Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

So, with all this, is there any news on Mammoth Mogul's state?

He and Finny boy were my two favorite Archie-Exclusive villains (well, Snivley too, but he's a Satam one). Seeing what's Fin's fate makes me really curious (and worried) about Mammoth. I hope he's safe and has a return.

I suspect that all but a select few of Ian's creations are gone, but in terms of what's basically in stone;

-All of Penders' stuff is confirmed outright.

-Bollers' stuff is pretty much confirmed. 

-The next most suspect stuff is anything from Scott Shaw, Scott Fulop and Mike Kanterovich, since they along with Bollers aided Penders in the court case.

-There's a few stray writers who weren't involved and therefore have no word on them for now (even though I'd still say it was likely), like Frank Storm and Romy Chacon.

If I recall right, Mogul was a creation of Scott Fulop. 

Sigh. Oh well. I did like Mogul but guess it can't be helped. Eggman was and still is my favorite villain -- has to be.

I just hope I can see more of what level of power he has here. He still seems to be the biggest power sharer, like he was at the start of the comic, but both the Freedom Fighters and GUN look a lot stronger than they have before.

I kinda want to see Eggman get beat back a little, then come in stronger, gaining more and more ground. That's the whole theme I like, though, Eggman owning the world, and FF having to fight for victory.

Still, I don't really KNOW how much power is held by him and the good guys. If I were to guess by what i see, I'd only say sixty percent of "Mobius" is owned by the doctor, but... I dunno.

If someone with more legal knowledge can answer this question, I'd be grateful. What claim can a writer in the USA have in regards to ownership of content made for a third party under a pseudonym?

Ex. Ken Penders wrote all his stuff under his legal name. Scott Fulop created Mogul and the Fearsome Foursome under the alternate name of Kent Taylor.

While Ken made his content under his real name, thus giving him (in his little world and sadly legally) a claim that he could have a reasonable expectation to own said content, wouldn't Fulop's choice to write under a name not his own disqualify or prevent him from having any claim for "Taylor's" work?

I don't know much about copyright law (I even forgot that said laws can actually differ from country to country like with the Sonic the Comic situation) and was just wondering.

As long as Scott could prove it was his pseudonym, it wouldn't have any effect.

I know this might be unrelated but, has anyone on here ever had their letter printed in the letter page of the comics? Just curious.

Yeah once I forgot which issue it was all I recall was that they mail you the issue if you live in the US and I made it sound extremly kiddy

I suspect that all but a select few of Ian's creations are gone, but in terms of what's basically in stone;

-All of Penders' stuff is confirmed outright.

-Bollers' stuff is pretty much confirmed. 

-The next most suspect stuff is anything from Scott Shaw, Scott Fulop and Mike Kanterovich, since they along with Bollers aided Penders in the court case.

-There's a few stray writers who weren't involved and therefore have no word on them for now (even though I'd still say it was likely), like Frank Storm and Romy Chacon.

If I recall right, Mogul was a creation of Scott Fulop. 

Where has it been confirmed that Karl Bollers stuff has gone? or anyone else's for that matter? Just because these writers aided Penders means nothing otherwise we'd of found out somewhere that they too had registered the copyrights to the characters and concepts they'd created.

As far as we're aware, Archie's been contacting the previous creators. Frank Strom's characters are on the front of the most recent Legacy cover; something of which Archie's been avoiding doing since the lawsuit is putting characters on the covers that they don't own i.e. Geoffrey being removed from a Legacy and Select cover.

Yeah, it can assumed that Mike Gallaghers cast has gone because he's letting Penders use Athair in his Lara-Su Mess, but nothing else has been said. Ian's said a few times that some pre-252 stuff is returning but he can't say what.

It's safe to assume Angelo Decesare's cast will return since he's still working for Archie.

Where has it been confirmed that Karl Bollers stuff has gone? or anyone else's for that matter? Just because these writers aided Penders means nothing otherwise we'd of found out somewhere that they too had registered the copyrights to the characters and concepts they'd created.

