Awoo.

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Marcello

If you get the best possible ending in the original story, Pit will grow up into a MAN ICARUS or something, and Palutena kisses him, since she realizes that she can't live out her sicko pedophile fantasies.

I think that's just because EVERY video game character got kissed back then. Not too big of a deal.

I mean, she's a god, and he's an angel. There's this class hierarchy there that you don't mess with.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know who I'd like to see in the next Smash Bros though? That Ganondorf guy. They went three games without having him.

Yeah... ;~;

Leaked story info:

"Medusa is back - and this time, she's relatively attractive! Having ditched her "fat old hag with a pink dress" look from the classic days, Medusa set out to beat the gorgeous Palutena at the Miss Olympus beauty contest. However, despite her makeover, Medusa still could not win and Palutena was crowned Miss Olympus for the umpteenth year in a row. In a fit of rage, Medusa has sent forth her minions to seek revenge and overturn the result. Pit, being Palutena's greatest admirer, will stop at nothing to ensure his one true love stays in the number one spot".

I'd buy it.

kid-icarus-1.jpg

lol, the only one I somewhat like(beside th eone from Nintendo) is the second from right ^^. I don't understand why fans would like Pit to look like that, though :-/

Every design aside from Sakurai's is shit. I was in total rage mode when "sources close to Nintendo confirmed these Pit designs". Jesus that would have been horrible.

By the way, Palutena is too hot to afford 2 socks.

Fixed.

By the way, Palutena x Pit is so canon.

And Palutena is such a shota.

Also totally with MK on the Palutena obsession thing ;P

@ Nathan:

CLASS CANNOT STOP TRUE LOVE.

Edited by SuperLink

Also totally with MK on the Palutena obsession thing ;P

I don't even know why I like her so much. I mean, I'd seen her in Brawl before and wasn't that interested, but ever since the Uprising trailer... wow... she's become my new favourite female game character, second only to Rosalina. :o

Proof that looking good and being in something awesome will guarantee you success!

• Thumbs Up 1

@ Nathan:

CLASS CANNOT STOP TRUE LOVE.

NO MORTAL CLASS THAT IS. THESE ARE THE GODLY CLASSES.

also would you really want a godgle? that sounds like google's god of searching.

NO MORTAL CLASS THAT IS. THESE ARE THE GODLY CLASSES.

also would you really want a godgle? that sounds like google's god of searching.

We can't claim to know how the romances of angels and gods work. ;)

But we can write fiction about them!

And so it shall be done. Sakurai, go forth with your shippyness.

(Please)

But we can write fiction about them!

And so it shall be done. Sakurai, go forth with your shippyness.

(Please)

If Sakurai doesn't, I will.

Wink wink. ;)

Well i'm the god of being fucking amazing so yeah I think I can.

prick.

I'm assuming that there probably won't be any Pit/Palutena romance this time around. The last time it happened when Pit "grew up" so that it was appropriate, but now that ending has seemingly been disregarded since the sequel features Pit as a young kid again(as did Kid Icarus of Myths and Monsters) That, and it's probably a bit more taboo nowadays.

It was probably a one-time thing like with Zelda 2.

EDIT: Holy shit, this sparked a lot of conversation.

Edited by The Soldier

Whoa...what the fuck is this shit?

I take a look at the trailer and what do I see?

Fast-paced action. Dynamic sense of flight. Smooth Ground combat. Weapons. 3D.

My GOD my eyes are burning from the awesomeness of that trailer...why the hell is this for the 3DS?!

Oh well, I don't particularly care. I'm hooked on this game already. Someone sure knows how to bring in the crowd. B)

Old art is old to me. This was out the day the game was announced.

But it is pretty damn cool. I'd say I like Medusa's redesign the most. Not because it's a personal favorite, but because it is easily the biggest upgrade. Anyone else remember what she looked like in the original game's art?

medusa_kid_icarus.jpg

She looked like the swamp-monster with curly hair and a pink moo-moo.

The original game was weird about Medusa's appearance, She looked like that until you killed her and then her eye disappears revealing a human looking woman inside of it, who then falls to the ground and vanishes.

kid-icarus-1.jpg

lol, the only one I somewhat like(beside th eone from Nintendo) is the second from right ^^. I don't understand why fans would like Pit to look like that, though :-/

By the way, Palutena is too poor to afford 2 socks.

Because a lot of people have this arbitray idea in their head that "mature" means either bald or some kind of little beard like a flavor saver or something.

