Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Something's I jotted down from the interview not everything is accurate though

. He tried being a writer for colors

They didn't let him be a writer for it, but they hired the super-recomended Pontac. Grrr... not surprised, but still angry at SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 1

I doubt it would have been any better since Sega would have still had Ian on a leash in his place.

Speaking of cats, I keep seeing people asking for "Honey the Cat" in the fanletters section of the comic? I don't really understand it, though. Wasn't she not even a one-off character in Sonic the Fighters? Or are they talking about a fan character..?

Speaking of cats, I keep seeing people asking for "Honey the Cat" in the fanletters section of the comic? I don't really understand it, though. Wasn't she not even a one-off character in Sonic the Fighters? Or are they talking about a fan character..?

Nah, they're talking about the StF Honey the Cat. Apparently she wasn't on the cards for a long while (out of Ian's choice) due to just being leftover coding. Since the PSN/XBLA port however, she's become fair game. 

I doubt it would have been any better since Sega would have still had Ian on a leash in his place.

If anything, I think the games would be even more restrictive than we think the comics are. He'd basically be stuck localizing whatever Sonic Team/SEGA throw at him rather than coming up with an original story. Even though Pontac and Graff wrote the original script for Lost World, they technically didn't make the story; Sonic Team already created the Deadly Six, Lost Hex, the whole shebang. Pontac and Graff just organized a plot for them, at best.

I think the desire for Honey and Tiara Boobowski (from the cancelled.Sonic X-treme) is not only for them to get time to shine like the equally obscure Battle Bird Armada and Bark & Bean, but to also get more (nearly) canon female game characters.

There was a pic posted a few pages back that actually gave the fugly characters from Tails Sky Patol a really, really nice modern SEGA Sonic redesign, but with Ian saying that certain games can't be mentioned or part of the comic canon (let alone having THOSE designs from a DA artist not under contract obviously), they'll never happen.

Thrash himself was based on a game glitch, so the desire to see these female characters who were planned for official games and are otherwise SEGA property is understandable.

... why point TSP specifically as one of the games Ian said can't happen when they're specifically nodding to it via the Sky Patrol?

Also Thrash wasn't a glitch, just a visual effect.

True, the ship itself would look good for Sky Patrol and its characters, but if VEDJ-F is right and a game like Knuckles Chaotix might get tossed out, there might not be hope for such lower key games, such as Sky Patrol or Tails Adventure... maybe the name could be all that was useable?

Or whatever. Maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic.

Technically, they've already adapted Tails Sky Patrol during Tails' Unverse Arc. Then made more use of them before the Secret Freedom Fighters arc when they blew a hole in New Mobotropolis.

But I'd still like them being used more tho.

True, the ship itself would look good for Sky Patrol and its characters, but if VEDJ-F is right and a game like Knuckles Chaotix might get tossed out, there might not be hope for such lower key games, such as Sky Patrol or Tails Adventure... maybe the name could be all that was useable?

Or whatever. Maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic.

Considering they let Tails' Adventure happen a few years ago (especially when it was off the table for years even when it first came out), it'd be a real shame for them to go back and toss it now. I say that mostly because I liked how the Battle Bird Armada were building up, and liked how they were connected to Bean, the Rogues, and Predator Hawk (who's gone, but we still have the others), but don't see how they'd be unfit in this continuity.

It could help define some kind of origin for Tails this time around (didn't Tails' Adventure take place before the events of the original Sonic in the JPN manual?) since SEGA no longer wants Sonic and Tails being associated with the Freedom Fighters when they were younger now, apparently.

My theory for Knuckles Chaotix relies on unusual outside factors, not the fact it's old and obscure. 

My theory for Knuckles Chaotix relies on unusual outside factors, not the fact it's old and obscure. 

Huh. What kind of outside factors would those be though? I can't think of any, short of the incarnations being so different from the originals, and even then, that could be explained away.

In regards to people speculating over which games are or aren't canon: are there any games that have been specifically mentioned either way in interviews or anything (outside of the stuff blatantly suggested in the comic itself)?

I've read on various wikis and message boards that Lost World isn't canon just yet (presumably because they will do an adaptation after the current arc) and also that Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood isn't (probably because of Penders), but I've only ever heard those tidbits through second hand info. 

