Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

From what I remember Ian commenting about the Silver Saga, the references to Other-M were just meant to be a fun nod, he did not expect the negative reaction that some people had.

Pretty sure Knuckles being Enerjak (or just that Knuckles was evil in Jani-Ca's timeline) was something Penders established. The fact it matched Ian's interpretation in Other M was a happy coincidence.

Ah, so he has acknowledged the backlash, that's good. I guess it was probably meant with no ill intent, but when the Archie comics outright say they don't like using fan ideas, it could come off as a tad abusive.

Pretty sure Knuckles being Enerjak (or just that Knuckles was evil in Jani-Ca's timeline) was something Penders established. The fact it matched Ian's interpretation in Other M was a happy coincidence.

It was established that the Knuckles of Jani-Ca's future was evil during Penders' tenure, yes. More specifically, it was said he became the leader of the Dark Legion.

That said, Enerjak as a villain was something that came from the Editor and not Ian.

So I do ponder whether it was just going to be vanilla Enerjak or if the X Years Later part was planned from the start.

Eh, I never did see the big deal over Ian using some concepts again in the Silver saga. It's not like it was Other M the official adaptation, the situations and execution of concepts were very different.

I only really get cheesed off when it seems blatant that concepts and/or characters have been shoehorned in for the sake of marketing. That would be why Secret Freedom rubbed me the wrong way out the door. 

Eh, I dunno. I'd use some old fan ideas if I could find a way to implement them well. Granted, I didn't actually read Other m, but I did the Silver story and liked the Silver story. Hearing that it's borrowed concepts from his old fan comic just makes me go, "Oh, that's kinda interesting."

I mean, I hear a lot about game developers using old concepts (that they, usually, had to scrap) for future installments all that time. Kind of the same thing to me.

As far as Silver's Dark Mobius arc went, probably the only thing I liked about it was Dark Enerjak being who he was and Silver fighting him. Lara-su was okay a best for me, but the other characters were forgettable. Then again, I don't think Ian meant for them to be anything more than background characters anyway, so that's probably why I tolerate them at least.

From what I remember Ian commenting about the Silver Saga, the references to Other-M were just meant to be a fun nod, he did not expect the negative reaction that some people had.

This is very sad consiering it's one of my favorite arcs and Silver is awesome in it

I've read Other M and I enjoyed it, but it's certainly not for everyone. You need to be able to like things in spite of, or because of, their bad art.

I thought it was a neat ~What If~ idea, and the plot basically completes it's main story, bringing down evil overlord Knuckles and saving the alternate Mobius, the unfinished part is sort of like a short second arc that kind of lost momentum.

Man who cares about the negative reaction? It had Enerjak Knuckles and Silver duking it out, and it was awesome, and that's why I love it.

Is the negativity mainly about it's likeness to Other M, or is there more to it? Because otherwise, I think the reaction might have been much different had it no relation to Other M. And I haven't even read the thing yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

There'd also not be as much negativity around it if the FF were others in the arc, since I really do feel beyond that much of the arc was established already by the Penders story and accusing it of being all drawn from Other M is eeh.

It's a decent issue. Definitely more focused on the slower, more explorative side of things which is a nice change of pace. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It was great, just like all the other recent issues. Less action by far, but it was cool to explore this underwater world we've never seen before. Razor didn't look much like a shark and Coral didn't look anything like a mantis ray, but this is the Sonic universe, who cares? I was escpecially interested in Coral's character, I sympathized with her, and kinda wish more time had been spent on her... but maybe we'll get it in later issues.

I'm already excited for the next comic; can't wait til June.

It was great, just like all the other recent issues. Less action by far, but it was cool to explore this underwater world we've never seen before. Razor didn't look much like a shark and Coral didn't look anything like a mantis ray, but this is the Sonic universe, who cares? I was escpecially interested in Coral's character, I sympathized with her, and kinda wish more time had been spent on her... but maybe we'll get it in later issues.

Coral is a Betta.

Coral is supposed to be a betta fish (like a siamese fighting fish I think?), while Pearly is the manta ray. The main story & backup were fine, tho obviously set up for the rest of the arc.

Man who cares about the negative reaction? It had Enerjak Knuckles and Silver duking it out, and it was awesome, and that's why I love it.

Is the negativity mainly about it's likeness to Other M, or is there more to it? Because otherwise, I think the reaction might have been much different had it no relation to Other M. And I haven't even read the thing yet.

There seems to be an inherant stigma about creators who used to be fans of their work sometimes; like they haven't paid their dues or using ideas they had before they became an official writer is "unprofessional". I could swear that the Other M comparisons went beyond Silver Saga, but we'll focus on that for now.

Obviously, there's people who just didn't like the story (Knuckles goes into a dark descent into absolute villainy, rips peoples' souls out to create inhuman soldiers, the Freedom Fighters are altered, etc). Then there are the people who hate Ian's work no matter what (mostly the Penders camp) who use the Other M connection to make the accusation that Ian is getting paid for writing his fan work (when... that's mostly true of all comics, right? It's stuff the writer makes up on their own to be used.). Then you get people who do enjoy Ian's professional work, but either hated/knew of Other M who thought that Ian went too far in this reference.

My opinion is that if you can make something shine from an old idea you had, then you should be able to do so (tho I'm aware of the double edged sword it can be). Hell, Marv Wolfman outright admitted he came up with the basic idea of Crisis On Infinite Earths and the Anti-Monitor when he was about 5 (...and there were people who called that "unprofessional" as well. Can't please everybody).

Whoa, Marv thought of that thing at that age?! blink.png  Boy, they don't kid around when they say they think of things way in advance of its release date! tongue.png 

I believe its alright that writers can do what Ian did with Silver Saga, so long as it doesn't go so far (Penders' LSC is a prime example).  I'm having difficulty in why people have such a gripe with Silver Saga.  It was in a completely different universe, not the main one, so no hamr done I think.

I think he was five, but he was most definitely a kid in the 60's(?) who came up with the idea of every DC character ever fighting against his villain, then called the Librarian.

Maybe a complaint about Silver Saga was that it was four issues and thus four months before something like the Lockdown arc happened. Don't forget, if something starts dragging it's feet, then people are more quick to point out it's flaws; like what happened with Iron Dominion or Mecha Sally.

True enough.  I can only imagine the angry comments from the Scourge die hards that were wanting to get the Silver Saga over with.  That said I don't think it was a bad story, despite it not being up to my taste.  The problem really is that you're going to have people who want shorter stories when long sagas take place, but then have others (or even those same people) want longer ones when they get short.

Also, Librarian?  Haha laugh.png

well it's not like Sonic and the others look much like Hedgehogs, and Knuckles is anything but a Echidna, but hey, trying to draw a animal in Sonic-style is gonna be weird one way or another, especially ones that we never seen before.

Heh, I doubt Yuji Uekawa could've done any better anyway.

through Pearl is the Manta through, 

I've been wondering for a while now, but can you get a Sonic comic subscription to the UK?

I don't think you can directly from Archie because they only really distribute to USA/Canada.

I know Forbidden Planet do a subscription service for Sonic though, so you could get one through that if you wanted.

All I can find is purchasable single issues, but still they seem cheaper then I expected.  However I may have to think about it.  If there's one thing my parents like to make sure of it's that I have plenty of savings.