Awoo.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS)

Swiss

I must be the only person who loved SPM. I loved that you could play as Luigi, Bowser and Peach. The writing was really funny, and the gameplay was ingenius at first.

Yeah I'm happy that PM3DS is an RPG again, but I don't like that people get mad at SPM for not being an RPG. It was never intended to be one, and it does what it intended brilliantly.

Oh by the way, Thousand Year Door is my favourite game in the Paper Mario series by far. I also don't really like the Mario & Luigi series compared to the Paper Mario series :/

I loved SPM too. I didn't love it as much as Paper Mario and PM:TTYD, but for a unique 2D/3D RPG-platformer hybrid it was pretty enjoyable. The writing was definitely very good, Chapter 3 (the one with Francis the geek) being particularly memorable (especially as it had a "chat up Peach" minigame! :P).

I think SPM is underrated. It does get a lot of stick sinply for not being the same as PM/TTYD. People don't like change, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 2

I loved SPM, too. It had some great ideas.

My favorite is the first one, thugh. I don'T know why, I haven't played it since 2000, but in my memory is was perfect :-/....

TTSD was also awesome. I haven'T beaten it, though. I'm at the end, but I just never beat it >_<. I loved Luigi's storys in this game. Intelligent Systems has a great sense of humor ^^

Oh man, Chapter 3 of SPM was genius! I found the platforming on the first stage quite annoying though.

I really love how the plot got more and more twisted towards the end too.

Especially onward from the bit where Mario and party "die" and escape the underworld!

And yes, The Mysterious Mr L.

Damn now I feel like playing it again! I loved the music in that game too. Maybe I'll start another file when I'm done with SMG2 :lol:

Oh man, Chapter 3 of SPM was genius! I found the platforming on the first stage quite annoying though.

I really love how the plot got more and more twisted towards the end too.

Especially onward from the bit where Mario and party "die" and escape the underworld!

And yes, The Mysterious Mr L.

Damn now I feel like playing it again! I loved the music in that game too. Maybe I'll start another file when I'm done with SMG2 :lol:

I may have to join you on that idea. I haven't played Super Paper Mario in aaaaaages.

Oh and Paper Mario 3DS needs Paper Rosalina there I said it. :P

Super_paper_Rosalina__D_by_pakkun96.jpg

I don't care how you do it Nintendo, just DO IT.

[/obsessiverosalinafanboy]

• Thumbs Up 2

I never actually played any Paper Mario game except SPM and a little of the beginning of TTYD. I don't see why people hate SPM either, it was a very fun and clever game, great humor, and it wasn't intended to be an RPG anyway. One of my favorite Wii games, in fact.

Or Gamecube. :P

You mentioned having played SPM, so I figured you were guaranteed to have a Wii. :P

Hm. After calling Thousand-Year Door my favourite of the Mario RPGs back there, it actually took me a day or so to remember exactly why it is. I prefer the music in the Mario & Luigi games by a small margin, after all, and since the first Mario RPG I ever played was Superstar Saga, you'd think I'd be biased. I usually am.

Then I remembered... the platforming in Mario & Luigi (and Super Mario RPG, too) is... problematic. The isometric perspective combined with a D-pad usually works, but there are times when it really, really doesn't. M&L 3 mostly fixed that problem by having all of the levels inside Bowser be side-scrolling, but the Paper Mario games are just far less fiddly about that in general.

Edited by Octarine

I've always wanted to try the Paper Mario games, but the turn based RPG aspect of it always turns me off. I like my action RPG more. ^^; I just want to play it because everyone says it's great, and I lurve great games. Heheh.

March release date though? Dang, that's gonna be a loooong wait.

I'm very excited for this, Super Paper Mario was quite fun, but The Thousand Year Door was absoutely amazing. Perfect writing, lots to do, hilarious characters, fantastic graphics, etc. I hope this game simply builds on what made that game awesome, and replicates it.

IN THREE-DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I do agree that SPM was great fun and hilarious to boot, but I did prefer the RPG's because of their ability to just drag you into the story. Probably because I play hardly any RPG's at all. :P

Oh, and SPM was awesome because of this (skip to about 0:31):

Oh, and SPM was awesome because of this (skip to about 0:31):

By far the coolest power up in Mario, ever.

• 11 months later...

The E3 2011 Trailer:

Amazing... Nothing short of...

I love how everything seems even MORE like paper! :D Like how everyone folds and wrinkles.

I'm a little unsettle seeing Mario by himself, with no allies. It sort of seems like random characters join him this time. But we'll see!

Can't wait!

I'm a little unsettle seeing Mario by himself, with no allies.
This actually really worries me. The varied and creative partners were part of what made the first two games great; if Mario goes through the whole game alone, or with only generic partners, the game's not going to be nearly as interesting.

Truth be told, the game looks dull so far. Not really impressed by it sadly considering that TTYD is my favourite RPG. Why no partners? Really! They were the best part of the games. Plus they did the talking for Mario mostly so the games weren't one sided like most RPGs where the hero is silent.

The partners probably will show up somewhere down the line.

On the subject, TTYD is a game that affected me like no other ever has. Really hoping that this one has just as engaging a story with a comparable level of emotional intensity. And I'm sure the special moves in battles will be as interesting as ever.

It doesn't look mind-blowing, but I'm certainly still excited. I appreciate that a little more effort is going into making the game seem more papery; if there's one complaint I have about TTYD (and it's a seriously minor one), it's that the paper theme was applied across the game in a pretty slapdash manner. In fact, considering the stage theme that game had it might've worked better as Puppet Mario or something. Eh. Anyway, I particularly love the way everyone flops around in the wind.

And wasn't there a chain chomp partner shown in some of the early screenshots, or did that just turn out to be a weirdly-placed enemy? I'm sure they're just saving the partners for later trailers, anyway, although it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they were changed back to work the way they did in the original Paper Mario for simplicity's sake.

IGN said it was a friendly Chain Chomp that was tagging along with Mario, so it seems like it's a partner character. It didn't have any distinguishing features, but there isn't really much you can do with a Chain Chomp. Give it a nice hat?

This game sure has been taking it's sweet time in development. We still barely know anything about it outside of what we've seen from the two trailers for it, not even a subtitle. It's also one of the few big Nintendo games without the slightest hint of a release date. Wonder what the holdup is.

'Cuz, y'know, I want it. Lots.

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up the new ONM. Here's their preview of Paper Mario.

343me52.jpg

If anyone wants to archive it, it's Official Nintendo Magazine Issue 71 August 2011.

• 3 months later...

Picked up the latest issue of Official Nintendo Magazine. Here's their preview of Paper Mario:

scan0015h.jpg

scan0016w.jpg

If anyone wants to archive the scans, it's Official Nintendo Magazine Issue 75 December 2011.

• Thumbs Up 1