Awoo.

General Sonic 20th Anniversary topic

Detective Shadzter

You're using games that have yet or will not be released.

How does this help your arguement? :huh:

I believe he was trying to give examples with these games, because these two categories of fans would most likely want to see these games in the nearest future. Why should that matter if the games already exist or just have yet to come out?

Anyway, i'm with those who would like to see Sonic adventure 3 for Sonic's 20th, so..^_^

Edited by ArtFenix

This is just an example. Replace with any other title, the point is only in the games for different types of fans.

Sega makes ... S4 Episode 2 - retro fans are happy.
hahahaha

Sega makes games for retro fans. The remaining fans do not count. All but retro ones are unhappy.
I'm not suggesting (and have never suggested) that the series turn into a constant retro jerk-off session.

Look, man, trying to be everything and please everyone has only served to fracture the fanbase, mar Sonic's identity, and bring us a slew of mediocre-to-terrible games. You really can't please everyone; not with one game, not with several (at least not without infinite resources). What Sega needs to do is focus on rebuilding the core of the series, the part that links the majority of the fanbase, rather than trying to be everyone's own personal vision of the series. Make good games out of that and the fanbase will fall in line, in time; some will leave, others will adjust, and if they're lucky they'll manage to win back some of the people that gave up on them years ago.

• Thumbs Up 3

What Sega needs to do is focus on rebuilding the core of the series, the part that links the majority of the fanbase

You can't deny that Sonic colors is not that exact type of game. At least because of the shitty dialog, dull storytelling and the lack of good 3D gameplay. I myself find it hilarious and ridiculous that in a main 3D Sonic game there are a lot more 2D sections than 3D ones.

Edited by ArtFenix

You really think Sonic 4: Episode 1 had any ability to make the retro fans happy? Last time I checked, a good 75% of them thought it was trash (me included).

Colors didn't just make retro fans happy. It made the general Sonic fan audience happy. Classic and modern Sonic fans alike fully accepted Colors, and so did critics and journalists.

This is coming from a guy who also didn't like the linear gameplay, flat storyline and silly dialogue. Even if it wasn't my exact tastes, I rightfully accepted the fact that Colors is a very well-crafted and fairly fun title.

Using the mentality at hand that "onoes everyone's getting what they wanted except Adventure fans", the idea is rather flawed for reasons I just listed; and if you think everyone should get what they want from this franchise, that means people who thought Nextgen was the best game ever should rightfully get a Sonic Nextgen 2: Attack of the Iblis Hedgehog-Princess Babies. Plus, like Diogenes said, it would make the series as a whole look more schizophrenic than the Legend of Zelda series does.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 5

Using the mentality at hand, that means people who thought Nextgen was the best game ever should rightfully get a Sonic Nextgen 2: Attack of the Iblis Hedgehog-Princess Babies.

I lol'd xD!

Sonic Next Gen was released when there was no unleashed with it's "rush in 3D" gameplay with 2D sections. The games were consistend in style and they all were successors of the adventures. So your example just doesn't work, because SNG was made for the adventure fans. Well, there weren't unleashed type of gameplay fans anyway.

You can't deny that Sonic colors is not that exact type of game.
Not exactly, but it's the closest they've come in a long while.

At least because of the shitty dialog, dull storytelling
A lot of people liked Colors' new take on storytelling. I remind you, the point is not to make everyone happy, as that is a fool's errand. And the story's secondary to the gameplay, anyway.

I myself find it hilarious and ridiculous that in a main 3D Sonic game there are a lot more 2D sections than 3D ones.
I'd say that makes it a 2D game, and it's pretty reasonable for a 2D game to have more 2D sections than 3D sections.

Not exactly, but it's the closest they've come in a long while.

Not quite IMO. Gameplay-wise Unleashed was the closest. Unleashed HD to be precise. Minus the werehog of course. [He could have been implemented much better though]

And the story's secondary to the gameplay, anyway.

You might find that absurdly, but for me the gameplay is secondary to the story. Maybe it's because as a sonic fan i love the whole Sonic universe, the stories of the games, i love to see character development and stuff. But that's not most important. Many people liked the story of colors, but i saw even more posts abut how shitty it is delivered. There are some dudes who like Heroes script you know.. Colors storytelling has some huge flaws and that should be obvious. There's plenty of things to change or improve in future titles.

I'd say that makes it a 2D game, and it's pretty reasonable for a 2D game to have more 2D sections than 3D sections.
Yes, but the majority of reviewers just kept naming it a 3D game and that pisses me off because it's a lie. Well it IS a 3D game but..You grasped the idea right? Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not quite IMO. Gameplay-wise Unleashed was the closest. Unleashed HD to be precise. Minus the werehog of course. [He could have been implemented much better though]
Well we can't just factor the werehog out of the discussion, since shoving other gameplay styles in is a pretty big part of the point. Even besides that, I think the daytime gameplay was too alien and divisive.

