm sure we've all seen numerous videos where Sonic goes down the S Tube, runs over a crumbling floor, hits a yellow spring and is launched back down into the pit to hit another spring. I'm sure a lot of us thought we could hit that but unfortunately its scripted and there is no way out of it. Another event happens at loop before the mountain. A lot of the springs in the game are fixed as well. Jumping on them causes your horizontal control to be locked until a certain point so you can't get that extra distance from the climb up that you normally would. This was very annoying in one section of the level where you hit a yellow spring to get to a swinging platform above you, but just to the right of you there's a breakable platform you can run on and use to get to another spring that will let you get past the platform section. These fixed events are annoying and just take control away along with the enjoyment.

I didn't get to try out Modern Sonic too much but it felt like a much more refined version of Unleashed and that's a good thing.

If they can reduce the number of scripted events and make rolling on its own actually useful then Classic Sonic would be absolutely perfect. It may not be Genesis Perfect but it's damn close and damn well enjoyable. Pre-ordering the shit out of it.

P.S: 3D Mode is awful. Don't try it. The game runs at an awful frame rate and there's input delay. Avoid it at all cost.

Some change is good. Awesome. While the rebounding from the classics was awesome, it's cool that this new method is more usable.

Fix it SEGA. FIX IIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTT!

That's... annoying. One of two scripted events is fine, but that deal with the S tube and the spring is unnecessary.

Excellent

I wonder if that'll get refined before release?

• Thumbs Up 1

The Virtual Boy begs to differ

Miyamoto didn't make the Virtual Boy.

It's a good information site, but it's a crap review site. This is coming from a member of Destructoid.

Agreed! Also talking about release dates...

I like how Sega is going against blockbuster games and puts Sonic Generations in the same month as Uncharted 3, Assassin's Creed Revelations, CoD:MW3, The Elder Scrolls.

They have balls and they showing that they have faith in their fans. Even though Sonic games pick up slow.

Sonic colours started kinda slow but mangaed to sold over 2.15million copies.

Wait it seems Jim is hating on the game more than his other sonic game previews so this game could be really good. Just noticed that. :P

Agreed! Also talking about release dates...

I like how Sega is going against blockbuster games and puts Sonic Generations in the same month as Uncharted 3, Assassin's Creed Revelations, CoD:MW3, The Elder Scrolls. They have balls and they showing that they have faith in their fans. Even though Sonic games pick up slow.

More like they're puting faith in the Christmas market. It always works.

Some change is good. Awesome. While the rebounding from the classics was awesome, it's cool that this new method is more usable.

Fix it SEGA. FIX IIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTT!

That's... annoying. One of two scripted events is fine, but that deal with the S tube and the spring is unnecessary.

Excellent

I wonder if that'll get refined before release?

As long as we provide adequate feedback from SOS and Sonic Boom, then I'm sure this will get dealt with.

After all this is the 20th anniversary and they appear to be doing it for the fans. To be honest, the rolling is the only substantial problem I want resolved. The scripted events I hope will go away as the engine is refined.

But there is no harm in going over to SOS and letting the community crew that happens to be there, what the problems are.

Side note:

I hate it when press and people go to a gaming event, play something. Say that it was cool and great to the community managers, and then complain about it on the internet. Then finally bitch about that problem being unresolved in the final version. Look the community managers are usually there to take up info to make the game better. If you don't tell them what you think a problem is, they ain't gonna fix it.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'll forgive them for the rolling thing for now considering that they're still waiting on fan input, but the automation sections sound plain inexcusable. Good to hear that even with those issues though, a true retro Sonic fan can still say it was an absolute blast to play. Isn't that an amazing thing to hear?

Still Sega, for srs, fix those two things and everything about Generations will be gifted with the Midas Touch.

More like they're puting faith in the Christmas market. It always works.

Well that too. :D

I'll forgive them for the rolling thing for now considering that they're still waiting on fan input, but the automation sections sound plain inexcusable. Good to hear that even with those issues though, a true retro Sonic fan can still say it was an absolute blast to play. Isn't that an amazing thing to hear?

Still Sega, for srs, fix those two things and everything about Generations will be gifted with the Midas Touch.

Considering there will be a DEMO released on XBLA and PSN soon, we will all be able to thoroughly test each gameplay type to our hearts content, then promptly report it back to people like Ruby Eclipse. If the DEMO gets released before SOS, then that would be ideal. That way we can all test the game to the point of breaking, and then us lot in the UK can relay it back to the Community Managers present at SOS.

EDIT:

I just had a thought. Perhaps the scripted events are a result of the unfinished gameplay engine. I mean the excess rolling physics would explain the automated S-tubes. If the engine was finished, they wouldn't need it to be automated, but seeing as the engine is still unfinished, they may have put it in there to prevent players from rolling down the tube a snails pace. Maybe this was obvious all along, but you know, its a possibility.

If so then resolving the engine, specifically the rolling issues, may automatically deal with the scripted events, because they are no longer needed for the game to work properly

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well Ign's live thing with Generations is gonna be coming. Uh about 20mins from now. Better get your chairs and popcorn ready.

Well Ign's live thing with Generations is gonna be coming. Uh about 20mins from now. Better get your chairs and popcorn ready.

Wait wut?

The S tubes and the spindash have always looked iffy and the former too automated from the get go.

But all they really need to do (primarily) is fix the rolling so that it isn't so..... stiff? And just remove the automation on the tubes (aside from giving the player a little push if they stop rolling while inside).

That and give the spindash varying charge strength. It can work actually. If the charging was more like the classics/Adventures, they can make it so that manual charging would charge faster, it charging as fast as the player can mash the jump button, and auto charging would have a slower charger, it gradually increasing in strength.

So think of it like this, while auto charging could be done while running, it'd require a few seconds of charging to dash off faster, doing it instantly would essentially be the same as rolling into a ball while running, the manual charge would let you dash at full speed faster, but would, obviously, require you to stop to crouch.

I just had a thought. Perhaps the scripted events are a result of the unfinished gameplay engine. I mean the excess rolling physics would explain the automated S-tubes. If the engine was finished, they wouldn't need it to be automated, but seeing as the engine is still unfinished, they may have put it in there to prevent players from rolling down the tube a snails pace. Maybe this was obvious all along, but you know, its a possibility.

If so then resolving the engine, specifically the rolling issues, may automatically deal with the scripted events, because they are no longer needed for the game to work properly

If that was actually the case, then I'd say Sonic Team has some serious priority issues. The physics of your game should be the very first thing you work on. You don't make racetracks like Mario Kart, but then make the game play like F-Zero.

Buuuuut, considering how not even Sonic 4 had automated S-tubes (at least I THINK it didn't have them) then I'd expect this would be a logical explanation.

Edited by Black Spy

*starts video* I don't care about the green lanturn movie I want to see games!

All I'm seeing is a Mario Kart trailer (previously a Mario 3DS trailer).

Edited by Tatsumaki

Oh yay.... Mass effect 3 with kinect. woo hoo... <_<

The host said Generations will be coming along soon after a break. I suggest you stay in the stream, as you know how random live shows are.

Edited by Blue Blood