Awoo.

Sonic Colours: New Wii/DS game

Remy

It's a CG scene, they could make Sonic do whatever they want without worrying about programming it and they had him do that?

It is a teaser trailer.

It has Sonic and Tails running with some colourful aliens. It announces the game and shows a few characters from it.

That is all that teaser trailers must do. This one does that.

What exactly is the problem?

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't tell weather i will hate or love this game. Ever since I saw the teaser of that 06 game, I thought I would be playing a great game and no.. it didn't happen. Until I see game... footage or something thats not the great CGI Sega Team makes... then well I can't say anything. :mellow: But the idea seems interesting tho.

Looks lightheartedly fun to be honest. However, I think the whole thing with different Wisp power ups will break up the flow of the game to be honest. However, I don't really want to judge anything until I play it. It being so lighthearted gives me high hopes for straight-forward fun, <3.

But yeah, first time I watched it, I too was all like "Hyper Sonic in Mario Galaxy?"

-Blur

The first thing that came to mind was Sonic CD.

Going to a far-off planet for fun, only to save it.

That's exactly why I'm loving the concept right now. Sonic and Tails visit a mysterious theme park, and find trouble. "A day in the life."

It is a teaser trailer.

It has Sonic and Tails running with some colourful aliens. It announces the game and shows a few characters from it.

That is all that teaser trailers must do. This one does that.

What exactly is the problem?

Like I said, this game has another new gimmick. They don't even realize what's wrong.

• Bad Quality Post 5

Like I said, this game has another new gimmick. They don't even realize what's wrong.

Phos alot of games have gimmicks in them so always expect them whatever the game may be, it something what makes them unique in a way

Edited by ςгครђ
  • Thumbs Up 2

Okay, what's the big bad gimmick this time?

A sword?

A werehog?

A gun?

Fishing?

Treasure hunting?

Apparently, we have colors this go round. What do we know aside from the fact that it'll advance you through the level...? Not much. We know very little. No one can say that this will end badly from hearing this. And you know, not all gimmicks are that bad. Gravity hoopla did Mario some good, and I don't think people minded the watergun in Sunshine all that much. Did you ever think that maybe this will be implemented well?

And even then, what is it they're implementing anyway? We don't freaking know.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nintendo knows how to use gimmicks well with there games, cause its the feel that at the same time, its classic feel of Mario, but its new and different.

Sega... never learned how to use the gimmicks at all well with Sonic, or maybe Sonic is just a type of character that cant handle it.

Didn't stop SMG2 from being like, one of the best games evar, which has more gimmicks than you can shake a Wii remote at.

or maybe Sonic is just a type of character that cant handle it.

Sonic is still a platformer at heart, just faster.

Edited by Black Spy

Now, its my opinion!

Sonic Colors?!?!? I have a feeling that this game is going to be an Upgraded, Sonic version of Super Mario 64. On the contrary, This game would be one of the first Sonic the Hedgehog games that came back from a grueling streak; Unleashed got close until they added the werehog, so this has to get closer! This gimmick just might bring SEGA back just because of the sheer simplicity of using a simple element in a game (color).

But neither do you! You know nothing about the game, yet your saying that it has a gimick which doesn't work. You've got no idea how it will act in the game, you don't know how often it will be used. You don't even know if it'll be needed to actually complete the game.

What is the problem?

• Thumbs Up 2

This gimmick just might bring SEGA back just because of the sheer simplicity of using a simple element in a game (color).

Hate to be the pessimist here, but I highly doubt this game will do anything that will turn any heads. It will be a nice simple and fun game at best. It's gonna take a LOT more than a simple color gimmick to cause sparks.

Blame SMG2 for being above and beyond the universe in content and quality.

Edited by Black Spy

Sonic Colors?!?!? I have a feeling that this game is going to be an Upgraded, Sonic version of Super Mario 64. On the contrary, This game would be one of the first Sonic the Hedgehog games that came back from a grueling streak; Unleashed got close until they added the werehog, so this has to get closer! This gimmick just might bring SEGA back just because of the sheer simplicity of using a simple element in a game (color).

Pretty much how I'm feeling. It really feels like Sega is Me-Tooing after Mario a lot (NSMBWii -> Sonic 4, Mario Galaxy 2 -> Sonic Colors), but it may very well result in good games. It's almost like...

- Sonic 4 will be the game that takes the series backward to near-absolute basics, the stuff it's famous for

- Sonic Colors will (hopefully) be the game that moves forward with another "gimmick," but with classic-level simplicity.

... or that's how it sounds. Speculation out the wazoo, still, though.

There are literally zero games with gimmicks.

In fact, I dare you to give me EVEN ONE.

You can't. They don't exist.

I also assume you aren't familiar with my axiom about initial trailers: The more different a game's (intended) first trailer is from gameplay (As in, what you see on the screen during the trailer vs. what you see on the screen during gameplay), the worse the game will be. This has been wrong exactly zero times so far, not just with Sonic games, but with all games. I thought Sonic Unleashed proved it wrong, but then I realized that the trailer they wanted to show first was the one with Sonic playing around with the ring.