You might find that absurdly, but for me the gameplay is secondary to the story.
Then you are an outlier.

Colors storytelling has some huge flaws and that should be obvious. There's plenty of things to change or improve in future titles.
And I don't deny it.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not suggesting (and have never suggested) that the series turn into a constant retro jerk-off session.

Look, man, trying to be everything and please everyone has only served to fracture the fanbase, mar Sonic's identity, and bring us a slew of mediocre-to-terrible games. You really can't please everyone; not with one game, not with several (at least not without infinite resources). What Sega needs to do is focus on rebuilding the core of the series, the part that links the majority of the fanbase, rather than trying to be everyone's own personal vision of the series. Make good games out of that and the fanbase will fall in line, in time; some will leave, others will adjust, and if they're lucky they'll manage to win back some of the people that gave up on them years ago.

Fandom is made up of Adventure fans no less than Retro fans or Unleashed fans. What to do in this case? Even if you guys think that Colors is good direction for Sonic, there are still groups of fans who do not think so. And now comes out that those fans which do not like the direction of Colors will be ignored, because Colors fans want good games only for themselves? It was just an example, I mean just that, even if you offer to make games only for the majority, fandom is still divided not by majority, which likes Colors, and the minority. The percentage of fandom is divided roughly in half, and it is impossible to make games for one half, while the other half did not pay attention. But it is impossible to make one game for both of them, then what to do?

In any case, I started all this just because of this bullshit about Jun and Johnny, when selfish fans who receive what they wanted, now want to get only what they want, without thinking that there are other fans with other tastes. At this point I finished and leaving the topic

• Thumbs Up 1

Sega: *Takes a jab at Nintendo*

Nintendo: Ugh!

Sega: hahahahahahha!

Nintendo: So how's that third party developer thing goin' for ya.

Sega: 8I

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 4

OK.

Here we go.

If SEGA try to please everyone, they will please no one.

Just let that sink in for a bit.

Only if the game design itself dictates that. A good game design can take the best elements of all into one game. Of course, its hard to say if there are any Sonic Team members with the insight to make this possible, but I hope that at least a partial solution is done in the meantime.

The 20th anniversary page has been updated with a "topics" tab for future updates aside from the already mentioned Crush 40 event.

Edited by the blu blur

SEGA can please a whole bunch of fans once they make a universally good Sonic game. Heck, two even. A perfect 2D game and a perfect 3D game. They just need to stick to the general formula and expand on it a smidgen to keep it fresh. Sonic Colors did a fine job of that, although some improvements in flow could be made.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just spotted this at SEGA France's blog:

IMG00121-20110106-1548.jpg

http://www.the-blue-room.info/

(It's in the little gallery on the right that says "Live".)

Don't know what it is though, apart from it being a box :lol: The text that shows underneath the pic when opened at the site says "In 2011 will be the king? :)" in Google Translate.

There was that Sonic anti-aging cream in a similar sized box that SEGA France sent out to press which Eversonic.fr received, so maybe it's that in there, but that was already in a box.

Can anyone translate the text on the box, please?

Can anyone translate the text on the box, please?

It's a King cake. I don't know how familiar you are with this in your countries, but in France it's a tradition to eat this cake at the beginning of the year.

The text on the box is a (bad) pun; instead of "Rois" (which means kings), it says "HéROIssons" (a mix between "roi", and "hérissons" which means hedgehogs).

Edited by Core
  • Thumbs Up 7

It's a King cake. I don't know how familiar you are with this in your countries, but in France it's a tradition to eat this cake at the beginning of the year.

The text on the box is a (bad) pun; instead of "Rois" (which means kings), it says "HéROIssons" (a mix between "roi", and "hérissons" which means hedgehogs).

Thanks, Core. +1 rep to you :) I don't think we have a New Year cake tradition over here in the UK, but I wish we did now. I'd love an excuse to eat cake :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

SEGA can please a whole bunch of fans once they make a universally good Sonic game. Heck, two even. A perfect 2D game and a perfect 3D game. They just need to stick to the general formula and expand on it a smidgen to keep it fresh. Sonic Colors did a fine job of that, although some improvements in flow could be made.

Edited by Chaos Rush

(And when I said the thing about S3&Ks senior level designer thing, I wasn't implying that Iizuka knows what he's doing. I'm aware that he's the cause for all the rehashiness, but really, he was also one of the senior game designers of S3&K, which is why I don't think he's to blame for the physics. That, and the fact that Dimps proved with Unleashed Wii that they're really lazy, so with Sonic 4 they copy+pasted physics from Rush not caring about how it will affect the gameplay, and according to people who compared Rush and S4, they made it worse.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Dimps can make good classic-styled Sonic games as they've proved with Sonic Pocket Adventure and Advance.

Dimps can make good classic-styled Sonic games as they've proved with Sonic Pocket Adventure and Advance.