And I thought I would have to be the one to bring up Queen Onesock here.

If I recall correctly, the stylus controls the camera, the slider moves Pit, and one of the shoulder buttons shoots (I think it might be L). Gameplay on the top screen will be typical of 3DS games, because the bottom screen can't render in 3D.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=18225

I wonder how the Stylus will be used. My guess is aiming, but the gameplay is on the top screen. It could of course be like Metroid Prime Hunters..

Yup, what Hero of Fate said.

Stylus controls the camera, analogue slider to move, L button to shoot/attack.

So in that sense I guess it is just like Metroid Prime Hunters. But hopefully more awesome.

So in that sense I guess it is just like Metroid Prime Hunters. But hopefully more awesome.

It better be, because MPH was shit.

I don't know why, but up until now I've been under the impression that Kid Icarus would be a small, short on-railsey type game with an incredibly shallow plot, rather than a big adventure game with a really exciting plot that makes us feel attached to the characters.

To be honest, I don't know what to think. Will Kid Icarus be as big as a Metroid or Zelda game? It's impossible to tell what to expect at this point, but I just thought about the idea of it being a huge adventure game and my excitement soared, perhaps too much.

Basically, I can't believe there's a new Kid Icarus title coming out! As far as game revivals go, it seems like it has almost nothing that resembles the originals, which is a good thing really. It shows that as long as a franchise still has fresh ideas that can be used, it won't die. It'll come back... eventually. Even if it takes two decades.

Nintendo are now developing a game for every one of their big franchises, it's pretty amazing. Except F-Zero. Poor F-Zero.

Edited by SuperLink

It better be, because MPH was shit.

I don't know why, but up until now I've been under the impression that Kid Icarus would be a small, short on-railsey type game with an incredibly shallow plot, rather than a big adventure game with a really exciting plot that makes us feel attached to the characters.

To be honest, I don't know what to think. Will Kid Icarus be as big as a Metroid or Zelda game? It's impossible to tell what to expect at this point, but I just thought about the idea of it being a huge adventure game and my excitement soared, perhaps too much.

I agree that Uprising being a huge adventure game would be super sweet. I'm not expecting anything quite as grand or epic as Metroid or Zelda, but I think in terms of the scale of the action and the production values of the game, it'll at least feel like something big. Heck, in that trailer alone we've seen Pit taking down enemies on foot and in the sky, confronting the huge ass fiery Twinbellows, dodging laser beams, flying alongside a massive flying ship... yeah, I don't think this will be a shallow plot at all. Not with sequences like those. And the voice acting will help out tremendously. It's not just a lifeless character facing off against his adversaries. We're gonna feel connected to the heroes and ultimately involved in the story. It's like a whole new kind of 3D!

Anyway, something else I've noticed from the trailer:

Palutena tells Pit that "the miracle of flight" will only last five minutes and then his wings will perish. Does this perhaps suggest a time limit for flying sections (or for certain bits of flying sections like when Pit's wings glow), or was it something introduced in the original games?

Man, this game is making me want to go play the original on Virtual Console now, but I've heard mixed opinions of it - some say it's great, others say it's a frustrating and average. Hmm. I guess I might try out the demo on Brawl, see what I think. At least that way if I don't like it I can just play some kick-ass brawls with the newly designed Pit!

Oh, and can someone clarify what Pit says in the trailer before "BARK LIKE A DOG!"? I've narrowed it down to either "the Pit of old has a few new moves to show you!" or "this Pitbull has a few new moves to show you!". It's a bit unclear though.

The original game was weird about Medusa's appearance, She looked like that until you killed her and then her eye disappears revealing a human looking woman inside of it, who then falls to the ground and vanishes.

Well, the final boss Medusa is seemingly just a giant statue on a wall, so the in-game artwork isn't particularly accurate. I was just making an observation of the official art itself, not Medusa as a character.

Oh, and can someone clarify what Pit says in the trailer before "BARK LIKE A DOG!"? I've narrowed it down to either "the Pit of old has a few new moves to show you!" or "this Pitbull has a few new moves to show you!". It's a bit unclear though.

It's this.

And it makes sense, considering he's fought Twinbellows before.

I believe he's saying "the Pit of old has a few new tricks to show you!" EDIT: ninja'd

I agree that if this is a big adventure game it would be awesome. I hope it's successful because I personally love Pit and sure wouldn't mind seeing him join the ranks of Mario and Link as one of Nintendo's main series.

