Awoo.

Anarchy Reigns (PS3, Xbox 360)

Detective Shadzter

00:34 "Hide your wife, Hide your husbands, They are drilling everybody out here!" laugh.gif

I lol'ed! So some of these guys have been in previous Platinum games right? If so does anyone think Bayonetta or Sam Gideon will cameo and how deep is the combo system in this going to be?

Just Jack and Black Baron. Unless one of these guys is from Infinite Space or a Clover game because I haven't played all of those.

Either way, if Bayonetta's going to be there at all, she'll probably be revealed last. But again, still hoping for Gideon and his rocket punches.

Even more like Smash Bros on steroids. I can't wait to try this game.

Power Stone meets God Hand? Why isn't this game hyped to the moon?

Hell if I know, but it's a damn shame it isnt.

I'm absolutely loving it. It's total anarchy! Madworld, Bayonetta, and Vanquish were great. I'm sure this game'll follow.

Although it's another Platinum game which is going unnoticed by a lot of people. sad.gif Their games have all been on the top-end of the generation. Bayonetta is probably one of my favorite games of all time.

Edited by Neon

I also need to spread my love for the soundtrack. It's great, and seems even better than Madworld's. It's one of the few games, along with Generations and Halo:CEA, that i'm actually very excited to hear.

This game looks freakin' badass. I'm going to get this for sure, probably the PS3 version because of free internet. I barely use my 360, so I should really think about canceling that Gold Subscription. This all depends on whether SEGA doesn't fuck up yet another PS3 porting, though. :(

From here to Binary Domian to here again. Is this what it's like to be Shadzter? Anyway new hands on preview from Kotaku.

Played in the back room of Sega's Gamescom press booth, Anarchy Reigns is a fast-paced, action-heavy brawler that seems a bit too sloppy to have any lasting appeal. But when the game's moments come together, like delivering a buzz-saw flurry of bloody sword slashes with cyber-ninja Zero, it can be satisfying.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 game, Sega's Mike Masuku tells Kotaku, is Platinum Games' attempt at making an online close-combat melee game.

"This is their first online title," he said, before we dropped into three sessions of gaming. "They wanted to explore online gameplay."

Masuku described the game as a fast-paced, extremely violent melee combat game, but it's not extremely violent in the Madworld sense of the phrase. You won't be impaling people with street signs or batting them into walls of spikes. Instead the game feels like a brawling fighter game when played online.

It also features two single-player campaigns, Masuku pointed out. In those campaigns you first play as Jack, the bounty hunter on the hunt for a man named Max. Then you play through the story a second time as government agent Leo. Both those characters, and a slew more, are playable in the game's many online modes. You unlock the game's other characters as you play through the dual campaigns.

There won't be any offline training for the game, nor any option to add bots to the online sessions, meaning you will be relying on your fellow online gamers for all of the game's online play.

The sessions we played were on a smaller map, with just four players. The final game will feature a variety of maps, characters and up to eight player battles. There will also be a selection of modes. We played death match, but other modes mentioned include Battle Royale, Capture the Flag, Cage Fights and even some cooperative horde-like survival modes.

The game already has 11 announced characters to choose from, but our session only allowed us to pick from eight: Jack, Leo, Baron, Nikolai, Mathilda, Zero, Bull and Sasha.

I tried out Nikolai, a character with a gun-like leg; Bull, a minotaur-like creature; and Zero, a cyber-ninja.

Gameplay is pretty straight-forward: One stick controls movement, the other your camera view. You have strong and normal attack buttons, as well as grab and jump buttons. Right triggers put you in guard. The PS3's top left trigger locks onto a character while the bottom right lets you use your killer weapon. Your killer weapon is essentially your character-unique power move. It takes a bit more time to land, but does much more damage. To use this weapon, you hold in the trigger and press either the normal or strong attack button.

Characters also have a rampage gauge which fills as you fight. Once that gauge is filled up you click in both thumbsticks to go into a damage-dealing rampage mode.

Our timed death match modes ended with me in first place in our initial round, last in our second and third in our final match. The ranking was based purely on score which was a combination of kills, and a multitude of bonus points for things like killing-sprees, weapon usage and revenge kills.

The gameplay was fun, though leaned heavily toward button-mashing, it also lacked the nuance of things like break attacks and skill-based combos or special attacks. As a death match game, it seems to be lacking, but I can imagine that combining the tactics of something like capture the flag with melee combat and bloody combos could be fun.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Game's been delayed

LONDON AND SAN FRANCISCO - (December 15th, 2011) – SEGA® Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today announce that upcoming third-person multiplayer brawler, ANARCHY REIGNS™, will now be available on 3 July 2012 in the US, 6 July 2012 in Europe and 5 July 2012 in Australia. The much anticipated next title from critically acclaimed developer PlatinumGames will be released on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system for all console bruisers.

ANARCHY REIGNS brings a new take to the brawler genre and we’ve decided to take a little more time to deliver the full knockout punch. I can’t reveal much now, but it’s something to do with scale. Let’s just say traditional one on one or two versus two fighters will be a thing of the past…” said Gary Knight, Senior Vice President of Marketing at SEGA West.

ANARCHY REIGNS will now be available in July 2012 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

For more information please visit www.anarchyreignsgame.com

http://www.sega.co.uk/news/?n=5507

I really want them to take all the time that they need with this. This is the first time Platinum ever works in netplay in a game and I'd really, really want them to have a netcode that can properly reflect the quality of the dev team as a whole.

It also decreases the games I'm interested in getting at the beginning of the year by one so I can continue to pour my budget onto the new PC rig I'm intending on obtaining.

I'm actually rather surprised how lenient Sega are with these guys. Truly a publisher who values the quality over quantity since we know how P*'s games never really kick off that much in the sales department.

I'm actually rather surprised how lenient Sega are with these guys. Truly a publisher who values the quality over quantity since we know how P*'s games never really kick off that much in the sales department.

To be honest, SEGA already has a couple console games coming out in the first quarter, which is crowded enough. They can afford to push it to a less intense month.

• 3 months later...

It's official. This is Platinum Games love letter to all their fans and a colab of pretty much all the games they've made.

UH OH CHONGO!

Would have edited this in if there haddn't been a reply so quickly.

According to Computer & Videogames... she's erm... DLC... pre-order DLC, for Japan only as it stands. No idea if she's going to appear in the Western version or not. Mainly because a lot of Sega games recently have had Japan exclusive DLC which hasn't come to the western stores... Generations & Binary Domain for example.

Like I needed any further convincing to buy this game. Platinum can do no wrong in my eyes.