Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

They were self important, pissant assholes, who while being practically useless their entire time in the book, were so infuriatingly dickish it hurts to acknowledge their presence.

Well I happen to like them, so don't expect me to share that opinion.

Rosemary never seemed to let go her hatred of the royal family even after the formation of the council meant a best-case scenario for everyone.

I mean when Sally disobeys the council, Rosemary immediately starts babbling about a royal conspiracy, saying that Elias is probably involved as well; which is a REALLY SERIOUS accusation, especially since it was really just Sally messing with the rules to get what she wants. I mean Elias is her co-worker but the second something minor goes wrong she's all like Royal Conspiracy!

Plus she was the first on the council to suggest that Naugus takes the throne. Even though he tried to kill her son. And then she has the audacity to act sad when Elias leaves even though Naugus' rise to power is to no small part on her. 

Plus she was part of the whole 'Let's banish Nicole even though she built this city and it's technically her's' thing.

The way I see it, she and her husband were fine until Ian Flynn ruined them with House of Cards. If she wasn't part of the council (which was a stupid idea anyway) you would probably find her likeable.

It's not an opinion. ;p

If it weren't for Ian, you would probably wouldn't even find them. As in, the only time you saw them in the flesh in the present was when they were in space that one issue and had little to zero insight into their characters.

• Thumbs Up 2

Alright, here's the stuffs.

image_zps41dd39c5.jpg

image_zpsa4d0f32d.jpg

image_zps37931c09.jpg

image_zpsd9fca132.jpg

image_zpsa764a785.jpg

image_zpsac8d8061.jpg

image_zpsacf025eb.jpg

image_zpsa5990562.jpg

image_zps226a2e9d.jpg

image_zps5ecde38a.jpg

image_zps144a59cc.jpg

image_zps22dcf0ee.jpg

image_zpsc8691c28.jpg

image_zpsb3ca560d.jpg

image_zps556f0254.jpg

Man, they did not want to skimp on this image taking. 

• Thumbs Up 6

We don't expect you to share our opinion on them; just respect that there are legitimate reasons for us to dislike them.

The way I see it, she and her husband were fine until Ian Flynn ruined them with House of Cards. If she wasn't part of the council (which was a stupid idea anyway) you would probably find her likeable.

Well, let's be honest here: prior to their return in #170, they barely had any presence in the story at all, certainly not even remotely enough to harbor much of an opinion in either direction.

• Thumbs Up 2

Meh, when it comes to the council, I never cared about them. I can honestly see why people hate them, but I could never form a strong opinion about them. They were more or less there to wrap Sonic and crew in red tape, Hamlin was obviously a spiteful ass, and they were more or less involved in putting Naugus on the throne (somewhat unwillingly considering Rotor and Chuck). I have to wonder if, following the Mecha Sally arc (since Sonic actually decided to play by their rules when forming Team Freedom and Team Fighters), things would've started working out for them. They were now seeing Naugus for who he was and often ruled against him, and seemed to have the people's best interests in mind considering they actually allowed Sonic and crew more freedom to do what they want (when they went out of their way to keep them from doing anything proactive before).

I guess we can only wait for "The Lost Hedgehog Tales," but as they were before the reboot, I can't say I'm overly upset about losing them at the moment. Especially when they're not the worst casualties.

It's not an opinion. ;p

Yes it is.

If it weren't for Ian, you would probably wouldn't even find them. As in, the only time you saw them in the flesh in the present was when they were in space that one issue and had little to zero insight into their characters.

So? He didn't have to ruin them by making them political activists!

So? He didn't have to ruin them by making them political activists!

No, he didn't have to, but again, there wasn't much of anything to like or dislike about them before (or in, even) #170.

• Thumbs Up 2

Meh, when it comes to the council, I never cared about them. I can honestly see why people hate them, but I could never form a strong opinion about them. They were more or less there to wrap Sonic and crew in red tape, Hamlin was obviously a spiteful ass, and they were more or less involved in putting Naugus on the throne (somewhat unwillingly considering Rotor and Chuck). I have to wonder if, following the Mecha Sally arc (since Sonic actually decided to play by their rules when forming Team Freedom and Team Fighters), things would've started working out for them. They were now seeing Naugus for who he was and often ruled against him, and seemed to have the people's best interests in mind considering they actually allowed Sonic and crew more freedom to do what they want (when they went out of their way to keep them from doing anything proactive before).

I guess we can only wait for "The Lost Hedgehog Tales," but as they were before the reboot, I can't say I'm overly upset about losing them at the moment. Especially when they're not the worst casualties.

That was a problem I had with the old continuity. When ever king max or the council of acorn was involved something stupid had to happen. Like after sonic and tails chased nuagus and king max was back to normal he showed the freedom fighters gratitude by sending them to high school and separating Sally from the team. The kids who spend their entire lives accomplishing more than any of his army, gaurds and secret spies could do

Not to mention every time they appeared it halted the progression of the story to a screeching halt, all so we could see some nobody characters complaining about how no one listens to them and how they're in charge in a book called Sonic the Hedgehog.

