Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Fan feedback must be pretty good for Bean and Bark to have them show up so much recently. Either that or its Ian's love of the old characters shining through, especially after looking at Other M.

Actually do we know if that planned backstory for Bark is still coming after the reboot or do ya think its on the backburner again for now? Thinking about it now the look on his face and Nack's "I didn't think so" type reply almost makes it seem like he knows about why Bark won't speak up or what caused him to be the way he is and take the path he has....or maybe I'm just thinking too much into it haha.

Unless that backstory was dependant on a Penders/Bollers/ex-Archie writer that needed serious retooling, I'd say that said backstory for the Silent Bob of polar bears will either wait until after Unleashed, or a backup.

Hell, the Hooligans might wind up with an Origins issue of their own; they're game characters that SEGA could give less than two sh*ts about, so hopefully there shouldn't be any hang ups.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hell, the Hooligans might wind up with an Origins issue of their own; they're game characters that SEGA could give less than two sh*ts about, so hopefully there shouldn't be any hang ups.

Its more than a shot in the dark I know but I kinda almost hope the whole lawsuit brought to Sega's attention who they actually do own or can still use a bit more. Especially with some of the things Ian has said recently, that even characters like Nack have mandates of sorts now.

"Who's this purple weasel and this green bird? They are ours? Huh."

I'll keep the hope alive regardless, I would love to see them all in a game again one day. Hell Archie's pretty much got their personality down and their designs looking fine mixing with the modern cast. Everytime I see an opportunity it passes by without them, but maybe one day. *sigh*

Actually I wonder what Archie would do or be made to do if randomly Izuka retooled Mighty, Nack or Ray etc etc and changed who they were, like what happened with the Chaotix. None of us saw that coming, it's an interesting what if situation. Would they then have to alter the characters in the comic somehow? Would Sega's game centric mandates force them to change their current personas like with said Chaotix or because its after the fact would they stay as they are in the comic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Its more than a shot in the dark I know but I kinda almost hope the whole lawsuit brought to Sega's attention who they actually do own or can still use a bit more. Especially with some of the things Ian has said recently, that even characters like Nack have mandates of sorts now.

I'll keep the hope alive regardless, I would love to see them all in a game again one day. Hell Archie's pretty much got their personality down and their designs looking fine mixing with the modern cast. Everytime I see an opportunity it passes by without them, but maybe one day. *sigh*

Actually I wonder what Archie would do or be made to do if randomly Izuka retooled Mighty, Nack or Ray etc etc and changed who they were, like what happened with the Chaotix. None of us saw that coming, it's an interesting what if situation. Would they then have to alter the characters in the comic somehow? Would Sega's game centric mandates force them to change their current personas like with said Chaotix or because its after the fact would they stay as they are in the comic.

If SEGA is allowing the characters to stay, but has a heavier hand on how they're used/portrayed, it's possible they might be handled as if they were active game characters, I suppose. Though, if SEGA suddenly decided they wanted Mighty or Fang for a game, it might be a case of the comic and game incarnations being really different again (a la the old continuity Chaotix), but with a few minor updates/additions made to the comic versions to keep them "up to code" so to speak.

Seems like that's what happened with the Chaotix pre-reboot, such as the updated designs and some aspects of their characterizations, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did something similarly.

Even if I'm not too warm to the way SEGA/Sonic Team handle things nowadays regarding their characters/stories, I like to think they do have a better understanding of those things than we give them credit for (the tight-ass leash says as much). In a way, I think they're hoping to keep the lore alive through the comics, even if most of it is stuff they'll never touch in their games again. Though I might be giving them a little too much credit in that regard, too.

It always confused me why Izuka went out on such a limb saying that the new Chaotix were not at all the old ones. That they were a totally different set of guys regardless of them being the same animals just redesigned and given new jobs/personality (to a degree). What's wrong with acknowledging the past tho. Why couldn't they say, "the Chaotix are back". But I digress. They seem to have turned out alright, even in the comics, its nice they put them with Knux for their first real arc after the reset too, a nod to old times without mentioning it.

The way Iizuka worded that was kinda weird, anyway. He could have meant different in terms of personality and not really history. Doesn't really matter, though. Knuckles' Chaotix is a rather obscure game and reaaaaaallly odd.

If Nack, Weasel or Bark ever got the game treatment, I imagine we'd just need an ark to explain any redesigns or if the changes are minor, it could really slip under the rug.

