Awoo.

Nintendo Power : Sonic Colors Almost Plays Like Sonic Unleashed - Sonic Teams Wants to use the Crazy Level Design from the old games+2 Zones confirmed

spiny blue

We know how this goes; we have seen the inexorable progression innumerable times in the last seven years. So just think a little bit before you run off squee-ing over "Orbinauts" and "Surreal Zones" and whatnot, for god's sake.

You do know the only place the sonic cycle even fits is '06 right. it literally does not work anywhere else.

oh, and the only truly bad game in the entire series was '06. and even that load of shit is liked by at least ten people in the world.

OH, and we haven't had a bad game since '06?

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean, seriously. I'm not trying to start crap here, but it's a Sonic platformer that takes place exclusively in space immediately following the completion of a mega-hit Mario platformer that does the same thing, which Sonic Team doubtlessly knew was in development for some time.

IMHO, there's quite a big difference between a game taking place on a variety of "galaxies" and a game that takes place solely on just one planet.

IMHO, there's quite a big difference between a game taking place on a variety of "galaxies" and a game that takes place solely on just one planet.

I was genuinely under the impression that Sonic would be traveling to different planets, though I reserve the right to be wrong, there. Also, "Galaxy" in the Mario Galaxy series is really better stated as "planet with a lot of weird stuff drifting around it."

EDIT: Funny enough, they call the large areas that contain these galaxies "Worlds." Confusing enough? One could say: In the Mario Galaxy universe, a galaxy is a planet contained in a galaxy called a world.

Edited by psikeout

Funny enough, they call the large areas that contain these galaxies "Worlds."

Oh, I thought they did that to make us less confused by keeping some consistency within their naming. But now that you mention it, they must be in a World er Galaxy um whatever of their own :lol:

Also psikeout, thanks for the congrats, finishing my degree feels SO GOOD, I wish everyone could feel like this :D

• Thumbs Up 1

You do know the only place the sonic cycle even fits is '06 right. it literally does not work anywhere else.

oh, and the only truly bad game in the entire series was '06. and even that load of shit is liked by at least ten people in the world.

That's pretty damn arguable. We've never had a game as bad as STH '06, but that doesn't automatically raise to torch for the rest of them into the "good" category, nor does people liking them.

Nah, that still wouldn't work as most "fans" will condemn a game at the first of it these days.

But most fans do not automatically condemn the game.

Edited by Tornado

"New Sonic game announced > Fans let themselves believe this is finally the one > game releases and turns out to be shit yet again."

Nah, that still wouldn't work as most "fans" will condemn a game at the first peek of it these days. Not to mention there are Sonic games that *gasp* DO turn out good and satisfy people (Rush).

The Sonic Cycle is one of those things that just stays around because people think it's funny. Like the whole "The Wii is DUSTY" sentiment.

Edited by SykoTech
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not trying to troll or say bawwwww this is doomed from the start everything is awful, but try to maintain some perspective here people, rather than instantly declaring "OMG AWESUM" and "TRIUMPHANT RETURN" based off a few low-quality magazine photos, as seems to be occuring.

I think there's an important point here that you're missing. Excitement and happiness over the prospect of an upcoming (whatever) is very rarely rooted in logic, and it doesn't depend on the successful delivery of a quality product to be worthwhile. Hype is its own reward in many ways, and I rarely feel too bad for being excited about something even if the worst turns out to be true. That's pretty stupid, given that the whole point of hype is the product, but that's the average human brain for ya.

...and I don't think I see too many calls of "triumphant return!" anyway, to be honest. Several "this looks pretty"s and "I liked Unleashed, so this should be good too"s, but few proclamations of a rebirth for the franchise. Okay, apart from that Nintendo Power cover. <_<

Anyway, I personally am cautious about how the game will play, but from the extremely little we've seen I'm optimistic for the game's aesthetics, at least. And, honestly... when it comes to a modern Sonic game, that's almost the more important thing to me. I'm a sucker for pretty things.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd say SBK was about as bad as S06. A lot of people would agree too. It didn't have the glitches and shit of 06, but the gameplay was just awful IMO. There will always be a fan of something somewhere but the overwhelming majority of people agree that Sonic's console games haven't been anything special for years now. They haven't all been complete shit as some people like to act, but they haven't exactly lit the world on fire either.

-_-

How's that rainbow tasting, Nitro? 'cause the cycle absolutely DOES NOT FUCKING APPLY TO THIS GAME.

Let's get the facts:

-It's just Sonic in high-speed 3D and classic platforming 2D

-The graphics look amazing DESPITE being from a shitty quality scan

-The levels are fun and whimsical again, NOT based on real-world locales or something

Now I ain't say get hyped, 'cause the execution could be very problematic, based on Sonic 2006 and Black Knight, but based on what was in that issue, it pretty much kills and buries the Sonic cycle.

And good riddance, that joke got lame the second it was posted a second time.

Edited by EXshad

It's less about the cycle being followed verbatim and more about the game just ending up horrible or even just a disappointment to be honest. What if the controls suck, what if there are only five levels with 10 crappy boring missions on each level to artificially extend length, etc. Sounding good and being good are two different things.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well yeah, that I can agree on. Like I said, we should worry about the execution.

However, based purely on what we've read, I see no reason to be upset at all. In fact, I say Sonic Team is finally getting the message on what fans truly wanna see in a Sonic game. Mostly.

That's pretty damn arguable. We've never had a game as bad as STH '06, but that doesn't automatically raise to torch for the rest of them into the "good" category, nor does people liking them.

