Awoo.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS)

Swiss

Something something increasing the capacity of Stickers you can carry. I think.

Man if made by another developer this would be a dungeon crawler/hoarding game.

Soooooo what the hell are you supposed to do when you run out of stickers? Does an owl fly in and return the ones I lost to me?

I doubt anyone will get that joke.

Oh well, I'm still pretty excited for it. I didn't have a problem with Bros items, I doubt I'll have a problem with this.

Edited by Solkia-kun

You'll have to absorb hits while performing the block action command and you'll be given a sticker for successful ones.

Think of it as the game's equivalent to Struggle.

Okay, that sounds... kinda like a tacked-on solution but it'll do. I've no real grudge against the stickers; I'm glad they're taking the opportunity to really exploit the paper aspect in this game. Just so long as that aspect is actually... I was going to say "three-dimensional" but maybe I should say "meaningful" instead, given the context.

So, from my understanding, the 2 "stats" you have are sticker capacity and HP. I remember reading that HP is rewarded by clearing certain fights and doing certain tasks for NPCs. Quest system in my Paper Mario?

Ugh, guys, I wanna be excited, but...

but...

This just doesn't sound fun at all. This doesn't even sound like Paper Mario.

Soooooo what the hell are you supposed to do when you run out of stickers? Does an owl fly in and return the ones I lost to me?

I doubt anyone will get that joke.

I feel like I know this and it is killing me that it's remaining only on the tip of my tongue. 8C

See my post above.

You'll have to absorb hits while performing the block action command and you'll be given a sticker for successful ones.

Think of it as the game's equivalent to Struggle.

Ugh, guys, I wanna be excited, but...

but...

This just doesn't sound fun at all. This doesn't even sound like Paper Mario.

Why not? It's Paper, it's Mario, it's an RPG with a unique sense of humor and a creative battle system.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Wow, Bowser and his family/minions are just a riot in this game. I bet mealtimes at their fortresses aren't dull.

I feel like I know this and it is killing me that it's remaining only on the tip of my tongue. 8C

If you've every played Mabinogi you'd get the joke. Whenever you lose an important item for a quest, you can just go back to the NPC who gave it to you and they'll say "An owl found it, don't lose it again"

HP is gained through quests and specific fights? Wtf? I really hope that's not true.

HP is gained through quests and specific fights? Wtf? I really hope that's not true.

Why?

If you've every played Mabinogi you'd get the joke. Whenever you lose an important item for a quest, you can just go back to the NPC who gave it to you and they'll say "An owl found it, don't lose it again"

Haha nope, no idea.

Anyway I enjoyed the Nintendo Direct footage (considering I haven't watched that half an hour play). I'm still pretty excited about this.

You're acting like this is new information o: But yes, that's the way how you get HP, and granted, I like the concept of getting stronger by helping people. I dunno, it sounds so heartwarming.

Granted, I don't like how the battles dont even do something basically, but I really like the idea of doing quests and getting stronger by doing this. A combination of both would've been perfect, but I'm fine with what we got, really.

The only thing I dislike is I've noticed the numbers are bigger this time. I hope they don't get too huge or unpredictable (like, they stay in amounts of tens).

One of my favourite things about the Paper Mario battle system is how small and easy to understand all the numbers are, and how you can accurately predict exactly how much damage attacks will do.

• Thumbs Up 5

But...why? Maybe we can actually have a discussion about RPG mechanics or something?

I was going to, until I realized not all RPGs follow the same mechanics.

I'm just used to the basic "Level up to not die" mechanic most RPGs use. Giving the HP through something like this just sounds way too simplistic to me? I dunno.

I also liked in the first 2 how you got to choose what you wanted to upgrade everytime you leveled up. I always tried a low HP or low FP run after I got used to the the games.

I'm just used to the basic "Level up to not die" mechanic most RPGs use. Giving the HP through something like this just sounds way too simplistic to me? I dunno.
How's it any more simplistic than "kill a bunch of dudes"? Basic RPG leveling is about the most simplistic thing there is.

I also liked in the first 2 how you got to choose what you wanted to upgrade everytime you leveled up. I always tried a low HP or low FP run after I got used to the the games.
Yeah, that was a pretty nice system, but given how much they've changed things up, it doesn't really have a place in this game.
  • Thumbs Up 1

The only thing I dislike is I've noticed the numbers are bigger this time. I hope they don't get too huge or unpredictable (like, they stay in amounts of tens).

Actually I like how the numbers are bigger, well at least for bosses. Since you can considerably do alot more damage this time around , (ex: In the first game with no specials or items, you could do like 4-5dmg per turn. This one you can do up to 10+) it makes more sense to have enemies with larger health bars.

Since that one Goomba boss had what, 70HP? That means a few bosses will probably get close to or even surpass 200HP.

But what does that get you? You do more damage, bosses have more HP, nothing really changes besides the numbers are bigger. Maybe having bigger numbers allows for more granularity, and that can have its uses, but I kind of liked how Paper Mario went with small, predictable quantities.

• Thumbs Up 1