Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

The 3DS model can't have a "Lite" as it's the same size as the DS Lite itself. A 3DS XL would make more sense.

Lite is just used as the term for a new model. The article itself says the new 3DS would be thicker.

I never upgraded my phat DS and chances are I won't upgrade my 3DS either. Maybe if they did make a 3DSXL with a second slide pad, but I'm pretty happy with my 3DS for now. I've never bought an upgrade for a console/handheld if my original was if fine working condition. All I care is that it plays games and a few improvements aren't enough to get me to rebuy the same thing.

I never liked the DSLite (although I bought one for my brother and my mom); they just looked and felt too flimsy compared to the original. Besides, the vast majority of DSLites I've seen have broken hinges or are replacements because of broken hinges. I did add a DSi alongside my original DS since it actually did something different (and gave me a reasonable excuse to have a second unit for swapping Pokemon, etc.) but I gave that to my niece after getting a 3DS since the 3DS did everything the DSi did. I agree that an XL version of the 3DS would be good - I know several people who won't get a 3DS because the screens are too small after their XLs, but I probably wouldn't buy one of those myself.

I like the thickness of the current 3DS. 'Improving the thickness' sounds like they're going to make it thicker, which seems strange, but I'd be concerned if they tried to make it thinner since it already has rub issues with the frame around the bottom screen closing against the top screen. If they were altering the model I'd expect to see this second thumbstick that a lot of people seem to think can't be done without.

I'd probably buy a 3DS if they released one that didn't look like it was cobbled together out of three different designs. My brother has had his for two weeks and he already has a scratch on the screen protector on his touch screen.

My brother has had his for two weeks and he already has a scratch on the screen protector on his touch screen.

So... does this basically mean he doesn't take care of his things? Cause I don't see how that's an issue with the 3DS itself.

• Thumbs Up 5

So... does this basically mean he doesn't take care of his things? Cause I don't see how that's an issue with the 3DS itself.

Except for the whole "screens scratch each other" issue that has been a known thing with the system design since it came out, you are absolutely right.

:rolleyes:

But I see the tone of this thread is just as bad as it always has been, so I think I'll take my leave.

I usually get the lines every time I open the console, but they seem to just wipe away with ease.

It is a design fault though, not due to carelessness.

I took the rubber stoppers from the bottom of the 360 and stuck them on the top screen. Never got the lines ever again.

There's no reason to hold onto a DS anymore, unless you want it for GBA games. If it's a DSi? Then most definitely. Screw it and upgrade.

Thanks for the advice, yeah it is a DS lite but I have a GBA to play my older games so yeah I will upgrade at some point. Anybody seen any offers on them recently?

Luckily I'm so meticulous when it comes to my systems that I had screen protectors on my 3DS day 1. It does get grease lines but they wipe right off. Don't take this as me defending Nintendo though. It's a shitty design flaw that should have been caught.

Any of you European folk get the download code for 3D classics Kid Icarus. I'm curious to see how it is. I wish we had it in the US because I've never owned the game and I would like to complete it before KIU comes out.

I took the rubber stoppers from the bottom of the 360 and stuck them on the top screen. Never got the lines ever again.

Same. It's really bad that people have to resort to such measures.

Except for the whole "screens scratch each other" issue that has been a known thing with the system design since it came out, you are absolutely right.

rolleyes.gif

But I see the tone of this thread is just as bad as it always has been, so I think I'll take my leave.

Bloody hell... overreaction much? The touch screen has a raised ridge surrounding it which, when the system is closed, rubs against the upper screen. That's what causes scratches, but it's a one way thing. There's nothing around to do any damage to the touch screen.

I usually get the lines every time I open the console, but they seem to just wipe away with ease.

It is a design fault though, not due to carelessness.

Scratches on the upper screen are due to a design fault. Touch screen damage would have to be caused by something else.

Bolt's issue with his 3DS dying on him has made me think, really.

Up until the DS Lite, if your DS was ever lost or stolen, you basically lost the handheld itself and any game you might have had in it at the time. But now, with the DSi/ 3DS, meaning a lot of downloadable games, if your 3DS is lost or stolen, you stand to lose every piece of software you've downloaded at once.