Edited by Noir

Palutena tells Pit that "the miracle of flight" will only last five minutes and then his wings will perish. Does this perhaps suggest a time limit for flying sections (or for certain bits of flying sections like when Pit's wings glow), or was it something introduced in the original games?

Pretty much. In the original games, when Pit learnt how to fly, he wasn't able to do it for long before he fell. Also it's an allusion to the original tale of Icarus. I think the flying sections will be timed, and he has to fight on the ground to let his wings rest for a while, probably limiting him to double jumps and maybe a flap or two in the ground based missions.

I'm hoping that at the end of the game, Pit is able to fly freely, letting us free roam and visit previous areas and whatnot. That would be epic, but I might be hoping for too much here.

Man, this game is making me want to go play the original on Virtual Console now, but I've heard mixed opinions of it - some say it's great, others say it's a frustrating and average. Hmm. I guess I might try out the demo on Brawl, see what I think. At least that way if I don't like it I can just play some kick-ass brawls with the newly designed Pit!

I find it impossible to enjoy NES games anymore. I found it frustrating and average.

Edited by SuperLink

Pretty much. In the original games, when Pit learnt how to fly, he wasn't able to do it for long before he fell. Also it's an allusion to the original tale of Icarus.

Yeah I know about the reference to Icarus, that's what got me wondering whether it was just something to do with the story rather than levels being timed or whatever :)

Which brings me on nicely to the topic of why Greek mythology is making me love this game even more than I ordinarily would. I love Greek mythology as it is, but there's so many nice little references in the trailer alone - Twinbellows is obviously based on Cerberus, there's some flying hydra boss, Pit himself is obviously based on the Icarus story... it's all the old favourites but with new twists. Awesome.

Oh, and of course Palutena. She definitely makes me interested in this game. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Pit can't fly until the last stage with the Wings of Pegasus(it's weird, I know) or if he's picked up an Angel Feather and falls off screen, in which case he can come back up with limited flight. If I could compare that to anything, it's like Beat from Mega Man.

It's really hard to recommend it, even if I like the game. It's difficult, and sometimes difficult in a really annoying way, but it's very satisfying to beat and get the best ending. It definitely can be frustrating, and for that I only really recommend playing it if you've got the patience. And you've gotta re-beat the game or grind in the first playthrough to really even get that ending.

As much as I like the original Kid Icarus, I find it difficult to recommend to anyone who isn't prepared to put up with a lot of bullshit. You can expect to be able to jump in and play the new one without needing to have played the original.

And I'm personally glad it's distancing itself from the first game in terms of how its played, if not because I want them to mix it up, but because this seems more ambitious and epic.

I love me some Greek mythology too, so that definitely draws me in. I hope they keep a good mix of bits based on Greek myths and made up parts. While an entire game focusing on myths isn't a bad thing, I'd like to see a lot of creativity too.

I love me some Greek mythology too, so that definitely draws me in. I hope they keep a good mix of bits based on Greek myths and made up parts. While an entire game focusing on myths isn't a bad thing, I'd like to see a lot of creativity too.

Yup, it looks like it will be a good mix of mythological inspiration and originality.

Oh and cheers for your opinions on the original game for me guys ;) I'll probably avoid downloading it on VC now, but I may still try out the demo on Brawl just so I have some idea what I'm getting excited about with Uprising.

That and I'll just use Pit in the Subspace Emissary and pretend it's a Kid Icarus game. B)

That and I'll just use Pit in the Subspace Emissary and pretend it's a Kid Icarus game. B)

Straying off topic for a second, I just want to say I did that with Sonic.

Best console Sonic game since Adventure 2.

Judging from the trailer it seems the game will be a mix of rail shooting, light platforming, and beat em up. It didn't look like it would have any adventure aspect that approaches anything near Zelda or Metroid. I'd love for this series to become Nintendo's next big epic adventure series, but the trailer didn't give me that impression at all. I'm still not sold on it. Those controls sound as cumbersome as Metroid Prime Hunters, which I couldn't enjoy because of the controls.

Edited by speedfreak

So I played the demo version of the NES game on Brawl.

God, was it ever clunky. Pit was so slow to control. No wonder Palutena had sent him off on some massive journey, he needs to some weight dammit.

So yeah, that's my judgement from just 1:30 minutes with the game :P

Uprising looks infinitely better, I can be sure about that at least.