Awoo.

Sonic Colours: New Wii/DS game

Remy

Dimps working on the DS version is goooood news. Their 2D Sonic games have been the most critically successful in recent times (Advance/Rush series) so it's good to know they're on board for this one too. Hopefully it will mean even if Sonic Team's Wii version is a flop, there'll be at least one half-decent version of the game to play.

As long as them working on this doesn't interfere with Sonic 4 too much, I don't mind.

Well to be fair, Dimps is a large team that has been doing several titles lately, even out of the Sonic Realm.

I mean they recently just finished co-producing Super Street Fighter IV with Capcom for instance.

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper

Sonic Team & Dimps are pretty much lovers now, both working together on Sonic 4 and Sonic Colours DS.

I'm a little worried about Sonic 4... but it got delayed right? Hopefully they're giving it the attention it deserves while working on Colours.

I'm so glad Dimps is working STRICTLY on the DS version, while Sonic Team has the console version all to themselves. So far, I'm really optimistic about this title, it sounds like they can finally get it right.

SEGA, just PLEASE change the title....

As for the "dimps is working on Sonic 4, why can't they just focus on that!!!!" argument, I'm sure there's separate divisions working on both titles. Not to worry guys ;)

Though I think for myself and watching others it's very interesting. I would say people are having cautionary hype towards the game, I can just see everyone so far pleased with what they see but then also be cautious to get too excited and weary of things like gameplay and in-game graphics. I just hope to god they realize we want a platformer and would likely prefer that to Unleashed style stages. Not saying Unleashed was bad, but I mean there was too little exploration to many's liking and Sonic often felt like a race car. We don't want that realize, and please don't be on-rails like Secret Rings or Black Knight...

I'm there too, since the game in terms of aesthetics and themes looks fine, in my opinion great, but we don't want something to ruin the potential it has.

Not saying Unleashed was bad, but I mean there was too little exploration to many's liking and Sonic often felt like a race car.

Not just a race car, a race car with really shitty handling. Seriously, Sonic can't turn to save his life outside of a drift... And if he can't turn normally, he shouldn't be able to drift either. DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. :lol:

Edited by Masaru Daimon

I think I'm more interested in the DS version now.

I'm pretty mixed with what Sonic Team has done on the Wii. Secret Rings was pretty good, but Black Knight was one of the worst Sonic games I've played. Dimps gets it right more often, especially on the DS (Rush = awesome). However, there's still a chance this could be a cheap version to make money like Unleashed Wii though. This seems even more likely since Dimps' main Sonic focus is Sonic 4.

It's gonna be interesting seeing how both versions turn out.

We don't want that realize, and please don't be on-rails like Secret Rings or Black Knight...

It being like Unleashed Wii would be disappointing, but it being on-rails would probably kill all interest I have. And I actually liked Secret Rings.

However, with 2D gameplay being accounted for, I don't think it will be on-rails.

Edited by SykoTech

the fact that Sonic team is focusing more in the Wii version could be a good sign after all. We know that this isn't a crap storybook sequel, so no more in rails gameplay (hopefully). I think they'll focusing on Sonic Unleashed daytime style

Just made the Colours announcement trailer music my ringtone and used the new artwork as my phone wallpaper.

WAY past cool. B)

8-bit Sonic Colors would be quite fun! I imagine a mix of Alex Kidd and Sonic Chaos. The Whisps would look cute in pixel form.

Well, the game seems promising by what its info says. But it wouldn't hurt if it was possible to play as tails, his appearance says nothing about him playable or not , so i hope he is playable (Wouldn't pretty much mind it being another solo game) .

so, now we're gotta wait for quite some time for something new to be revealed... there are no word for saying how much I hate to wait this long :(

Anyway I have my feeling that this game will come out in November (6 months then ): )

to Alex2beta: seeing Tails "running" alongside Sonic is a direct positive meaning for me. there were no other main chars in any other teaser trailer in past 2 years game (referring to SSR, SU and SBK). Consider the fact that Tails was also kinda scrapped from any significant role lately, so I think that SEGA is looking forward about him to be more important in the series. Then I am absolutely sure about him to be playable in some way.

Edited by BlueHedgehog92

I've very mixed feelings on this one still at the minute- I'd rather they got Sonic 4 sorted first before they start dicking about in Wii / DS territory again. As far as I'm concerned, this game seems to be to cater towards the much younger fans, as they've not really had much to get excited about since Black Knight, with SEGA teasing Sonic 4 towards the 'older' fans and such in the meantime.

