Awoo.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS)

Swiss

So, from what I've skimmed, there's no EXP, no partners, the battle system is completely different...

Yeah, uh, probably not buying this game. It's basically like "HEY WE TOOK EVERYTHING THAT MADE PAPER MARIO FUN AND TOOK IT OUT".

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it'll be fun, and no EXP means no need for level-grinding (I hope; they'll probably have some other way of enforcing it such as sticker farming, but Mario games are generally good at avoiding grinding).

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't know this game had no Exp.

But I really do like the Sticker gameplay. If they wanted to change or mix up the Paper Mario battle system, this is the way to do it, not SPM's platforming ordeal. Looking at this makes me hyped for what a Paper Mario Wii-U game will be like.

I think it'll be fun, and no EXP means no need for level-grinding (I hope; they'll probably have some other way of enforcing it such as sticker farming, but Mario games are generally good at avoiding grinding).

I personally find triumph in leveling up, especially since you generally regain your health and junk when you do and it can change the tide in marathon boss battles.

I still grind in TTYD (fuckin' Amazee Dayzees) just so I can be like "BOOSH LEVEL UP" and watch the crowd go wild. Leveling up is supah happy-time fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

The big thing about the battles that bothers me is the fact how pointless they seem to be. I mean, you can fight enemies, waste stickers, but you get money, which you use to buy stickers...so why even start a fight? That's kind of stupid.

I like the "getting stronger by helping others" mechanic but seriously, I wish they would've kept the level up system.

Edited by Thigolf
  • Thumbs Up 1

The big thing about the battles that bothers me is the fact how pointless they seem to be. I mean, you can fight enemies, waste stickers, but you get money, which you use to buy stickers...so why even start a fight? That's kind of stupid.

I assume that there are reasons for not avoiding every single fight, reasons which aren't clear yet. Maybe they want you to grind money instead and you make back considerably more each battle than you lose? I've never played a Paper Mario game anyway, so it's kind of no skin off my nose if they've changed it, just so long as the changed version is still fun on its own.

I'll tell you what, after every chapter, Luigi better be there with his odd-looking partners to tell me more about his adventures.

No Super Luigi books= No dice.

• Thumbs Up 2

New (jp) trailer

Tthis game looks great! Shy guy mariachi band and random rocket cat sticker is just awesome.

Still not sold. I'm not overly keep on the battle style from the looks of it, the lack of partners (except Kersti who looks rather naff) and I dunno... I wanted a TTYD successor.

• Thumbs Up 3

While the game itself looks fun enough, I wish they'd show more of Mario interacting with the odd NPC. The worlds currently seem a bit empty without it.

With the removal of a normal leveling system there better be an incentive for fighting that doesn't devolve into length-padding grinding.

And where my partners at, Nintendo? You said there would be a chain chomp partner. The partners were half the fun! Way to kill interest.

I'll tell you what, after every chapter, Luigi better be there with his odd-looking partners to tell me more about his adventures.

No Super Luigi books= No dice.

+1

Luigi's suspiciously similar, sleep inducing side adventures with companion clarification notes was one of the (if not THE) best parts of TTYD.

Oooh that's some rather lovely box art.

Surprised to see Jr. debut in the PM series, even though I shouldn't be since he's been in nearly every Mario game in recent years.

Looks like Jr. is becoming a real series mainstay. I'm okay with this.

Now if they'd only give Metal the same treatment... ;-;

Metal Mario? Ew, no thank you.

Oh, U.

Unless you're being serious, then wtf man.

Edited by Kind-Hearted Jerk

That Boxart appears to be a bit of a clusterfuck. I don't like it.

My interest in this game died when they removed the chain chomp partner.

• Thumbs Up 5

Paper Bowser Jr. alone has guaranteed my purchase of this game, though the boxart itself is really pretty looking.

Now all I need is some Paper Wario & Waluigi action and I'll be set for life

Edited by Music Plant Zone
  • Thumbs Up 3

Now all I need is some Paper Wario & Waluigi action and I'll be set for life

If they were to appear in this game, I would disregard everything I find wrong with it and purchase twelve thousand copies.

NA Box art has been revealed:

206145_556295541063373_1783998122_n.jpg

Bowser Jr. confirmed for Paper Mario debut. Gotta say, I'm REALLY liking those textures. They add some nice detail to the character models.

Now I see the reason why Jr. wasn't in NSMB2. He was busy being turned into paper. Kind of disappointed though that it seems that partners have been taken out. might have been fun to partner with a chain chomp

Ooh, I really like that boxart. It's so arts-and-craftsy.

It'll be interesting to see what Bowser Jr. will bring to the table this time, though with his "main henchman" status, I hope we still see Kammy Koopa return.