Thankfully my 3DS is safe and sound, but I can't help but wonder; if the worst should happen, is there actually a way to retrieve and redownload your games to a new machine without having to buy them again? Since your original would be lost, there'd be no way to do a system transfer, after all.

Even if you had a backup of the SD card, they wouldn't work on the new system, would they?

Nintendo has sent out updates for games and applications from the eShop.

There are patches for Netflix, Pushmo, Pokedex 3D, Super Mario Land, Kirby's Dream Land, and Kirby’s Adventure 3D Classic. I don't know what the updates do, as I haven't downloaded most of them yet.

To check if any of your games or apps can be updated, go to the “Your Downloads” section in the eShop settings.

Also, from a Game Sales magazine in Japan, the 3DS has sold over 1 million units in just December.

Nintendo 3DS broke Enterbrain's monthly sales record in December. The system sold 1,492,931 units over the month. This is the highest single month sales total since Enterbrain started tracking sales in 1997. Enterbrain's December tracking period covers November 28 through December 25.

3DS has has claimed Enterbrain's top monthly sales spot for seven months running. PlayStation Vita was the second highest selling system for the month, with 402,794 units. Vita was released on the 17th.

Looks like the 3DS has pretty much dominated most of japan as the main console. This is very good, though I do also hope the Vita can get up on it's feet. The hardware and launch games for it are pretty damn impressive.

One more interesting thing I found out about today, but I may be late.

You know the communites in Mario Kart 7 right? Well originally they were meant to be apart of the Nintendo 3ds itself.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/11/29/mario-kart-7s-community-feature-was-originally-meant-for-the-nintendo-3ds-itself/

so due to a tight schedule, they couldn't do it in time and had to implement it in Mario Kart 7. This is fine and dandy and all Nintendo, but you are going to put this in a future 3DS update now that you're free right? RIGHT?

Edited by Nintendoga

Starting playing SMT: DS Overclocked again after I finally managed to beat Beldr. Now that I've gotten further, Drain is a seriously OP skill if your magic is high enough. It pretty much cripples your enemy if you can get in 1-2 uses on the big bad of the team, all thats left after that is to completely rape them with whatever skills you have, or just drain the shit out of them like a glutton for mucho' health and magic points.

Were you expecting people to suddenly come around and start praising such mediocrity?

Edited by Edward_Elric

NEW GAMES AVAILABLE TO BUY WITH COINS THE NA CLUB NINTENDO:

Wii Majora's Mask- 150

Wii Dr Mario Online Rx- 100

3DS Kirby's Dream Land- 100

3DS Dr Mario Express- 150

This set of games will be available until January 31.

Edited by Ekaje

NEW GAMES AVAILABLE TO BUY WITH COINS THE NA CLUB NINTENDO:

Majora's Mask- 150

Kirby's Dream Land- 100

Dr Mario Online Rx- 100

Dr Mario Express- 150

This set of games will be available until January 31.

Brb, doing surveys and shit to relive my childhood again.

I would assume sometime in the future (if they get enough complaints) Nintendo will update the whole linking structure with Club Nintendo.

So if I basically yell and bitch at Nintendo and show them my purchases they'll connect them to my new 3DS (assuming I get a new one).

I heard about the screen scraping issue, but from what I can tell it only affects the top screen (first time I ever bought screen protectors for a nintendo handheld). This might be the first time I'll actually upgrade to the light version of a nintendo handheld, simply because the 3DS has a sort of... flimsy feel with the hinges, and then there is the screen issue. I feel like I have to hold it delicately, whereas the bulky original DS could fall out of a car for me and still be fine. Then there is that annoying glossy look to the whole handheld (so many fingerprints!). They seem like minor issues, but it's irritating.

Anyone have an issue with the 3DS video? I keep getting an error when it tries to verify I can download videos, but when I put it to sleep mode it downloads more within an hour.

The 3DS isn't that delicate, mine has fallen numerous times and is just fine. I have those stoppers to prevent scratching, though.