I just hope they don't do one of those crazy-ass explanations like they did for Sonic's eyes and buckles.

Really... buckles?

But it's Ian, I don't think I have to worry too much for that, but he has done odd explanations before.

If Nack, Weasel or Bark ever got the game treatment, I imagine we'd just need an ark to explain any redesigns or if the changes are minor, it could really slip under the rug.

Nope. Like I said before, he's said that if he did bring other old characters back, they wouldn't have any of their prior history and basically be treated as new characters. That would be pretty problematic.

But since they probably won't be bringing them back, I don't think we need to go into depth on the hows.

-There's a few stray writers who weren't involved and therefore have no word on them for now (even though I'd still say it was likely), like Frank Storm and Romy Chacon.

Hey, that keeps hope alive for Regina at some point.

please don't kill it, let me dream goddammit

• Thumbs Up 5

Fan feedback must be pretty good for Bean and Bark to have them show up so much recently. Either that or its Ian's love of the old characters shining through, especially after looking at Other M.

I think it's more the fact that since the reboot we seem to be lacking antagonists, at least SegaSonic ones anyway. Until the Battlebird Armada and possibly Wendy Witchcart/her minions are introduced, and then possibly pre252 baddies, i'm guessing these guys'll be showing up quite a bit.

Despite the fact that Sonic is in a completely different arc?

Yes. I know I'm wishing against logic, but I'm really, really hoping everyone just calls him "spirit" or some shit until he can meet Sonic.

Don't see a problem here.

What's really important is who bonds with Chip.

Which should be Sonic, and the naming of the character is one of the first, important beats in that bond. It's the backbone of the story of Unleashed. Gutting it is adapting the Count of Monte Christo but having the Count be a joyous clown.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes. I know I'm wishing against logic, but I'm really, really hoping everyone just calls him "spirit" or some shit until he can meet Sonic.

Which should be Sonic, and the naming of the character is one of the first, important beats in that bond. It's the backbone of the story of Unleashed. Gutting it is adapting the Count of Monte Christo but having the Count be a joyous clown.

The difference now is that Chip needs to potentially bond with an entire cast of characters, not just Sonic. Giving that moment to a different character might not be such a bad idea, but I honestly think they'll probably just dance around it. As an aside; your comparison at the end is kind of a straw-man, so I'm just going to ignore it.

Post-Sonic2006 Sonic games seem to be actively avoiding having too many characters from the extended family in their stories, which is the only reason I think characters like Bean, Nack and Bark probably won't ever be showing up again. Bean and Bark are pretty much non entities as far as the game-verse is concerned, but Nack is a character who has a pretty defined personality, and I'd love to see him come back. Who knows what the future holds though.

• Thumbs Up 1

But he shouldn't really bond... or rather, the strongest bond should still be with Sonic. Unleashed was about locations, and Sonic and Chip's bond. If you try to shove everyone in that's just blanding it up, diluting it. Wouldn't be as special since he was everyone's friend instead of a more personal, intimate if you will, adventure between Sonic and Chip throughout the world.

I don't really see how it's a strawman since I'm not strawmanning anyone. If I were, I'd be saying someone said something they didn't so I could attack that something they didn't. Instead I just made a comparison of my own- Unleashed's story without Sonic and Chip's bond is like Count of Monte Christo without the Count being a tragic character.

But hey. I still heavily dislike, maybe hate even, that Sonic, Tails and Amy are Freedom Fighters, sp feel free to disregard me. I'm more than happy we're seeing other characters deal with Unleashed as sideplots like Knuckles and the Chaotix, but the main plot itself is strongest with only the few needed characters- Sonic, Chip - and I frankly fear about having everyone shoved up on every step of the way. Here's hoping when they reach Windmill Isle Sonic separates.

But he shouldn't really bond... or rather, the strongest bond should still be with Sonic. Unleashed was about locations, and Sonic and Chip's bond. If you try to shove everyone in that's just blanding it up, diluting it. Wouldn't be as special since he was everyone's friend instead of a more personal, intimate if you will, adventure between Sonic and Chip throughout the world.

I don't really see how it's a strawman since I'm not strawmanning anyone. If I were, I'd be saying someone said something they didn't so I could attack that something they didn't. Instead I just made a comparison of my own- Unleashed's story without Sonic and Chip's bond is like Count of Monte Christo without the Count being a tragic character.

