Awoo.

Anarchy Reigns (PS3, Xbox 360)

Detective Shadzter

Leveling up doesn't increase your strength, it only levels up your health and Killer Weapon gauge - both of which won't have real bearings on combos when increased. If you die once after having leveled up, you level down. I don't see how that's a bad thing, rewarding killstreaks is common place and it's not intended to be an extremely competitive fighter but a "be innovative and have fun" brawler like God Hand and Power Stone. It's a genre I've sorely missed personally.

The only character I can think that can one-shot kill you in something that isn't a combo is Blacker Baron because his Killer Weapon Heavy is glitched in multiplayer. The problem with him is he's a one-trick pony and has little to no viable combos what-so-ever making him pretty much a comic relief character.

I suggest practicing grab breaking because internet latency sometimes makes reflex pressing rather easy compared to other fighters, and chances are a lot of the times when you're grabbed it's by a Douglas, Big Bull, Garuda or Gargoyle considering they have charge throws that gives them running starts. There's a few perks you can unlock, one of which will automatically break grabs but it's not that great when considering a lot of other things the game has to offer. Chances are that once you find a character that "clicks" with you, you'll mostly be spending time gunning for perks that fit your playstyle. Some people go for Master Evader and Lean Extender among others but the perk that nullifies spin attack damage is a rather good thing to have if you're starting off, it means that as long as you don't openly bait people constantly with predictable attacks you can escape combos without losing damage.

Bayonetta is a good character for beginners not only because she's easy to control but because she has some insanely long and powerful combos for being a lightweight. Just about any combo can lead into a killer weapon string and her killer weapon heavy is incredibly fast. Go to training simulation and check your main character's combos, experiment a bit and try out new things. Be innovative.

I might write down some character strategies eventually.

I wouldn't worry about it myself, the game seems like it's meant to be taken in stride. We should totally get a SSMB match going at some point.

Are we all on PS3? Only I don't know how many of us have this game?

Also has anyone been able to get into the 'limited edition' exclusive modes at all?

Does anybody else here love the soundtrack? I mean, most of the guys that worked in this game also worked on Madworld, which had a wonderful soundtrack. But man this game, it really has some catchy songs. Just listen to

or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYG0Rgv8zWk, they are so catchy.

Platinum Games sure have skill with choosing the music team.

EDIT:

Edited by King Wisp

Also has anyone been able to get into the 'limited edition' exclusive modes at all?

I played several rounds of Mad Survival yesterday.  No one seems to want to play Dogfight, though.  But I don't blame them; I tried it in Simulator and it kind of sucks.

Finally starting playing this game, apparently it had been in my mail box since Friday but I never bothered to check because UPS still has it's status as "in transit" online. I'm halfway through Jack's story now and while I'm having fun I'm not completely in love with the control, mainly the lock-on with is often imprecise and unresponsive, the shooting mechanics which feels far too slow far a action game like this, and the lack on combo variety. However I've only played as Jack and Mad Bull so far, big characters that focus more on slow powerful strikes instead of long combo chains. Hopefully there will be much more to experiment with in the smaller, agile characters.

So am I alone on the xbox version?sad.png

About the game I really like it, I expected nothing more from platinum games.biggrin.png

So am I alone on the xbox version?sad.png

About the game I really like it, I expected nothing more from platinum games.biggrin.png

I have the 360 version too so now we can be alone together...whoope doo!

Edited by Jaime Bond
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have the 360 version to so now we can be alone together...whoope doo!

Lol.

And what I was afraid its happening, I'm taking too much time to start a game.

I mean Its not like I don't like online play, but a local option is always welcome. Especially if you want to share the game with your friends and they don't have the game. 

Lol.

And what I was afraid its happening, I'm taking too much time to start a game.

I mean Its not like I don't like online play, but a local option is always welcome. Especially if you want to share the game with your friends and they don't have the game. 

Oh yeah I know what you mean. Right now I'm just focusing on the campaign and from time to time jump to the multiplayer (it sucks that I don't really have a lot of time to play the game as much as I want though)

So I beat the game and just started hard mode... I think I can sum hard mode as following.

"Stagger lock, stagger lock.... stagger lock... stagger lock... stagger lock... my basic attack now does 75% damage... stagger lock stagger lock stagger lock I can now block your entire anarchy mode"

I'm quite glad I didn't pay the premium and import this game, it's definately Platinums weakest by a long way. Theres just so much about it which constantly frustrates you about it.

Edit: Yeah hard mode is pretty much the cheapest bullshit I have ever seen. Case in point, the final boss on the first stage as Leo. The moment you select your character, the enemy can imediately enter an attack that will hit you unless you are holding block and tapping the evade button as you select your character, if it connects it WILL take away 100% of your health.

If your NPC ally dies, Thats it, you might as well just hit restart as you'll be locked into an infiniate double team combo.

So one of the enemies is fighting the AI ally, right so I'll focus on this blue robot thing... oh wait... before I can even get a punch in I'm now in stagger lock because the other enemy has just decided to stop fighting the ally and I'm now in stagger lock between two enemies.

Why is my Ai ally just randomly walking around the battle area, why is she not fighting?

So I beat the game and just started hard mode... I think I can sum hard mode as following.