As far as we're aware, Archie's been contacting the previous creators. Frank Strom's characters are on the front of the most recent Legacy cover; something of which Archie's been avoiding doing since the lawsuit is putting characters on the covers that they don't own i.e. Geoffrey being removed from a Legacy and Select cover.

Yeah, it can assumed that Mike Gallaghers cast has gone because he's letting Penders use Athair in his Lara-Su Mess, but nothing else has been said. Ian's said a few times that some pre-252 stuff is returning but he can't say what.

It's safe to assume Angelo Decesare's cast will return since he's still working for Archie.

So Larry Lynx might be safe after all?! That would be nice, rather enjoyed his development in the Secret Freedom Fighters arc 

Nothing to make for an absolutely CHAOTIC Saturday than SU #64 peeks and spoilers!

sy066b.jpg

102tjdy.jpg

33yolj8.jpg

1z2hvsy.jpg

10r4vtc.jpg

2u8hrgn.jpg

2ihqxs6.jpg

mrxwyg.jpg

ehg0p0.jpg

2jbmckg.jpg

nmhqbq.jpg

6prbpz.jpg

The issue opens with Knuckles and the Chaotix confronting the Hooligans. After a short tussle with both of them demanding that the other hand over the Emerald (Including Bean having to get his word balloons re-acclimated. Seriously. XD) Bean of all people points out the logic that if both teams attacked one another because they thought they had the Emerald, then neither of them do. Nack calls a truce and reveals that his Emerald tracker is pointing out the same spot as Knuckles' sixth sense. Since the Emerald clearly isn't at ground level, Knux reasons that it must be deep within the Aquatic Mines that he's all to familiar with. After realizing that they're enemies and shouldn't be sharing info with each other, Bean gives the Hooligans some cover and they get a head start. Vector frets that they've got such an advantage already, but Knux reveals his familiarity with the Aquatic Mine and that he should be able to point them in the right direction before the Hooligans even get within an inch of it. The Chaotix agree and the four get a move on.

After Knuckles starts remembering his previous mission before he got caught up in the Chaotix and the Hooligans' little Emerald war and thinks about how Relic and Fixit are doing, we cut to them on Angel Island. Relic is still tooling around with a communications console to which Fixit asks why. She reveals that since she can't get anyone on the surface to respond, she decided to try and synch up the old systems of the Island itself. However, she's having just as much luck with it and says that it makes her feel like a moron. However, she does take a moment out of her spat of lowered confidence to compliment Fixit on doing a fine job assisting her and says that she's glad that she found him "under that rubble," to which Fixit replies that he lives to serve. Fixit tries to help her out by interfacing with the system directly, but gets fried. Relic asks him if he's okay to which he replies positively, reasoning that he's just not compatible with the post-Eggman affected systems. However, in that brief jolt, he was able to detect a strange energy reading in the Mushroom Hill Zone that seems ALIEN to the Island. (Gee, I wonder who it is? XD) Since Knux asked them to keep an eye on the Island, Relic decides that they should investigate. Fixit frets about it being potentially dangerous to which Relic replies that they'll be very quiet and if "some terrible beastie" assaults them, they'll just run VERY far away.

Back to K-Dawg and the Echidna Icers (What? It's a Sonic Adventure 2 Knuckles level so I'm setting the mood. XD), Knuckles reveals that the Emerald reading is getting stronger and still moving. Charmy asks how he can sense these things in the first place, to which Knux replies that it's a sixth sense that he's always known and that they say only the best treasure hunters can sense a precious gem from miles away. "Since when did you hunt for treasure? You're always watching the Master Emerald?" ""Always?" I can have hobbies, too, y'know." Knux asks why they keep Charmy around again to which Espio asks if HE would leave him to fend for himself and Vector replies that he writes him off as a "charitable cause" during tax season. Charmy finds one of SA2's famous switches and tries to press it, but Knux stops him, revealing what it really does to the Mine's water level. After Charmy gives Knux the run around with a "Why?" game, they head in deeper, finding a HUGE crack in the Earth itself. After realizing that they're really on the edge, Vector tells the others that this isn't simply about a paycheck, but also saving the planet. Knux asks where THEY were when the Gaia-fueled crack-up happened, to which Espio reveals that despite their office being far away from a fault line, EVERYTHING shook around them. He also wonders how the Hooligans can live with themselves depriving the Earth of its salvation.