I'm not talking objectively. '06 was glitchy, slow in every possible way, and had bad controls and physics.

It was a bad game. It was the definition of a bad game. Enjoy it all you want, it is a bad game all the same.

There are no other "bad" Sonic games. There are a lot of disliked ones, but they were never bad games. Unleashed was incredibly well polished and had good controls and ran fairly well, and half of everyone who's played it dislikes it.

EDIT: okay I lied a little, sonic genesis was just as badly done as '06. sorry for the confusion with "no other"

Edited by Nathan

Well yeah, that I can agree on. Like I said, we should worry about the execution.

However, based purely on what we've read, I see no reason to be upset at all. In fact, I say Sonic Team is finally getting the message on what fans truly wanna see in a Sonic game. Mostly.

Those of us that are upset are not upset over the info we've received on the game. That all SOUNDS well and good. The thing that has us worried is Sonic Teams track record. If you go to a restaurant that always burns your food why would you go there one day and suddenly expect a perfectly cooked meal?

Edited by speedfreak

I think there's an important point here that you're missing. Excitement and happiness over the prospect of an upcoming (whatever) is very rarely rooted in logic, and it doesn't depend on the successful delivery of a quality product to be worthwhile.

...and thus my point is made. Any hype or hope at this early stage is unreasonable when we consider the trends of history.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you go to a restaurant that always burns your food why would you go there one day and suddenly expect a perfectly cooked meal?

Not the best analogy.

The restaurant only burns one thing on the menu, why order what they always burn when they cook other things quite well?

• Thumbs Up 1

...and thus my point is made. Any hype or hope at this early stage is unreasonable when we consider the trends of history.

Then just fuck off and let us enjoy ourselves.

• Thumbs Up 7

Not the best analogy.

The restaurant only burns one thing on the menu, why order what they always burn when they cook other things quite well?

There was also a fly in my soup and someone spit on my burger.

What?

Dude, I'm just saying maintain some perspective here, and let's remember Sonic Team's track record before we all go anticipation-crazy.

No need for attacks like that.

Edited by Frozen Nitrogen
  • Thumbs Up 3

There was also a fly in my soup and someone spit on my burger.

... I think we may be talking about different restaurants here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gahhh where did this negative mood come from :mellow: this topic was pretty stable before the Sonic Cycle enter in topic what a way to kill a good mood in this topi, I hope that the scans provide infomation on who doing the soundtrack, I really doubt Jun doing it since he really busy with Sonic 4 episodes music hopefully Tomoya Ontani

Edited by Crash

Those of us that are upset are not upset over the info we've received on the game. That all SOUNDS well and good. The thing that has us worried is Sonic Teams track record. If you go to a restaurant that always burns your food why would you go there one day and suddenly expect a perfectly cooked meal?

Because they didn't always burn my food. Okay, starting at Heroes, the meat was a little rare, and it had too much crap on it, but I thought it tasted alright. But I kept going back because I trusted the quality. Then there was Shadow, a nasty little hot dog burnt to a crisp with nasty toppings on it. Sonic 2006 was a burger they dropped in the toilet. But then things started tasting better. Hell, Unleashed was a fine steak with some greasy, smelly onions served on top of it. Now, it looks like their stripping it all down and serving up just a fresh cut of beef.

...okay, this food analogy is going too far, but I think you get my point. Execution in Sonic games has been getting better, but the gimmicks have been hampering the overall enjoyment. This game COULD have the execution the last few games have had, which it probably will at this point, but without ANY of the game-breaking gimmicks (it seems). I don't understand how you can be so pessimistic. Cautious and wary, sure, but pessimistic?

Edited by EXshad

If you go to a restaurant that always burns your food why would you go there one day and suddenly expect a perfectly cooked meal?

I fail to see where anyone stated that they expect this game to be perfect. In fact, most people who are excited have already expressed some sense of caution (myself included).

I don't want anyone to take this personally, but it would be nice if for once people could feel excited about a Sonic game without having the Hype Police issuing Sonic Cycle Tickets to anyone who isn't acting all gloom and doom. I don't blame anyone for being pessimistic, but no need to try to make everyone else feel the same.

But you know what they say about misery and company...

Edited by SykoTech

Okay, can we shut up about the Sonic Cycle now?

The only 'cycle' I see is: New game announced -> Sonic Cycle is mentioned -> topic derails into crap about the Sonic Cycle -> ??? -> PROFIT LOCK.

(; Let's get back on track.

• Thumbs Up 4

:( Relax. I don't think anyone is saying it will suck. Just to be cautious considering many of us end up disappointed once game day comes.

... I think we may be talking about different restaurants here.

:lol: It was mostly a joke, though to be honest there hasn't been a console Sonic game I thought was great (though I did at least like SU) in a long time. A lot of people have loved some but a lot of people also feel the same way as me.

Anyway I don't want to rain on any parades. I'd love for this game to be fantastic to be honest. I've just been burned too many times to be optimistic at this point. Maybe some gameplay footage will change my mind. Roll on E3.

Edited by speedfreak
  • Thumbs Up 1

:( Relax. I don't think anyone is saying it will suck. Just to be cautious considering many of us end up disappointed once game day comes.

I'm just saying that we're allowed to be hyped. What's the problem? People here aren't stupid, and we aren't blind to problems that exist in the series.

Anywho... I really want to see some proper screens/clear scans. The DS shots look just fine, but the Wii ones are really hard to see very well.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1