"Stagger lock, stagger lock.... stagger lock... stagger lock... stagger lock... my basic attack now does 75% damage... stagger lock stagger lock stagger lock I can now block your entire anarchy mode"

I'm quite glad I didn't pay the premium and import this game, it's definately Platinums weakest by a long way. Theres just so much about it which constantly frustrates you about it.

Edit: Yeah hard mode is pretty much the cheapest bullshit I have ever seen. Case in point, the final boss on the first stage as Leo. The moment you select your character, the enemy can imediately enter an attack that will hit you unless you are holding block and tapping the evade button as you select your character, if it connects it WILL take away 100% of your health.

If your NPC ally dies, Thats it, you might as well just hit restart as you'll be locked into an infiniate double team combo.

So one of the enemies is fighting the AI ally, right so I'll focus on this blue robot thing... oh wait... before I can even get a punch in I'm now in stagger lock because the other enemy has just decided to stop fighting the ally and I'm now in stagger lock between two enemies.

Why is my Ai ally just randomly walking around the battle area, why is she not fighting?

I just finished the campaign on normal and was thinking of trying hard mode, but after reading this maybe not...

Also I started playing a little more of this online and while entertaining it can be frustrating at some points and, I never thought I would say this, at some parts it appears that too many things are happening...I don't know maybe I'm still not used too it after all the name is Anarchy Reigns so I kinda should expect that.tongue.png

Sure its no Bayonetta, but its still a good game and I really enjoyed the campaign, specially the story at some points it was hilarious and you got to enjoy the little nods they do. Finally the soundtrack is amazing.  

Since writing that, I'm now on Stage 4 as Leo.

I found out there is a 'method' to the boss fights on hard mode and it works out as follows.

1: Are there 2 enemies? If yes go to number 2. If no go to number 3.

2: The moment the fight starts, enter rampage/anarchy mode and attack the same enemy your ally is attacking, this will break it's guard quicker and you should if lucky take off almost 90% of it's health before the effect wears off.

From this point on, walk around in circles holding block, attack the enemy from behidn and let the ally be 'bait'

3: Are you playing Leo Stage 4 free mission 1? If no go to 4, if yes go to 5.

4: Hold block, walk around in a circle... wait to be attack, push the evade button. Then do a basic combo as longer combos will be interupted. Idealy you'll want to wait for the boss to turn his back to you so you can put a throw at the end of your basic.

If you should stun a boss. Do a heavy weapon attack. Do not do this if there are 2 bosses.

When the boss has about 10-20% health left, enter rampage mode and just mash your light attack button... win the QTE mini game and repeat for the next boss.

5: Yeah....... .... ... Yeah..... .... ... Yeah...... .... Just grind grunts.

No really, the 3 Cybrid joe's just show how cheap hard mode is. "Right we've these enemies who can't be staggered, only they can but it's random as to if they will or not, theres objects everywhere that greatly help but if you use them and they miss or you die they won't respawn. They have stupidly accurate attacks that take off almost all your health and you have to defeat them all... oh and theres 3 of them and you have no allys.

If you should beat one of them, congratulations! We'll then fill the area with other enemies for you to deal with too!

... and you have a time limit too!

Oh and if you should move too far away from the other two, they'll both come and follow you so if your fight gets quite intense then you might accidentally enter their attack radius and be fighting 3 at once... or the one your fighting will go and run and stand with them... at which point there is no point continuing the mission."

5: Pick up the stick... throw it at their heads, use heavy weapon attacks. Repeat until dead.

Oddly the stick can stun them and break their combo... but your entire move set can't.

Hard mode wasn't that hard to me, though Durga and Garuda were definitely the hardest part of the game due to the small size of the arena.  They aren't hard, just tedious since you have to restart from the missile part when you die.  I got by them by keeping them both in sight so they couldn't ambush me, jumping and killer-diving into whoever's below me and just keep doing that until my rampage is ready.

Hey hey hey I just got this game today so yeah I can play with you guys and stuff if you want to. PSN ID's in my sig.

Anarchy Reigns is Platinum's weakest console title for sure, but even Platinum's weakest is a pretty damn good game. I'd give it a B rating at the moment. Fun beat em up, probably the best I've played in years. As a Power Stone fan, I'm loving it. But yeah, it has its downsides. The price is right, though, and I don't regret buying it. But importers spent too much for sure.

Yahtzee sums up his thoughts on Anarchy Reigns.

Now I like Yahtzee, and I can generally respect his criticisms even when I don't agree with them, but this was one of his worse reviews in my opinion.   It basically sums up as "the campaign was kinda shit even though people buy this game for the multiplayer anyway, but since I have a bad connection to the general population, you're probably not going to enjoy it"

Yahtzee sums up his thoughts on Anarchy Reigns.

Now I like Yahtzee, and I can generally respect his criticisms even when I don't agree with them, but this was one of his worse reviews in my opinion.   It basically sums up as "the campaign was kinda shit even though people buy this game for the multiplayer anyway, but since I have a bad connection to the general population, you're probably not going to enjoy it"

Eh, I don't know. A majority of the issues had nothing to do with the connection problem. Almost all of his issues have been restated by various people in this thread so I found it fair, especially since this is the second/third/fourth time hearing them.