Awoo.

Sonic Colours: New Wii/DS game

Remy

If AAUK is answering stuff, is this a mainseries Sonic game, or is a spin off? (Like the Storybook series is, even though it's not part of that series as you said)

My guess is that it's a spin-off game, like the storybook series, but is not of the storybook series. Think of it in the same category as Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic Spinball. Has the Sonic gameplay conventions, but is different enough to not be a main series game. Also, the fact that it is Wii-only probably means it won't have main series status. That is usually reserved for multi-console games that strictly adhere to Sonic gaming conventions.

Edited by Doctor Eggman
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Stringing the Wisp power-ups together creates a combo that increases Sonic’s boost gauge even more quickly.
inb4fanbasegoes:

• Thumbs Up 5

Will Ristar be cameoing AAUK? He'd fit the outer space theme well. Just kidding about :P

Thanks for the -1 rep on me simply giving my opinion on where the game may lie in Wikipedia sorting. I had no idea it was such a sore subject for some folks. :rolleyes:

Anywho, if AAUK is taking questions (have we found our new S0L?) I have one: Who is developing the game?

• Thumbs Up 2

It seems to be Sonic Team considering their logo is at the end of the trailer.

Also another question for AAUK, is the name Sonic Colors final?

Edited by Torcano

CVG article with a comment from Gary Knight -

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=248375

"The vibrant alien world of Sonic Colours enables players to race at top speed through incredible looking planets, each with their own unique visual style." commented Gary Knight, SVP of Marketing, Sega.

"In addition to the classic Sonic game play style, the colourful new Wisp power ups offer a fresh new way of exploring these worlds and helps make Sonic faster than ever before."

@Eggman

Maybe you got -rep for saying the reason it's not main series is because it's Wii exclusive.

I'm not saying I disagree but Nintendo fans could take offence to that ;P it'd be nice if the Wii got a mainseries game of anything for once.

From the title (Sonic [Otherword]) it seems more like a mainseries game, but there are various other factors that make it seem like a mainseries game.

Edited by SuperLink

sonic_colors-6.jpg

Don't know you guys but this picture made me go OOOOHOHOHOHO!!!!

I can't watch the trailer yet, but it sounds like some "family fun" type of game, also, it looks trippy as heck and that can only be good. :P

YAY! NEW SAWNIK GAEM!!1!

EDIT:

(have we found our new S0L?)

Shame on you Eggman, everybody knows S0L was the new AAUK . <_<

*pats AAUK in the back*

Edited by imarafan

SuperLink is kinda right I mean the DS games are side story but they have had crossover - Blaze for example.

And before Sega stopped making consoles, none of their releases were multi-platform :P

But this could be a main story game, it does seem to fit quite well but I guess we'll see once we get more news - particularly about the storyline.

Edited by mulletboyjay

SIX PAGE PREVIEW IN NEXT ONM

Sega has just announced Sonic Colours, a brand new Sonic game for the Wii and DS.

Sonic Colours is set in space, where Dr Eggman has set up an intergalactic theme park. It soon emerges though that Eggman is using the powers of mystical creatures called Wisps in order to fuel his own evil deeds. Naturally, it's up to Sonic to save the day and put an end to it.

Sonic can use the powers of the Wisps to get new abilities. Differently-coloured Wisps give him different powers, hence the title Sonic Colours.

You can read a huge six-page preview of Sonic Colours (as well as a world exclusive reveal of another brand new game) in the next issue of Official Nintendo Magazine, on sale 16 June.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=17425

OH MY GAWD.

I'm away from the computer for a few hours and this happens?! Surprise new Sonic game announcement! Surprise new Nintendo-exclusive Sonic game announcement! Surprise new Nintendo-exclusive Sonic game that looks intriguingly awesome announcement! :o

I'm guessing the fact that Tails is in it might have something to do with the whole "Heroes-style team gameplay" thing that was going around lately... or was that just speculation? I dunno. Not complaining.

So it's confirmed to be a 2D/3D high speed adventure - I'm guessing it'll be a lot like Unleashed's daytime stages, in that case? If so - SWEEEEEEEEEET.

Happy MK is now very happy. Will be keeping an eye on this.

Little late, Sonic. A certain plumber already has two space adventures under his hat. Not really holding my breathe for this one.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Alright! New Sonic 4 trail... What the F is this? <-- My honest reaction.

I'm reserving any obligated excitement for when I see some actual gameplay. The concept of alien helpers, at this point, doesn't sound any more different than "fairy helpers" from Black Knight, which simply just replaced rings, pearls, springs, and dash panels.

A new 3D Sonic game by year's end? Super happy bright colors? Sonic and Tails adventuring together? I know I'm excited.

And can anyone help me figure out what the trailer song is a remix of? I can't quite put my finger on it.

That bit from ONM has me intrigued. When they say "another brand new game," do they mean another new Sonic game...?

June may be quite the amazing month.

Edited by PC the Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know everyone is joking about this being a Super Mario Sonic Galaxy, but I would fucking LOVE that. :( Sadly I just don't see them pulling it off. Though if it's similar to SU day stages it should be pretty good.

Alright! New Sonic 4 trail... What the F is this? <-- My honest reaction.

I'm reserving any obligated excitement for when I see some actual gameplay. The concept of alien helpers, at this point, doesn't sound any more different than "fairy helpers" from Black Knight, which simply just replaced rings, pearls, springs, and dash panels.

The alien gimmick seems far more integrated into this game than merely being aesthetic replacements for usual objects like the fairies were. After all, one gives Sonic a new digging ability, while they can somehow be stringed together in combos. While the latter probably translates to, "Collect the buggers fast enough," the former is still far more intriguing. What is the system for using these new abilities, and how will this system have an effect on the game's balance? If I were to be really optimistic, I would surmise a level up system will be in play that will allow Sonic to use various abilities at different points, in turn ushering in a lot of platforming and puzzles.

SOA product page now live, confirms NWFC

Wow nice eye! With a keen eye for detail, one truth prevails!

Mostly likely online leaderboards. Would be nice if it had an online Luma... uh Wisp A-Life system.

The alien gimmick seems far more integrated into this game than merely being aesthetic replacements for usual objects like the fairies were. After all, one gives Sonic a new digging ability, while they can somehow be stringed together in combos. While the latter probably translates to, "Collect the buggers fast enough," the former is still far more intriguing. What is the system for using these new abilities, and how will this system have an effect on the game's balance? If I were to be really optimistic, I would surmise a level up system will be in play that will allow Sonic to use various abilities at different points, in turn ushering in a lot of platforming and puzzles.

Said digging alien could simply be placed over a patch of soft dirt. Just touch to go.

Simply put it's all just speculation until we see some actual gameplay.

The problem with giving Sonic new abilities is that they usually aren't incorporated very well, at least IMO. :/ I don't like to automatically write anything off, but it's hard for me to be optimistic. Oh well, I await gameplay footage.