Portal comes to mind. Several things about the teaser were different than gameplay. They kept some stuff but the majority is different.

So, you're saying Portal is worse for not having bland rooms with one objective.

Or hey, Arkham Asylum was originally teased as being more actiony than it ended up being (such as, hinting at an actual fight with Killer Croc), is it a bad game because of the shift away from action (which isn't really what Batman is about anyways?) and more onto stealth?

What you are trying to do is take 5 seconds of Sonic running (which, hey-o, has happened and been able to happen literally every single Sonic game) and try and determine gameplay from it.

This would be fine, had he done anything but run. The teaser itself is meant to hype, not to be over analyzed. Emphasis on ANALyzed because at this point you're just throwing whatever comes out of your ass as an argument.

Teasers show just about jack shit. You can't judge a game based on them, because usually when they come out, the way the game is played is mostly finalized, it just needs some time to be built around.

Sonic running for five seconds will tell you that in some point in the game, Sonic will run. That's pretty much it. The only other shit you could tell from it is that Tails is there, they're on Flora, and there are some weird little alien shits.

That's it. Anything else "shown" in it is just nitpicking because you can't be happy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't stop SMG2 from being like, one of the best games evar, which has more gimmicks than you can shake a Wii remote at.

There's a clear difference between the gimmicks found in Sonic games and those found in Mario games. That difference is why Super Mario Galaxy 2 (and its myriad gimmicks) is widely regarded (at present anyway) as being as close to perfect as a 3D Mario game can come, a game very difficult to conceivably improve upon, and why 3D Sonic games and their gimmicks are so often vilified and looked down upon.

Of course, with gimmicks come a host of other matters which can make or break them; level design, puzzle design and enemy design for example. They also mark the difference between SMG2's praise and 3D Sonic's vilification.

Ahahaha...this was certainly unexpected. =3=

It looks cute. And colourful. Yay colours!

I want more details on this at E3.

This may seem (can't find the word for it...but here it goes.....):

What about people who are color (colour) blind?

This may seem (can't find the word for it...but here it goes.....):

What about people who are color (colour) blind?

I would expect this to be an issue for any videogame, really. What makes this one so special?

General game issues are nearly standard with or without random gimmicks, with Sonic 4 being the most notable exception. That's why I wonder why anyone who's already expressed displeasure with this game is even bothering to bemoan any of Colors's gimmicks as if removing them would make really make any difference at the end of the day; After all, Phos already pointed out that Sonic runs in a condemning straight line. The gimmick is, quite frankly, a scapegoat.

There's a clear difference between the gimmicks found in Sonic games and those found in Mario games. That difference is why Super Mario Galaxy 2 (and its myriad gimmicks) is widely regarded (at present anyway) as being as close to perfect as a 3D Mario game can come, a game very difficult to conceivably improve upon, and why 3D Sonic games and their gimmicks are so often vilified and looked down upon.

Of course, with gimmicks come a host of other matters which can make or break them; level design, puzzle design and enemy design for example. They also mark the difference between SMG2's praise and 3D Sonic's vilification.

Obviously. My main point was that new gimmicks a bad game doesn't make, and as Nathan nicely put: games without gimmicks don't exist.

I'm gonna be the first one to bring up the Sonic Cycle.

You know that second step where new friends are introduced? Well the friends were the in the first teaser. CYCLE AVERTED. Everyone rejoice.

The only thing that I found interesting about this trailer is the fact that Tail was in it. Which raises questions like, 'is he playable', and 'is the game only about him and Sonic?' Aside from that, I can tell this game is to reach a younger generation.

And I don't really see any resembalance to SMG. The closest I can see that this game has that's similar, is the fact that Sonic heads to an Amusement planet. And even then that doesn't really mean anything.

Edited by A.C.193

And the overly pessimistic one strikes again!!!!!

Let's review the facts: it's a speedy, 2D/3D hybrid, like Sonic Unleashed's day stages. Good so far. Then, there are these aliens, which sound like power-ups akin to the drill, fire caps, etc seen in Super Mario Galaxy 2. it's a gimmick, but it's not a game-changer; just a fun twist to traditional gameplay, not something totally different like a werehog.

Granted, I could (unfortunately) be proven wrong, but based solely on what we know right now, I feel pretty safe, actually. There's no sword, no looming transformations, no guns, no weird new characters (PLAYABLE characters, anyway), and supposedly has the same kinda gameplay from Unleashed's day stages with new innovative power-ups... it COULD work! :D

And it sounds like, based on all this, that they know exactly what's wrong, and they're trying to fix it.

Edited by EXshad

Obviously. My main point was that new gimmicks a bad game doesn't make, and as Nathan nicely put: games without gimmicks don't exist.

New gimmicks alone don't make a bad game, but with Sonic Team/Sega's track record with gimmicks and level design being as bad as it is, they'll have to pull something immensely special out of the bag here if they want people to re-evaluate their outlook on 3D Sonic.

Like I said, this colour thing is interesting, but it's also fraught with risks. Considering how Unleashed's lead people were in love with the Werehog while the rest of Sega warned against it, I can't have any hope for this one.