Huh. What kind of outside factors would those be though? I can't think of any, short of the incarnations being so different from the originals, and even then, that could be explained away.

Well, you got in the right ballpark, but the key thing is that SoJ sees the modern Chaotix as entirely different characters to the ones seen in Knuckles Chaotix, not just changed. 

Technically, they've already adapted Tails Sky Patrol during Tails' Unverse Arc. Then made more use of them before the Secret Freedom Fighters arc when they blew a hole in New Mobotropolis.

But I'd still like them being used more tho.

No that's Tails' Adventure. Sky Patrol was the one with the witch and her three minions

No that's Tails' Adventure. Sky Patrol was the one with the witch and her three minions

Ah, my fault. I tend to mix up the names at times.

I dunno why Tails Sky Patrol wouldn't be adapted, to be honest. Only reason I can think is that it technically only saw original release in Japan (SegaSonic Arcade at least managed to get to London, if not in small amounts), and even that's a huge stretch given that it's seen an international re-release.

In regards to people speculating over which games are or aren't canon: are there any games that have been specifically mentioned either way in interviews or anything (outside of the stuff blatantly suggested in the comic itself)?

I've read on various wikis and message boards that Lost World isn't canon just yet (presumably because they will do an adaptation after the current arc) and also that Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood isn't (probably because of Penders), but I've only ever heard those tidbits through second hand info.

I believe there's a few already that Ian's mention on plus4chan, like... something Highway Fighter?

The Chaotix thing reminds me when Buff Vector was used in the comic and was explained as him working out with Mighty.

Waku Waku Sonic Patrolcar and Sonic Galaxy Fighter, IIRC (keep misremembering their names). Two 1993-IIRC "arcade" games (one's a patrol car kids get in and ride, the other's a spaceship).

It's obvious why he isn't adapting them, but denying them tbh strikes me sour. I don't want a Sonic comic that's apparently too serious to say "oh and there was that time I was a police for a day".

Wait, was it Ian's choice or were those orders from SEGA to not use them?

But you know what games Sonic's in that I'M pissed at him for not adapting? Smash Bros. I mean, even Mega Man is there, it coulda be Worlds Collide 2: Crossover Harder! It's an excuse to print money! :P

But you know what games Sonic's in that I'M pissed at him for not adapting? Smash Bros. I mean, even Mega Man is there, it coulda be Worlds Collide 2: Crossover Harder! It's an excuse to print money! :P

That would be so awesome, but we would be relying on Nintendo's go ahead. Considering they turned down the pretty nice looking pitch stuff Archie sent them last time, I can't imagine them saying yes this time.

In saying that tho Nintendo did announce they are open to licensing out their characters again now but under supervision. Might be a good time to send that pitch again and let them have their marketing in on it like Sega is with the Sonic comic. Another crossover would be great marketing for Smash's upcoming release.

Well obviously they would need the key franchises if they were ever to adapt that

...I know, I was trying to make a joke, hence the tongue smiley. Guess that didn't really go through, huh?

That would be so awesome, but we would be relying on Nintendo's go ahead. Considering they turned down the pretty nice looking pitch stuff Archie sent them last time, I can't imagine them saying yes this time.

In saying that tho Nintendo did announce they are open to licensing out their characters again now but under supervision. Might be a good time to send that pitch again and let them have their marketing in on it like Sega is with the Sonic comic. Another crossover would be great marketing for Smash's upcoming release.

When was this pitch made, and for what Nintendo franchise? I'm surprised to hear that Nintendo is open for comics, but no one is taking, like IDW considering what's in their line nowadays.

Didn't someone post some of the pages sent in with the pitch a couple hundred pages back when this came up originally? The artwork was really nice, was a shame Nintendo sad no back then. I could fish the announcement up from somewhere if anyone's interested or wants to pass it on to Ian, but yeah Nintendo basically said from earlier this year that their franchises were open to licensing as long as it wasn't by a direct competitor. The only other rule seemed to be that the core franchises would have a lot more say from Nintendo and whoever wanted to license them had to be willing to play ball. But I don't see why Archie couldn't give it another shot, best chance they have at the moment I would say.

Edit : Your digging beat my reply VEDJ-F haha, damn but they still look good. Would love to see all of them in a comic form.