Awoo.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS)

Swiss

I'm still skeptical on how interesting it will be compared to the others, but there's no doubt in my mind that at the very least it will be fun. I especially like that big cardboard-looking fish.

I'm liking a lot of the new information so far, the game just seems all around pretty fun, though the simplicity of the story might end up taking away from its charm.

Also, seeing as some stickers allow for Mario to call on certain enemies to help him out for an attack or two. What if some of those stickers ended up being some of the partners from previous Paper Mario games? I mean even if it was just a post game unlockable sorta thing, it'd be a pretty neat throw back.

I think it's more that the Japanese boxart is meant to represent the actual in-game world and the sort of shenanigans that go on there, whereas the western boxart is addressing specifically the sticker aspect to create the kind of sticker collage a person might actually put together. I think they're both pretty legitimate; I wouldn't mind having either.

http://gonintendo.co...story&id=187770

Japanese boxart.

I really wish this was our boxart. Its more organized than the clusterf*** that we got.

Looking at it just makes me excited for how beautiful the Wii-U Paper Mario will look when it comes out.

paper_mario_sticker_star_japanese_box_art.jpg

Jesus I'm being more excited about graphics in a Mario game that isn't out yet, then what the gameplay itself might be. Something must be wrong with me.

Edited by Nintendoga

I am at a true cross road with the game. I have loved mario games since I was 3 yrs old. Its very rare for me to have doubts in purchasing a mario game. I either like it alot ( many of the mario platformers, Mario 3D games, side series),or like them but not to much to be interested (Paper Mario, Mario Baseball), or hate them ( Mario Party, Dr.Mario). Interestingly enough this Paper Mario game has peeked my interest.

The graphics are stunning and I have sort of glanced over the other paper mario stories so I know that I would like this story as well. But it is the sticker mechanics that have me worried and sort of shunning this game. I mean I have played RPG where items are limited ( Super Mario RPG, Pokemon). But this game seems to take it to a different level. with the other games there was a set of moves that the only thing you needed to worry about was if it had enough PP, and the HP was doing ok. Here we have stickers ( some which are stated to be rarer than others) and after their use they are gone. So basically one miss use of it and it could cost you later.

I don't know how many people feel the way that I do. Anyone who has exprience with the paper series, give me some tips cuz I finally feel that this game might turn me into a fan of the series.

Jesus I'm being excited about graphics in a Mario game. Something must be wrong with me.

Is New Super Mario Bros 2 the only Mario game you played or something?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mario Galaxy still looks fantastic.

Is New Super Mario Bros 2 the only Mario game you played or something?

You two know what I mean.

dang, do I gotta explain every joke and point I make in a post or what?

lemme go edit.

Okay, I never expected the music to be AMAZING! Seriously, Bowser Jr.'s theme was great!! Same with the music on cutscenes (That jazz vibre when Kresti got mad was great)

The screens and trailers really don't do this game justice, this video definitely solidifies my want for this game. Its sense of style is fantastic, the gameplay looks great, and overall it just looks polished, fun, and charming. I'm low on cash so I can't really afford it but I definitely want to get this game as soon as possible.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 10 things you need to know about the first hour

http://www.gamesradar.com/paper-mario-sticker-star-10-things-you-need-know-about-first-hour/

Don't assume the combat is that simple

With no teammate to back you up, no experience points, and no MP to worry about, combat seems straightforward, perhaps even too easy. After a getting in more than a dozen fights, things got much more complicated thanks to our shrinking sticker collection. We were left with stickers that were either too good to use on a common Goomba or not strong enough to finish the job. We were planning for the fights ahead as well as the enemies in front of us. The situation made us take random battles far more seriously than we did before.

You better conserve your stickers

As the title implies, this Mario adventure is crazy about stickers, with different stickers plastered all over the world. You should get in the practice of grabbing every sticker you see, because you can’t attack without them. Each sticker you collect goes in your sticker book to be called upon later in and out of combat. Every move in a fight uses a different sticker of varying quality, and stickers disappear after one use. The idea of using MP or stamina for a move is gone; you either have a sticker or you don’t. It seems pretty simple, but...

Thoughts? Personally I think the game sounds pretty great. The sticker mechanic seems to be a lot more interesting than I first thought

I'm not sure I like the idea of having to worry about every single random encounter, lest my stickers be gone for better use later.

How many different stickers are there, again? Just wondering.

I like that you need to pay attention and plan even for random battles. One thing that's bugged me about RPGs is how much of it is just a grind...not just in grinding for EXP (or items or whatever), but how regular enemies tend to stop being a threat and just become timesinks. Not having EXP (meaning you aren't obligated to fight X number of battles to keep up with the difficulty curve) and splitting the game into levels and giving an overworld map (so you don't need to trudge through every area between two points if you're backtracking) should help too. The game's making a good attempt to break away from some of the harmful traditions of RPGs.

As much as I'm disappointed that the game doesn't have partners like the first two, otherwise this looks like it's shaping up to be a top-class game.

e: Although, I am a bit concerned that collecting stickers might become a bit tedious...

Edited by The Horrifying Horsaroni
  • Thumbs Up 4

I don't like having to conserve the sticker. That's my biggst gripe with the game. If it was like Battle Network where you don't permantly lose the card when you use them, I'd be disappointed, but I wouldn't be as unsure as I am now.

If you want to at best save a sticker you can still get first strikes, that may be helpful if you want to save time and stickers.

I don't think that's going to be much of a problem as long as you're diligent in collecting them. I think the guy in that 30+ minute video ran out towards the end, but he avoided a hell of a lot of stickers on the way.

I don't like having to conserve the sticker. That's my biggst gripe with the game. If it was like Battle Network where you don't permantly lose the card when you use them, I'd be disappointed, but I wouldn't be as unsure as I am now.

The way that I am starting to see it is that Mushrooms, fire flowers, and ice flowers look to be throw aways since some screens show the user having two or more of them. Something like the fan, the supposed frog suit could be the things that are harder to come by. After watching the intro I'm starting to lean towards a purchase of the game. We will see but I'm liking it.

Any idea if it's possible to just hoard stickers and avoid as many random battles as possible? Because if there's no EXP and the only reward is gold to buy more stickers, it doesn't seem like it'd be worth it to get into fights at all. ...I assume they've taken this into consideration and rewards from a fight will always outweigh your losses, because otherwise what if you ran out of both stickers and money?