Awoo.

How Should The Story For The Next Sonic Game Be?

CanofEpicSauce

I don't see how it's like DB. The only similarity between Colors and DB are that they're both comedies.

Edited by marcellof

I'm with Chaos Rush and marcellof on this one. If your gonna write humor into a script, actually MAKE IT HUMOROUS, and learn to take a situation seriously when shit hits the fan. Sonic is a cartoony character, but that doesn't mean his stories have to have the same level of tension as Sesame Street.

Colors was pretty much the antithesis of Sonic 06's story. 06 was uber dark 'n srs, while Colors just needs to grow the fuck up. There was quite a lot of great opportunities for some humor, but it all falls flat by having the majority of the cutscenes have Sonic talking to a non-speaking robot, and at many times, to the point where it's as if the robot is actually responding, but only Sonic can understand or hear it.

Except it's not saying anything, and Sonic is a schizophrenic.

Eggman brainwashes Tails. Great, some actual TENSION, maybe Eggman might kidnap him and use him as a meat shield for his next boss- oh wait it ran outta juice nvmnd.

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 3

Except it's not saying anything, and Sonic is a schizophrenic.

Edited by RootingForTheEmpire

Eggman brainwashes Tails. Great, some actual TENSION, maybe Eggman might kidnap him and use him as a meat shield for his next boss- oh wait it ran outta juice nvmnd.

Thanks for ruining a perfectly good plot.

Oh, GOD, this! That was the best mini-plot in the game. The idea was FANTASTIC and could've led into some great character development.

The fact that they cut it off for the sake of keeping the story "lighthearted" made me hit my head on the table. Come ON! When you have a good idea, USE IT!

:angry:

Someone needs to rewrite the script of the protagonists of Colors, because of how shallow the writing and "characterization" were.

It's not like Sonic hasn't been shown as a wise-cracking jackass before. Sonic and the Black Knight was only released a few years ago.
Ditto, except Sonic from Black Knight was written WELL and wasn't deplorably "characterized." "Sonic" from Colors Wii was some of the worst characterization I've seen in the games; Next Gen!Sonic was more in character, and there were some REALLY O.O.C. moments there. Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I didn't find most of the Sonic Colors dialogue to be cringe-worthy, but it was definitely in the realm of lame. Of course, it was hard to care about this when the gameplay was so good, so it kinda passed by on me. The clobbering scene however had to be the worst scene ever. You could tell how forced that was, which sucks because I actually like the new voice for Sonic.

I really liked the dialogue for the final stage though. It's pretty much everything I expected in terms of epicness. Sonic "sacrificing" himself (we knew he would get off the ship somehow) to take on the final boss in such an epic display really got my nerves going. Then the last part of the stage where you're racing to get off the ship before Sonic is caught in the explosion was quite grand. Despite all the malarkey Sonic Colors had before it, the final stage was a masterpiece.

The plot doesn't need to be complex. Colors is really one of those plots that just serves the purpose of just being there, and it showed it can be intense, granted it was towards the end. Personally though I'm a fan of the Storybook plots. The adventure series, as much as I loved them, does have a problem with forcing you to play 15+ characters. Heroes was far too cheesy, ShTH was too open and full of plotholes, and Sonic 06 tried too damn hard to be serious. SatSR or SatBK are the way to go.

When it comes to Sonic games, the one thing I find they lack in their stories is a good balance of serious plot & light-hearted fun stuff. So far Sonic's 3D outings have either been too far to one end of the spectrum or the other; either being incredibly dark & serious with no real humor, or not taking itself seriously (I DO however consent to the fact that Sonic Adventure had the balance down pat in the art-style & overall tone of the game, but it doesn't as far as I'm concerned as it was VERY badly acted).

Sonic Unleashed was the closest to the balance I have been looking for in a Sonic game's story, IMPO, but its dark overtone seemed to prevade a BIT more than it should have; what with the whole Werehog/Dark Gaia/world split into pieces deal going on. Not to mention that the story, while better written than previous titles were, just still fell short of greatness.

Sonic Colors was more well-written than Unleashed was, IMPO, but once again falls FAR to far on the light-hearted side of the spectrum.

The adventure series, as much as I loved them, does have a problem with forcing you to play 15+ characters.

That's not a problem with the story, that's a problem with the gameplay.

That's not a problem with the story, that's a problem with the gameplay.

Partially. The fact that the Adventure series gave each character one fraction of the story, forces you to play them, then have a final story after all characters are played 100% is actually a problem with the concept.

Partially. The fact that the Adventure series gave each character one fraction of the story, forces you to play them, then have a final story after all characters are played 100% is actually a problem with the concept.

Not necessarily. I believe we can have a story just like the Adventure games all with one character. Shadow the Hedgehog kinda tried for something like Sonic Adventure 2 (although, there technically are multiple stories in ShTH...). Likewise, I'm sure something like SA2 could be pulled off with only one story, without a doubt.

Not necessarily. I believe we can have a story just like the Adventure games all with one character. Shadow the Hedgehog kinda tried for something like Sonic Adventure 2 (although, there technically are multiple stories in ShTH...). Likewise, I'm sure something like SA2 could be pulled off with only one story, without a doubt.

I'm assuming you mean the mood of SA2 (because seeing Sonic do speed levels, treasure hunting, and shooting things in a mech is too amusing), in which yes I agree. Those closest we had to that is Unleashed, but the plot wasn't as engaging as SA2. The problem with this though is I'm sure people are tired of the "Sonic, and Sonic only" formula at this point.