Speaking of, Nack and crew are still on the Emerald track. He says that they need to find it as soon as possible so they can get it back to Eggman, to which Bark sighs, obviously not keen on handing over the world's last hope to a megalomaniac. Nack asks if he'd rather let the world sort itself out, to which the ursine giant frowns in reluctant acceptance. Meanwhile, back to Knuckles and the gang, they have another conversation about ghosts after Vector tries to spook Charmy again to which Knuckles succinctly says that if the ghosts are transparent, they shouldn't care, but if they're solid enough to hurt them, they can just clock them upside the phantasmal head. The Chaotix give his golden advice some applause and Rad Red takes it all in, calling himself a "seasoned expert" and suggesting that he probably already cleaned this place out the last time he was here. Charmy wonders about the Gaia monsters that they encountered on the surface to which Knux hopes that they'll STAY up there. After Espio suggests that they may be going the wrong way because they still haven't found the Emerald, Knux loses his cool a bit and says that they'd be moving faster if he didn't have to explain every little bit about the Mine to the detectives. He tells them that it's still moving, to which Vector suggests that it may be caught in a current, but Espio quickly shoots that thought down because the water is too stagnant. Vector asks who could POSSIBLY take it deeper into the Mine by themselves to which Espio suggests that maybe whoever it is are just as lost as they are. Charmy brings up the grim possibility that maybe the Hooligans found it already to which the rest of the Chaotix rush recklessly forward, Vector even grabbing Knuckles and using him as a metal detector. XD Suffice it to say, this gets Knux noticeably peeved and he tells Vector that he's already spent enough time getting distracted from his mission and that he's through helping them. Vector respects his wishes, but asks if he can at least point them in the right direction, to which Knux acquiesces, but suddenly detects that it's headed right for them! They go around a corner and discover the Emerald and Chip, who's obviously lost. The issue ends.

Enjoy! biggrin.png

ALL HAIL CHIP!

Basically, so far his concepts haven't been seen at all when going by the prior continuity's set-up, we should have at least heard of their whereabouts by now. In the first case, Hope is the one that raised flags and basically confirmed it since she wasn't at least name dropped at all in Shadow Fall despite us seeing a lot of G.U.N's scope throughout the arc. Now we have Finitevus to add to that.

And it's suspected that Archie are contacting the writers purely for reprint rights, not to use their characters in the new continuity. Which makes the aids even more unlikely to be asked to use their characters.

True, I missed Angelo, but he's the scant exception. 

Rumor has it that Archie wants to delete all the characters from the old writers, to avoid problems and to make the new universe more like the games, apparently they wanted to remove the Freedom Fighters too and make it a full reboot without memories, but Paul and Ian upgraded the SatAM cast and kept the memories. Which is why I am worried, from what I've heard, they treat the Freedom Fighters as the exceptions, they were obliged to drop every character but kept those SatAMers to make fans happy.

Though Ian said in various interviews that some old characters will be back in the future, he can't say who and when. That may either mean people like Shard and Thrash, or someone from the writers who weren't Penders allies, but the former is a lot more likely. I don't know what happened to Angelo's characters, but they may fall under Archie's plan to drop everyone. Nicole's design, once again, may be the exception.

As to whether or not Angelo's characters are safe, I believe the fact that his stories are still being reprinted in the Magazines and Digests is a good sign...

Basically, so far his concepts haven't been seen at all when going by the prior continuity's set-up, we should have at least heard of their whereabouts by now. In the first case, Hope is the one that raised flags and basically confirmed it since she wasn't at least name dropped at all in Shadow Fall despite us seeing a lot of G.U.N's scope throughout the arc. Now we have Finitevus to add to that.

