Awoo.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS)

Swiss

Something tells me this game isn't going to ghave the same scale of epiness that TTYD and SPM had in story and setting.

Hmm, I can see where you're coming from here. TTYD especially was very huge in just about everything. Hell, the story and setting in TTYD was phenomenal. Epic scale with the whole world at stake, very memorable characters, fantastic humour, varied settings and enemies...it's also pretty dark for a Mario game, especially the last chapter, which is one of my favourite gaming experiences. Seriously, the final boss (at least the first half) challenged everything that Mario fans grew accustomed to, not just in the game but in the series itself. As a 12 year old at the time, I was seriously thrown. Love that game.

SPM was pretty epic too, with a plot about multiple dimensions being at stake all wrapped around a tragic love story. Pretty deep for a Mario game. If Sticker Star comes anywhere close in terms of scale, I'll be a very happy camper.

Edited by Ringo ~
  • Thumbs Up 4

Goddamn, I want this game. I want partners too, but fuck, if we don't get 'em, we don't get 'em. Looks like it still oozes Paper Mario charm with or without them. DAT TOAD STAIRCASE.

I can't wait to see what the plot escalates into. Even if it doesn't go quite as HOLYFUCKINGSHIT as TTYD or SPM, something tells me it's gonna evolve into something a little more epic than "lol i'ma steal some stickers."

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really mind the idea of Sticker Star being a bit smaller-scale; Super Paper Mario was about as humongously cosmic as the series could ever possibly get, so it seems appropriate for the follow-up to be a little more down-to-earth, at least at first. I like that the plot actually has something to do with the paper theme, and even the graphics and gameplay are embracing it more. As much as I love them, I don't think any of the previous games got aspect that quite right (and Super basically forgot about it altogether).

As for the partners... they were a large part of why I enjoyed Thousand-Year Door as much as I did, but Sticker Star looks like it's shaking things up enough that at least the combat should still be interesting without them, provided they actually are out of the picture. And hey, maybe their absence will free up space for some other Mario notables to show up: Wario is practically tailor-made to be a recurring minor boss, and it's bizarre that he hasn't been in a single Mario RPG yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note I was asking, because I didn't remember. BIS is the only one I've played, and I've only played it once.

You should play it again, it's awesome! :P

But really, sorry about that somewhat aggressive response.

Anyway...I'm kind of surprised this game took so long to release when it was one of the first games announced. That doesn't really matter though, what matters is that I finally get to shut up Nintendo and make them take my money. The 3DS really is becoming an awesome handheld fast.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking at the videos and screens, the stickers replace the old battle system, which is just hugely disappointing for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder what the incentive is for engaging in battle, now that EXP can't be earned.

Coins? Extra stickers? Weapon experience?

I never really got into the Paper Mario series. This game might change that though.

I wonder what the incentive is for engaging in battle, now that EXP can't be earned.

Coins? Extra stickers? Weapon experience?

So are the stickers this game's equivalent of Bros. items? 'Cause I didn't really like those.

I'm wondering what happens if you enter a battle with really shitty or no stickers, if that's even possible.

• Thumbs Up 2

Paper Mario Sticker Star E3 Trailer

Welp I guess it's true, no partners after all. :(

Still game looks good though. And it seems that enemies have ALOT more health now that some attacks do like 8 or 9 damage, like that giant Goomba sticker boss that has 90.

Game looks good though.

So are the stickers this game's equivalent of Bros. items? 'Cause I didn't really like those.

I'm wondering what happens if you enter a battle with really shitty or no stickers, if that's even possible.

They'll probably give you a Jump and Hammer sticker that never goes away, just incase

I wouldn't be surprised if the stickers work similar to how chips work in the Battle Network series.

Errrrg I really hope this doesn't make the battle system more like Mario and Luigi's with the whole all-moves-are-items thing. I liked Mario and Luigi's, but it was still vastly inferior to Paper Mario 1+2's, which is literally the only battle system I've ever liked in any RPG I've ever played.

I mean I'll wait til I play it, and even if I hate it I'll certainly put up with it for the overworld and story stuff, but I will admit right now, I am worried.

They could have literally just used Paper Mario 2's battle system again with no changes other than the partners, and even then they could have basically amounted to aesthetic changes with the same moves shuffled around characters and given new touch-screen action commands. I love Paper Mario 2's battle system so much and I just wanted what could essentially have been an expansion pack for that perfect game.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 5

Game looks good, but I'm so disappointed it's not more like PM and TTYD.

I gotta say though, since many fans lost a little faith with SPM, this would've been the perfect opportunity for Nintendo to play it safe. They could've just did another TTYD with the old battle system, but a different plot. Then after getting more fans' faith restored do this in the sequel or Wii-U version.

But I have no problem with this battle system.

Yeah. I'm still mega hyped for this and I will get a 3DS later in the year for this...

...but really, like Jez said, I did just want another game like TTYD. It had a perfect battle system and story. The lack of partners did not really weigh me down that much, but when we started learning more about this game, I found myself disappointed by the changed battle system. Did Paper Mario really need it?

Oh well. I've been wanting another Paper Mario for years so my boner hasn't exactly been killed yet. Can't wait for whenever it comes out, I'm sure I'll still get a lot of enjoyment out of this.

I have to admit I'm kinda iffy on some of the new changes, but I still love pretty much everything I'm seeing. I'm actually glad Intelligent Systems has some balls and is willing to shake things up, unlike some certain other Nintendo teams...

This might be the thing that makes me get a 3DS, I've never played Paper Mario, but i've heard nothing but good things about it.

Just add Jr. Troopa onto this, and you can guarantee people will flock by the dozens to get the game.

This might be the thing that makes me get a 3DS, I've never played Paper Mario, but i've heard nothing but good things about it.

If you have a Wii, download the first and then find a used copy of Thousand Year Door. You will not regret it. Super is great too, but not as universally loved as the first two.

I have to admit I'm kinda iffy on some of the new changes, but I still love pretty much everything I'm seeing. I'm actually glad Intelligent Systems has some balls and is willing to shake things up, unlike some certain other Nintendo teams...

Hahaha! Pretty much my reaction actually-

NSMB2/U: BAAAWWW its all the same!

PMSS: BAAWWW its too different!

• Thumbs Up 2

Rogueport is by far my all time favorite music theme out of the entire Mario series.

Intelligent Systems, I beseech you. Please have Yuka Tsujiyoko perform far and beyond the realm of her skills, achieve a status befitting the paragon of composers, and create marvelous works of art that can rightfully be compared to that beautiful song.

<3

• Thumbs Up 1

Rogueport is by far my all time favorite music theme out of the entire Mario series.

Intelligent Systems, I beseech you. Please have Yuka Tsujiyoko perform far and beyond the realm of her skills, achieve a status befitting the paragon of composers, and create marvelous works of art that can rightfully be compared to that beautiful song.

<3

Quick question: Was it ever explicitly stated that there were no partners?

It was implied, and with all the footage we have, which shows Mario in all different locations/chapters with no partners in site.

Hrm, I'm torn. The game's certainly got the whimsical Paper Mario style down pat, and the battle system looks like it could be really interesting...but I'm not liking the lack of partners and I'm kind of disappointed that it's not as direct an extension of TTYD's battle system as it could have been.

It's probably still going to be a very good game, but I imagine myself continually "hrm"ing that it's not the Paper Mario 3 that I wanted.