I'm assuming you mean the mood of SA2 (because seeing Sonic do speed levels, treasure hunting, and shooting things in a mech is too amusing), in which yes I agree. Those closest we had to that is Unleashed, but the plot wasn't as engaging as SA2. The problem with this though is I'm sure people are tired of the "Sonic, and Sonic only" formula at this point.

Definitely, those things are gameplay things. Anyway, yeah, a story as engaging as SA2 can be done with only one storyline. Sonic could interact with tons of characters and make a very interesting storyline out of yet. Unleashed kinda shows some potential, but yea, the story isn't the greatest. I think there could also be cutscenes without Sonic in them, like in Unleashed how there were some Eggman only scenes. Of course, they'd have to be kept at a minimum.

• 3 weeks later...

I want something that won't make me wanna skip the cutscenes, I do admit Sonic had some pretty awesome lines in Colors("Im gonna mess you up" and the receding line) but they're overshadowed by the amount of corny jokes(Though considering the demographic for Colors, I'm pretty sure it was intentional). I like the idea of Sonic being a spider man like hero, snarking at his enemies while being a badass, but he needs better quips.

Pretty sure we're not gonna see anything like SA2 anymore, I mean Sega did say they're cutting back on the "ZOMG DARKNESS" in their stories, but at the same time I don't want the game to be nothing but jokes either, though if the jokes we're good I would've given a pass to Colors.

In short: Something like Unleashed, but with a script closer to Colors,with hopefully much better quips from Sonic:

Jokes need to be witty like that, short simple and sweet.

Meaning the only cutscene I didn't cringe was Eggman + Orbot + Cubot because I didn't hear something that made me want to puke.

"Did someone order a clobbering?"

"You missed the BBBE!"

"This park is huge" (naaaaaaw, really? An amusement park made up of five planets is huge?)

"No one said we'll do any math"

"Eggman! I AM going to save this planet! And I AM going to blah blah blah copyright law"

How are those even cringe-worthy? The other jokes I can understand but Sonic stating something is huge or the math thing, I don't see what's so bad about those lines. I think the clobbering scene and Sonic mention how gassy Eggman is really the only lines that he said that made me cringe or face-palm. Everything else I don't find them that big of a deal.

Ditto, except Sonic from Black Knight was written WELL and wasn't deplorably "characterized." "Sonic" from Colors Wii was some of the worst characterization I've seen in the games; Next Gen!Sonic was more in character, and there were some REALLY O.O.C. moments there.

Example of this please. You keep saying that Sonic '06 Sonic is written better and more in character then Colors Sonic. Yeah, Sonic had said some lame jokes (like pretty much everyone else in the game) but I think he was still brimming with character while the Sonic '06 Sonic is pretty bland, weak and uninteresting throughout the entire game.

As for what kind of story, I would like something like Unleashed/SA2 something that is light-hearted but the story can be serious when it needs to be. I think the Happy Tree Friend/MadWorld writers should return for the next game but they should really tone down most of the jokes and should put in jokes when it's necessary.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two words.

Sonic Colors.

How are those even cringe-worthy? The other jokes I can understand but Sonic stating something is huge or the math thing, I don't see what's so bad about those lines. I think the clobbering scene and Sonic mention how gassy Eggman is really the only lines that he said that made me cringe or face-palm. Everything else I don't find them that big of a deal.

As for what kind of story, I would like something like Unleashed/SA2 something that is light-hearted but the story can be serious when it needs to be. I think the Happy Tree Friend/MadWorld writers should return for the next game but they should really tone down most of the jokes and should put in jokes when it's necessary.

I personally think some people haven't been reading the Sonic Adventure script recently.

Edited by Schismatist
  • Thumbs Up 2

BBBE. Best Baddie Beatdown Ever.

Much worse.

Aw Yeah. This is happenin.

Honestly Sonic's lines in SA1, or just as bad as his jokes in Colors, the only difference is that his jokes in Colors are much better acted.

• Thumbs Up 1

Best Boss Beating Ever.

Sounds better than how you said it if you ask me.

It's still lame.

Aw Yeah. This is happenin.

Honestly Sonic's lines in SA1, or just as bad as his jokes in Colors, the only difference is that his jokes in Colors are much better acted.

BBBE is still worse. And I don't even hate the line.

Edited by Marcellove

BBBE. Best Baddie Beatdown Ever.

Much worse.

DAMM FOORTH KAYOS EMRULD!1!!!

HEY YA BIG DRIP!!1!! WHER YA GOIN??//?

ELIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISE!1!!!

HEH HEH HAH HAH!!!!11!! HYUCK HYUCK HYUCK HAH HAH HAH!1!1!!1!!!

FIND THA COMPOOTUR ROOM!!11!!!!!!

AW YAHHHHHHH!1!!1! DIS IZ HAPPUNIN!1!!!!!

Yeah, the BBBE is much worse.

Edited by CanofEpicSauce
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

HEY U BIG DRIP!!1!! WHER YA GOIN??//?

HEH HAH HAH HAH HEE HAH HAH HAH HAH!!1!!!!!

You know, I've never really had a problem with those lines except they were acted poorly.

• Thumbs Up 1

HEY U BIG DRIP!!1!! WHER YA GOIN??//?

HEH HAH HAH HAH HEE HAH HAH HAH HAH!!1!!!!!

Yeah, BBBE is much worse.

Only one of those is from Sonic Adventure. And BBBE is worse than that one.

And using retard typing can make anything look stupid, so stop using it as an argument, please.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Only one of those is from Sonic Adventure. And BBBE is worse than that one.

And using retard typing can make anything look stupid, so stop using it as an argument, please.

I still say they're on the same level of narminess.

At least BBBE was better acted.