And it's suspected that Archie are contacting the writers purely for reprint rights, not to use their characters in the new continuity. Which makes the aids even more unlikely to be asked to use their characters.

True, I missed Angelo, but he's the scant exception. 

No prior writers concepts have shown up in the book yet. Ian's still setting up the new world. He was probably told to write Countdown to Chaos and the Sonic Unleashed adaptation without any of the other creatives characters or concepts incase things went south like with Penders.

Even so, what would be the point of someone off-handly mentioning Mina, or Ian have her in the background somewhere just so he can say "Hey looks it's Mina, but she has no relevance to the planet shattering or the Freedom Fighters remembering the old world!"? It's just bad story telling. When and if she and the other characters return, i'd rather they were relevant to what was happening their and then, not just there for the sake of having her shown.

Regarding Hope; Ian has reinvented Snively because SEGA doesn't want him related to Eggman. If Julian Snively is part of GUN now, their isn't much point having Hope around too. For all we know she's been reinvented too and placed elsewhere in the world so she isn't related to Eggman too.

Regarding Hope; Ian has reinvented Snively because SEGA doesn't want him related to Eggman. If Julian Snively is part of GUN now, their isn't much point having Hope around too. For all we know she's been reinvented too and placed elsewhere in the world so she isn't related to Eggman too.

Or Snively replaced her because she couldn't be used.

Or Snively replaced her because she couldn't be used.

If you want to be negative and think the worst, sure. 

All i'm saying is don't jump to conclusions. Ian has said pre252 characters are returning sometime in the future and we don't know who they are. Instantly assuming they'll never been seen in book again, causing panic and confusion, doesn't help anyone.  

No prior writers concepts have shown up in the book yet. Ian's still setting up the new world. He was probably told to write Countdown to Chaos and the Sonic Unleashed adaptation without any of the other creatives characters or concepts incase things went south like with Penders.

Even so, what would be the point of someone off-handly mentioning Mina, or Ian have her in the background somewhere just so he can say "Hey looks it's Mina, but she has no relevance to the planet shattering or the Freedom Fighters remembering the old world!"? It's just bad story telling. When and if she and the other characters return, i'd rather they were relevant to what was happening their and then, not just there for the sake of having her shown.

You know, your point about not off-handedly mentioning other characters falls flat when that's exactly what happened in #257. Lupe and Dulcy had zero relevance to the plot there aside from the fact Sally had helped them in the past. In the prior continuity, Mina had far more involvement with Sally than Dulcy did in the end. You'd think she would come up first if anyone was going to be brought up.

And as for Hope, the three big parts of her character were that she was with G.U.N, she was closely linked to Snively, and that she had a bond with Shadow. If two of those aspects are gone already, it'd hardly be Hope any more even if she was allowed.

And look, at first I did have a positive outlook (well, aside for Ken's stuff). But the more I'm seeing in the comic and reading in various places, the less I'm convinced of that optimistic outlook. 

Here's something I've been wondering: how will the comic deal with Chip's name?

What I mean is, in the game Sonic gave Chip his name because of the ice cream thing. How could we possibly get to that in the comic?

Unless he's just always gonna be "Light Gaia" in Archie canon, which would make the SU#65 pretty misleading. Oh wait...

You know, your point about not off-handedly mentioning other characters falls flat when that's exactly what happened in #257. Lupe and Dulcy had zero relevance to the plot there aside from the fact Sally had helped them in the past. In the prior continuity, Mina had far more involvement with Sally than Dulcy did in the end. You'd think she would come up first if anyone was going to be brought up.

And as for Hope, the three big parts of her character were that she was with G.U.N, she was closely linked to Snively, and that she had a bond with Shadow. If two of those aspects are gone already, it'd hardly be Hope any more even if she was allowed.