That was a problem I had with the old continuity. When ever king max or the council of acorn was involved something stupid had to happen. Like after sonic and tails chased nuagus and king max was back to normal he showed the freedom fighters gratitude by sending them to high school and separating Sally from the team. The kids who spend their entire lives accomplishing more than any of his army, gaurds and secret spies could do

I must be missing issues but for some reason the high school thing doesn't ring a bell. I know there was a story where Amy and Tails were sent to school (I didn't understand the reasoning then, either) in, like, #111 or so (I'm guessing it was after "Sonic Adventure"). That said a lot of the decisions made by Old!King Acorn and the Council do tend to just seem arbitrary and for the sake of making things harder for Sonic and crew when they've proven to be more capable than anyone that was barking orders. Does make me appreciate the New!King Acorn, who seems to recognize the Freedom Fighters' worth and doesn't hold them back from what's really important.

At least the new King Acorn is competent for the most part

I liked the council, they were right on a lot of things.

No country should have mercenaries playing de facto police and army without supervision, especially rogue ones that simply ignore the democratically elected leadership.

And I'm pretty sure the story intended for Nicole's nanite city to be viewed as creepy and reckless.

Plus you can hardily blame them for King Naugus either, since their minds were literally being influenced by magic at the time. If the Acorn family hadn't been so hell bent on keeping a nasty archaic institution like the monarchy around in the first place then Naugus wouldn't ever have gotten the opportunity to take over.

I liked the council, they were right on a lot of things.

No country should have mercenaries playing de facto police and army without supervision, especially rouge ones that simply ignore the democratically elected leadership.

And I'm pretty sure the story intended for Nicole's nanite city to be viewed as creepy and reckless.

Plus you can hardily blame them for King Naugus either, since their minds were literally being influenced by magic at the time. If the Acorn family hadn't been so hell bent on keeping a nasty archaic institution like the monarchy around in the first place then Naugus wouldn't ever have gotten the opportunity to take over.

I don't think the Council was under Naugus's spell though. He planned to control them after he noticed the people slipping away from him, but he failed ("Secret Freedom"). The only reason the people turned to him was because his powers trumped the Nanites, which everyone considered "evil" because of the Iron Queen controlling NICOLE.

As i understand it Naugus already used a subtle mind controlling spell over most of the city by the time Mina had her concert, it just wasn't enough for Naugus and his later plan was to take total control over them.

I must be missing issues but for some reason the high school thing doesn't ring a bell. I know there was a story where Amy and Tails were sent to school (I didn't understand the reasoning then, either) in, like, #111 or so (I'm guessing it was after "Sonic Adventure"). 

sonic94.jpg

It was a nice cover.

As i understand it Naugus already used a subtle mind controlling spell over most of the city by the time Mina had her concert, it just wasn't enough for Naugus and his later plan was to take total control over them.

Naugus's spells can alter people like Dark Gaia. In the past, it made King Max think that the Sonic and Sally were telling him the Robians were planning an attack and that they needed to be arrested/destroyed, even though they weren't even really there.

In fact, it got to the point where the soldiers were under Naugus' spell and Uncle Chuck was almost killed.

Only good magic could break the spell, like the Sword of Acorns.

However, since he was just getting his sanity back, I'm not sure how good his bad magic was, especially after the first Genesis Wave.

sonic94.jpg

It was a nice cover.

Ooooh, OK. I'd seen the cover before but had no idea what number it was. The issues around the 90s are part of the gaps in my old collection.

Cover's not bad, though. Mina looks weird, but Spaz's anime influence around that time was kinda hit and miss (but still leagues better than some of the crap produced for the interiors).

I'm missing a few issues (#221-223), so I wasn't aware Naugus used any magic on the people at the time (I hadn't seen any reference to it either). It seemed, to me, that St. John thought Naugus was indeed the legitimate heir to the throne, so he just had Naugus appeal directly to the Council instead of relying on dirty tricks. Mina was already sort of "raging against the machine" before he returned, and her attitude and music already influenced people to not trust NICOLE. Naugus having a few happy accidents (restoring Bunnie and stopping the Titan Metal Sonic) as well as his magic being able to counter the Nanites people already didn't trust made it seem like he just fell into popular opinion by default. The Council ruled in his favor because everyone else wanted NICOLE out, so I didn't read any of that as being under some kind of spell.

Cover's not bad, though. Mina looks weird

>mina looks weird

>not "absolutely horrifying oh jeezus sanic eyes don't work that way wat r u doing stahp"

:U

>mina looks weird

>not "absolutely horrifying oh jeezus sanic eyes don't work that way wat r u doing stahp"

:U

I've seen far, far worse on this book, so it really doesn't faze me that badly.

I must be one of the few people here who enjoyed the Council as a hate sink then. =/

S'no big deal tho. Aside from Mina's mom getting on the council and seeing how things would have played out after Naugus, there's not much I was too attached with.

Thing about governments seeming to believe they know better than the people actually doing the stuff as a trade, that happens a lot. Like, real life it happens quite a bit in businesses, it's the reason why Atari failed when it was bought out, happens when other businesses are bought out. While, it should be obvious the suits in charge DON'T know, it still happens.

The council seemed more antagonistic than anything because their adherence to rules was screwing everything over big time.  Hamlin especially was that guy you loved to hate.

• Thumbs Up 2

What I thought was the entire point of the Council being around was simply conflict, something to give the heroes more to struggle with as more things got developed and set up for future arcs.

However, I have to admit that Ian did drag things on a bit. The funny thing about it is that it seemed like he was nearing his own Endgame to this arc...then fucking Penders actions screwed it over.