But hey. I still heavily dislike, maybe hate even, that Sonic, Tails and Amy are Freedom Fighters, sp feel free to disregard me. I'm more than happy we're seeing other characters deal with Unleashed as sideplots like Knuckles and the Chaotix, but the main plot itself is strongest with only the few needed characters- Sonic, Chip - and I frankly fear about having everyone shoved up on every step of the way. Here's hoping when they reach Windmill Isle Sonic separates.

Why are you so against Sonic, Tails and Amy being Freedom Fighters? That's what Sonic is anyway, in any continuity. He fights for freedom.

Thinking about it for a moment, and I'm frankly sick of "But if the comics do it this way, it's wrong!" argument, odds are, while Chip will bond with Knuckles, there's a chance Chip won't know who he is, and Knuckles will just protect him until the end of "The Great Chaos Caper". We already know Knux is heading back to Angel Island and will be dealing with Team Dark and Eclipse and Sonic will eventually run into Chip (the opening of Unleashed likely won't happen since Sonic is already infected and the world is already shattered) and you'll get what you're looking for. I don't really care if the comics follow the games to the letter at this point since, well, you have the games. The status quo. That will never go away or be affected, so if the comics want to follow a slightly different path to get to the same conclusion, I don't see a problem.

I'm against Sonic, Tails and Amy being Freedom Fighters in the same way I'd rather Sally, Bunnie, Antoine etc also not be. I don't like the fact Sonic is chained to about ten characters in his daily life and if we want a story about Sonic alone, or Sonic and Tails alone, or Bunnie alone, or anything we need an explanation of "oh they're in a mission for the Freedom Fighters" or "oh the FF gave them vacations".

I don't like seeing Sonic spend his free time in a holoroom readying himself for war, practicing. Or Tails, or Rotor.

I don't like Sonic living in a flying base, technically exploring the world but actually just doing paramilitary missions with friends instead of actually, you know, traversing the world and having fun.

I like the characters. I hate the term and connotations. I was happy with Team Fighters since it was a party of three and I was hoping would lead to "why even name ourselves Team anything let's just explore the world".

Zaysho, I'm also frankly sick of "the comics aren't the games sso they're free to do the stories the games did but butcher everything good on those stories". I'm sick of being told to go to the medium that doesn't explore story when the medium that's supposed to be exploring story isn't doing a good job of it. So we're both frankly sick. Good to know.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm against Sonic, Tails and Amy being Freedom Fighters in the same way I'd rather Sally, Bunnie, Antoine etc also not be. I don't like the fact Sonic is chained to about ten characters in his daily life and if we want a story about Sonic alone, or Sonic and Tails alone, or Bunnie alone, or anything we need an explanation of "oh they're in a mission for the Freedom Fighters" or "oh the FF gave them vacations".

I don't like seeing Sonic spend his free time in a holoroom readying himself for war, practicing. Or Tails, or Rotor.

I don't like Sonic living in a flying base, technically exploring the world but actually just doing paramilitary missions with friends instead of actually, you know, traversing the world and having fun.

I like the characters. I hate the term and connotations. I was happy with Team Fighters since it was a party of three and I was hoping would lead to "why even name ourselves Team anything let's just explore the world".

Zaysho, I'm also frankly sick of "the comics aren't the games sso they're free to do the stories the games did but butcher everything good on those stories". I'm sick of being told to go to the medium that doesn't explore story when the medium that's supposed to be exploring story isn't doing a good job of it. So we're both frankly sick. Good to know.

How is doing it differently equal butchery? The comics are following the games verse more closely than ever before, why is it a problem for Archie to play with the universe and have its own spin on the events and characters? The games are the original source, and they're not affected by anything that's sprung from the same tree. The comics will not replace the games, just as how Boom won't replace the games, which is why almost nobody is throwing a huge fit over Boom's wild changes anymore. Same reason I think it's OK for every TMNT adaptation to try its own take on the respective universe, since Mirage is still the original source and isn't affected, nor will it be replaced by what Archie, Fred Wolf, 4Kids, Nickelodeon, or IDW did.

The only reason I take issue with your argument is because it's worded to imply "different is wrong," when the fact of the matter is, the comics being different isn't going to affect the source material.