And look, at first I did have a positive outlook (well, aside for Ken's stuff). But the more I'm seeing in the comic and reading in various places, the less I'm convinced of that optimistic outlook. 

Pretty sure Dulcy and Lupe's name drops was because Ian wanted to re-establish all the SatAM references he could/was allowed before SEGA had a problem with it. Remember, Archie had to fight to keep the SatAM elements in the book after the reboot because SEGA wanted an all game book according to Jon Gray. At the end of "Shadow Fall", Ian had reintroduced or name dropped any SatAM characters he was bringing back. And like I said, Ian was probably writing this during the crossover and was told not to reference any characters that 'don't belong to them'. If Archie is trying to secure the copyright etc it could take years to go through.

Also, how do we know Sally knows Mina, Ash etc in this world? Or many of the other characters that she knew in the old world(if they exist)? Things probably happened a lot differently to all of them, especially if any of Penders' characters were involved in there back stories.

The problem with that logic is that if SEGA had a problem with it before the reboot, what would make it any worse after the reboot? Archie already fought and secured the SatAM cast (probably based on seniority to the comic), but probably had the proviso that they don't bring in any SatAM cast that hadn't already been in the comic because of the cartoon being obsolete. After the securing, you'd basically be left with an infinite time window to reintroduce them (especially when Ian doesn't have a solid plan for Dulcy yet. If they have an issue with her, they could still spring it up on Ian not long she was due to appear, regardless of being mentioned before or not). That should not have a bearing.

And Mina had zero Penders characters in her back story, so she wouldn't have to be altered that much (story-wise), especially when we have a case just like that (Mordred, aside from the apparent absence of the Chaotix busting in once, is basically exactly where he was before the crossover). 

The problem with that logic is that if SEGA had a problem with it before the reboot, what would make it any worse after the reboot? Archie already fought and secured the SatAM cast (probably based on seniority to the comic), but probably had the proviso that they don't bring in any SatAM cast that hadn't already been in the comic because of the cartoon being obsolete. After the securing, you'd basically be left with an infinite time window to reintroduce them (especially when Ian doesn't have a solid plan for Dulcy yet. If they have an issue with her, they could still spring it up on Ian not long she was due to appear, regardless of being mentioned before or not). That should not have a bearing.

And Mina had zero Penders characters in her back story, so she wouldn't have to be altered that much (story-wise), especially when we have a case just like that (Mordred, aside from the apparent absence of the Chaotix busting in once, is basically exactly where he was before the crossover). 

I don't think SEGA has a problem with the SatAM cast per say, I'm assuming they saw the reboot as an opportunity to make the book more 'game focused', and wanted to remove the characters that don't have any bearing or relevance to the current SegaSonic canon. 

Mina was just an example. But it's not just Penders' characters involvement that could change the backstories, it's the other creatives too. Say Karl Bollers allowed Mina to be used, but Scott Fulop decided not to allow Archie to use his characters; Mina would then need a new backstory because Mogul gave Mina her super-speed.

Regarding Mordred though, he was a very new character before the reboot and had nothing to do with anything relating to the previous writers concepts other than being the Mercian Dark Egg Legion leader.

Here's something I've been wondering: how will the comic deal with Chip's name?

What I mean is, in the game Sonic gave Chip his name because of the ice cream thing. How could we possibly get to that in the comic?

Unless he's just always gonna be "Light Gaia" in Archie canon, which would make the SU#65 pretty misleading. Oh wait...

I presume Charmy and/or Bean will be involved with that.

I do miss Mogul but even back when he was a large part of certain story arcs I used to think that he took a lot of territory from Nagus. So perhaps they will work a lot of Mogul's character into Nagus. Have him be all all powerful, able to use chaos energy, mental chess playing wizard villan.

I presume Charmy and/or Bean will be involved with that.

Christ I hope not, if Sonic's not the one to do it it just feels cheapened :/

Christ I hope not, if Sonic's not the one to do it it just feels cheapened :/

Despite the fact that Sonic is in a completely different arc?