The title for this game hasn't grown on me yet, it still sounds stupid. Sonic Colours? Reminds me of Mario Paint. :lol: The whole concept doesn't sound too invigorating either, and the 'Wisp Powers' just sound like a combination of something from Galaxy and Mega Man, nothing clever or unique. Also, all this talk of 'whoa shit you run really fast too' isn't tying me over, maybe it'll be on rails like the Storybook series was? By the sounds of those speed comments anyway, and the fact Dimps is making the portable version, we'll probably be getting the Rush boost back for the DS version at least.

I'll hold off any further judgement until official gameplay pops up, but until then colour me uninterested. =X Just my opinion. :P

Edited by bolt7

I've very mixed feelings on this one still at the minute- I'd rather they got Sonic 4 sorted first before they start dicking about in Wii / DS territory again. As far as I'm concerned, this game seems to be to cater towards the much younger fans, as they've not really had much to get excited about since Black Knight, with SEGA teasing Sonic 4 towards the 'older' fans and such in the meantime.

The title for this game hasn't grown on me yet, it still sounds stupid. Sonic Colours? Reminds me of Mario Paint. :lol: The whole concept doesn't sound too invigorating either, and the 'Wisp Powers' just sound like a combination of something from Galaxy and Mega Man, nothing clever or unique. Also, all this talk of 'whoa shit you run really fast too' isn't tying me over, maybe it'll be on rails like the Storybook series was? By the sounds of those speed comments anyway, and the fact Dimps is making the portable version, we'll probably be getting the Rush boost back for the DS version at least.

I'll hold off any further judgement until official gameplay pops up, but until then colour me uninterested. =X Just my opinion. :P

you're quite right. Even if this game will be mine no doubt, the reason I would be very excited about this game are:

-other playable chars (Tails, Knuckles most)

- NO IN RAILS GAMEPLAY, so far away from storybook games

- more features like minigames and/or Chao Garden

- Sonic Adventure style game with 2D portions

I've very mixed feelings on this one still at the minute- I'd rather they got Sonic 4 sorted first before they start dicking about in Wii / DS territory again.

There are more than enough members of Sonic Team and Dimps that work can be split over multiple games. Many studios operate this way, so there's no need to fear quality dipping for one game because work is being done on another. Even if 'Colors' was not being developed, I doubt the devs of that game would be working on 'Sonic 4' as '4' would be well staffed as it is.

If anything this is great news as Sonic Team will be working to refine 2D gameplay AND 3D gameplay simultaneously via three projects (I'm counting the DS and Wii versions of 'Colors' as two games) rather than working solely on a 2D game and then a 3D game, which would take much more time.

I really like the title, myself. I was expecting a generic Sonic [Extreme Word] title, so to get something like Colours was a big surprise, and not an unpleasant one. Sure, it immediately made me think of Mario Paint and de Blob, but it's been a while since a Sonic game has intrigued me like this in addition to just exciting me, and I think the weird title has a fair bit to do with that.

...if nothing else, the buildup for this game should make the wait for Sonic 4 more bearable. I can't call the delays on that game anything but a positive now that I've got something else to occupy myself with.

i'm thinking to push SEGA for more playable chars, I think I'll open a new thread with a pool

I noticed that the whisp (I will not get used to typing that) in the foreground of the Nintendo Power cover (floating next to Sonic) has a unique blue tentacle coming from his forehead. I wonder if that will be a unique whisp that acts as the "main" character of all of them with a name (Curly?) in the same way that Doctor Chao was a unique character, or the E-102 Flicky was unique.

picture1pa.png

Our latest tutorial character Curly the Whisp?

Edited by Doctor Eggman

There are more than enough members of Sonic Team and Dimps that work can be split over multiple games. Many studios operate this way, so there's no need to fear quality dipping for one game because work is being done on another. Even if 'Colors' was not being developed, I doubt the devs of that game would be working on 'Sonic 4' as '4' would be well staffed as it is.

If anything this is great news as Sonic Team will be working to refine 2D gameplay AND 3D gameplay simultaneously via three projects (I'm counting the DS and Wii versions of 'Colors' as two games) rather than working solely on a 2D game and then a 3D game, which would take much more time.

Yeah, I suppose you're right there. Besides, no-one knows what's going on internally at SEGA anyway 'cept for AAUK and a few other people that work there whom visit SSMB. I have my suspicions Dimps made Sonic 4 up to this point, and now SEGA are planning on fiddling with it themselves ready for the new release date. Dimps are probably working on Colours DS now anyway. Could be wrong though, like I say you only really know the specifics if you work there. :P