If STC was still around and sonic tails and Amy were part of the freedom fighter would you be ok with it? Just think about it

I've had this argument so often I'm tired of it, so I'm off for dinner instead before I escalate it further since literally nothing new is being said here (@deji- often said I'd also complain about StC if it carried to this day on the route it was, plus the FF were a looser group in StC since everyone just carried having solo stories regardless). Sorry for disturbing your enjoyment once more.

Dude, nobody said you're disturbing anybody's enjoyment :/ Most are arguing with you because you act as if the only way the comics can be good is by sticking rigidly to exactly what the games do and any change/alteration is automatically wrong/bad. It's a matter of execution, not whether it's one thing or the other. Could the comics work like that? Sure, but why can't it have a new spin on the same story we're already so familiar with? That story's been done, and it will never not exist. But I have a feeling we'll have to agree to disagree before this spins out of control again.

Carry on, folks.

I agree with you with some points but there there are already huge differences between the comic's "Unleashed Arc" and the original game's story.

-In the game, Eggman broke the planet apart and knew exactly what he was doing

-In the comic, this was an accident and he has no idea what's going on, except now

-In the game, outside of people being possessed and when Dark Gaia finally fused back together, everyone was pretty calm about the whole planet being split apart, which some fans agree is kinda odd.

-In the comics, everyone is freaking out and the destruction and chaos is evident

-In the game, when the sun is down, Sonic automatically transforms into the Werehog

-Unless they've been flying in the sun for this whole time, Sonic has not transformed yet. In fact, he's almost transformed during the day, which shouldn't happen. In fact, Sonic's Werehog strokes seem similar to the STC Sonic's transformation into Super Sonic

-In the game, after Professor Pickle was kidnapped either sometime before the game started or when Sonic was in Apotos and helps Sonic by deciphering the Gaia Manuscripts and finding trying to find Temple Locations

-He doesn't have the Gaia Manuscripts at all right now. He can still be useful but they kinda need to get the Gaia Manuscripts back to find where the temples are…unless ''Light Gaia'' already knows where they are

-In the game, Chip lost his memories and didn't remember that he is Light Gaia

-In the comic, it appears that he knows exactly what's going on, because he's already got a Chaos Emerald (which by the way seems to be working probably because it's still glowing). In fact, Tikal tells us that's he's "weak" but not suffering from amnesia like in the game

I'm loving the Unleashed Arc. I can guess what's going to happen since I've played the game but I'm still in the dark and I enjoy that. I mean we have Prof Pickle, Dark Gaia and his minions, Chip, and other Sega Sonic characters are getting involved, even though they weren't in the original game. What's the problem?

Chip hasn't met Sonic yet? Don't worry they're going to meet. Both are kinda needed right now. Also, Chip bonded with a lot of people. Not just Sonic. He also made friends with Tails, Amy, and tons of Townspeople.

We haven't been to Unleashed Countries yet? Well, we've seen a bit of Mazuri and Spagonia but like I said, they don't know where the temples are. Heck, they don't even know where the Chaos Emeralds are.

I do want to see some Eggman and Dark Gaia Bosses from the game, but at this point in the comic it's about showing off the world post reboot and its new set of characters, not "Hey, remember Sonic Unleashed? For people who don't, this is what happened..."

I do want to see the Interceptor but if Ian gives us a Metal Werehog and a Dark Gaia powered Egg Army, I'm not mad.

Before you mentioned that Sonic is a character that loves Freedom. So, wouldn't being a Freedom Fighter be the best thing for him?

• Thumbs Up 8

Before you mentioned that Sonic is a character that loves Freedom. So, wouldn't being a Freedom Fighter be the best thing for him?

I said I was out for dinner, but had to just come back and post this one since I'm sorry, Sonictrainer, but that post severly annoyed me considering I had just explained it in this very page.

:/

Please for the love of peace and quiet, LET THIS TOPIC DIE AGAIN. And KKM, you are more than free to keep your opinions on how the book should be structured/status quo, but you've started this for at least the third time now (that I know of). Likewise, everyone needs to stop pouring gasoline onto this fire.

The only thing everyone might be interested in about this odd animal is his Chaos Emerald, and might not be interested in bonding/naming it/whatever. So you don't have to get worked up.

I can understand part of what KKM is saying. I'm not particularly into everyone being part of a large group either. However, I don't see what's so bad about Chip bonding with Knuckles before or even in lieu of Sonic. If anything it would give the arc even more of its own identity.